What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Rashaad Penny, CAR (1 Viewer)

I think he stays healthy,
Why?
I do *not* think he stays healthy. However, I've held out hope for Penny primarily because he was a workhorse at SDSU, including returns duty. Obviously, you can't ignore his NFL resume... but could he be a Fred Taylor who struggles early and then becomes reliable? Perhaps.
Sure - it's certainly possible he does stay healthy. Injuries can be fluky and Taylor is a good example, but based on his track record it's hard to be confident about it.

I think he stays healthy,
Why?
I do *not* think he stays healthy. However, I've held out hope for Penny primarily because he was a workhorse at SDSU, including returns duty. Obviously, you can't ignore his NFL resume... but could he be a Fred Taylor who struggles early and then becomes reliable? Perhaps.
Sure - it's certainly possible he does stay healthy. Injuries can be fluky and Taylor is a good example, but based on his track record it's hard to be confident about it.
I'm not confident he stays healthy, but I also don't think injury prone relative to other players a the position is a real thing in most cases. Finely-tuned large fast humans colliding with other finely-tuned large fast humans over and over makes every player injury prone. The fact a guy like Penny has suffered 5 or so injuries throughout the course of the thousands of collisions or the hours of tuning seems more likely to be bad luck to this point than to indicate he's just more susceptible to being injured than other players.
So yeah, if it were only the injuries suppressing his ADP, I'd say we can't predict that as well as we think we can and I'd happily take the injury discount. My bigger concern is that he's a 2 down back on a bad offense.

I'm not confident he stays healthy, but I also don't think injury prone relative to other players a the position is a real thing in most cases. Finely-tuned large fast humans colliding with other finely-tuned large fast humans over and over makes every player injury prone. The fact a guy like Penny has suffered 5 or so injuries throughout the course of the thousands of collisions or the hours of tuning seems more likely to be bad luck to this point than to indicate he's just more susceptible to being injured than other players.
So yeah, if it were only the injuries suppressing his ADP, I'd say we can't predict that as well as we think we can and I'd happily take the injury discount. My bigger concern is that he's a 2 down back on a bad offense.
I used to subscribe to that theory as well, but some players, either due to their style of play, their lack of specific training or conditioning, rehab commitment, ability or willingness to play through injury, or just plain physical durability, succumb to injuries at a different rate than other players. Penny, for whatever reason, has been one of those players who has missed an unusually large amount of playing time due to injuries. Perhaps it truly is just a string of really bad luck, as you suggest, but that seems less likely to me than that he has been more susceptible to injury than the typical RB. Ignore Penny's history of injuries at your own peril. That said, I think we are mostly on the same page with Penny's value.

When he has been on the field, Penny has displayed signs of his first-round talent. I am not completely out on him for fantasy purposes. However, you have to build into his price not only his injury history, but an offense on the decline and the eventual presence of another very talented back. Even if Penny picks up where he left off last season, once Walker returns, it seems likely the Seahawks will work Walker into a sizable share of the workload. For an offense that is likely to struggle to get into the redzone as often as in previous years, a RBBC may doom the values of both Penny and Walker.

If you have Penny, you are probably starting him Week 1. If you are not starting him now, when will you start him? He enters the game healthy and without a committee situation for this week, at least. Start him, and then look for a trade partner if he performs well.

used to subscribe to that theory as well, but some players, either due to their style of play, their lack of specific training or conditioning, rehab commitment, ability or willingness to play through injury, or just plain physical durability, succumb to injuries at a different rate than other players. Penny, for whatever reason, has been one of those players who has missed an unusually large amount of playing time due to injuries.
It's true that has been the case, but it still boils down to 4-5 injuries over the course of a career. One just happened to be a big one that took 1.5+ years to recover from, that would have happened to any RB if their knee was forced the wrong way. Can't make real predictions based on that amount of data imo.

I used to subscribe to that theory as well, but some players, either due to their style of play, their lack of specific training or conditioning, rehab commitment, ability or willingness to play through injury, or just plain physical durability, succumb to injuries at a different rate than other players. Penny, for whatever reason, has been one of those players who has missed an unusually large amount of playing time due to injuries. Perhaps it truly is just a string of really bad luck, as you suggest, but that seems less likely to me than that he has been more susceptible to injury than the typical RB. Ignore Penny's history of injuries at your own peril. That said, I think we are mostly on the same page with Penny's value.

When he has been on the field, Penny has displayed signs of his first-round talent. I am not completely out on him for fantasy purposes. However, you have to build into his price not only his injury history, but an offense on the decline and the eventual presence of another very talented back. Even if Penny picks up where he left off last season, once Walker returns, it seems likely the Seahawks will work Walker into a sizable share of the workload. For an offense that is likely to struggle to get into the redzone as often as in previous years, a RBBC may doom the values of both Penny and Walker.

If you have Penny, you are probably starting him Week 1. If you are not starting him now, when will you start him? He enters the game healthy and without a committee situation for this week, at least. Start him, and then look for a trade partner if he performs well.
Agree here. No better time to roll him out if you don't have a substantially better option.

Starting him at RB 2 over Montgomery this week.

They've paid him to carry the load, on a one year deal. Will they break-in Walker? sure. For an 8th round RB2 that blew the doors off for a month + when he got his shot - and this year's o-line is A LOT better than last season.

I think he'll have a good season, I just think the Broncos have the personnel to say "we're going to make Geno Smith beat us" and that Penny could fall flat Week 1. Luckily, Seattle gets to play the crappy teams too and he'll have his weeks. I just think starting him Week 1 could be troublesome.

The counterargument to this of course, is that Penny is probably their best chance to score in the Red Zone and if it's a blowout he'll be catching passes. 56 rush yards, a touchdown, and 3 catches seems like his floor. If he doesn't score a TD it's probably a sour week, but it's like that for all players not just Penny. It's just Geno Smith being the guy makes my stomach turns, I get that means high volume but then that just opens him up for injury concerns.

You can't have it all! Would love Penny at RB3 or FLEX. Not Week 1 though, Denver defense allowed the fewest PPG last season.

PFF ranks Seattle's OL dead last 32nd of 32. Playing Denver. Geno Smith.

Absolutely would not start, especially over someone like Montgomery.

Injure-prone red flag not even needed.

Rashaad Penny rushed 12 times for 60 yards in the Seahawks' Week 1 win over the Broncos.​

With Ken Walker (hernia) inactive, Penny handled 12-of-13 backfield carries and actually had a couple big gains called back on penalties. His stat line could've looked much different. Walker has yet to practice since mid-August. Penny could get another week as the clear No. 1 next Sunday against the 49ers. Penny will be a volume-based RB2 in that scenario.
Sep 13, 2022, 12:01 AM ET

Penny looked as good as his drafters could have hoped.
The OL and overall offense looked as bad as his detractors predicted.
Hopefully those rookie tackles improve as the season goes on, but he's a firm "leave on the bench" guy right now. Penny does seem like he might just house it every couple times he touches it though. So it might be really annoying having on your bench too :laugh:

Rashaad Penny rushed 14 times for 66 yards in the Seahawks' Week 3 loss to the Falcons, adding a three-yard reception.​

Penny remained mired in a three-man committee, though he did handle 14-of-21 running back carries. He comfortably out-snapped Ken Walker and DeeJay Dallas. Would-be third-down back Travis Homer departed early with a rib injury. Penny's 14 carries were a new season high, but it's still not enough for the noted "rhythm" back. There has been little indication coach Pete Carroll will consider a different deployment moving forward, making Penny a rather-uninspiring FLEX despite his 10-12 carry floor.
Sep 25, 2022, 8:03 PM ET

Low floor, but I think I'm rolling him out against the Leos with Swift and Mitchell down. It's him or Akers, and I think I like Penny's chances to house one better than Akers this week.
Very similar here. Considering vs other timeshare backs in Mostert and Henderson. I guess matchup suggests going with Penny but man like you said that floor is so low.

Low floor, but I think I'm rolling him out against the Leos with Swift and Mitchell down. It's him or Akers, and I think I like Penny's chances to house one better than Akers this week.
Game plan could definitely be ball control, rush heavy attack to keep Detroit's passing attack off the field. Question is can the Seahawks keep drives going? If Gino can maintain some kind of passing attack then that's a boost to Penny's potential.

Love it!

Back to the bench is likely though with that NO road matchup next week.
Not sure NO is a tough matchup at all. Saints gave up over 100 yards twice in 4 games, and Dalvin Cook could have had a big game if he wasn't "vultured" twice. Truth be told, I'm not sure Seattle isn't the better team right now.

Love it!

Back to the bench is likely though with that NO road matchup next week.
Not sure NO is a tough matchup at all. Saints gave up over 100 yards twice in 4 games, and Dalvin Cook could have had a big game if he wasn't "vultured" twice. Truth be told, I'm not sure Seattle isn't the better team right now.

Good point but looking into those games, the 100-yd backs were CMC and Patterson and both were on the road. At home that Saints defense held Fournette & Dalvin in check (although yeah, he was vultured).

I'm not at the point where I trust the Seahawks or Penny on the road against a decent defense, with a secondary that could limit how they stretch the field. That Lions defense is bad, and at this point you start anyone you have against them. I'm going to bench Penny this week but I hope he keeps showing out and stays healthy. Against the right matchups he can explode.

I have trouble starting him because i keep thinking Walker is inevitably going to steal his carries but this guy is a legit stud

Walker isn't going to get more involved than he is unless Penny gets hurt, sucks, or game is a blow out. So start him with confidence.

Rashaad Penny (shoulder) did not practice Wednesday.​

Coming off his big Week 4 against the Lions where he rushed for 17/151/2, Penny was working off to the side with the training staff Wednesday. If Penny is unable to gain clearance for Week 5 versus New Orleans, rookie Ken Walker would figure to get the first crack at early-down work.
RELATED:
Oct 5, 2022, 7:35 PM ET

This is my shocked face:
:sadbanana:

Oh come on! It's just a shoulder...

for now. :oldunsure:

And so it begins . . .

And so it ends . . .
It’s the most predictable of all outcomes. I mean, it specifically. But he do he like that.
I really feel terrible for him, he was having an excellent year. Dude runs hard. Those sorts of twisting breaks can happen to anyone, it's a brutal game.

This is my shocked face:

And so it begins . . .

And so it ends . . .
It’s the most predictable of all outcomes. I mean, it specifically. But he do he like that.
I really feel terrible for him, he was having an excellent year. Dude runs hard. Those sorts of twisting breaks can happen to anyone, it's a brutal game.
Yes - no question. I bear Penny no Ill will.

Maybe it’s his running style. Maybe he’s fragile. Whatever it is, dude is snakebit.

This is my shocked face:

And so it begins . . .

And so it ends . . .

Maybe it’s his running style. Maybe he’s fragile. Whatever it is, dude is snakebit.
It's that he plays football. No other reason.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports that RB Rashaad Penny will undergo tests on his fractured fibula, but "the belief is surgery is coming."​

Surgery would end Penny's season, marking a gutting end to his season. Penny was as good as ever against the Lions in Week 4 and averaged 6.8 yards per carry on eight attempts before exiting Week 6. Penny is a free agent after the season, which means that this injury will likely impact 2023 as well as this season if teams are hesitant to bring him in as a starter. Penny was making a strong case for another big opportunity next season. His 2022 rushing total stands at 57 carries for 346 yards (6.1 ypc) and two TDs.
SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Oct 10, 2022, 8:57 AM ET

Rashaad Penny Out For Season With Broken Fibula

Pete Carroll confirmed he needs surgery. Such a shame. Dude is a beast when he's on the field
Really feel bad for the guy. Took a lot of flak early in his career - probably deservedly so - for his lack of conditioning, but fought back after several injuries to become the force he was drafted to be. Now he’s got to find another job next year - at least he got a good amount of cash for the year.

Like others have said I feel genuinely bad for him after all he's undergone and understanding he signed a one year deal on hopes he could prove to the league he could be healthy for an entire season. This might actually end up being a big assist to him landing back in SEA next year as his FA interest will likely be super low and cheap.

I know he's considered one of the most injury prone or likely to be injured RB's in the game. I can't forget that when SEA surprisingly took him so high one of their reasons they cited was durability in college. Just never know, sometimes the tide turns for people on the injury front but for poor Penny it turned one way and kept going.

This is my shocked face:

And so it begins . . .

And so it ends . . .

It's that he plays football. No other reason.
A lot of dudes play football.

Penny gets hurt all the time.

Maybe it’s just snake-bitten, like I suggested above. Or maybe he has a running style that invites injury.

Some players get tackled and they’re very fluid - like a drunk in a car crash. Some players have a knack for not taking big hits.

Penny just seems to break a lot.

Again - I feel for the guy. Seems like an ok dude, and yeah, there’s been a running gag about setting a watch by his injuries. But after a while it’s a trend. They didn’t call Fragile Fred Taylor that for no reason - Penny is gonna have a hard time finding work next year, despite having some incredible production in the games he’s played.

I’ll certainly invest in him this off-season if I can get him on the cheap.

Last edited:
Penny's really shown something the last couple of seasons and he should be able to come back 100% from this injury. Worth a buy low in dynasty/salary based keeper formats if you can't get him cheap. He still has a chance to be something, in Seattle or elsewhere. Remember "Fragile" Fred Taylor?

Penny's really shown something the last couple of seasons and he should be able to come back 100% from this injury. Worth a buy low in dynasty/salary based keeper formats if you can't get him cheap. He still has a chance to be something, in Seattle or elsewhere. Remember "Fragile" Fred Taylor?
Depends where he ends up, which will assuredly be a one year prove it deal.

If it’s back to Seattle, he’ll undoubtedly be stuck behind Walker and would get a chance only if Walker himself went down. If he goes elsewhere, he’ll likely at best be given a chance to win a starting gig in camp.

We all remember Fred Taylor. Fred started 16 games in his 5th season.

We need a new benchmark if we're going to keep talking about "maybe this year" with Penny.

Depends where he ends up, which will assuredly be a one year prove it deal.

If it’s back to Seattle, he’ll undoubtedly be stuck behind Walker and would get a chance only if Walker himself went down. If he goes elsewhere, he’ll likely at best be given a chance to win a starting gig in camp.

I wouldn't overpay for him, I'm just saying there is precedent for RBs like him to have late stage explosions. Odds are against it but if the price is right, take a swing. He's a rare bell cow if he can shake the injury bug. I really like Walker. I hope Penny catches on elsewhere, it would be tough to keep him of the field no matter how good KWIII performs. Don't want a Denver style RBBC.

We all remember Fred Taylor. Fred started 16 games in his 5th season.
And basically stayed healthy the rest of his career. His injury-riddled career is often overblown.

Users who are viewing this thread