What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (3 Viewers)

I need to watch it again, perhaps it will clear up my own problems with the film. On first blush Inception is Nolan's fifth best film on my list (in no particular order: Both Batman films, Memento & The Prestige).
I'd put it behind Following, too.
Oh come on you two. Following is good, but relies WAY too much on coincidence to make the plot work. And the two Batman movies are decent but in no way are they superior to Inception (especially the first).I would put Memento above it, though.
Granted I haven't seen Following in many years (watched it just after seeing Memento in theaters), but my initial opinion of it was more positive than the one I had immediately after watching this.I haven't seen the Batman movies. :shrug:

I'm with Chaka on this one. Great visuals/audio, which covers up some pretty glaring holes in the premise/plot. I had a hard time getting on board with how what they were doing was even possible, they didn't really bother to explain it, just offer it as granted. Eventually the whole "what's real/what's dream" wasn't really compelling and it devolved into action sequences for the sake of action sequences - which were rendered spectacularly - leaving me to feel they could have done somewhat better if they had found other things to explore in these dream states than straight up violence.
I wouldnt argue with people calling it an action movie covered up as a suspenseful drama, but its just as much sci-fi too....I dont know about you, but when Im watching sci-fi movies I dont become less interested, more skeptical, or quit watching because I dont believe whats happening is actually possible.
I have no problem suspending disbelief (like I said earlier I don't need an explanation of how entering dreams is possible, it just is).What I have a problem with is when they make a point of defining the system in great detail and then proceed to ignore most of what they just spent time explaining. Would have been better without going so far in depth into what was and was not possible within dreams.

I need to watch it again, perhaps it will clear up my own problems with the film. On first blush Inception is Nolan's fifth best film on my list (in no particular order: Both Batman films, Memento & The Prestige).
I know that, while our tastes are mostly on the money but can differ from time to time............but that's just crazy talk. In virtually no way imaginable is that a better film.

Granted I haven't seen Following in many years (watched it just after seeing Memento in theaters), but my initial opinion of it was more positive than the one I had immediately after watching this.

I haven't seen the Batman movies. :goodposting:
I'm not sure you'd like them. The first is too close to Burton for me (especially the last third) and while I did enjoy the second, I think it's gotten to be severely overrated.

Funny thing (to me) is that I got nostalgic for Gumball Rally a couple months ago and re-watched it. It's still a fun movie. I never thought it would get a mention here. Nice one.
i remember it was an ABC movie of the night for a few years and i looked forward to it. i watched again a few years later and it's such a product of its time. although i like "gumball rally" because it is silly fun, it's not a classic.

Oh come on you two. Following is good, but relies WAY too much on coincidence to make the plot work. And the two Batman movies are decent but in no way are they superior to Inception (especially the first).I would put Memento above it, though.
I haven't seen Following.Inception was a visually stunning film with a semi-original story. But it was not the incredible, mind-blowing experience that people make it out to be. It's easy to blow someone's mind when you make things unnecessarily complicated and then proceed to ignore most of the complicated ground work that was laid in the first half of the film. I am not talking about realism either, it's a fantasy film I don't require realism what I would have liked to see is some consistency within the story. I think both Batman films, while clearly not as intellectually challenging, had far more consistency, were visually enjoyable and overall they were better told, tighter stories.

The broader concepts about what reality truly is and does reality even matter are very interesting to explore but the package they wrapped those concepts around was, IMO, could have been executed better. Those limitations were glossed over by an all-star cast and a slick marketing campaign. It feels like the Inception party line was "If you didn't like it, it's because you didn't understand it." It's hard to take the other side against that kind of argument.

It was a good film, probably a Top 10 film of 2010. Personally I don't find it all that compelling.

Funny thing (to me) is that I got nostalgic for Gumball Rally a couple months ago and re-watched it. It's still a fun movie. I never thought it would get a mention here. Nice one.
i remember it was an ABC movie of the night for a few years and i looked forward to it. i watched again a few years later and it's such a product of its time. although i like "gumball rally" because it is silly fun, it's not a classic.
I remember that too. Definitely not a classic but nostalgia does make up for a lot of flaws.

haven't seen Following.Inception was a visually stunning film with a semi-original story. But it was not the incredible, mind-blowing experience that people make it out to be. It's easy to blow someone's mind when you make things unnecessarily complicated and then proceed to ignore most of the complicated ground work that was laid in the first half of the film. I am not talking about realism either, it's a fantasy film I don't require realism what I would have liked to see is some consistency within the story. I think both Batman films, while clearly not as intellectually challenging, had far more consistency, were visually enjoyable and overall they were better told, tighter stories.The broader concepts about what reality truly is and does reality even matter are very interesting to explore but the package they wrapped those concepts around was, IMO, could have been executed better. Those limitations were glossed over by an all-star cast and a slick marketing campaign. It feels like the Inception party line was "If you didn't like it, it's because you didn't understand it." It's hard to take the other side against that kind of argument.It was a good film, probably a Top 10 film of 2010. Personally I don't find it all that compelling.
I think you've got it all wrong. The movie isn't about reality and Inception. It's about letting go of the past. Cobb couldn't let go of Mal. His guilt caused him to hang onto her. That guilt was carried into the Inception world with potentially dire consequences not only for Cobb, but those around him. Inception is just a construct to convey that message.And I don't see at all how it was unnecessarily complicated nor that it broke the rules as the story went on.

Inception was a visually stunning film with a semi-original story. But it was not the incredible, mind-blowing experience that people make it out to be. It's easy to blow someone's mind when you make things unnecessarily complicated and then proceed to ignore most of the complicated ground work that was laid in the first half of the film. I am not talking about realism either, it's a fantasy film I don't require realism what I would have liked to see is some consistency within the story. I think both Batman films, while clearly not as intellectually challenging, had far more consistency, were visually enjoyable and overall they were better told, tighter stories.The broader concepts about what reality truly is and does reality even matter are very interesting to explore but the package they wrapped those concepts around was, IMO, could have been executed better. Those limitations were glossed over by an all-star cast and a slick marketing campaign. It feels like the Inception party line was "If you didn't like it, it's because you didn't understand it." It's hard to take the other side against that kind of argument.It was a good film, probably a Top 10 film of 2010. Personally I don't find it all that compelling.
:) It was fun to watch, but it wasn't great overall.

haven't seen Following.

Inception was a visually stunning film with a semi-original story. But it was not the incredible, mind-blowing experience that people make it out to be. It's easy to blow someone's mind when you make things unnecessarily complicated and then proceed to ignore most of the complicated ground work that was laid in the first half of the film. I am not talking about realism either, it's a fantasy film I don't require realism what I would have liked to see is some consistency within the story. I think both Batman films, while clearly not as intellectually challenging, had far more consistency, were visually enjoyable and overall they were better told, tighter stories.

The broader concepts about what reality truly is and does reality even matter are very interesting to explore but the package they wrapped those concepts around was, IMO, could have been executed better. Those limitations were glossed over by an all-star cast and a slick marketing campaign. It feels like the Inception party line was "If you didn't like it, it's because you didn't understand it." It's hard to take the other side against that kind of argument.

It was a good film, probably a Top 10 film of 2010. Personally I don't find it all that compelling.
I think you've got it all wrong. The movie isn't about reality and Inception. It's about letting go of the past. Cobb couldn't let go of Mal. His guilt caused him to hang onto her. That guilt was carried into the Inception world with potentially dire consequences not only for Cobb, but those around him. Inception is just a construct to convey that message.

And I don't see at all how it was unnecessarily complicated nor that it broke the rules as the story went on.
:confused: You and me, and Chaka and Groovus seem to be :shrug: in agreement on Inception.

Whats funny is I how Chaka is so critical about parts of it that dont even need fixed, yet its still in his Top 10 for the year. I think that says something......It was only semi-original? They ignore most of the groundwork? A slick marketing campaign made so many people love it? :rolleyes:

Of course the Batmans had more consistency and a tighter story. The story was good guy hero needs to catch bad guy. bad guy does bad things. good guy saves people and kills bad guy...and then there was good guy kill bad guy part 2

Whats funny is I how Chaka is so critical about parts of it that dont even need fixed, yet its still in his Top 10 for the year. I think that says something......It was only semi-original? They ignore most of the groundwork? A slick marketing campaign made so many people love it? :lmao:
To be clear, I'm not saying it was a bad movie. I think it was a good movie. Not a great movie, for reasons Chaka is covering. And saying it's a top 10 movie this year doesn't mean a ton considering it doesn't seem to be a fantastic year for movies overall.When the social network seems to be getting held up as the best movie of the year by lots of people it's not a good year for movies.

haven't seen Following.

Inception was a visually stunning film with a semi-original story. But it was not the incredible, mind-blowing experience that people make it out to be. It's easy to blow someone's mind when you make things unnecessarily complicated and then proceed to ignore most of the complicated ground work that was laid in the first half of the film. I am not talking about realism either, it's a fantasy film I don't require realism what I would have liked to see is some consistency within the story. I think both Batman films, while clearly not as intellectually challenging, had far more consistency, were visually enjoyable and overall they were better told, tighter stories.

I think you've got it all wrong. The movie isn't about reality and Inception. It's about letting go of the past. Cobb couldn't let go of Mal. His guilt caused him to hang onto her. That guilt was carried into the Inception world with potentially dire consequences not only for Cobb, but those around him. Inception is just a construct to convey that message.

And I don't see at all how it was unnecessarily complicated nor that it broke the rules as the story went on.
:hifive: You and me, and Chaka and Groovus seem to be :hifive: in agreement on Inception.

Whats funny is I how Chaka is so critical about parts of it that dont even need fixed, yet its still in his Top 10 for the year. I think that says something......It was only semi-original? They ignore most of the groundwork? A slick marketing campaign made so many people love it? :rolleyes:

Of course the Batmans had more consistency and a tighter story. The story was good guy hero needs to catch bad guy. bad guy does bad things. good guy saves people and kills bad guy...and then there was good guy kill bad guy part 2
I enjoyed Inception, I am not trying to hide that fact. I just don't see it as everything people make it out to be. And yes I think it benefits from name recognition ("Leo and the Batman guy" make for easy marketing and wide spread acceptance).The flaws are glaring and for the most part were completely unnecessary. Let's be honest the gravity issue was only created to allow for a cool fight scene. And then ignored for convenience on Level 3.

And it is only a semi-original premise. This was done (with dream assassination instead of dream conning as the backdrop) in the 1984 film Dreamscape. Inception is a far more intricate film and explores more philosophical questions about the nature of reality but the premise is pretty much the same.

They do ignore most of the rules/ground work that they spend a significant amount of time laying out. It made much of the film feel contrived to allow for cool stylistic elements, and I found that I did not become lost within the film (my becoming lost in a film while viewing it is one of my benchmarks for a truly great film).

The problems with Inception became a distraction for me, particularly because they seemed unnecessary. I understand I am in the minority here, but I did enjoy the film enough stylistically (as well as the deeper questions it asks) that I will definitely watch it again, perhaps my viewpoint (which isn't truly negative) will soften.

I think that along with the style it was clever enough to warrant praise and recognition.

Inception just feels overhyped, that doesn't mean it's a bad film.

Last edited by a moderator:
Granted I haven't seen Following in many years (watched it just after seeing Memento in theaters), but my initial opinion of it was more positive than the one I had immediately after watching this.

I haven't seen the Batman movies. :blackdot:
I'm not sure you'd like them. The first is too close to Burton for me (especially the last third) and while I did enjoy the second, I think it's gotten to be severely overrated.
I'd like them a lot more with out Bale's hiss. Still, Heath Ledger's Joker is one of the most iconic roles in film history.

I haven't seen the Batman movies. :moneybag:
I'd like them a lot more with out Bale's hiss. Still, Heath Ledger's Joker is one of the most iconic roles in film history.
The hiss wasn't really present in the first one, or at least it wasn't as distracting as it was in the second. Some of his scenes as Batman did take me out of the moment while watching. Thought he was channeling Clint Eastwood, but not in a good way.

Saw The Death of Mr. Lazarescu, a Romanian comedy/drama film. Perhaps the most genuine/realistic film of real life that I've ever seen, with many long continuous shots that really draws you into the story. A requirement for these long continuous shots to be successful is fantastic acting, and that is definitely the case in this film. The comedy in the movie is very dry and very dark, not something I normally see to often.

However, the movie is really long, at ~2.5 hours. As a result, the movie moves along slowly, especially early on. The length of the movie meant that there was usually some length between the funny parts, which caused the movie to drag on a lot. At multiple times during the movie I wanted to stop watching (once during the slow moving first hour, and probably twice more in the 2nd hour when I just wanted the film to end), but I ended up watching it til the end. The cinematography is also somewhat amateurish (clearly on purpose), so if you have a problem with that I wouldn't advise watching this.

If you've got time to waste and are looking to watch a film that's very different from American cinema I suppose checking this movie out might be a good idea, otherwise stay far away imo.

Saw The Death of Mr. Lazarescu, a Romanian comedy/drama film. Perhaps the most genuine/realistic film of real life that I've ever seen, with many long continuous shots that really draws you into the story. A requirement for these long continuous shots to be successful is fantastic acting, and that is definitely the case in this film. The comedy in the movie is very dry and very dark, not something I normally see to often.

However, the movie is really long, at ~2.5 hours. As a result, the movie moves along slowly, especially early on. The length of the movie meant that there was usually some length between the funny parts, which caused the movie to drag on a lot. At multiple times during the movie I wanted to stop watching (once during the slow moving first hour, and probably twice more in the 2nd hour when I just wanted the film to end), but I ended up watching it til the end. The cinematography is also somewhat amateurish (clearly on purpose), so if you have a problem with that I wouldn't advise watching this.

If you've got time to waste and are looking to watch a film that's very different from American cinema I suppose checking this movie out might be a good idea, otherwise stay far away imo.
:confused: I was very disappointed in this film.

Watched Buried last night and was very impressed with the suspense that was created with a single setting and a single (visible) character. Really a good movie.

Figured I would report in on the 'indies' I've seen in theatres.

The Fighter - Another amatuer effort by David O. Russell. I really don't think he has a clue when it comes to how angles and lenses make an audience feel something. The performances, IMO, were way, way over the top, especially Melissa Leo. I'm not a Marky Mark fan so fans of his should take that into account (once again he was meh). Bale was ok but I really didn't feel bad for any character in the movie and there was zero drama in the fight sequences. To sum up my feeling on the movie I swear the last fight used the same crowd shot twice. Way overhyped.

Black Swan - I have not been a huge fan of Arnovsky's previous works. I thought Requium was overhyped and shoddy storytelling and that he quite frankly ####ed out at the end of The Wrestler (have yet to see The Fountain). So I was pleased to find a story that was incredibly in tune with Arnovsky's style. There was a claustrophobic feel to the entire picture. It was trippy and sexual and held a parallel storyline to the actual Swan Lake. Portman, Kunis and Cassel were outstanding. If you get a chance to see this one in theatres do so.

127 Hours - Not a deep movie but a well made movie. James Franco was very smooth in it. I like Boyle's style for the most part. There were some really amazing scenes and also times when it dragged (it's literally an hour and a half of a guy with his arm stuck in a wall, there will be moments that drag). Overall I enjoyed it though and if you're a Boyle fan I recommend it.

Also, for the hell of it I watched True Romance and Zodiac again the other night. Anyone who is a Tarentino fan has to see True Romance. I forgot how creepy Zodiac is I enjoyed it far more than I remembered from the first watch.

True Grit - 8/10 About what I expected. Damon was miscasted IMHO...Bridges/little girl were great.

Black Swan - 9/10 Definitely arthouse type of flick, but very well done. Acting, dialogue cinematography, overall style were superb.

The Fighter is still my favorite film of the year.

The Fighter - Another amatuer effort by David O. Russell. I really don't think he has a clue when it comes to how angles and lenses make an audience feel something. The performances, IMO, were way, way over the top, especially Melissa Leo. I'm not a Marky Mark fan so fans of his should take that into account (once again he was meh). Bale was ok but I really didn't feel bad for any character in the movie and there was zero drama in the fight sequences. To sum up my feeling on the movie I swear the last fight used the same crowd shot twice. Way overhyped.
Wow, couldn't disagree more. The only thing I would agree with is that the fight sequences were a bit underwhelming...but the performances and the compelling storyline more than overshadowed any flaws in the picture.

A Christmas Story Not just a great Christmas movie, but a great movie. Reminds us of what it was like to be a kid at Christmas. It is as close to perfect as a movie can get. Yes, it's THAT good. 4.9999999/5
Watch it every year. Classic.

Oh Fuuuuuuuudge.
Still have never watched this or It's a Wonderful Life.
I'm 46 and only saw It's a Wonderful Life for the first time last year...watched it again this year. Haven't seen Christmas Story yet although I saw a couple of minutes of it and it looks like something I might like.

Decided to check out the original True Grit and came away thinking that John Wayne wasn't a very good actor. 2/5

The new Shrek movie was the best since the first imo. 3/5

Winter's Bone was very good. So subdued. It's just a look at life in that part of the world. I was going nuts trying to figure out who the actor playing the brother was. Finally looked it up after it was over. Sol Star from Deadwood!...3.5/5

Also, for the hell of it I watched True Romance and Zodiac again the other night. Anyone who is a Tarentino fan has to see True Romance. I forgot how creepy Zodiac is I enjoyed it far more than I remembered from the first watch.
Love True Romance. Zodiac is really underrated.

Saw Tron Legacy. I wasn't expecting much, but I really liked the soundtrack and the ties to the original film. CGI Jeff Bridges was a little freaky though. 2.5/5

Can somebody explain why I should've liked The Town more than I did? Found it very meh as a movie- some good action, I guess, but the rest of it was a formulaic hodge-podge aping of other similar movies. The writing was.... not good. Good cast though. And boy does Ben Affleck like filming himself. Please- I'm still in a relatively open mind-set about this :confused: ... why did you guys like this?

The King's Speech

Very well acted movie.

Colin Firth did not overplay his impediment--which a lot of actors tend to do--and that gave his performance a naturalness, a believability.

Rush played his role subtly, but with a lot of conviction.

The two of them had a great chemistry.

The King's Speech

Very well acted movie.

Colin Firth did not overplay his impediment--which a lot of actors tend to do--and that gave his performance a naturalness, a believability.

Rush played his role subtly, but with a lot of conviction.

The two of them had a great chemistry.
Looking forward to this. Geoffrey Rush is always good. And ever since I watched A Single Man, I've been wanting to watch a lot more Colin Firth movies.

El Floppo said:
Can somebody explain why I should've liked The Town more than I did? Found it very meh as a movie- some good action, I guess, but the rest of it was a formulaic hodge-podge aping of other similar movies. The writing was.... not good. Good cast though. And boy does Ben Affleck like filming himself. Please- I'm still in a relatively open mind-set about this :unsure: ... why did you guys like this?
:goodposting:

Conan the Barbarian

What is best in life?

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women.
Would love if someone would do a Conan movie or two in the true spirit of Howard's Conan and not the Ah-nold muscle bound version.

Conan the Barbarian

What is best in life?

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women.
Would love if someone would do a Conan movie or two in the true spirit of Howard's Conan and not the Ah-nold muscle bound version.
The Oxford English Dictionary defines Awesomeness as "The first Conan movie."Can't argue with that.

Conan the Barbarian

What is best in life?

The Oxford English Dictionary defines Awesomeness as "The first Conan movie."Can't argue with that.
It's great for what it is, but it's not Howard's Conan.

El Floppo said:
Can somebody explain why I should've liked The Town more than I did? Found it very meh as a movie- some good action, I guess, but the rest of it was a formulaic hodge-podge aping of other similar movies. The writing was.... not good. Good cast though. And boy does Ben Affleck like filming himself. Please- I'm still in a relatively open mind-set about this :grad: ... why did you guys like this?
:)
Kind of difficult to refute your specific complaints. Most acknowledge it doesn't reinvent the bank-heist genre, so it's not praised for it's originality in that regard. It is praised for its script and acting performances, so if you didn't like the writing or the acting that's pretty much opinion-based. This is the first film Affleck has directed and appeared in--not really sure what the gripe is with how he filmed himself. I thought it was highly entertaining from the get-go with several highly intense scenes and sequences. There wasn't any point when I thought the story dragged. I thought the ending was unexpected and well-conceived. The characters were interesting and played off each other well.

El Floppo said:
Can somebody explain why I should've liked The Town more than I did? Found it very meh as a movie- some good action, I guess, but the rest of it was a formulaic hodge-podge aping of other similar movies. The writing was.... not good. Good cast though. And boy does Ben Affleck like filming himself. Please- I'm still in a relatively open mind-set about this :shrug: ... why did you guys like this?
:coffee:
Kind of difficult to refute your specific complaints. Most acknowledge it doesn't reinvent the bank-heist genre, so it's not praised for it's originality in that regard. It is praised for its script and acting performances, so if you didn't like the writing or the acting that's pretty much opinion-based. This is the first film Affleck has directed and appeared in--not really sure what the gripe is with how he filmed himself. I thought it was highly entertaining from the get-go with several highly intense scenes and sequences. There wasn't any point when I thought the story dragged. I thought the ending was unexpected and well-conceived. The characters were interesting and played off each other well.
ok- thanks.I agree with the action scenes being intense, and the story moving along. I thought the ending was pretty expected and ill-conceived (I was waiting for Morgan Freeman to pop out). Agree the cop/thug characters were decently written and acted.... although I don't buy the bank-manager-with-the-heart-of-gold chick at all, or the relationship. Felt like a lot of the dialogue was too contrived as a tool to push the plot... I didn't buy it, especially with the relationship. The tough guy chatter was better, although it didn't take much emotional depth to play those scenes out.

Felt like there were a lot of scenes with Affleck working out or shirtless showing off the bod- scenes that went just a bit too long. :shrug: ... enough that it seemed kinda distracting to me (although the wife minded less- go figure).

I guess, in writing this down, it was primarily the relationship that didn't work for me at all. That and the which-movie-is-this-scene-mimicking moments. Tough guys shooting at and chasing each other worked well, so for me not a complete loss. But also not a terribly memorable or interesting movie.

Gamer.

Stay away. Since the time it came out, I was curious about it. It has Gerard Butler, who we know can be a bad### in action films when applied correctly. And I enjoy playing games online. Thought it could be an interesting movie. It wasn't. Trash.

.5/5

I typically find something to like in all movies so I am not the best critic but here are some.

Easy A:

A solid movie for the coming of age/teen comedy genre. It had moments that seemed to lull but then several very funny moments. I really enjoyed the spin on all the 80's movies without it being a spoof of 80's movies. The movie takes itself a tad bit more serious than most teen movies but if you like that style of movie I think you will enjoy this. 3/5

Tourist:

I pretty much had it figured out early what was going on but it didn't take away from enjoying the movie. I really liked this one and loved the performances. I think the connection between Jolie and Depp worked very well. The story is simple and doesn't get too convoluted as a lot of international spy type movies tend to get. I highly recommend this one. 4/5

Sorcerer's Apprentice:

My son liked it and so did I. You know what you're gonna get when you watch a movie like this. I tend to watch a lot of movies like this because my son and I can both enjoy them. Several very cool scenes. 2.75/5

Black Swan:

For a movie that can move a little slow it remains intense. Not as dark and twisted as I expected which I think helps it be more appealing to the masses. Very sensual, but not over the top. Just a great movie. Portman is so frail and delicate I want to slap her at times though. 4.5/5

El Floppo said:
Can somebody explain why I should've liked The Town more than I did? Found it very meh as a movie- some good action, I guess, but the rest of it was a formulaic hodge-podge aping of other similar movies. The writing was.... not good. Good cast though. And boy does Ben Affleck like filming himself. Please- I'm still in a relatively open mind-set about this :P ... why did you guys like this?
The Town....Not sure how to start off besides saying that I had high expectations based on the trailer, cast, and Affleck's work in Gone Baby Gone, and despite that, it didnt disappoint. Something holds it back for me to consider calling it great, especially since The Departed, and even moreso Heat, are easy comparisons and better films overall, but outside of a standout lead performance, I thought The Town pretty much succeeded in every other aspect. The cinematography, tone, lighting, etc is all very similar to GBG and just as well done, and the script had good balance between action and storyline alongside good and well timed humorous dialogue. Great car chase scene around the middle of the movie, and all of the action/heist scenes were so good it got to the point where even the sound of bullets hitting metal reminded me of how well Mann pulled off the heist scenes in Heat. Although I said there was no standout lead performance, the acting all around was excellent, and Affleck did hold his own as the lead, putting in what I would easily call his best performance to date. Even watching this movie, just the sight of Affleck makes you think of his clunkers and all together bad movie choices, but if you try to forget about that and watch him here, I think most will be impressed/surprised by his performance. Renner simply steals every scene he is in in the movie, and only gets better as the movie goes on. Hamm is solid as the FBI agent and so is Affleck's love interest, but the real standout supporting performances - outside of Renner - came from Pete Postlethwaite and maybe the biggest surprise of the entire movie, Blake Lively (who looked instaboner hot this entire movie). Hamm and Affleck only share 1 scene together, and just like DeNiro and Pacino in Heat, that one scene is one of the best and most memorable outside of all the action sequences. Another scene that stood out was the only time you see Affleck visit his incarcerated father (Chris Cooper), which ends up being a taught, emotional conversation that sums up Affleck's character in the movie discreetly. The only 2 things that bothered me involved how 2 things end up panning out with each of the female characters (see spoiler below). Outside of that, I thought how the storyline progressed was done to perfection. I felt like halfway through the movie I knew where it was going, but despite that, was enjoying the ride. However, numerous things come full circle in the excellent last 30 minutes and props to Affleck and the other writers for how everything goes down and was tied together in the end. Like I said, when it comes down to it, really the only thing I can think of from truly calling it great was a standout performance by the lead actor, but Affleck by no means hinders it and the movie never really falters anywhere else with exceptional pace and editing. If there are 10 Best Picture nominations again, this is probably deserving to be 1 of the 10.....8.6/10

1) They had spent enough time laying out the only way Claire could have connected Affleck, Renner, and crew to the cops was Renner's Fighting Irish tattoo. I wouldve much preferred in some instance she ran into Renner, or Renner ran into them, and things broke down from that angle instead of Hamm going over there and telling her about Affleck

2) I cringed when they used the young, misguided, tortured girl (Lively) as the "weak spot" and giving up the crew's plans for the final heist. Although Affleck did use this cliched turn to have the cops all over Fenway by the time they were ready to leave, he made up for it by having the movie and his character end how it did and not cop out to a Heat-like ending. For that, I'll give him a break on using the girl like this

And really, those are my only 2 complaints about the movie
*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***");document.close();

Wall Street II had some moments, but Shia LeBeouf is awful (in everything, I might add) Was kinda fun to see Michael Douglas inhabiting the Gekko character 20 some odd years later...I also adore Carey Mulligan

Interstate 60

Plays much like your typical low budget direct to video road trip comedy fluff, but with a twist. Some of the star cameos will almost knock you out of your seat. Story is about Gary Oldman playing an American Leprechaun, you can tell it's him because of the stone monkey pipe he smokes out of. Weird, unique, kind of fun.

3.5/5

El Floppo said:
Can somebody explain why I should've liked The Town more than I did? Found it very meh as a movie- some good action, I guess, but the rest of it was a formulaic hodge-podge aping of other similar movies. The writing was.... not good. Good cast though. And boy does Ben Affleck like filming himself. Please- I'm still in a relatively open mind-set about this :unsure: ... why did you guys like this?
The Town....Not sure how to start off besides saying that I had high expectations based on the trailer, cast, and Affleck's work in Gone Baby Gone, and despite that, it didnt disappoint. Something holds it back for me to consider calling it great, especially since The Departed, and even moreso Heat, are easy comparisons and better films overall, but outside of a standout lead performance, I thought The Town pretty much succeeded in every other aspect. The cinematography, tone, lighting, etc is all very similar to GBG and just as well done, and the script had good balance between action and storyline alongside good and well timed humorous dialogue. Great car chase scene around the middle of the movie, and all of the action/heist scenes were so good it got to the point where even the sound of bullets hitting metal reminded me of how well Mann pulled off the heist scenes in Heat. Although I said there was no standout lead performance, the acting all around was excellent, and Affleck did hold his own as the lead, putting in what I would easily call his best performance to date. Even watching this movie, just the sight of Affleck makes you think of his clunkers and all together bad movie choices, but if you try to forget about that and watch him here, I think most will be impressed/surprised by his performance. Renner simply steals every scene he is in in the movie, and only gets better as the movie goes on. Hamm is solid as the FBI agent and so is Affleck's love interest, but the real standout supporting performances - outside of Renner - came from Pete Postlethwaite and maybe the biggest surprise of the entire movie, Blake Lively (who looked instaboner hot this entire movie). Hamm and Affleck only share 1 scene together, and just like DeNiro and Pacino in Heat, that one scene is one of the best and most memorable outside of all the action sequences. Another scene that stood out was the only time you see Affleck visit his incarcerated father (Chris Cooper), which ends up being a taught, emotional conversation that sums up Affleck's character in the movie discreetly. The only 2 things that bothered me involved how 2 things end up panning out with each of the female characters (see spoiler below). Outside of that, I thought how the storyline progressed was done to perfection. I felt like halfway through the movie I knew where it was going, but despite that, was enjoying the ride. However, numerous things come full circle in the excellent last 30 minutes and props to Affleck and the other writers for how everything goes down and was tied together in the end. Like I said, when it comes down to it, really the only thing I can think of from truly calling it great was a standout performance by the lead actor, but Affleck by no means hinders it and the movie never really falters anywhere else with exceptional pace and editing. If there are 10 Best Picture nominations again, this is probably deserving to be 1 of the 10.....8.6/10

1) They had spent enough time laying out the only way Claire could have connected Affleck, Renner, and crew to the cops was Renner's Fighting Irish tattoo. I wouldve much preferred in some instance she ran into Renner, or Renner ran into them, and things broke down from that angle instead of Hamm going over there and telling her about Affleck

2) I cringed when they used the young, misguided, tortured girl (Lively) as the "weak spot" and giving up the crew's plans for the final heist. Although Affleck did use this cliched turn to have the cops all over Fenway by the time they were ready to leave, he made up for it by having the movie and his character end how it did and not cop out to a Heat-like ending. For that, I'll give him a break on using the girl like this

And really, those are my only 2 complaints about the movie
*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***
");document.close();
Thanks Kenny, for revisiting this for me. :pickle: Good stuff there, although I obviously disagree about some of it. Yeah- Lively was almost too hot for that role. And agree that Renner was a scene-stealer. I had no complaints at all about Affleck's acting, even if it felt a bit like watching Good Will Hunting. Didn't like Postelwaite in that role... although I like him and thought he did a good job with what he had, I found him distractingly cast.

Users who are viewing this thread