What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Nick Chubb, CLE (2 Viewers)

I’m not feeling that at all.   To me it feels like Dukes value isn’t affected in the slightest. He had his role, and it wasn’t a very big one at that. 

If Duke’s role were going to grow substantially, but I don’t see why they would’ve brought in Hyde in the first place. 
Yeah I wonder if Duke is the play short term in PPR.  Is Chubb much of a pass catcher (IDK)?  But I think with lasst week's game Mayfield should be rallying for a pass catching RB to help him out..

TB has a tough run D.  Not sure how much we'll learn this week.
Yes and no.  From a purely statistical standpoint, yes, they are a top run defense. 

That said, in my 1 ppr league, they have given up the 7th most points to RBs in fantasy scoring.  Must be receiving yards, but this is not a matchup to avoid.

Gotta remember, this is a Hue Jackson team. Nothing that makes sense is going to happen.

I'm also in the camp that doesn't believe Duke will be the guy now. He's been a 3rd down back his entire career, and they have a talented 2nd round rookie RB. 
This, exactly. 

Well either the Browns traded Hyde because they feel Chubb has progressed to the point where they can trust him in most game situations, or they still don't trust Chubb, and Duke will be the main beneficiary.

If it was the former, you would have liked and expected to see a gradual ramp-up in Chubb's snaps and touches over the last few weeks.  But that hasn't been happening. 
I’ve learned not to expect anything resembling normal from Hue Jackson. This is the guy who, after watching his 1st round rookie QB shred the defense that was stifling Tyrod Taylor, propelling his 0-23-1 team to their first win in forever, said, “I’ll have to watch the game film to make a determination on who the starter will be next week.” 

So yeah - don’t try to apply logic to the man’s process.

as for Duke, he’s had more than ample chance to prove himself starter-worthy. He’s a 3rd down back at best. 

But hey, that’s me trying to be logical about Hue as well, so for all we know Duke will be the starter & Chubb will stay on the bench.

based on the trade & reading the tea leaves, I’m thinking this wasn’t Hue’s decision, nor will it be his decision to start Chubb - I get the feeling that Hue was told to start Chubb. 

Yes and no.  From a purely statistical standpoint, yes, they are a top run defense. 

That said, in my 1 ppr league, they have given up the 7th most points to RBs in fantasy scoring.  Must be receiving yards, but this is not a matchup to avoid.
It’s one of those “everyone throws like silly on them so their run stats look good” kinda deals. 

They aren’t great against the run but they’re horrific against the pass. 

And with McCoy out, this is a jackpot start if they feed Chubb the ball. 

But if, as every team has done to date, they come out winging it all over the place, then we’’d have to hope Chubb is involved in the passing game to be productive. 

I think CLE will run the rookie 20x to make a statement this week. Plus Hue’s old school enough to know that this is how you slow down TB’s incredibly productive offense - keep them off the field. 

But again, that’s me assigning logical talking points to a Hue Jackson team, which isn’t always a sensible approach. 

Yeah I wonder if Duke is the play short term in PPR.  Is Chubb much of a pass catcher (IDK)?  But I think with lasst week's game Mayfield should be rallying for a pass catching RB to help him out..
Chubb 'should' be the lead RB but he hasn't been used as a receiver, 1 target and 0 receptions.  The coaching staff wasn't using him much as a runner as he averaged less than 3 carries a game but he's going to have to prove himself in pass protection and hopefully he can learn to catch the ball so the coaching staff can use him on passing downs.  

Chubb should clean up as the short yardage/goal line back.  

Duke had 93 targets last year  with 74 receptions and this year he has 22 targets and 14 receptions.  Over the last five games Duke has a catch rate of over 80%.  He is one of the best receiving backs in the league and the Browns signed him to an extension.  I expect he will see the field on passing downs a lot and that Chubb is going to pick up goal and short yardage situations.  Win-win for both of them.

Hyde wasn't great in pass protection and Chubb is simply not used so he basically is terrible in pass-pro.  Duke has missed a lot this year but had been solid in the past.

I'm guessing the coaching staff figured that Hyde is a liability in the passing game and so is Chubb but Chubb is a better runner and 'might' improve in the passing game and they can lean on Duke in the passing game while Chubb learns on the fly.

Picked him up for weeks ago when he was dropped thinking it might make for a good lottery ticket. 

Holy crap balls, I feel like I just won the lottery.   :pickle:

I might even start him over Alex Collins at flex this week. 
Same. I dropped R Jones TB to pick him up before Chubb’s 3 carry 100 yd 2 TD day. 

The Sony Michel owners will all agree that while catches are great, they'll take the 20 touches per game. 
Chubb isn't getting 20 touches a game if he's a liability in passing situations.  I don't know how many carries he'll get but he's going to have to earn any targets in the passing game and they haven't used him in pass protection.   

Everyone immediately plugging him in as an RB1 this week. While TB does rank in the top 7-9 depending on scoring in points allowed to RBs, it's deceptive. TB has been riddled by receiving RBs:

* Kamara: 9-112-1

* T. Cohen: 7-121-1

* J. Connor: 5-34

* C. Clement: 5-55

The YPC looks pretty good.

Then again, G. McCoy is out so the hell with it.

I’m a Chubb owner and obviously happy with this trade, but I suspect the coaching staff is not happy Hyde was traded.  It feels like the front office there decided to get rid of Hyde to force the coaches to play Duke and Chubb.  Just a gut feeling . . .

Chubb isn't getting 20 touches a game if he's a liability in passing situations.  I don't know how many carries he'll get but he's going to have to earn any targets in the passing game and they haven't used him in pass protection.   
Is your point that Chubb is merely a two down back? Given how bad RB has been this year, I'm totally cool with that.

I’m a Chubb owner and obviously happy with this trade, but I suspect the coaching staff is not happy Hyde was traded.  It feels like the front office there decided to get rid of Hyde to force the coaches to play Duke and Chubb.  Just a gut feeling . . .
They traded him late on a Friday after the game plan was implemented so yeah, good take

...and the fact that JAX is panicking and worked out a deal. CLE GM, John Dorsey, is proud of his picks and generally hits. Didn't he pick Mahomes while in KC? And Mayfield and Chubb? Experts are saying Chubb could be the best of all of them even Barkley???

What exactly has 2-32 Hue done to deserve anything?  He's lucky he's still cashing paychecks.

#indorseywetrust  (not on twitter, but it should exist)

:drive:

Your backup RB looks dynamite in spot duty, you talk about getting him more touches, and then you trade your starter.

It's all systems go for me. Duke Johnson will vulture some catches and Chubb probably won't be strong enough in the receptions department to carry FF teams in the same way that somebody like Barkley can, but you still have to be excited about this news. He immediately jumps up into the redraft RB2 and maybe fringe RB1 conversation.

Last edited by a moderator:
:drive:

Your backup RB looks dynamite in spot duty, you talk about getting him more touches, and then you trade your starter.

It's all systems go for me. Duke Johnson will vulture some catches and Chubb probably won't be strong enough in the receptions department to carry FF teams in the same that somebody like Barkley can, but you still have to be excited about this news. He immediately jumps up into the redraft RB2 and maybe fringe RB1 conversation.
:hifive:

TB Run D tough. Start Chubb over Ito Smith?

Yea, bet on talent. Chubb is miles better than Ito in terms of individual ability.

Even if he gets bottled up for most of the game, he's the kind of guy who can break a 50 yarder out of thin air.

Ugh.  With Cook being sidelined again and concerning me for future weeks, I decided to drop Chubb yesterday for some solid help now at RB.  Congrats all you Chubb owners. 

That being said, Duke is going to get more touches, especially receptions.  If you missed out on Chubb and have a roster spot, grab Duke now.  Duke is not big but he is a good football player. 

Oh man if this is true props to John Dorsey. He might be an even bigger genius than I thought before. He is saving Hue from himself.

... Chubb comes in week 10-12ish and gets the same volume of carries as Hyde is now (2nd most in the league iirc) vs tired defenses all impacted by injuries around the league, Chubb having had time to improve his game (including pass protection) and owners will be yelling "King Me" on the game board by December. Seen this happen so many times with similar situations. That potential is worth hanging on to Chubb if you can get through the bye weeks.
"King me" came a little early this year. Thanks Mr. Dorsey.

Figures, I was close on a trade for him in one dynasty league. Guy has no interest in trading him now and I can't blame him.

At least I've got Chubb on my bench in one redraft, plugging him in this week with Conner on Bye. :drive:

I’ll enjoy not reading you post this everyday day after Sunday.
Saquon Barkley is averaging 14 rushes per game and he can pass protect and catch the ball so he doesn't come off the field unless he has a long run and needs a breather.  He's never had 20 rushes in a game in his NFL career to this point.

Nick Chubb isn't going to get 20 touches a game if he's a liability in the passing game.

Users who are viewing this thread