What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Ronald Jones, Cowboys (2 Viewers)

Regarding Chiefs drafting a RB I am concerned about when you see they have two picks in each of the first 4 rounds and then no picks until the 7th. Obviously I'm sure they will make moves with these pics but a team with 8 picks in the top 4 rounds is a team that can afford to spend one on a RB.

I don't put anything in mock drafts for being real informational for what a team is thinking but I did notice McShay's mock draft today had the Chiefs taking Hall in round 2. Now again that's just one guy's opinion and odds of it happening are low but it's not crazy when you consider they have all of those picks to use.

All I know is I"ll feel a lot better about ROJO and CEH if they clear the draft without a big threat coming.

Regarding Chiefs drafting a RB I am concerned about when you see they have two picks in each of the first 4 rounds and then no picks until the 7th. Obviously I'm sure they will make moves with these pics but a team with 8 picks in the top 4 rounds is a team that can afford to spend one on a RB.

I don't put anything in mock drafts for being real informational for what a team is thinking but I did notice McShay's mock draft today had the Chiefs taking Hall in round 2. Now again that's just one guy's opinion and odds of it happening are low but it's not crazy when you consider they have all of those picks to use.

All I know is I"ll feel a lot better about ROJO and CEH if they clear the draft without a big threat coming.
Last several I’ve seen have the Bucs taking Hall at the end of the 1st.

Mocks are meaningless. Who knows where Hall will go or what the Chiefs will do.

I’m sure they’ll take a RB somewhere. I very much doubt it will be Hall. They have way too many gaps to fill to spend that high of a pick.  Color me skeptical.

If I were looking to acquire a KC RB right now I certainly wouldn’t let that dissuade me. :shrug:  

menobrown said:

I agree with this completely. 

I see all these offensive picks for KC, but that's not where their greatest need is. They have to get better on the other side of the ball to compete in their division.

I suspect they'll use both their 1st-rounders on defenders. They MIGHT go WR in the 1st or 2nd depending on value, but I can't see them going RB.

I see all these offensive picks for KC, but that's not where their greatest need is. They have to get better on the other side of the ball to compete in their division.

I suspect they'll use both their 1st-rounders on defenders. They MIGHT go WR in the 1st or 2nd depending on value, but I can't see them going RB.

I don't think when they used first round picks on CEH or Hardman anyone would have said that was their greatest need.

Not sure why everyone is so focused on rounds 1-2.  I could list out about 10 RB's that if they used one of their 4 picks in rounds 3-4 on I'd have some level of concern.

Not sure why everyone is so focused on rounds 1-2.  I could list out about 10 RB's that if they used one of their 4 picks in rounds 3-4 on I'd have some level of concern
Only because rounds one and two are CEH and Jones's death knell. I'm concerned they draft somebody in rounds three and four. In fact, it seems likely they will. This is a team that still aspires to get to the Super Bowl. Perhaps they know this is a down year, but they certainly are in it as long as they have Mahomes and a decent offensive line. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Only because rounds one and two are CEH and Jones's death knell. I'm concerned they draft somebody in rounds three and four. In fact, it seems likely they will. This is a team that still aspires to get to the Super Bowl. Perhaps they know this is a down year, but they certainly are in it as long as they have Mahomes and a decent offensive line. 
I have very little concern about a 3rd or 4th round RB. They need the depth. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see them draft a RB in the 4th then bring back McKinnon on a cheap deal. 

IMO Reid will use CEH & RoJo (and Gore to some extent) exactly as he said he would at the press conference.

If they draft a day 1 RB I’m concerned. 

I have very little concern about a 3rd or 4th round RB. They need the depth. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see them draft a RB in the 4th then bring back McKinnon on a cheap deal. 

IMO Reid will use CEH & RoJo (and Gore to some extent) exactly as he said he would at the press conference.

If they draft a day 1 RB I’m concerned. 
Or day 2

@Joe Bryant
Rojo is listed as 6'1" and 195 on the FBG depth chart, but every other website has him 5'11" and 208.  That's quite a difference.  When we do notice these things, is there someone on your staff you would like us to tell?

@Joe Bryant
Rojo is listed as 6'1" and 195 on the FBG depth chart, but every other website has him 5'11" and 208.  That's quite a difference.  When we do notice these things, is there someone on your staff you would like us to tell?

This doesn't answer your question but might provide context at a higher level. I'm not sure that weights get updated by each team as a player's career goes on. RoJo was a thin/fast slasher at USC (195), he weighed in at the combine at 205, and KC has him now at 208.

He has admitted himself to putting on 20 pounds of muscle after his rookie year. Comparing photos it's obvious he put on weight after his first year.

Essentially, listed weights (regardless of source) for NFL players are BS.

Cheen said:
This doesn't answer your question but might provide context at a higher level. I'm not sure that weights get updated by each team as a player's career goes on. RoJo was a thin/fast slasher at USC (195), he weighed in at the combine at 205, and KC has him now at 208.

He has admitted himself to putting on 20 pounds of muscle after his rookie year. Comparing photos it's obvious he put on weight after his first year.

All true on the weight but height is usually accurate on NFL teams sites and he's never been 6'1".

Cheen said:

As you indicated he measured 5'11" 205 at the combine.  I doubt that he grew 2 inches and lost 10 lbs since then.  It looks like FBG is using the numbers he was listed at in college.  College heights and weights are by far the least accurate numbers.  TheWinz has a valid complaint.   They should at least be using the most recent numbers published by the team or if that's too much work, use the combine numbers.

As you indicated he measured 5'11" 205 at the combine.  I doubt that he grew 2 inches and lost 10 lbs since then.  It looks like FBG is using the numbers he was listed at in college.  College heights and weights are by far the least accurate numbers.  TheWinz has a valid complaint.   They should at least be using the most recent numbers published by the team or if that's too much work, use the combine numbers.
The main reason I wanted the numbers adjusted wasn't just because they are wrong - it's because if you saw those numbers and didn't know any better, you would think the RB wasn't capable of a heavy load.  If I hear 5'11" and 208, in my mind I say that guy can handle X touches, but that number goes down drastically when I hear 6'1" and 195.

Combine sounds like the best source for those who participated

The NFLPA should have a directory for all active players with this information

I found these guys while doing a search for RB's over 6' but under 200 pounds:

Hugh McElhenny - 6'1"/195 lbs - 1952-1964 - maxxed out with 201 touches (185 rush/16 reception) in 1956 (12 games)
Tommy Mason - 6'1"/196 lbs - 1961-1971 - maxxed out with 206 touches (166 rush/40 reception) in 1963 (13 games)
Lenny Moore - 6'1"/191 lbs - 1956-1967 - maxxed out with 178 touches (157 rush/21 reception) in 1964 (14 games)
Dexter Bussey - 6'1"/195 lbs - 1974-1984 - maxxed out with 256 touches (225 rush/31 reception) in 1978 (16 games)

Quite a short list, and from a long ago time.

I found these guys while doing a search for RB's over 6' but under 200 pounds:

Hugh McElhenny - 6'1"/195 lbs - 1952-1964 - maxxed out with 201 touches (185 rush/16 reception) in 1956 (12 games)
Tommy Mason - 6'1"/196 lbs - 1961-1971 - maxxed out with 206 touches (166 rush/40 reception) in 1963 (13 games)
Lenny Moore - 6'1"/191 lbs - 1956-1967 - maxxed out with 178 touches (157 rush/21 reception) in 1964 (14 games)
Dexter Bussey - 6'1"/195 lbs - 1974-1984 - maxxed out with 256 touches (225 rush/31 reception) in 1978 (16 games)

Quite a short list, and from a long ago time.
Looking at that list, I’m definitely not drafting Ronald Jones.

Well I was just making a dumb joke but it was based on misreading what you were saying (I thought those were career total touches) - so never mind.
Comically, my research backfired on me.  I was trying to say any RB over 6' and under 200 would suck, but then 2 HOF'ers come walking in.  Of course, trying to find one playing nowadays is nearly impossible.

If ROJO was really 6'1"/195 he'd easily have the lowest BMI of any RB who finished in the top 64 last year. He'd be at 25.6, only other RB I think who finished in the top 64 who was under 27 BMI was Gainwell at 26.6.  I think all other RB's who finished in top 64 were over 27.

***these numbers all based on my research, not official, open to corrections***

The Athletic's Nate Taylor considers Ronald Jones a "legit candidate" to earn the Chiefs' starting job over Clyde Edwards-Helaire. 

That's if RoJo "has an exceptional camp." You are forgiven if you are tired of reading Jones hype every pad-less practice season, but Chiefs coach Andy Reid said in March Jones could be a "major part" of the offense. It has as much to do with CEH as RoJo, as the 2020 first-rounder has yet to prove himself on either early downs or in the passing game. Jones will not be a candidate for the third-down role, though Jerick McKinnon will be in that mix. If Jones could make even slightly fewer mistakes than he did in Tampa, he could end up the mail carrier for one of the league's most explosive offenses. 

RELATED: 

Clyde Edwards-Helaire

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Jul 7, 2022, 2:58 PM ET

That blurb will get a ton of play online but it's pretty misleading. With that said, I do think that Jones is the most likely player to be this year's version of James Conner, to the extent we see that.  It seems abundantly clear at this point that Reid doesn't trust CEH at the goal-line and doesn't envision him as a 3 down back.

That blurb will get a ton of play online but it's pretty misleading. With that said, I do think that Jones is the most likely player to be this year's version of James Conner, to the extent we see that.  It seems abundantly clear at this point that Reid doesn't trust CEH at the goal-line and doesn't envision him as a 3 down back.
funny....the Connor angle was the first thing that popped in my head....

I'm not a Jones fan at all but this would really surprise me.

ETA: I do like that they included Pacheco. I'm a big fan of him shocking some people this season.
The Athletic, per Jakob Sanderson, has Jones competing for the starting job, so everything with a grain of salt, I guess. SI has Jones making the team as the third or fourth back, behind Pacheco and CEH. 

Jones not making the team would be a surprise, but I've always thought he's nowhere near the threat to CEH that some want him to be. 

Jones not making the team would be a surprise, but I've always thought he's nowhere near the threat to CEH that some want him to be. 
Well to be fair, it's not like CEH has looked good. Jones however is one of the least disciplined runners in the game and is a complete zero in the passing game.

Well to be fair, it's not like CEH has looked good. Jones however is one of the least disciplined runners in the game and is a complete zero in the passing game.
Agreed on both counts, but CEH at least has the gallbladder surgery excuse, and while he's been disappointing, he hasn't been a liability the way Jones has at times. I think CEH is a classic version of the pendulum swinging too far and people overcorrecting. 

CEH is one of my guys this year, now that he's going around RB30 and not RB10. I've been getting CEH as an RB4 in some mocks, and I'd argue RB2 value is still very much on the table. 

This is just nonsense. 

Jones numbers are better than anyone on the Bucs. 

“One of the least disciplined runners in the game”? Surely you have links to justify that absurd statement? 

He’s not a great receiver - fine, but the claim about his rushing discipline is simply false, and spun from whole cloth. 

here’s what chiefs site Arrowhead Pride think of him:

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/platform/amp/2022/3/28/22997551/chiefs-ronald-jones-adds-explosive-downhill-running-for-2022-season

:rolleyes:

This is just nonsense. 

Jones numbers are better than anyone on the Bucs. 

“One of the least disciplined runners in the game”? Surely you have links to justify that absurd statement? 

He’s not a great receiver - fine, but the claim about his rushing discipline is simply false, and spun from whole cloth. 

here’s what chiefs site Arrowhead Pride think of him:

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/platform/amp/2022/3/28/22997551/chiefs-ronald-jones-adds-explosive-downhill-running-for-2022-season

:rolleyes:
Ronald Jones just last year. Love how he turns it upfield for the first...wait...what? Ronald, where are you...? 

https://twitter.com/i/status/1440522517442011148

Ronald Jones is why Brady pushed so hard for Fournette to be the main guy 
All I've ever seen was Arians behind the Jones benching. Would love to see something concrete about Brady being responsible or "pushing so hard" for Lenny over Jones. 

I've looked. It doesn't seem to exist. There are so many narratives with Jones that don't seem to be supported by reality. 

Would love a link to establish this if you have one. 

The Athletic, per Jakob Sanderson, has Jones competing for the starting job, so everything with a grain of salt, I guess. SI has Jones making the team as the third or fourth back, behind Pacheco and CEH. 
I happily drafted Pacheco in the 5th round of my dynasty rookie draft so I would be thrilled if this part were true - but I would be beyond shocked if this dude's depth chart projection is accurate regarding Jones. 

Seems bizarre since Jones was getting a ton of praise in OTAs. 

I believe a grain of salt is the appropriate read on this. 

I wouldn't say RoJo is one of the least disciplined runners in the game -- that's Dr. Octopus -- but Jones had a terrible year last year and there was video evidence of it. I remember watching that game and getting a real sinking feeling in my stomach that I had traded Chase Edmonds away for him. Ooooof. And gave a third in the process. 

Oh well. If you're not making bad trades, you're not making enough trades, as Adam Harstad would say. 

Users who are viewing this thread