What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB/WR Cordarrelle Patterson, PIT (1 Viewer)

In a redraft league you can't trade him unless you have another owner who is willing to do a what the heck trade to unload another underachiever. I may look into doing something like that. I held on to some guys too long thus far and wound up missing out on some quality free agent backs before they burst out.

In a redraft league you can't trade him unless you have another owner who is willing to do a what the heck trade to unload another underachiever. I may look into doing something like that. I held on to some guys too long thus far and wound up missing out on some quality free agent backs before they burst out.
I'm assuming we are talking about dynasty here. Redraft you are not going to be able to get anything for him so you are better off just holding. Dynasty you might find an owner who is a huge Vikings fan or be able to package him for a better player at another position.

I can't trade for him in my dynasty league. Owner is completely unfazed by recent woes. He's 'building around CPat and Harvin'. Oof.

I'd trade him for a less painful homosexual experience at this point!
Less painful than your current experience?

I would love to not own Patterson right now because I would be buying. He is a raw football player with elite attributes. He can be had for nothing....perfect dynasty buy. I am not saying I think he will put it all together however this a cheap swing for the fences type of move.....which are rare to find.
I don't think this is true at all. In fact looking at DLF's September mock data, Patterson actually climbed a few spots in the WR ranks. Was still being drafted as a top 10 WR. It's probably going to go down when they do their October mocks, but there's no way he "can be had for nothing" in dynasty leagues.

He's an absolute hold in dynasty right now. I'm assuming no one will give anything of real value compared to his massive upside at this point.

Yeah, hold in dynasty, which I'm doing. In redraft I would cut him if I needed space. If he's going to develop his routes and chemistry with Teddy it will take awhile.

Was Dez Bryant anywhere near as raw/bad at playing receiver his first two years as CP?

I mean I knows there's hope but I'm trying to gage how much.

Was Dez Bryant anywhere near as raw/bad at playing receiver his first two years as CP?

I mean I knows there's hope but I'm trying to gage how much.
It's not even close. Dez was much, much, much better and more polished.

Dez had issues running the wrong routes. Romo would expect him to run a hot route, and he'd stick with the [SIZE=10.5pt]original[/SIZE]. Or he'd read the defense wrong, while running conditional routes. But he was always a good route runner and wide receiver.

I'm trying to think of a comp for Patterson who turned it around and none are coming to mind at the moment. I'm sure there are a few--I just can't think of any.

I think the hope for Patterson, in dynasty formats, is that he finds a team willing to build substantial packages around his talents--allowing him to play in the slot, move around, get a few carries a game, etc. Minny doesn't seem to think the payoff is worth the effort and he's clearly not ready to produce in the role he's in now, as he's not able to get himself open consistently.

He is a kick returner that's it, watched game yesterday and he is an awful receiver. Can teams really afford to have just KR on their teams.??

I think CP will have 2-4 monstrous fantasy weeks and the other 12-14 will be short of expectations for a 4th rounder. The decision to start or bench for fantasy owners will be gruelling, comparable to Mike Wallace last year.
:goodposting:

It is going to get more painful for CP owners. He is going to ride your bench and will have a few more huge weeks (like week1). This guy was a best-ball only play.

He was playing hurt and Teddy bombed against the league's #1 D. As those three factors improve, so will CP's numbers.

He was playing hurt and Teddy bombed against the league's #1 D. As those three factors improve, so will CP's numbers.
But for how long can this go on? I have shaky receivers after Demarius Thomas, so I have to take fliers on guys like Holmes and (guh) LeFell this week. I don't see Patterson having a place on my team much longer.

But for how long can this go on? I have shaky receivers after Demarius Thomas, so I have to take fliers on guys like Holmes and (guh) LeFell this week. I don't see Patterson having a place on my team much longer.
At this point, based on the hip issue, I wouldn't argue against cutting him in redraft. Of the three factors mentioned in my quote above, only the third is likely to improve soon. The first two are serious lingering question marks until proven otherwise.

ETA: he will be seeing pine on my team for a couple more weeks before I would consider cutting him (since I have a viable alternative - Cooks - and room on my bench). Just in case things do improve. And I play in return leagues, so there's also that.

Last edited by a moderator:
At this point, based on the hip issue, I wouldn't argue against cutting him in redraft. Of the three factors mentioned in my quote above, only the third is likely to improve soon. The first two are serious lingering question marks until proven otherwise.

ETA: he will be seeing pine on my team for a couple more weeks before I would consider cutting him (since I have a viable alternative - Cooks - and room on my bench). Just in case things do improve. And I play in return leagues, so there's also that.
Had to cut him this week. I really had high expectations for this guy but when Adrian Peterson got suspended I suspected that the vikings Offense would be terrible.

Had to cut him this week. I really had high expectations for this guy but when Adrian Peterson got suspended I suspected that the vikings Offense would be terrible.
Had to do the same, picked up Jarvis Landry who can actually run routes.

I'm now trying to trade him in my 32 team dynasty. I just offered him to a Vikings fan for a 2015 1st rounder (CP was my 1.3 pick in the startup rookie draft). I'm hoping his potential hypnotizes the owner I'm trying to trade. "Studs" are hard to come by in this league...especially since we use TEAM QB and don't draft QBs in the rookie draft.

Traded away for Welker and Martin. Wasn't planning to move him, and actually started him all 6 weeks, hoping for another explosion, but I lost patience. Just providing a gauge of recent value. Take it for what it's worth.

ETA: limited keeper league.

It's funny because Harvin should probably be used more like the way Patterson is (mostly downfield route running with the occasional screen/run) while Patterson should probably be used the way Harvin is (lots of touches around the LoS, few downfield routes).

Dropped him to the waiver wire last week in my redraft. Didn't have the time to wait for him to maybe turn it around due to other roster issues.

Fully expected him to explode last weekend because of it.

I could be wrong but if Patterson can not become a threat downfield then DB's are just going to sit on all the short stuff making it much more difficult for him to succeed on screens and handoffs. I would compare it to a basketball player that can't dribble but shoots lights out. You just sit on him and don't give him any space to get a shot off. Looks like that's what teams are doing to Patterson. He needs to adjust and become a better all around player if he wants to even sniff WR2 level production.

I could be wrong but if Patterson can not become a threat downfield then DB's are just going to sit on all the short stuff making it much more difficult for him to succeed on screens and handoffs. I would compare it to a basketball player that can't dribble but shoots lights out. You just sit on him and don't give him any space to get a shot off. Looks like that's what teams are doing to Patterson. He needs to adjust and become a better all around player if he wants to even sniff WR2 level production.
When you say "looks like" do you really mean that's what it looks like or do you just mean that's what you're guessing based on the results?

Because I posted some screenshots a few pages back where a lot of the decoy screens that Patterson is running are actually pretty open if they were actually throwing the screen that way. I don't think teams are jumping the screens/runs much at all. Minnesota is giving them no reason to.

It's funny because Harvin should probably be used more like the way Patterson is (mostly downfield route running with the occasional screen/run) while Patterson should probably be used the way Harvin is (lots of touches around the LoS, few downfield routes).
Norvs offense doesnt have those types of WR, he like down the field stretch plays, Norvs offense is also very inflexible

Norvs offense doesnt have those types of WR, he like down the field stretch plays, Norvs offense is also very inflexible
Yeah, he's not a "think outside the box" type of coach. And it's killed his teams in the past and present.

This is a good point. CP doesn't seem to be a fit for his offensive philosophy.

Yeah, he's not a "think outside the box" type of coach. And it's killed his teams in the past and present.
His offenses, in general, have been great. I don't think it's fair or accurate to point that as the reason for his HC short-comings.

When you say "looks like" do you really mean that's what it looks like or do you just mean that's what you're guessing based on the results?

Because I posted some screenshots a few pages back where a lot of the decoy screens that Patterson is running are actually pretty open if they were actually throwing the screen that way. I don't think teams are jumping the screens/runs much at all. Minnesota is giving them no reason to.
What I watched he's lined up outside what seems like 90% of the time and the DB is in press coverage almost always. When he lines up in the slot he has more room but they hardly ever line him up there. Can you even throw a bubble screen when the DB is in tight press coverage?

I picked him up today, I think he's due for a decent game. Coach's trying to light a fire under him this week.
Good luck with your new journey...Too many good prospects to pass up on the wire to keep this turd. He got 8 targets last week, he can't do anything with them. Ffball is a funny thing, he could turn it around, but it doesn't look good.

This is a good point. CP doesn't seem to be a fit for his offensive philosophy.

His offenses, in general, have been great. I don't think it's fair or accurate to point that as the reason for his HC short-comings.
Some of them have been great - agreed. But flexible? Maybe adaptable would be a better word? I wouldn't agree with that from what I've seen (having watched him as a head coach at his 3 stops).

I picked him up today, I think he's due for a decent game. Coach's trying to light a fire under him this week.
Good luck with your new journey...Too many good prospects to pass up on the wire to keep this turd. He got 8 targets last week, he can't do anything with them. Ffball is a funny thing, he could turn it around, but it doesn't look good.
yeah he got cut in my shallow re-draft league. I snagged him, dont have the nuts to start him yet

Traded him for Reggie Bush (12 team redraft). Was thrilled I could get anything for him. Even a dinged up 9 year vet in an underprodcucing RBBC time share beats what he is Cordarelle is putting up right now.

Down the road, I figure I can Flex Bush in good matchups. I wouldn't feel comfortably flexing Patterson at any point ROS. Hope it turns around, he's a serious talent, but as a WR he just doesn't get separation.

Traded him for Reggie Bush (12 team redraft). Was thrilled I could get anything for him. Even a dinged up 9 year vet in an underprodcucing RBBC time share beats what he is Cordarelle is putting up right now.

Down the road, I figure I can Flex Bush in good matchups. I wouldn't feel comfortably flexing Patterson at any point ROS. Hope it turns around, he's a serious talent, but as a WR he just doesn't get separation.
I'd rather have Patterson than Bush. Bush is the kind of guy that will never see your lineup except after a fluke game where he scores 2 TD's and then he ruins your next week because you think he's back. You probably won't ever feel comfortable enough to cut him. I'd rather take a shot with Patterson getting it together and if not, just cut him.

I'd rather have Patterson than Bush. Bush is the kind of guy that will never see your lineup except after a fluke game where he scores 2 TD's and then he ruins your next week because you think he's back. You probably won't ever feel comfortable enough to cut him. I'd rather take a shot with Patterson getting it together and if not, just cut him.
Bush has more receptions than Patterson in fewer games. He's more consistent, productive, and plays at a more premium position. Looks like a no brainer to me.

Seems odd to prefer a guy because you're more likely to cut him.

Bush has more receptions than Patterson in fewer games. He's more consistent, productive, and plays at a more premium position. Looks like a no brainer to me.

I don't want to get off track here but I'm starting Bush with confidence this w/e. Was healthy enough to play last week, at home, going against his old team. This is a Flex2 spot, where I started CP weeks 1 & 2.

Point being I would never start CP with confidence. Pretty sure if he's healthy I'll be starting Bush 3-4 times TOS.

Anybody else trading CP or mulling over offers?

I'm 5-1 so I can afford to hold. Also, he has zero value. If I dropped him, I don't know if he'd be picked up.

Concept Coop said:
steveski said:

I think most would agree with it. It obviously depends on the situation but assuming I'm getting by just fine without needing Bush or Patterson, I'd rather have the guy with a huge ceiling and is also easier to move on from. I feel like Bush is one of the guys that it would be really hard to cut, but you're not really going to want to start him either. Patterson is more of a flyer at this point. Stash him for as long as you can to see if he puts it together and if he doesn't then just grab someone you like off waivers. I'd rather churn through high ceiling guys hoping to get one to hit than have a guy that I think might be a flex a week or two.

Again, it depends on your teams makeup though. If you're RB situation doesn't look that good or stable then you'd obviously rather have Bush.

Concept Coop said:
steveski said:

I think most would agree with it. It obviously depends on the situation but assuming I'm getting by just fine without needing Bush or Patterson, I'd rather have the guy with a huge ceiling and is also easier to move on from. I feel like Bush is one of the guys that it would be really hard to cut, but you're not really going to want to start him either. Patterson is more of a flyer at this point. Stash him for as long as you can to see if he puts it together and if he doesn't then just grab someone you like off waivers. I'd rather churn through high ceiling guys hoping to get one to hit than have a guy that I think might be a flex a week or two.

Again, it depends on your teams makeup though. If you're RB situation doesn't look that good or stable then you'd obviously rather have Bush.
Both dropped in our league this morning and grabbed Bush without thinking twice. Patterson still available.

Rotoworld:

Cordarrelle Patterson (hip) is practicing in full for Week 7.

Patterson played limited snaps in Sunday's loss, but he's healthy enough that he won't miss any practice time. He'll remain just a boom-or-bust WR4 against the Bills.

Oct 15 - 7:35 PM

Users who are viewing this thread