What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Nick Chubb, CLE (1 Viewer)

Pass protection is something that can be learned at this level though, correct? It might just not be this year where he sees the field, without an injury to Hyde.

Pass protection is something that can be learned at this level though, correct? It might just not be this year where he sees the field, without an injury to Hyde.
I'll admit to rostering Hyde so I'm biased, but Hyde just runs hard and effectively between the tackles. I'm good with RB's and Chubb has shown me one week with missed blocks. Granted, missed blocks are no way to measure a back, but he hasn't even looked as good as Hyde has. And the Browns won with Hyde toting the rock.That's the answer when Baker is your QB.  

I'll admit to rostering Hyde so I'm biased, but Hyde just runs hard and effectively between the tackles. I'm good with RB's and Chubb has shown me one week with missed blocks. Granted, missed blocks are no way to measure a back, but he hasn't even looked as good as Hyde has. And the Browns won with Hyde toting the rock.That's the answer when Baker is your QB.  
Sure, Hyde has looked great so far, but he has had an injury history in the past. I am rostering both, fwiw. I was just more curious if my assumption that pass pro could be learned at this level fairy easily over time. I'm assuming plenty of others have come up at this level and made the adjustment. 

Sure, Hyde has looked great so far, but he has had an injury history in the past. I am rostering both, fwiw. I was just more curious if my assumption that pass pro could be learned at this level fairy easily over time. I'm assuming plenty of others have come up at this level and made the adjustment. 
I agree. I think they can learn, which is why I was sort of couching my assessment in bias. I truly don't know, but have always been a Hyde supporter. That's really all I can say, as a fan.  

eta* I'm nodding as I read this. Chubb may indeed be the better back. I just don't know, and like Hyde.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Bracie Smathers said:
Got a football take with your personal attacks and emoticons?  
Yeah, here you go: that off target pass was not a drop.

Your continued insistence that it was a drop is just weird. Not a good look. It's obvious it wasn't a drop so when you double and triple down on it being a drop, it just makes you seem like you've got a bone to pick with Chubb or that you are related to Hyde.

The crazy thing is that Chubb's scouting reports said he was a good not great pass blocker. Anyone telling you he's awful at it is wrong.

Yeah, here you go: that off target pass was not a drop.

Your continued insistence that it was a drop is just weird. Not a good look. It's obvious it wasn't a drop so when you double and triple down on it being a drop, it just makes you seem like you've got a bone to pick with Chubb or that you are related to Hyde.
Being related to Hyde is not an automatic assumption of bias in talent judgment other than what we've seen out of an Ohio State product at a pro level. That's hardly stupid. You do this frequently, but I trust pro evaluation over yours at this point given the whiffed block and fumble/punt block a few weeks ago.   

Being related to Hyde is not an automatic assumption of bias in talent judgment other than what we've seen out of an Ohio State product at a pro level. That's hardly stupid. You do this frequently, but I trust pro evaluation over yours at this point given the whiffed block and fumble a few weeks ago.   
I do, too! That's why I read scouting reports on guys rather than use my own eyeball tests. 

Looks like it hit him in the hands AND was too high:

https://youtu.be/DrcfJN8mImw?t=201

Tough catch, I wouldn't knock him for that one
The pass was thrown a bit too firm as well. Would rather see him loft it over the head of defender there as Chubb had defender beat and was pulling away with plenty of field between him and sideline. Good case where the antagonist sees this as a "catchable ball that hit him in the hands" and the protagonist sees this same event as a "bad pass that was thrown too high". Really this micro analysis is not necessary. Nobody is starting Chubb until he starts to get more than 3 carries. This is better than splitting carries in my mind and getting the occasional 20+ point game followed by stinker starts and you are left guessing and splitting will also keep Hyde more fresh and Chubb less fresh for a nice run EOS.

In a perfect world, this usage continues, he stays fresh and Hyde continues to get overworked and Chubb comes in week 10-12ish and gets the same volume of carries as Hyde is now (2nd most in the league iirc) vs tired defenses all impacted by injuries around the league, Chubb having had time to improve his game (including pass protection) and owners will be yelling "King Me" on the game board by December. Seen this happen so many times with similar situations. That potential is worth hanging on to Chubb if you can get through the bye weeks.

Well, in the words of Good Will Hunting, that's smaht. Still disagree on Hyde, though. :)
And FWIW, I also quoted the FBG writeup of Chubb's performance on page 25 in this comment: https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/722506-official-nick-chubb-rb-georgia-dynasty/?do=findComment&comment=21419794

So you don't have to trust one of two random internet posters... just trust the unbiased FBG summary. Or trust the video which showed the pass was just a little too high to catch.

And just so we're clear, what do we disagree about in regard to Hyde? For the record, I think he's an above average runner, above average pass protector, and awful receiver. These things have been well documented by people better versed on the topics than me, so that's why I hold these opinions of him. Despite this overall positive opinion on Hyde, I also believe that, as a whole package, Chubb is already better than Hyde and gives the team a better chance to win.

And FWIW, I also quoted the FBG writeup of Chubb's performance on page 25 in this comment: https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/722506-official-nick-chubb-rb-georgia-dynasty/?do=findComment&comment=21419794

So you don't have to trust one of two random internet posters... just trust the unbiased FBG summary. Or trust the video which showed the pass was just a little too high to catch.

And just so we're clear, what do we disagree about in regard to Hyde? For the record, I think he's an above average runner, above average pass protector, and awful receiver. These things have been well documented by people better versed on the topics than me, so that's why I hold these opinions of him. Despite this overall positive opinion on Hyde, I also believe that, as a whole package, Chubb is already better than Hyde and gives the team a better chance to win.
I agree. I just think he's a better back than rotisserie gives him credit for. I think we don't disagree at all; though I think he's a better receiver than you or many people think. I've been watching him since OSU, and just think he's a professional, quality back. In all respects, though your mileage may vary, as they say.  

I agree. I just think he's a better back than rotisserie gives him credit for. I think we don't disagree at all; though I think he's a better receiver than you or many people think. I've been watching him since OSU, and just think he's a professional, quality back. In all respects, though your mileage may vary, as they say.  
He led the league in drop rate last year (13.2% :shock: ) and I think he's always graded out rather poorly in receiving by PFF metrics. 

Speaking Monday, Browns coach Hue Jackson once again claimed he would work to get Nick Chubb more carries.

"We do need to get Nick Chubb more carries," was Jackson's exact quote. He said the same thing two weeks away and has proceeded to give Chubb the ball six times over the past two games. With Carlos Hyde averaging just 3.35 yards per carry, perhaps Jackson means it this time. Chubb remains worth holding in 12-team leagues.

Source: Mary Kay Cabot on Twitter 

Oct 15 - 2:45 PM

I posted multiple times about Chubb's great game because it was amazing but BEFORE last week's game I noted his poor pass-pro and said he wasn't going to replace Hyde until he improved his pass-pro.  What happened?

• 11 touches
  • 3 runs
  • 2 yards
  • 1 target
  • 0 receptions
  • 1 DROP
Not once in 8 passing attempts was he in pass-pro.  

Browns OC Haley tried to get him on the field in the passing game so the Ravens couldn't key on him as a runner but they didn't respect him as a pass protector or receiver and keyed on him and that is why they were able to shut him down.  He is a liability in the passing game at this time.

They tried but it wasn't working and hurt the offense.  Duke Johnson is the guy who is solid in pass-pro and an excellent receiver and he runs tougher than advertised.  His numbers have suffered and before you automatically say I'm a Duke fan/owner/whatever I don't own any of the Browns backfield.  I am a Browns fan but not a fanboi of any player but Duke needs more touches.

Duke Johnson, frustrated by his lack of chances  After five games last season, he had 23 catches for 270 yards and a TD. This year, he has 10 for 91 yards. At his current clip, he'll finish with 32 catches for 291 yards, and 55 rushes for 240 yards.

Duke had 74 receptions last year and I think Haley will give Duke more touches because Duke is more effective than Chubb in the passing game. 

Its far to easy to accuse anyone who posts positively of being a Chubb owner and then naysay anyone in a Chubb  thread but I've posted positive things about Chubb in this thread and saw the excitement of the Oakland game clouded what to expect when right now he can't pass protect and he shouldn't see the field unless he improves or we'll see more of what we saw against the Ravens.

I have no idea what Haley will do but I would expect Duke to get more touches and that Chubb won't be used as much in the passing game.  Pretty simple take.
Hue is desperately trying to not get fired so he’s playing the veteran. That’s it. After getting drubbed last week and the offence looking brutal I expect the change to start this week.

I was seriously contemplating dropping him for week 7 bye week issues but I think I might reconsider...

Fastest add/drop of my life!

Thank god, as a Fournette/Yeldon owner missing out on Chubb might've ruined my whole season.

Added Chubb and dropped Corey Davis in a minute or less - had to make one fairly easy upside choice. 

Now for the other league with only 4 bench players. Weakest link is Alex Collins. Too much of a reach to drop Collins and pick up Chubb and swing for the fences? IDK

Grabbed Chubb,, ASAP

Dropped Lamar Miller. Miller's status was declining with both Blue (now in a timeshare) and Foreman (soon).

Picked him up for weeks ago when he was dropped thinking it might make for a good lottery ticket. 

Holy crap balls, I feel like I just won the lottery.   :pickle:

I might even start him over Alex Collins at flex this week. 

I own Chubb, but really kinda expect Duke to be the biggest winner here.
 I’m not feeling that at all.   To me it feels like Dukes value isn’t affected in the slightest. He had his role, and it wasn’t a very big one at that. 

If Duke’s role were going to grow substantially, I don’t see why they would’ve brought in Hyde in the first place. 

I’m not feeling that at all.   To me it feels like Dukes value isn’t affected in the slightest. He had his role, and it wasn’t a very big one at that. 

If Dukes roll we’re going to grow substantially, but I don’t see why they would’ve brought in Hyde in the first place. 
Well either the Browns traded Hyde because they feel Chubb has progressed to the point where they can trust him in most game situations, or they still don't trust Chubb, and Duke will be the main beneficiary.

If it was the former, you would have liked and expected to see a gradual ramp-up in Chubb's snaps and touches over the last few weeks.  But that hasn't been happening. 

Was able to swoop in and grab him in 2 leagues off FA, but he got stolen by 2 minutes in 1 league. 

Trying to trade for him now in Dynasty, was worried that it was going to be a 3 headed monster for 3 years, now the path is clear. We'll see if he can take advantage. Also worried that I'll overpay. 

Well either the Browns traded Hyde because they feel Chubb has progressed to the point where they can trust him in most game situations, or they still don't trust Chubb, and Duke will be the main beneficiary.

If it was the former, you would have liked and expected to see a gradual ramp-up in Chubb's snaps and touches over the last few weeks.  But that hasn't been happening. 
Gotta remember, this is a Hue Jackson team. Nothing that makes sense is going to happen.

I'm also in the camp that doesn't believe Duke will be the guy now. He's been a 3rd down back his entire career, and they have a talented 2nd round rookie RB. 

It is interesting but sure seems that the move at least indicates they DO trust Chubb more in game situations.

Users who are viewing this thread