What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB/WR Cordarrelle Patterson, PIT (3 Viewers)

For those who were hoping for a MFL position change, I have him in my 2022 Dynasty league and he is now listed as a RB by MFL....

Seems like a slam dunk sell in your dynasty leagues.  He'll be 31 in a month.  If he doesn't resign in Atlanta, whatever value he has would seemingly fall off a cliff.  

Seems like a slam dunk sell in your dynasty leagues.  He'll be 31 in a month.  If he doesn't resign in Atlanta, whatever value he has would seemingly fall off a cliff.  
Some NFL team will overpay for him. Best option is to find someone in your dynasty league who will do the same. 

The Athletic's Josh Kendall said he’s “not sure” the Falcons will re-sign free agent Cordarrelle Patterson.

Patterson was one of the few bright spots from Atlanta's 2021 season. Often viewed as an improperly used player, Patterson finally saw significant work as a rusher and receiver with the Falcons. Patterson rushed for a career-high 618 yards and six touchdowns while also posting a receiving line of 52-548-5, but was put on a snap count late in the season. In the team's final three games, Patterson totaled just 20 carries and saw only five targets during the fantasy playoff season. Set to turn 31 next week, a team-friendly deal is likely Patterson’s best path to returning to the Falcons in 2022.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Mar 11, 2022, 10:20 AM ET

Falcons re-signed Cordarrelle Patterson to a two-year, $10.5 million contract.

Patterson had a career year in Atlanta, rushing for 618 yards and six touchdowns and catching 52 passes for 548 yards and five touchdowns. The Falcons limited his role down the stretch, with Patterson totaling just 37 touches and getting averaging under 30 rushing yards in the season's final month. With Mike Davis plodding to 3.6 YPC as last year's starter, Patterson returns as the favorite for touches in Atlanta, though it will be hard for him to repeat his 2021 success. The Falcons are likely to add backfield competition for Patterson in the draft. 

SOURCE: NFL Network

Mar 19, 2022, 12:32 PM ET

If Ryan is back and they don't make big time skill position upgrades (doubtful at this point), could be a nice fantasy producer again.

No Ridley and now no Gage.  Really not a bad deal for him when correctly evaluated as a RB. He seems happy in ATL so good for him

I've bought a few shares recently for *very* cheap and I'm going to keep buying (where possible). I had a bit of a revelation a month ago after the fog of the hectic 2021 season lifted. In FFPC, he was a league-shifting waiver pickup (and other leagues too of course) that I missed out on. I didn't get him on anything last year. 

But the key revelation I had was:

A - *everybody* that has him wants to sell now

B - He got converted to RB in the *software*, not just the football field. Whatever hybrid weapon you wanna call him, they're going to keep using him until his legs fall off. They don't have anything else there. The fact that I can plug that kind of usage into the RB spot is actually a really seismically big deal and I don't think the community has quite grasped that. Perhaps now that he resigned it is more apparent.

C - That means he is supremely undervalued right now. Short term win now play but still. 

I am also very curious to see where he goes in redraft. I know BBs are already going I just haven't looked.

I've bought a few shares recently for *very* cheap and I'm going to keep buying (where possible). I had a bit of a revelation a month ago after the fog of the hectic 2021 season lifted. In FFPC, he was a league-shifting waiver pickup (and other leagues too of course) that I missed out on. I didn't get him on anything last year. 

But the key revelation I had was:

A - *everybody* that has him wants to sell now

B - He got converted to RB in the *software*, not just the football field. Whatever hybrid weapon you wanna call him, they're going to keep using him until his legs fall off. They don't have anything else there. The fact that I can plug that kind of usage into the RB spot is actually a really seismically big deal and I don't think the community has quite grasped that. Perhaps now that he resigned it is more apparent.

C - That means he is supremely undervalued right now. Short term win now play but still. 

I am also very curious to see where he goes in redraft. I know BBs are already going I just haven't looked.
He’s also 31, which seems like a risky age to get ~160 carries (200+ touches)

I suspect ATL will draft a back or pick up a scrap heap guy.

i agree - he was a league difference maker last year, and getting RB qualification is huge, IF he stays healthy & If he sees the same number of touches.

i agree - he was a league difference maker last year, and getting RB qualification is huge, IF he stays healthy & If he sees the same number of touches.
I expect his usage to be closer to late 2021 than early 2021. But for 3.12, for example, I could use that kind of cheap depth. I don't need 200 touches to make it worth it. If the software changed him back to a WR, I would just pass, but at RB it is too good to pass up. 

Hot Sauce Guy said:

The counterpoints being:

- his career touches are absurdly low for 9 years in: 268rec + 320att + 257ret = 845  (edit: oops forgot to add returns)

- ATL has absolutely no reason not to run him into the ground (other than season long considerations)

- good call on a scrap heap back signing, Damien Williams, who doesn't seem like much of a threat

- RB has to be a low investment priority for the Falcons

I'm curious why folks are of the opinion that the RB qualification is huge, is it just roster makeup? It seems to me I'd rather have a hybrid guy like CPatt in a WR slot given the lower average ppg of the position. 

Cautiously optimistic that he can stay healthy and maintain touch totals given his 2021 experience and an offseason to prepare for more of the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm curious why folks are of the opinion that the RB qualification is huge, is it just roster makeup? It seems to me I'd rather have a hybrid guy like CPatt in a WR slot given the lower average ppg of the position. 
because as a RB he’s a more rare scorer than a WR 4-5-6 type, who are a dime a dozen, don’t get the consistent usage, and are unlikely to score at the same rate.

Its a pretty clear advantage for him to have RB eligibility over slotting him in at WR or flex. 

Cautiously optimistic that he can stay healthy and maintain touch totals given his 2021 experience and an offseason to prepare for more of the same.
This is what I question. Usage, and scoring. Word is ATL is still shopping Ryan, and that whole offense might go off a cliff in his absence.

that would obviously impact CPat’s scoring, and likely total touches, too.

all that without even mentioning his age/injury risk. 

because as a RB he’s a more rare scorer than a WR 4-5-6 type, who are a dime a dozen, don’t get the consistent usage, and are unlikely to score at the same rate.

Its a pretty clear advantage for him to have RB eligibility over slotting him in at WR or flex. 
I must be slow today. That's the reasoning I'd use to argue a WR designation being more valuable; ie he'd offer a clear advantage over those WR (3)-4-5-6 types your opponents will be starting. What am I missing?

Fair on the rest; all bets are off if Ryan gets moved for sure.

I must be slow today. That's the reasoning I'd use to argue a WR designation being more valuable; ie he'd offer a clear advantage over those WR (3)-4-5-6 types your opponents will be starting. What am I missing?
That for many competing teams they have a WR4 that for some teams would be a WR2, so they'd rather play them at Flex.  CPat theoretically offers more value as a RB than a WR, *especially* in PPR format, where his ~50 receptions are in play. 

I'm curious why folks are of the opinion that the RB qualification is huge, is it just roster makeup?
Position scarcity. I can replace WRs pretty easy. RB is much tougher. But it is also sort of a dynasty v redraft question because the scarcity is a bigger deal in redraft. In dynasty I would hope one is strong enough at RB to not need to add someone like CP. But I have some teams I took over as orphans and I mean RB scarcity exists in dynasty as well. 

In dynasty I have several teams for example where I am strong enough and deep enough that I just don't have room to roster anyone (unless I consolidate). So I wouldn't want to add CP there even if a deal was super cheap. But that is league specific to FFPC because we cut to 14 position players in 10 days. Deeper leagues I would be adding him for cheap everywhere I can.

I did a little homework last year for redraft and created a cutoff for replacement level players. As a way of assigning weekly points above replacement as it relates to draft position to try to come up with a strategy to maximize efficiency of my picks. It didn't work out for me because I picked a lot of the wrong players but I think my theory was on the right track. Picking the right players, as it turns out, is much more important... next year, I guess I'll have to add necks, acls, hammys and mental health to the matrix to end up not losing my top 4 picks for the year...

2 RB, 2 WR, 2 Flex. PPR league x 12 teams.  = 72 RB/WR essentially. Of those, in PPR, there were only 28 or so RBs that made the cut and 44 WRs.  Depending on who's projections you look at. And RBs typically miss more time than WRs. Mental health and ACLs notwithstanding.

Last edited by a moderator:
ESPN Falcons reporter Michael Rothstein believes Atlanta could use Cordarrelle Patterson more at wide receiver this season.

"I think the Falcons could line up Cordarrelle Patterson at wide receiver more than running back next season," Rothstein said following the draft, adding fifth-round rookie RB Tyler Allgeier "could be the Falcons' early down back and use Patterson more in a hybrid role." A year after finishing as the overall RB17 in half-PPR points per game, Patterson may be needed more at wideout with Calvin Ridley suspended for the season and Russell Gage now in Tampa Bay. Atlanta has first-round WR Drake London and a bunch of random JAGs at receiver. Patterson seems highly unlikely to match last season's production at 31 years old.

RELATED: 

Tyler Allgeier

SOURCE: Michael Fabiano on Twitter

May 6, 2022, 5:11 PM ET

The Athletic's Josh Kendall writes that "expecting [Cordarrelle Patterson] to be fully available and able to carry a full load at running back this season is overly optimistic."

"The 10th-year veteran will be Atlanta’s starting running back this season, but that doesn’t mean he will be its most-used running back," added Kendall. This is a Tyler Allgeier post, as the Falcons have not done much to add depth behind Patterson. Damien and Avery Williams are fighting for the No. 3 role. Allgeier could well be in for more volume than expected this season. 

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jul 5, 2022, 1:14 PM ET

I'd give a 3rd for him.
Agree with this as a buyer... but as an owner and contender, I'd need at least a 2nd. It's also likely he's a hold until game 2-3 for anyone contending. 

I'm also optimistic that he'll end up in the ball park of last years fantasy point totals.

I don't see him having much value this year.  Forget anything in the past, because it no longer applies.  I would rather spend that 3rd on a RB dart throw, because I don't see Patterson in any of my lineups this year.
Yes - last season just seemed like a fluke, and he faded big time down the stretch. I think Allgeire and Damiam Williams should each see more carries than Patterson this season - who will keep a scaled down version of his hybrid role from last season.

Yes - last season just seemed like a fluke, and he faded big time down the stretch. I think Allgeire and Damiam Williams should each see more carries than Patterson this season - who will keep a scaled down version of his hybrid role from last season.
I honestly can't say It wasnt a fluke last year. But it also could have been a case where a team finally committed to use Patterson in such a way. New England sort of figured it out 2018 but used him sparingly.

Atlanta perhaps made him a focal point as a matter of necessity. Yet in the offseason did not seriously address the rb issue otherwise. They passed free agents Gordon, Michel, Edmonds, Mostert in favor of giving Damien Williams a little over 1mil; in the draft waited til the 5th round to get a rookie. In my view, these are on par with a Mike Davis. It's not reasonable to say they will relegate Patterson to the 3rd rb option. Altho, It might work out they way.

There's also a reasonable chance he continues his production from last year. I could paint a picture where he does better even. Considering all the possibilities for this year, I still say a 3rd is the right price. That's pretty cheap to pencil in a RB2, albeit for only a year.

It's not reasonable to say they will relegate Patterson to the 3rd rb option. Altho, It might work out they way.
That's not really what I said though - I said each should each see more carries which is different from saying snaps or touches.

I think it's very reasonable (obviously) that Patterson is third as far as rushing attempts - like I said he wore down bigtime in an extended role and with Mariotta or Ridder under center I expect the team to be very run heavy in 2022.

Makes sense, their WRs are low grade, London should be good, but a rookie.   CP can fill that hole in their offense, at least until London gets up to speed at the WR1.

Cordarrelle Patterson rushed 22 times for 120 yards and a touchdown in the Falcons' Week 1 loss to the Saints, adding three receptions for 16 additional yards.

The first individual rusher to clear 100 yards on the ground against the Saints in 20 games, Patterson also set a new career high for yards on the ground by 12 after Damien Williams was knocked out with a first quarter rib injury. With rookie Tyler Allgeier a healthy scratch, C-Patt was the Falcons' only option, and he did not disappoint. His five-yard touchdown in the second quarter featured some seriously rugged running. Those kind of carries and workloads seemed to take a toll on Patterson down the stretch of 2021, but he is far and away the Falcons' best option in the backfield, We would still expect Allgeier to change the pace frequently in Week 2 if Williams isn't ready to go. Patterson will be an RB2 vs. the Rams.

- NBCSportsEDGE

I understand that Patterson's age makes him a tepid dynasty prospect. But in redraft, I was surprised to see how many analysts were advising to sell high on Patterson in week one. I'm not convinced that all of those analysts actually watched the game. Patterson looks huge - Matt Waldman says his listed weight of 220 should read more like 235 or 240, he runs angry, and that line is blocking well.

I understand that Patterson's age makes him a tepid dynasty prospect. But in redraft, I was surprised to see how many analysts were advising to sell high on Patterson in week one. I'm not convinced that all of those analysts actually watched the game. Patterson looks huge - Matt Waldman says his listed weight of 220 should read more like 235 or 240, he runs angry, and that line is blocking well.
I unfortunately stayed away this year. I was fortunate to get him last year...he was awesome, until he wasn't. His production slowed down significantly in the back half of last season. I'm assuming that hive mind is expecting the same again. He's crushing right now tho.

AND he keeps hitting 20 mph on runs. What's not to like? No catches I guess...

I unfortunately stayed away this year. I was fortunate to get him last year...he was awesome, until he wasn't. His production slowed down significantly in the back half of last season. I'm assuming that hive mind is expecting the same again. He's crushing right now tho.

I don't expect this monstrous output every week, but he sure ending up being a great value at his ADP.

I would not want to be a defensive back trying to tackle Patterson once he gets rolling. He punishes defenders.

I would not want to be a defensive back trying to tackle Patterson once he gets rolling. He punishes defenders.
Apparently he also punished himself last weekend. :(

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Cordarrelle Patterson (knee) "plans to play" in Week 4 against the Browns.

Patterson was upgraded to a limited practice session on Friday after missing the first two practices of the week. It was a positive development for him but doesn't guarantee he will suit up. As Schefter noted, Patterson will need to get the final green light after pre-game warmups. One of his sources noted, “It’s close.” If Patterson can't go, rookie Tyler Allgeier would step into a sizable role this week.

I don't usually post stuff like this, but be careful guys. Alvin Kamara was expected to play but the Saints elevated a practice squad RB just like Atlanta did.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Cordarrelle Patterson (knee) "plans to play" in Week 4 against the Browns.

Patterson was upgraded to a limited practice session on Friday after missing the first two practices of the week. It was a positive development for him but doesn't guarantee he will suit up. As Schefter noted, Patterson will need to get the final green light after pre-game warmups. One of his sources noted, “It’s close.” If Patterson can't go, rookie Tyler Allgeier would step into a sizable role this week.

I don't usually post stuff like this, but be careful guys. Alvin Kamara was expected to play but the Saints elevated a practice squad RB just like Atlanta did.

Thanks. I just benched him and cut Irv Smith to pick up Beasley in case Godwin and Jones are both scratches.

So, what happened today? Hot start and then he was benched? Or hurt? Any info to understand what happened?

Users who are viewing this thread