What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (1 Viewer)

Inception:

Just watched this for the 2nd time and would like to extend a friendly #### you to Krista :) for decreasing my enjoyment of the movie. You are right that as soon as he meets Juno, it turns into at least a 45 explanation as to WTF is going on. My memory of watching it was that it was a couple minutes of explaining the rules, but it is much longer than that.

Also, with other poster's beefs, there are a couple things that seem to be put in there just to move along the movie or provide drama - most notably that Scarecrow's been trained to defend an extraction, hence his subconscious projections are militarized and that they are too sedated and now dying in the dream will send you to limbo.

HOWEVER, I can still put that aside and I still think this is a damn fun movie to watch. I don't fault it much because I view it as an action movie that at least tried (and I think for the most part succeeded) to infuse some brains into the genre. Maybe others were disappointed b/c they were expecting more of The Prestige, and it broke down into an action movie. I still expect this to land on my list of movies of the year, which means it gets an 8/10.

The thing about Inception's technique I like is that Nolan is able to pull of the "cutting between four simultaneous events" editing trick - unlike George Lucas (after Empire, that is).

And I don't get the complaining about the exposition. If we don't have it then we can't possibly divine on our own what's going on - or at least doing so would reduce the likelihood of enjoying the film. I can't imagine enjoying The Matrix as much as I did the first time around if Morpheus doesn't go into his "You want to know...what the Matrix is..." monologue.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about top 5 movies with a surprise ending?I think all of mine would be fairly recent.1. The Usual Suspects2. Primal Fear3. The Prestige4. Se7en5. The Game
Sixth SenseFight ClubUsual SuspectsPlanet Of The ApesEmpire Strikes Back6. Frailty
You 2 basically covered the main ones. I'd probably find a place for Psycho on there, though.
Wasn't there just a thread about this?To which, I added: Jacob's Ladder

Inception:

Just watched this for the 2nd time and would like to extend a friendly #### you to Krista ;) for decreasing my enjoyment of the movie. You are right that as soon as he meets Juno, it turns into at least a 45 explanation as to WTF is going on. My memory of watching it was that it was a couple minutes of explaining the rules, but it is much longer than that.

Also, with other poster's beefs, there are a couple things that seem to be put in there just to move along the movie or provide drama - most notably that Scarecrow's been trained to defend an extraction, hence his subconscious projections are militarized and that they are too sedated and now dying in the dream will send you to limbo.

HOWEVER, I can still put that aside and I still think this is a damn fun movie to watch. I don't fault it much because I view it as an action movie that at least tried (and I think for the most part succeeded) to infuse some brains into the genre. Maybe others were disappointed b/c they were expecting more of The Prestige, and it broke down into an action movie. I still expect this to land on my list of movies of the year, which means it gets an 8/10.
:lmao: Knowing that you were my partner on the front lines of the anti-voice-over crusade, I figured this might bother you, too. I'm glad you still loved the movie. Even more glad to see that at least a couple of others think it's overrated, too.I didn't mind the MacGuffin, FWIW. :suds:

Inception:

Just watched this for the 2nd time and would like to extend a friendly #### you to Krista :hophead: for decreasing my enjoyment of the movie. You are right that as soon as he meets Juno, it turns into at least a 45 explanation as to WTF is going on. My memory of watching it was that it was a couple minutes of explaining the rules, but it is much longer than that.

And don't forget the most important rule: To prevent Leo's subconscious psychotic demon ##### wife from coming in and ####ing everything up you must never, ever, under any circumstances tell Leo about the design of the dream maze...unless of course you are on the third dream level where the rule that Leo can't under any circumstances hand Ellen his walkie talkie and plug his ears while she relays the vital maze information to the people who need it, supersedes the other rule. ;) I am sorry for bashing Inception because I thought it was fun to watch and interesting enough but I just feel that much of the positive response is driven by a great cast, pervasive marketing campaign and a slick presentation by Nolan.

It will probably make my 2010 Top 10 list based on its stylistic merits which overcome most of the flaws in the plot.

I also agree with Andy, the long explanation was pretty much necessary. Despite the poor execution of sticking to 'the rules' I don't think the film would have been as well received without that primer.

Yah it looks like you are correct. Looking at Spacey's filmography prior to Se7en, there isn't much there (although he was in Glengarry Glen Ross, but I haven't seen that movie and don't know how prominent his role in that film was). Because of that, the surprise/shock value of seeing Spacey as the "main suspect" probably was far less back in 1995 when the movie came out then if you saw it for the first time these days. Because of that, it's somewhat odd that Spacey was completely left out of the opening credits, but was the first name listed and it had the whole screen to itself at the beginning of the end credits.
In the 1980's Spacey played a supporting character for a year on a show called "Wiseguy".I don't know how many people recall the show but it was like "Donnie Brasco"--except it came out about ten years before that film.Spacey played a really mean villian, quite memorable. When I first saw "Se7en" that's immediately where I recognized him.

Guess the FBG:

Just watched this movie, and holy crap it's the best movie I've seen in a long time. We've got a bunch of morons over in the Avatar cartoon thread raving about what a "great movie" it is. This was a great, great movie. Awesome acting, awesome dialogue, awesome script, awesome story. Fiance and I both absolutely loved it. This is what filmmaking is about. James Cameron can take his special effects and sinking ships and blockbusters. I'll take this every day of the week.Loved it.
ote

Inception:

Just watched this for the 2nd time and would like to extend a friendly #### you to Krista ;) for decreasing my enjoyment of the movie. You are right that as soon as he meets Juno, it turns into at least a 45 explanation as to WTF is going on. My memory of watching it was that it was a couple minutes of explaining the rules, but it is much longer than that.

:lmao: Knowing that you were my partner on the front lines of the anti-voice-over crusade, I figured this might bother you, too. I'm glad you still loved the movie. Even more glad to see that at least a couple of others think it's overrated, too.I didn't mind the MacGuffin, FWIW. :shrug:
It's a tool that might be leaned on too much, but it usually doesn't annoy me instantly like the voiceover does. Maybe part of it the first time was that I was interested enough in the 'rules' that I wasn't paying attention. Now I had a background in the rules and the long explanations stuck out all the more and were a little distracting. I am sure that I'll notice it all the more in other movies now though ;)

I guess I really need to see the Social Network. Im amazed at how many lists Ive seen it at #1, or in the top 3 in almost all of them. It looks good, but that good. I dunno, and I think Eisenberg is a very good actor.

Black Swan doesnt look all that appealing to me, but also is killing it in these lists. Might have to see that sooner rather than later.

....Now I havent seen Winter's Bone, King's Speech, and a couple other highly acclaimed movies that should be good, But Id wish somebody would just grow some balls and put Inception #1. I dont think Ive seen a list that has it #1 yet, and I am certain that none of these movies will surpass it - for me - including True Grit and The Fighter which I'll probably enjoy more than all the above mentioned anyway.
Really?I mean it was an interesting concept and all...

And would someone please explain why if there is no gravity on level one (van chase shootout on the bridge) there cannot be gravity on level two (Gordon Levitt fighting in the hotel), but even if there is no gravity on level one and/or two there can be gravity on level three (the snow fortress fight)? WTF?

And did all the bad guys get their weapons training from COBRA? They couldn't hit the ocean from the beach.

Sure the ending was interesting, but it was pretty much the most obvious ending possible. Is he or isn't he? Ooooooooooo. Well no ####! What other direction would any film director possibly have chosen to go? Ambiguity was really the only option for an ending.

*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***");document.close();Again, I thought it was interesting but not everything people made it out to be. This film has many flaws.
Not only the best movie Ive seen this year, but probably my favorite in maybe 5 years. Its so complex Im not sure if you know what youre calling "flaws" are actually flaws. I dont recall all the "rule breaking" occuring in dreams that you are referring to, although I need to see it again as a couple concepts confused me on how they were feasible, the gravity situation not being one of them.It was a massively anticipated movie, and it exceeded expectations. Really the only thing I can knock it for is despite a very talented cast, no one has a great performance. Even with that in mind, best movie of the year for me. I cant wait to see The Fighter and True Grit, but there's just no way theyll blow me away and leave me in awe, talking about the movie weeks after Ive seen it like Inception did. That not the criteria to win the Academy Award obviously, but enough for me to call it the best film of the year.

I also loved The Departed and probably rank it #2 for Scorsese movies though so Im probably crazy*

*Havent seen King of Comedy or After Hours

Was also surprised to see Kevin Spacey was the "main suspect", had no idea coming in he was in the movie
I believe his name was deliberately left off the opening credits.
Didn't even think about that, but now that you mention it I think you're right in that he wasn't listed in the opening credits. Opening credits were pretty cool also.
Interesting...But at that point, I had never seen or heard of Kevin Spacey- had anybody else? I'm sure he'd been working prior to that, but enough to be a household name? I could be wrong, but I say no. For me, that was his debut- and what a debut.
I was 11 when Se7en came out, so clearly by the time I got around to seeing it Spacey had made a bigger name for himself, but Usual Suspects and Outbreak both came out before Se7en (although all 3 in 1995. He also had a few other recognizable movie before 95 - Glengarry Glen Ross, The Ref, Consenting Adults, Swimming With Sharks.ETA - 95 was the year that really put him on the map though

I guess I really need to see the Social Network. Im amazed at how many lists Ive seen it at #1, or in the top 3 in almost all of them. It looks good, but that good. I dunno, and I think Eisenberg is a very good actor.

Black Swan doesnt look all that appealing to me, but also is killing it in these lists. Might have to see that sooner rather than later.

....Now I havent seen Winter's Bone, King's Speech, and a couple other highly acclaimed movies that should be good, But Id wish somebody would just grow some balls and put Inception #1. I dont think Ive seen a list that has it #1 yet, and I am certain that none of these movies will surpass it - for me - including True Grit and The Fighter which I'll probably enjoy more than all the above mentioned anyway.

And would someone please explain why if there is no gravity on level one (van chase shootout on the bridge) there cannot be gravity on level two (Gordon Levitt fighting in the hotel), but even if there is no gravity on level one and/or two there can be gravity on level three (the snow fortress fight)? WTF?

And did all the bad guys get their weapons training from COBRA? They couldn't hit the ocean from the beach.

Sure the ending was interesting, but it was pretty much the most obvious ending possible. Is he or isn't he? Ooooooooooo. Well no ####! What other direction would any film director possibly have chosen to go? Ambiguity was really the only option for an ending.

*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***
");document.close();Again, I thought it was interesting but not everything people made it out to be. This film has many flaws.
Not only the best movie Ive seen this year, but probably my favorite in maybe 5 years. Its so complex Im not sure if you know what youre calling "flaws" are actually flaws. I dont recall all the "rule breaking" occuring in dreams that you are referring to, although I need to see it again as a couple concepts confused me on how they were feasible, the gravity situation not being one of them.It was a massively anticipated movie, and it exceeded expectations. Really the only thing I can knock it for is despite a very talented cast, no one has a great performance. Even with that in mind, best movie of the year for me. I cant wait to see The Fighter and True Grit, but there's just no way theyll blow me away and leave me in awe, talking about the movie weeks after Ive seen it like Inception did. That not the criteria to win the Academy Award obviously, but enough for me to call it the best film of the year.

I also loved The Departed and probably rank it #2 for Scorsese movies though so Im probably crazy*

Departed as Scorcese's #2? AND Inception as best film of the last 5 years?Lots of no.

And I like Departed and Inception.

I'm with Chaka on this one. Great visuals/audio, which covers up some pretty glaring holes in the premise/plot. I had a hard time getting on board with how what they were doing was even possible, they didn't really bother to explain it, just offer it as granted. Eventually the whole "what's real/what's dream" wasn't really compelling and it devolved into action sequences for the sake of action sequences - which were rendered spectacularly - leaving me to feel they could have done somewhat better if they had found other things to explore in these dream states than straight up violence.
I wouldnt argue with people calling it an action movie covered up as a suspenseful drama, but its just as much sci-fi too....I dont know about you, but when Im watching sci-fi movies I dont become less interested, more skeptical, or quit watching because I dont believe whats happening is actually possible.

Saw Se7en for the first time. Really good story; Morgan Freeman was phenomenal, surprised he wasn't nominated for an Oscar for his performance. Was also surprised to see Kevin Spacey was the "main suspect", had no idea coming in he was in the movie. He plays that creepy/#######/annoying bad guy very well, he makes me want to punch him in the face every time. The ending of that film could have gone a lot of different ways, I think I would have liked it to end slightly differently.
Unpleasant though it is, I really love this movie.

Ebert's top 10 movies of 2010---

1. The Social Network

2. The King's Speech

3. Black Swan

4. I Am Love

5. Winter's Bone

6. Inception

7. The Secret in Their Eyes

8. The American

9. The Kids Are All Right

10. The Ghost Writer
HERE is the A.V. Club's top movies of the year.
The Kids Are All Right looks terrible. Preachy and agenda-driven. I could be wrong, but I saw that director in an interview and she did not come across very well.
It is neither of those things. I'm not sure it's entirely successful, but it presents the central lesbian couple as an admirably flawed marriage.
:confused:

Was also surprised to see Kevin Spacey was the "main suspect", had no idea coming in he was in the movie
I believe his name was deliberately left off the opening credits.
Didn't even think about that, but now that you mention it I think you're right in that he wasn't listed in the opening credits. Opening credits were pretty cool also.
Interesting...But at that point, I had never seen or heard of Kevin Spacey- had anybody else? I'm sure he'd been working prior to that, but enough to be a household name? I could be wrong, but I say no. For me, that was his debut- and what a debut.
I was 11 when Se7en came out, so clearly by the time I got around to seeing it Spacey had made a bigger name for himself, but Usual Suspects and Outbreak both came out before Se7en (although all 3 in 1995. He also had a few other recognizable movie before 95 - Glengarry Glen Ross, The Ref, Consenting Adults, Swimming With Sharks.ETA - 95 was the year that really put him on the map though
Wow, no wonder I'm the way I am. I was 11 in 95 as well and I remember watching se7en from the new release section, so that had to be around the age of 12. Must have been 11 when I watched Pulp Fiction for the first time because I had my mom call in and reserve it on it's release date.

Saw Se7en for the first time. Really good story; Morgan Freeman was phenomenal, surprised he wasn't nominated for an Oscar for his performance. Was also surprised to see Kevin Spacey was the "main suspect", had no idea coming in he was in the movie. He plays that creepy/#######/annoying bad guy very well, he makes me want to punch him in the face every time. The ending of that film could have gone a lot of different ways, I think I would have liked it to end slightly differently.
First DVD I ever bought.Recent views -

Scott Pilgrim vs the World - Good fun. Eternal Sunshine meets Mortal Kombat. 3/5

Sorcerer's Apprentice - Some crappy story telling. Characters seemed to appear out of nowhere (Celebrity Magician Guy / Salem Witch). Still was somewhat entertained by it. The dragon scene was pretty cool, so was the car chase. - 2.5/5.

A-Team - Garbage 2/5

Pirate Radio - Love PSH, but didn't make it through this one. 1/5

that's because it's awesome

*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***
");document.close();Again, I thought it was interesting but not everything people made it out to be. This film has many flaws.

Departed as Scorcese's #2? AND Inception as best film of the last 5 years?Lots of no.

Well, its safe to say both would be in my Top 5, but a better adjective might be "favorite" as opposed to "best"And hey, its just my opinion, so there cant really be "lots of no"...Its not like Im saying my favorite movies of the last 5 years were The Happening and Stomp The Yard, or maybe a better genre comparison of Righteous Kill and The Fountain.

Movies like There Will Be Blood, Capote, The Pianist I would all call great, but I have no interest whatsoever to see them again and they dont come near to being as enjoyable - especially on repeated viewings - to me as The Departed or Inception (though I guess I need more viewing for the latter).

Sherlock Holmes....Thought it was above average-very good for a box office, popcorn flick. RDJr kept it interesting, Mark Strong has come on to be one of the best bad guy actors the last few years IMO, and some nice action, special effects, production design/settings as well....7.2/10

Repo Men.....I was really love and hate with this. On one hand, I thought the near-futuristic style was great, sort of Blade Runner-esque. The action, special effects was all pretty good. Storyline was intriguing although I wish Whitaker's character who was lifelong friends with Jude Law's wouldve teamed up instead of him hunting him down (which wouldve made more sense to boot, as well as give Whitaker more screen time as he didnt have much). On all these aspects, I wouldve given around an 7.5-8/10 probably. On the other hand, the topic of repoing people's replacement organs who couldnt make their monthly payments and whatnot on time sort of turned me off of the movie. I guess Ive just seen too many people die in the hospital that taking someone's organs back, which you gave them to live, felt wrong,unethical, and over the top - although I began to tolerate it more as the movie went on (great cameo scene by RZA where he gets his heart repoed, BTW). The other thing was that the ending was simply one of the worst I have ever seen, and for the most part didnt make much sense with the story or give you any idea why it was feasible and what they were doing. Id probably say its worth watching, but both those negatives were bigger red flags than usual for me, so I'll go 6/10

Stolen...Straight to DVD/HBO movie about a detective trying to find his missing son, which he connects to a similar disappearance 50 years ago of someone else's son as he tries to solve the case(s). Pretty good performances by both Jon Hamm and the vastly underrated and underused Josh Lucas. Thought the storytelling and editing of the parallel storylines was quite good. Ending got wrapped up too quick for the pace of the movie IMO - which takes a little long to go anywhere in the first place - and by the time you get there I found the ending didnt live up to the rest of the movie. However, the acting and flashback story maintained my interest...5/10

And while I enjoyed the ending it was about the most obvious choice for Nolan to make. No doubt it worked but was anyone really surprised?

I'm with Chaka on this one. Great visuals/audio, which covers up some pretty glaring holes in the premise/plot. I had a hard time getting on board with how what they were doing was even possible, they didn't really bother to explain it, just offer it as granted. Eventually the whole "what's real/what's dream" wasn't really compelling and it devolved into action sequences for the sake of action sequences - which were rendered spectacularly - leaving me to feel they could have done somewhat better if they had found other things to explore in these dream states than straight up violence.
I wouldnt argue with people calling it an action movie covered up as a suspenseful drama, but its just as much sci-fi too....I dont know about you, but when Im watching sci-fi movies I dont become less interested, more skeptical, or quit watching because I dont believe whats happening is actually possible.
I have no problem suspending disbelief (like I said earlier I don't need an explanation of how entering dreams is possible, it just is).What I have a problem with is when they make a point of defining the system in great detail and then proceed to ignore most of what they just spent time explaining. Would have been better without going so far in depth into what was and was not possible within dreams.

I need to watch it again, perhaps it will clear up my own problems with the film. On first blush Inception is Nolan's fifth best film on my list (in no particular order: Both Batman films, Memento & The Prestige).

Stolen...Straight to DVD/HBO movie about a detective trying to find his missing son,

.... However, the acting and flashback story maintained my interest...5/10
Flashback story was the only good part of this movie. The "present day" story didn't even make sense.

Wow, no wonder I'm the way I am. I was 11 in 95 as well and I remember watching se7en from the new release section, so that had to be around the age of 12. Must have been 11 when I watched Pulp Fiction for the first time because I had my mom call in and reserve it on it's release date.
####, I had enough trouble getting a hold of parental advisory albums like Pantera, Metallica, Korn, etc. to even think about watching R-Rated movies on the living room TV while my mom was around (which was often since she didnt work) when I was 11-12. I think T2 was the first real R I saw and I was 12 or 13 and that was just thanks to my Pops overruling Mom. After that it was a slippery slope and within a couple years I was watching anything I wanted :lmao: These kids with DVRs and their own TVs these days dont know how good they got it!! :bs:

What I have a problem with is when they make a point of defining the system in great detail and then proceed to ignore most of what they just spent time explaining.
I call this the Cannonball Run situation... they spend a lot of time setting up the rules at the beginning (Cannonball Run's "staggered start", when the official explains it's total travel time, not who gets there first, that decides who wins), then forgetting about them by the end (Cannonball Run's race to the finish line, which shouldn't have been neccessary as Dom DeLuise still has like a whole extra day to cross and still finish in the shortest elapsed time).

Well, its safe to say both would be in my Top 5, but a better adjective might be "favorite" as opposed to "best"And hey, its just my opinion, so there cant really be "lots of no"...Its not like Im saying my favorite movies of the last 5 years were The Happening and Stomp The Yard, or maybe a better genre comparison of Righteous Kill and The Fountain.

Movies like There Will Be Blood, Capote, The Pianist I would all call great, but I have no interest whatsoever to see them again and they dont come near to being as enjoyable - especially on repeated viewings - to me as The Departed or Inception (though I guess I need more viewing for the latter).

sorry man- honestly read that as "best" when you clearly stated "favorite" up there.but Departed as the #2? Without googling, I'd put a lot of his films ahead of it- and again- I liked the Departed. Off hand: KoC, After Hours, Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, LToC, Goodfellas... I'm sure I'm spacing on some.

I preferred Winter's Bone this year, and in terms of the last few years- Lives of Others is hand's down my favorite film of the last... dunno- long time.

But again- I enjoyed Inception for what it was: decent action, somewhat interesting concept (albeit, not original), solid acting (although Juno was miscast) and well crafted scenes. I agree with the previous poster who said it was smart,fun well made Summer Movie that almost had no place being a Summer Movie.

What I have a problem with is when they make a point of defining the system in great detail and then proceed to ignore most of what they just spent time explaining.
I call this the Cannonball Run situation... they spend a lot of time setting up the rules at the beginning (Cannonball Run's "staggered start", when the official explains it's total travel time, not who gets there first, that decides who wins), then forgetting about them by the end (Cannonball Run's race to the finish line, which shouldn't have been neccessary as Dom DeLuise still has like a whole extra day to cross and still finish in the shortest elapsed time).
:lmao:

1) When you die in dreams you wake up (or go up to the next level). Until it became convenient for the plot to violate that rule. They explained it with the narcotic effect of the new drug but they felt like an add on (a mea culpa) and they could have dealt with the limbo situation earlier.

2) Floating on level 1 = floating on level 2 <> floating on level 3. The rule was clearly violated with zero explanation or justification.

3) More of a guideline than a rule but Leo made not letting him know the layout of the maze a very critical point in the planning of the mission but then violated his own rule when he could have just as easily told Paige to relay the information about the tunnel through the snow fortress. Makes no sense except as a device to get Leo into Limbo.
*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***");document.close();And while I enjoyed the ending it was about the most obvious choice for Nolan to make. No doubt it worked but was anyone really surprised?
Im not going to get into an Inception depate/argument, but my answers to 1 and 2 would be:
1) I was under the impression Dicaprio knew about limbo the whole time, but didnt explain until that moment because had the rest of the team been aware of it they wouldnt have agreed to the mission.

2) Smoovy basically explained this. There actually were periods of time where they were floating on the Fortress level, but since time compounded and moved fasted/took longer, they werent floating for as long on that level. What I just said might be the opposite though

*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***");document.close();You can nitpick every movie. Stuff like this I was able to ignore because everything else had me so captivated as I was trying to follow everything that these didnt make me enjoy the movie any less...I do need to see it a couple more times though

:lmao: you just blew my mind.

it honestly never occurred to me about the staggered start/race to the finish.

but Departed as the #2? Without googling, I'd put a lot of his films ahead of it- and again- I liked the Departed. Off hand: KoC, After Hours, Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, LToC, Goodfellas... I'm sure I'm spacing on some.I preferred Winter's Bone this year, and in terms of the last few years- Lives of Others is hand's down my favorite film of the last... dunno- long time.
Eh, for Scorsese Id be likeGoodfellasDeparted/Casino (tie)Taxi DriverGangs of New York....and dare I say Shutter Island might be 6th :lmao: ...I havent seen KoC, After Hours but want to...Didnt like Raging Bull much at all...Have no interest to see LToCAgain, Lives of Others is another perfect example. I loved it, thought it was great (best foreign film besides City of God for me) and wouldnt mind seeing it again, but its not classic for me or something I'll want to watch as often as a lot of other movies.

but Departed as the #2? Without googling, I'd put a lot of his films ahead of it- and again- I liked the Departed. Off hand: KoC, After Hours, Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, LToC, Goodfellas... I'm sure I'm spacing on some.

I preferred Winter's Bone this year, and in terms of the last few years- Lives of Others is hand's down my favorite film of the last... dunno- long time.
Eh, for Scorsese Id be likeGoodfellas

Departed/Casino (tie)

Taxi Driver

Gangs of New York

...I havent seen KoC, After Hours but want to...Didnt like Raging Bull much at all...Have no interest to see LToC

Again, Lives of Others is another perfect example. I loved it, thought it was great (best foreign film besides City of God for me) and wouldnt mind seeing it again, but its not classic for me or something I'll want to watch as often as a lot of other movies.
I'll watch Costner's the Postman 8 million times, but it doesn't make it a good movie. :goodposting: and yeah- City of God was pretty great too. but are you saying best foreign of all time, or recently?

if you get a chance, IMO Last Temptation is very worth the watch. Oh... Kundun too- I prefer that to the Departed. Age of Innocence and Shutter Island, not so much.... although I feel like I need to give the former another try.

eta: is there a particular reason LToC doesn't appeal? the whole... religion thing?

####, I had enough trouble getting a hold of parental advisory albums like Pantera, Metallica, Korn, etc. to even think about watching R-Rated movies on the living room TV while my mom was around (which was often since she didnt work) when I was 11-12. I think T2 was the first real R I saw and I was 12 or 13 and that was just thanks to my Pops overruling Mom. After that it was a slippery slope and within a couple years I was watching anything I wanted :thumbdown: These kids with DVRs and their own TVs these days dont know how good they got it!! :doh:
Used to have to bust out the head phones to listen to the Friday soundtrack cassette I some how got my hands on, but that was the only thing I can remember being censored on. I don't even know if my mom knew what the ratings system was when I was growing up.She did bust my Butthole Surfers cd in high school while she was searching my car for drugs, she thought that maybe I had caught a case of the gay.I :wub: my mother.

but Departed as the #2? Without googling, I'd put a lot of his films ahead of it- and again- I liked the Departed. Off hand: KoC, After Hours, Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, LToC, Goodfellas... I'm sure I'm spacing on some.

Departed/Casino (tie)

Taxi Driver

Gangs of New York

...I havent seen KoC, After Hours but want to...Didnt like Raging Bull much at all...Have no interest to see LToC

Again, Lives of Others is another perfect example. I loved it, thought it was great (best foreign film besides City of God for me) and wouldnt mind seeing it again, but its not classic for me or something I'll want to watch as often as a lot of other movies.
I'll watch Costner's the Postman 8 million times, but it doesn't make it a good movie. :thumbdown: and yeah- City of God was pretty great too. but are you saying best foreign of all time, or recently?

if you get a chance, IMO Last Temptation is very worth the watch. Oh... Kundun too- I prefer that to the Departed. Age of Innocence and Shutter Island, not so much.... although I feel like I need to give the former another try.

eta: is there a particular reason LToC doesn't appeal? the whole... religion thing?
It's an area I've been trying to expand my scope on, but yeah, City of God is #1 on my foreign films list too.

1) When you die in dreams you wake up (or go up to the next level). Until it became convenient for the plot to violate that rule. They explained it with the narcotic effect of the new drug but they felt like an add on (a mea culpa) and they could have dealt with the limbo situation earlier.

2) Floating on level 1 = floating on level 2 <> floating on level 3. The rule was clearly violated with zero explanation or justification.

3) More of a guideline than a rule but Leo made not letting him know the layout of the maze a very critical point in the planning of the mission but then violated his own rule when he could have just as easily told Paige to relay the information about the tunnel through the snow fortress. Makes no sense except as a device to get Leo into Limbo.
");document.close();And while I enjoyed the ending it was about the most obvious choice for Nolan to make. No doubt it worked but was anyone really surprised?
Im not going to get into an Inception depate/argument, but my answers to 1 and 2 would be:
1) I was under the impression Dicaprio knew about limbo the whole time, but didnt explain until that moment because had the rest of the team been aware of it they wouldnt have agreed to the mission.

2) Smoovy basically explained this. There actually were periods of time where they were floating on the Fortress level, but since time compounded and moved fasted/took longer, they werent floating for as long on that level. What I just said might be the opposite though

*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***");document.close();You can nitpick every movie. Stuff like this I was able to ignore because everything else had me so captivated as I was trying to follow everything that these didnt make me enjoy the movie any less...I do need to see it a couple more times though

I don't consider it nit picking, I see these as fairly significant flaws in the story. It felt like they were just making #### up as they were going along. It wouldn't have been a problem if they had gone a little easier on the explanation of the rules earlier in the film.Great movie look at, just don't think about it too much.

So- interesting, I've been thinking more about WInter's Bone lately- it's stuck with me. Pretty sure I commented that something was missing for me in the movie- a kind of edge related to suspense maybe (it's still not entirely clear to me what was lacking at the time for me, just that I wasn't all googly moogly over it). But as I reflect- what came up missing for me while watching, actually resonates with me in the reflection. That movie was SOOOO much about real life in a corner of the world... and real life isn't necessarily suspenseful, even when you're in the middle of something important. The film carried the sense of drama (more than suspense... and maybe my connecting to the movie with a "suspense movie" is part of what was missing for me?) over the family situation amazingly well and didn't need any white-knuckled freakouts (even if the lake scene had a lot of cringe/creepy in it).And hot-damn, it was so well written and performed, let alone directed and especially art-directed (lighting was amazing too in it's naturalness).
:shrug:

Guess the FBG:

Just watched this movie, and holy crap it's the best movie I've seen in a long time. We've got a bunch of morons over in the Avatar cartoon thread raving about what a "great movie" it is. This was a great, great movie. Awesome acting, awesome dialogue, awesome script, awesome story. Fiance and I both absolutely loved it. This is what filmmaking is about. James Cameron can take his special effects and sinking ships and blockbusters. I'll take this every day of the week.Loved it.
Either Krista or Tim.
Definitely not Krista. She's not into calling people "morons."

So- interesting, I've been thinking more about WInter's Bone lately- it's stuck with me. Pretty sure I commented that something was missing for me in the movie- a kind of edge related to suspense maybe (it's still not entirely clear to me what was lacking at the time for me, just that I wasn't all googly moogly over it). But as I reflect- what came up missing for me while watching, actually resonates with me in the reflection. That movie was SOOOO much about real life in a corner of the world... and real life isn't necessarily suspenseful, even when you're in the middle of something important. The film carried the sense of drama (more than suspense... and maybe my connecting to the movie with a "suspense movie" is part of what was missing for me?) over the family situation amazingly well and didn't need any white-knuckled freakouts (even if the lake scene had a lot of cringe/creepy in it).And hot-damn, it was so well written and performed, let alone directed and especially art-directed (lighting was amazing too in it's naturalness).
I'm on board with that. :banned:I am glad Floppo has backed off the notion that WB would have been more interesting as a revenge thriller. That was you Floppo, wasn't it?

I'm on board with that. :banned:I am glad Floppo has backed off the notion that WB would have been more interesting as a revenge thriller. That was you Floppo, wasn't it?
That was hooter, I think

I'm on board with that. :banned: I am glad Floppo has backed off the notion that WB would have been more interesting as a revenge thriller. That was you Floppo, wasn't it?
That was hooter, I think
Pre-Law, Pre-Med what's the difference?

:lmao:
I'm on board with that. :hifive: I am glad Floppo has backed off the notion that WB would have been more interesting as a revenge thriller. That was you Floppo, wasn't it?
That was hooter, I think
I wish I was pre something.

:goodposting:
I'm on board with that. :lmao: I am glad Floppo has backed off the notion that WB would have been more interesting as a revenge thriller. That was you Floppo, wasn't it?
That was hooter, I think
It didn't have to be a full out revenge thriller, but yes, it would have been nice if Teardrop capped somebody.

I have no problem suspending disbelief (like I said earlier I don't need an explanation of how entering dreams is possible, it just is).What I have a problem with is when they make a point of defining the system in great detail and then proceed to ignore most of what they just spent time explaining. Would have been better without going so far in depth into what was and was not possible within dreams.

I need to watch it again, perhaps it will clear up my own problems with the film. On first blush Inception is Nolan's fifth best film on my list (in no particular order: Both Batman films, Memento & The Prestige).
I'd put it behind Following, too.

"gumball rally">"cannonball run"

Departed/Casino (tie)

Taxi Driver

Gangs of New York

I'll watch Costner's the Postman 8 million times, but it doesn't make it a good movie. :yes: and yeah- City of God was pretty great too. but are you saying best foreign of all time, or recently?

I'll :ptts: you over The Age of Innocence. It's been a long time, but I loved that movie.

Gumball Rally? Wow, that's digging deep, deep into the Way-Back Machine.Funny thing (to me) is that I got nostalgic for Gumball Rally a couple months ago and re-watched it. It's still a fun movie. I never thought it would get a mention here. Nice one.

Never seen it. I'll have to check it out.

Gumball Rally? Wow, that's digging deep, deep into the Way-Back Machine.Funny thing (to me) is that I got nostalgic for Gumball Rally a couple months ago and re-watched it. It's still a fun movie. I never thought it would get a mention here. Nice one.
Those Daring Young Men in Their Jaunty Jalopies (1969) down?

Oh come on you two. Following is good, but relies WAY too much on coincidence to make the plot work. And the two Batman movies are decent but in no way are they superior to Inception (especially the first).I would put Memento above it, though.

Users who are viewing this thread