What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Saquon Barkley, PHI (3 Viewers)

Their OL is bad. Nobody is arguing that. But a decent QB can work around a bad oline. Manning has absolutely no mobility and he also seems scared to step into the pocket. The coaches are basically yelling at him for not throwing the ball downfield.

The Vikings and Texans have a bad oline. How are their QBs doing? The Cowboys have a great oline. How is their QB doing?
Fair enough. I wasn't grilling you because I get the sense you're right to a degree; I was just asking almost rhetorically, even. 

Their OL stinks. My brother is a huge fan of the Giants and has complained about it for years now. So didn't the announcers last night. Just something to think about when rostering Barkley. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. It may work out for them in the long run if they can get a QB in next year's draft but that wasn't their plan. They legitimately thought Eli had 3 years of football left in him and were trying to compete for a Super Bowl THIS year. That's a bad sign for the future of the Giants if their decision makers are making such horrible predictions.
True. How do we even know they'll get their top QB pick right?

Meanwhile, the other way it may work out for them is that this year may allow the Eli issue to resolve itself. If they had taken Darnold this year, it might have led to an awkward situation. But after this year, I suspect Eli just retires.

Back to Barkley: I targeted him this year in drafts not just because he's really good, but because I knew that he's one of those guys who's fun to have on your team, which I think is an underrated quality in fantasy. I've actually ended up with quite the Fun-to-Watch All-Stars (Saquon, Mahomes, Tyreek and the Bears D) on one roster. Not only am I 5-0, but I get the pleasure of watching all those guys lay waste to the rest of the league.  :pickle:

True. How do we even know they'll get their top QB pick right?

Meanwhile, the other way it may work out for them is that this year may allow the Eli issue to resolve itself. If they had taken Darnold this year, it might have led to an awkward situation. But after this year, I suspect Eli just retires.

Back to Barkley: I targeted him this year in drafts not just because he's really good, but because I knew that he's one of those guys who's fun to have on your team, which I think is an underrated quality in fantasy. I've actually ended up with quite the Fun-to-Watch All-Stars (Saquon, Mahomes, Tyreek and the Bears D) on one roster. Not only am I 5-0, but I get the pleasure of watching all those guys lay waste to the rest of the league.  :pickle:
That's just awesome. Mad proper respects to that. I wish I'd had it, and tried to get it through several drafts.  

Todd Gurley looks pretty good, IMHO. They're both at the top of their profession, that's for sure. Not debating or hating, just inflating.  

They're 1-5. What would their record be with Gallman and a decent QB?
1-5. I think you're crazy if you think any coach would have started Darnold over Eli Manning to start the year. Or that Darnold would have beaten out Eli in camp. He didn't look THAT good for the Jets in camp. Their other options just sucked.

That's my biggest complaint about the rookie QB pick at 2. That player was not starting over Eli this year until at least mid-year. And that rookie QB would only be starting this year if Eli and the Giants sucked and would be up for a high pick in 2019 anyway. So I think the choice of a "generational" football player over a QB at pick 2 made more sense given that you have a HOF QB on the team already, albeit on the downside of his career. So in 2018 either you are right and Eli finds himself and you go to the playoffs, or come close. Or he sucks and you get a high pick in 2019. The middle is what would suck for the Giants, 7-9 or 8-8.

1-5. I think you're crazy if you think any coach would have started Darnold over Eli Manning to start the year. Or that Darnold would have beaten out Eli in camp. He didn't like THAT good for the Jets in camp. Their other options just sucked.
The Jets actually got stuck in a contract situation, it seems. It seemed, at least to me, that Teddy Bridgewater beat Darnold out at camp. They never threw over ten yards with Darnold until last week. Just my two cents as a Jets fan.  

OK, thanks. I didn't follow them that close, but didn't think he set the world on fire in camp. He may end up being a HOF or something. I just think people are fooling themselves if they think Darnold was going to start over Manning in 2018 until at least mid-season. Or after last night. :)

OK, thanks. I didn't follow them that close, but didn't think he set the world on fire in camp. He may end up being a HOF or something. I just think people are fooling themselves if they think Darnold was going to start over Manning in 2018 until at least mid-season. Or after last night. :)
You're dead right, IMHO. The Jets never would have done that if they had Manning at QB. My personal opinion is that the line is really the problem for the NYG. It seems not only to be expert opinion, but consensus laymen's opinion, too. Barkley is great, and is sabotaged by his own OL. 

Awful O line, awful QB, and awful play calling.  Any other RB would be brutally bad on this team.  He's Barry Sanders in that he's one of the very few RBs in history who can do it all by himself.

That one drive where Barkley got them down near the goal line, and they ran it once and then had two miserable pass plays?  Jesus christ.  How do you not hand it to Barkley two more times there??  He'd have scored, and the Giants would have been right in the game.

Just awful. 

They're 1-5. What would their record be with Gallman and a decent QB?
You want to put a rookie QB behind that line? I suppose that makes sense if you want to go the route of David Carr

ETA: To answer your question, they would be 0-6 and people would be lamenting the Giants passing on a generational talent like Barkley as they watched him play for the Jets with Teddy Bridgewater

LOL.

@benbbaldwin

At what week are the Saquon-at-2 truthers going to shift from "They're in win-now mode to maximize the rest of Eli's career" to "They were planning on tanking 2018 anyway"

Alright how do people hold "running backs are really important" and "teams can bank on landing the No. 1 overall pick after drafting an elite RB" in their head at the same time

Their OL is bad. Nobody is arguing that. But a decent QB can work around a bad oline. Manning has absolutely no mobility and he also seems scared to step into the pocket. The coaches are basically yelling at him for not throwing the ball downfield.

The Vikings and Texans have a bad oline. How are their QBs doing? The Cowboys have a great oline. How is their QB doing?
This line is a whole different level of bad.  There is someone in there on every play with just a 4 man rush.

This line is a whole different level of bad.  There is someone in there on every play with just a 4 man rush.
There are at least 10 worse o-lines. Giants line is actually pretty league average. 19th according to Football outsiders. The Eagles get pressure with 4 a lot, it was a big reason they won the Super Bowl. The same o-line had no trouble giving Eli all the time in the world against Carolina a week ago.

You want to put a rookie QB behind that line? I suppose that makes sense if you want to go the route of David Carr

ETA: To answer your question, they would be 0-6 and people would be lamenting the Giants passing on a generational talent like Barkely as they watched him play for the Jets with Teddy Bridgewater
Saquon Barkley is a stud, I don't think anyone has ever questioned that, but the 2018 QB class was probably the 2nd or 3rd best class of the 2000's, and they had their choice of anyone but Mayfield. I, for one, believe they chose incorrectly. 

I highly doubt they'd be 0-6 with Darnold or Rosen even. They might even be 3-3. Darnold is doing more with a far inferior supporting cast, and Rosen has been a gigantic upgrade from Bradford who excelled in Shurmur's offense. Give him Shurmur, and the Giants o-line and WR's, and I have zero doubt he'd be a huge upgrade from Eli as well. 

Also, 99% chance the Jets would have passed on Barkley if the Giants went Darnold. That pick was always going to be QB. 

That one drive where Barkley got them down near the goal line, and they ran it once and then had two miserable pass plays?  Jesus christ.  How do you not hand it to Barkley two more times there??  He'd have scored, and the Giants would have been right in the game.

Just awful. 
Yeah.  Virtually any knowledgeable fan was asking that question.  It was like "well, we tried once, so let's try something else".  

Christ, at least try throwing to Beckham instead of some back-up TE.  

Barkley is so fun to watch.  He had a 9 yard run that was as exciting as any I have ever seen.  I can only imagine him behind even an average OL.  Sheesh..............

Off the wall question.  If the NYG drafted Sam D instead of Barkley where do you think Barkley then ends up?  Do the jets snatch him up or how far would he have fallen.  I am just not convinced that its even remotely worth it to choose a RB that high in the draft when you have other glaring needs staring at you in the face ie QB.

travdogg said:
There are at least 10 worse o-lines. Giants line is actually pretty league average. 19th according to Football outsiders. The Eagles get pressure with 4 a lot, it was a big reason they won the Super Bowl. The same o-line had no trouble giving Eli all the time in the world against Carolina a week ago.

Saquon Barkley is a stud, I don't think anyone has ever questioned that, but the 2018 QB class was probably the 2nd or 3rd best class of the 2000's, and they had their choice of anyone but Mayfield. I, for one, believe they chose incorrectly. 

I highly doubt they'd be 0-6 with Darnold or Rosen even. They might even be 3-3. Darnold is doing more with a far inferior supporting cast, and Rosen has been a gigantic upgrade from Bradford who excelled in Shurmur's offense. Give him Shurmur, and the Giants o-line and WR's, and I have zero doubt he'd be a huge upgrade from Eli as well. 

Also, 99% chance the Jets would have passed on Barkley if the Giants went Darnold. That pick was always going to be QB. 
Rosen or Darnold wouldn't have started a game over Manning yet so it's more likely they are 0-6 than have 2 or 3 wins.  You honestly think one of those QB's would've beaten out a Giants' hall of famer, guy who lead them to 2 Super Bowl victories, in training camp. 

travdogg said:
And he was pretty decent last week. Funny how that works. 

The only QB in the 2018 draft that will be a Franchise QB went to the Browns with the 1st pick 

Darnold will not be a Franchise QB and the Jets will be running him out of town in 3 years ... Rosen and Darnold are currently 31 and 32 in the NFL for QB Rating so I really have a hard time understanding all of the hype. Jets are top 5 rushing teams in the NFL and has been sacked 1/2 the number of times that Eli has this season so Darnold is getting plenty of support and still sucking.

The only QB in the 2018 draft that will be a Franchise QB went to the Browns with the 1st pick 

Darnold will not be a Franchise QB and the Jets will be running him out of town in 3 years ... Rosen and Darnold are currently 31 and 32 in the NFL for QB Rating so I really have a hard time understanding all of the hype. Jets are top 5 rushing teams in the NFL and has been sacked 1/2 the number of times that Eli has this season so Darnold is getting plenty of support and still sucking.
This is what gets me.  I haven't seen a thing from Darnold, Allen, or Rosen to make me believe the Giants missed out on a sure thing. Barkley WAS a sure thing. And looks like he may even be better than advertised.   The Giants still need a QB, but maybe someone in this year's draft will impress them more than any of last years' did.  A team isn't obligated to draft a QB that they don't think will be a great pro just because they need a quarterback soon. This is why teams are losing first round picks for guys like Paxton Lynch, Brady Quinn, and Jamarcus Russell.  Pretty sure they'd all love to trade that pick in for a generational talent like Saquon Barkley. 

It is early to write off any of the rookie QBs but I didn't like any of them and thought the Browns should have grabbed the future HOF Barkley.  So far, only Mayfield is proving me wrong.  Things may change and one of the other QBs may turn out to be good but none of them are going to achieve the greatness that Barkley will.  The Giants made the correct move and now have the greatest RB in the NFL to go along with one of the best WRs in the NFL.  Once they shore up the oline and find even an average QB, through the draft or FA, they will have an incredible O. 

I have a feeling that Nick Foles will be their QB next season.  Same age as Andrew Luck, Ryan Tannehill, and Russell Wilson. They're considered young by QB standards. If they sign him and concentrate on the O-line in the draft, they could have a very nice offense. Barkley would be an absolute beast if teams had to fear the passing game, too.

Dr. Dan said:
ETA: To answer your question, they would be 0-6 and people would be lamenting the Giants passing on a generational talent like Barkely (sic) as they watched him play for the Jets with Teddy Bridgewater
This is the comment of the year. Thanks. I corrected the sic, but the comment stands as is.  

Off the wall question.  If the NYG drafted Sam D instead of Barkley where do you think Barkley then ends up?  Do the jets snatch him up or how far would he have fallen.  I am just not convinced that its even remotely worth it to choose a RB that high in the draft when you have other glaring needs staring at you in the face ie QB.
Probably Indy at #6. maybe Cleveland at #4, but they really liked Ward, and CB is more valuable than RB. 

Also, not that you said it, but I really hate this idea that Barkley is a generational RB. He's not. He's awesome, but come on. Todd Gurley came out 3 years ago, Zeke came out 2 years ago. How short do some people think a generation is? He's in their league, and a top-5 RB right now, but the hyperbole is a little much.

I am going to assume you haven't watched the Cardinals this year. Rosen has arguably been better than Mayfield(and I'm an unabashed fan of Baker's) when adjusted for difficulty. The Browns should really be 5-0 right now. Mayfield has been an upgrade from Taylor, but Taylor was ok. He moved the offense. Sam Bradford was historically bad, to the point where an incomplete pass was a successful play, they may have had a better offense those first 2 games, if they called zero pass plays, and just ran Johnson up the middle 40 times, because at least they wouldn't end in INT's, sacks, or strip sacks.

Rosen has taken that offense from historically bad, to just bad, and has done that with almost no weapons. Fitz runs like a D-lineman right now, and shouldn't be playing until his hamstring heals up. Rosen has had something like 4 TD's dropped the last 2 games. Including a 60+ yard bomb to JJ Nelson that was as easy a catch as there is in the NFL.  He's got next to nobody to throw to, and has the worst o-line in the NFL(according to both football outsiders and PFF) yet that hasn't stopped Rosen from beating SF, and almost beating Seattle. Imagine what he could do with Beckham, Engram, and Shepard(who Christian Kirk might become) or even with Landry and Njoku. 

If Rosen were the Giants QB right now, and they had say Royce Freeman at RB(I assume a RB would have been in the Giants draft plans regardless) that team would be better than the Eli/Barkley team, both short and long term. This team made a big mistake at the time apologizing to Eli all off season. McAdoo was a bad coach, but his benching of Eli was fully justified last year, the mistake was going back to him.

None of this is meant to disparage Barkley the player, again, he's a top-5 NFL RB right now, and will likely only get better. Its not the player, its the position. I made a similar argument when Dallas took Zeke over Jalen Ramsey. Its just even worse when its a franchise QB. Overall RB's aren't all that important. That isn't a new thing. Barry Sanders is the best RB of the Super Bowl era, and had 1 playoff win. Peterson and Tomlinson never played in Super Bowls, Faulk only did with a HOF QB. We are seeing it in Pittsburgh this year, as the Steelers have missed Ryan Shazier 5 times more than they have missed Bell. These aren't flukes or coincidences. 

Probably Indy at #6. maybe Cleveland at #4, but they really liked Ward, and CB is more valuable than RB. 

Also, not that you said it, but I really hate this idea that Barkley is a generational RB. He's not. He's awesome, but come on. Todd Gurley came out 3 years ago, Zeke came out 2 years ago. How short do some people think a generation is? He's in their league, and a top-5 RB right now, but the hyperbole is a little much.
Zeke isn't even in the same conversation as Barkley. He's strong and fast but every draft has a guy or two like that. He also runs behind the best line in football. He's never made a run that made me think he was special. Very good, yes.  But not special. 

Barkley's nine yard run where he changed direct three times and hurdled two would-be tacklers is truly once in a generation stuff. He's not only faster than most backs, he's stronger too. And changes direction quicker. And has tremendous vision.  Gurley surely has the stats, but he's on an awesome team with a ton of other threats. I'm not sure we'd be raving about him if he was playing with Eli at QB and the pathetic Giants line. Barkley does what he does with the defense knowing that Manning is shot and his only other weapon id OBJ on a quick slant.  

None of this is meant to disparage Barkley the player, again, he's a top-5 NFL RB right now, and will likely only get better. Its not the player, its the position. I made a similar argument when Dallas took Zeke over Jalen Ramsey. Its just even worse when its a franchise QB. Overall RB's aren't all that important. That isn't a new thing. Barry Sanders is the best RB of the Super Bowl era, and had 1 playoff win. Peterson and Tomlinson never played in Super Bowls, Faulk only did with a HOF QB. We are seeing it in Pittsburgh this year, as the Steelers have missed Ryan Shazier 5 times more than they have missed Bell. These aren't flukes or coincidences. 
Again though it depends on the definition of a franchise QB.  It seems to me that term is being watered down these days with the immergence of all the young QB talent.  Rosen, Darnold and Allen could easily become the next Bortles or Locker as they are to become the next Brady or Rodgers.  More than likely they will fall somewhere in the middle and end up as a Mariotta or Winston.  They look like very good QB's but are they difference makers?  The NFL is about having difference makers (I'm talking best of the best elite studs) and there aren't many of those guys in the NFL.  Barkley appears to be one of them and I don't agree with passing up one of those guys because he's a RB. 

Your examples are strange to me too.  Sanders was stuck in a historically bad organization and Faulk was a huge reason why Warner is in the hall of fame today. Warner has nowhere near the success he had without Faulk IMO.  Also AP and LT had great shots at the Superbowl as well if not for monumental playoff mistakes by Favre and whatever that Chargers DB was that didn't take a knee after the interception. 

Zeke isn't even in the same conversation as Barkley. He's strong and fast but every draft has a guy or two like that. He also runs behind the best line in football. He's never made a run that made me think he was special. Very good, yes.  But not special. 

Barkley's nine yard run where he changed direct three times and hurdled two would-be tacklers is truly once in a generation stuff. He's not only faster than most backs, he's stronger too. And changes direction quicker. And has tremendous vision.  Gurley surely has the stats, but he's on an awesome team with a ton of other threats. I'm not sure we'd be raving about him if he was playing with Eli at QB and the pathetic Giants line. Barkley does what he does with the defense knowing that Manning is shot and his only other weapon id OBJ on a quick slant.  
Yeah, watch that 50 yard TD. He pulled away from guys who are supposed to be pretty fast. Serious speed.

While I agree the Cowboys have a better line than the Giants, the bolded hasn't been true for some time. The Cowboys don't even have a top-10 line right now. 

I actually like Elliott the most of all the RB's in the NFL. I think he's held back by the Dallas offense. He's a much better pass catcher than he gets credit for, not on Barkley's level, but far better than he has gotten the chance to be. Kinda like Gurley before last year, a better coach would utilize Elliott's receiving ability more often. He also sees 8-man boxes every non-obvious passing down, which Barkley and especially Gurley never do, because teams are actually afraid of other players on the offense. He never loses yards, he has outstanding vision, better than Barkley or Gurley(though behind Bell) and breaks tackles as well as anyone. 

Again, I like Barkley a ton, but he has a better situation than Elliott in my opinion(not as good as Gurley, but then neither is his production) he's got a better supporting cast, and better coaches. 

I have a feeling that Nick Foles will be their QB next season.  Same age as Andrew Luck, Ryan Tannehill, and Russell Wilson. They're considered young by QB standards. If they sign him and concentrate on the O-line in the draft, they could have a very nice offense. Barkley would be an absolute beast if teams had to fear the passing game, too.
Not a bad call. Is Foles a FA this offseason?

Cleveland at 4. The Jets would have taken a QB, no doubt.

Think about how good Marshawn Lynch has been in the NFL.

Then add ~20 pounds, more explosiveness, and more speed.

That's Barkley, IMO. Hall of Famer if he stays healthy.
:thumbup: It's utterly amazing to see how he juked defenders during 9 yards run.  Even more astounding in spite of rebuilt (and decent) OL and Eli's crappy performance. 

I am going to assume you haven't watched the Cardinals this year. Rosen has arguably been better than Mayfield(and I'm an unabashed fan of Baker's) when adjusted for difficulty. The Browns should really be 5-0 right now. Mayfield has been an upgrade from Taylor, but Taylor was ok. He moved the offense. Sam Bradford was historically bad, to the point where an incomplete pass was a successful play, they may have had a better offense those first 2 games, if they called zero pass plays, and just ran Johnson up the middle 40 times, because at least they wouldn't end in INT's, sacks, or strip sacks.

Rosen has taken that offense from historically bad, to just bad, and has done that with almost no weapons. Fitz runs like a D-lineman right now, and shouldn't be playing until his hamstring heals up. Rosen has had something like 4 TD's dropped the last 2 games. Including a 60+ yard bomb to JJ Nelson that was as easy a catch as there is in the NFL.  He's got next to nobody to throw to, and has the worst o-line in the NFL(according to both football outsiders and PFF) yet that hasn't stopped Rosen from beating SF, and almost beating Seattle. Imagine what he could do with Beckham, Engram, and Shepard(who Christian Kirk might become) or even with Landry and Njoku. 

If Rosen were the Giants QB right now, and they had say Royce Freeman at RB(I assume a RB would have been in the Giants draft plans regardless) that team would be better than the Eli/Barkley team, both short and long term. This team made a big mistake at the time apologizing to Eli all off season. McAdoo was a bad coach, but his benching of Eli was fully justified last year, the mistake was going back to him.

You can't win without a good team no matter who you are. 

Only 1 QB drafted in the 1st round Since 2006 has won a Superbowl ...Joe Flacco and he was selected with the 18th pick. Before that was Rogers who selected with the 24th pick and he sat on the bench for 3 years.

Bye the Way ... Elliot and Gurley are both very good running backs but Elliot has played behind one of the best Olines since coming into the league and you saw what Gurley could do on a bad team. Neither one of them is a talented as Barkley.

This is what gets me.  I haven't seen a thing from Darnold, Allen, or Rosen to make me believe the Giants missed out on a sure thing. Barkley WAS a sure thing. And looks like he may even be better than advertised.   The Giants still need a QB, but maybe someone in this year's draft will impress them more than any of last years' did.  A team isn't obligated to draft a QB that they don't think will be a great pro just because they need a quarterback soon. This is why teams are losing first round picks for guys like Paxton Lynch, Brady Quinn, and Jamarcus Russell.  Pretty sure they'd all love to trade that pick in for a generational talent like Saquon Barkley. 
Exactly ... They might have picked Mayfield if he was available and last year they tried to trade up for Mahomes. If the right guy was there they would have taken him but these guys had way to many questions marks  

The only thing that stops me from taking Barkley at 1.02 in redraft next year is Eli Manning. 

If the Giants get a competent QB, I’m in. 

The only thing that stops me from taking Barkley at 1.02 in redraft next year is Eli Manning. 

If the Giants get a competent QB, I’m in. 
He's leading the NFL in Yards from scrimmage as a rookie and averaging a TD per game with a terrible oline and Eli at QB 

He's on pace for 2163 total yards and 16 TDs 

You can't win without a good team no matter who you are. 

Since 2006 ... Only 1 QB drafted in the 1st round has won a Superbowl Joe Flacco and he was selected with the 18th pick. Before that was Rogers who selected with the 24th pick and he sat on the bench for 3 years.

Bye the Way ... Elliot and Gurley are both very good running backs but Elliot has played behind one of the best Olines since coming into the league and you saw what Gurley could do on a bad team. Neither one of them is a talented as Barkley.
What?! Since 2006, both Mannings and Big Ben have won Super Bowls. All were first round picks. 

and racking up a total of 1 win
Exactly. Which is why the Colts should trade/release Andrew Luck. The guy has racked up a total of 1 win despite touching the ball every play. Same with the Falcons at Matt Ryan. They paid the dude 130 and they only racked up a total of 1 win. They should've cut him or traded him and blindly drafted the best available QB in the draft.

Between 2009 and 2014 (6 year span) only 5 of 17 1st round QBs are starting QBs today. That's a  29% success rate. Of those 5 ...3 were #1 picks and the only year that has produced more than 1 current starter was 2012 (Luck and Tannehill) .

The likely hood of even 2 of the 5 QBs drafted in 2018 still starting in 5-6 years is pretty low

Users who are viewing this thread