What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (2 Viewers)

Nightcrawler:

3.25/5 A little on the dark side but not bad. Storyline good & acting even better. About a guy who video's car wrecks, fires, etc. & then sells to local TV in L.A. for their news.

Main character is very creepy.

All this talk about the rating system makes me wonder if we have the same group of officials who come up with educational testing systems in here.

Life Itself:

Very touching doc about the late Roger Ebert by the director of Hoop Dreams. Anybody who was a fan of his, movie criticism, or just movies in general will get something out of this. Worth it just to laugh at the behind the scenes bickering with Siskel.

The Theory of Everything:

Safe, dull movie propped up by a great performance from the lead. A.k.a. exactly what makes the Academy sport wood. 5/10.

Starting tomorrow I'm rolling with my base 3 ratings system: 1, 2, 10, 11, 12, 20, 21, 22, 100, 101.

Anything below 20 you shouldn't watch.

The Maze Runner - 7/10

I'll watch any movie about people trapped in a room under mysterious circumstances (Cube, El Motodo, Fermat's Room, Saw, The Killing Room, etc.) so I didn't care that it was based on a YA book. Glad I did since there was no romance in it and purely a 'how the #### do we get out of this' movie with a bunch of LOST-esque mysteries. Ending is not very satisfying but I liked it anyway. Worth seeing on a big screen since I think it would lose a lot watched at home.
I read the book, It's the first in a series. Everything gets explained as it goes on. I haven't seen it yet, I'll admit that I read the books after I found out they were making a movie. I thought that the plot was odd and wondered how it would transfer to the big screen. The idea is interesting and I'm glad to know it i swarth checking out.

BTW-Is this thread for all movies? I thought it was just for ones that had been released on DVD/Blu-Ray.

***ETA: not trying to police the forums, just wanted to know where to post when I do review something I've seen in the popcorn house.
received a promo code for a free redbox movie yesterday, only good for yesterday. So I picked this up as a movie I wanted to see but half expected to be bored with and if I fell asleep to it I wouldn't care too much. Enjoyed it more than I thought I would and I'm going to borrow the 2nd book from the library. 7/10 seems about right, not award-worthy but a fun watch. A few young actors we recognize who did well here, an adequate story that didn't drag out much. Lots of Hunger-Games type feel to this but still a fun watch.
I wasn't a big fun of the Maze Runner. It was a really dumb scenario. Started laughing when they left it open to make more of those garbage movies. 5/10
You do realize this was a book. Right?

Grew up on the Newsday 4-star scale. But with its' half stars it's basically a 0-9 scale.

0-10 scale seems a bit more clean. Way I go.

The Place Beyond the Pines - Solid movie. I liked the first half more than when the story turned to the kids. Yeah, it was a unique way to show the consequences of your actions but the movie fell off during it, imo. I didn't care for the actor that played Cooper's kid and I thought Gosling's kid overreacted, at least from what they showed on screen. It didn't seem like his family life was that bad and he went over the edge for a dad he never knew anything about. Still, definitely worth watching. 3/5

The Place Beyond the Pines - Solid movie. I liked the first half more than when the story turned to the kids. Yeah, it was a unique way to show the consequences of your actions but the movie fell off during it, imo. I didn't care for the actor that played Cooper's kid and I thought Gosling's kid overreacted, at least from what they showed on screen. It didn't seem like his family life was that bad and he went over the edge for a dad he never knew anything about. Still, definitely worth watching. 3/5
Yep, I watched it again recently and it is 2/3 of a great movie. I thought it lost it a bit in the 3rd act.

Gone Girl- 4/5

Good story, good twists, kept my attention throughout. Only problem, my wife was taking notes.

Couple from Netflix and going off memory for titles.

Kid Canabis- 3.5/5

Entertaining. About a kid who lives in northern US and starts smuggling week from Canada. Based on a true story.

Hunt for the Boston Bomber- 4/5

Cool look behind the scenes of everything that happened, including everything that happened at the house with the boat and when the first suspect died.

Yep, I watched it again recently and it is 2/3 of a great movie. I thought it lost it a bit in the 3rd act.
Totally agree with you guys! The last act was weaker and the AJ kid was awful.

Finally saw Boyhood. I thought it was good, but too long and really lost steam in the last 1/3. A clever idea having the same kids age through the movie. If this is the frontrunner for the Oscar, 2014 must have been a weak year for films, kind of like 2011 when The Artist won.

Finally saw Boyhood. I thought it was good, but too long and really lost steam in the last 1/3. A clever idea having the same kids age through the movie. If this is the frontrunner for the Oscar, 2014 must have been a weak year for films, kind of like 2011 when The Artist won.
Anyone else think the kid looked like a normal sized Peter Dinklage after he grew up?

Anyone else think the kid looked like a normal sized Peter Dinklage after he grew up?
There was definitely a resemblance.

Gone Girl- 4/5

Good story, good twists, kept my attention throughout. Only problem, my wife was taking notes.

Kid Canabis- 3.5/5

Entertaining. About a kid who lives in northern US and starts smuggling week from Canada. Based on a true story.

Cool look behind the scenes of everything that happened, including everything that happened at the house with the boat and when the first suspect died.
this movie ?

Totally agree with you guys! The last act was weaker and the AJ kid was awful.Finally saw Boyhood. I thought it was good, but too long and really lost steam in the last 1/3. A clever idea having the same kids age through the movie. If this is the frontrunner for the Oscar, 2014 must have been a weak year for films, kind of like 2011 when The Artist won.
From what I hear, Birdman is the frontrunner now.

Personally, I think it was a damn good year for movies. That said, Boyhood fits perfectly into the type of movie that the Academy goes for and their pick is usually far removed from the movies I gravitate to. Not sure Boyhood cracks my top 15-20 this year.

Gone Girl- 4/5

Kid Canabis- 3.5/5

this movie ?
Yep

Gone Girl- 4/5

Kid Canabis- 3.5/5

this movie ?
Yep
watching now ...just getting to the boat .....really good ...love the behind the scenes info

Totally agree with you guys! The last act was weaker and the AJ kid was awful.Finally saw Boyhood. I thought it was good, but too long and really lost steam in the last 1/3. A clever idea having the same kids age through the movie. If this is the frontrunner for the Oscar, 2014 must have been a weak year for films, kind of like 2011 when The Artist won.

Personally, I think it was a damn good year for movies. That said, Boyhood fits perfectly into the type of movie that the Academy goes for and their pick is usually far removed from the movies I gravitate to. Not sure Boyhood cracks my top 15-20 this year.
What were your favorite films in 2014?

Gone Girl- 4/5

Kid Canabis- 3.5/5

this movie ?
Yep
watching now ...just getting to the boat .....really good ...love the behind the scenes info
damn....the end got to me ...the guy talking about taking 5 steps...showing the little boy Martin Richards who died as well as the others who died...being from Boston it really hits home ...well done docu-drama

Mr. Mojo said:
KarmaPolice said:
Mr. Mojo said:
KarmaPolice said:
jamny said:

IMO this year was just a great, well rounded year. Usually I don't see a lot of action/summer blockbusters that I like, but there were several very good ones this year.

I think my top 4 of the year would be Whiplash, Inherent Vice, Nightcrawler, and Birdman.

The rest of my best of lists would be some order of these movies (I just decided to do by category):

Action/Blockbuster: Edge of Tomorrow, Capt. America 2, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, The Raid 2, Interstellar

Comedy: Bad Words

Animated/Kids: The Lego Movie, Big Hero 6, How to Train Your Dragon 2

Indie: Calvary, I Origins, The One I Love, Starred Up, Under the Skin, Locke, Frank

Other: Dead Snow 2, Gone Girl, The Babadook

There are a ton that I haven't seen yet, like: The Imitation Game, Foxcatcher, Most Violent Year, etc..

Nightcrawler:

3.25/5 A little on the dark side but not bad. Storyline good & acting even better. About a guy who video's car wrecks, fires, etc. & then sells to local TV in L.A. for their news.

Main character is very creepy.
Actually saw this yesterday. I think it's my favorite film of last year.

Mr. Mojo said:
KarmaPolice said:
Mr. Mojo said:
KarmaPolice said:
jamny said:

IMO this year was just a great, well rounded year. Usually I don't see a lot of action/summer blockbusters that I like, but there were several very good ones this year.

I think my top 4 of the year would be Whiplash, Inherent Vice, Nightcrawler, and Birdman.

The rest of my best of lists would be some order of these movies (I just decided to do by category):

Action/Blockbuster: Edge of Tomorrow, Capt. America 2, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, The Raid 2, Interstellar

Indie: Calvary, I Origins, The One I Love, Starred Up, Under the Skin, Locke, Frank

There are a ton that I haven't seen yet, like: The Imitation Game, Foxcatcher, Most Violent Year, etc..
I generally agree with the ones I have seen and there are many there I haven't seen, but including Inherent Vice as a top film damages your credibility somewhat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of all the Best Picture nominees, I'm surprised I liked Whiplash the most. I have yet to see Selma though.

It's a bad list of nominees for sure. F the academy.

Mr. Mojo said:
KarmaPolice said:
Mr. Mojo said:
KarmaPolice said:
jamny said:

I generally agree with the ones I have seen and there are many there I haven't seen, but including Inherent Vice as a top film damages your credibility somewhat.
I completely accept that Inherent Vice would be the polarizing one on the list. I admit to being a PTA and J. Phoenix fanboy. Not his best, but still 4x more well made and interesting than the by the numbers biopics the Academy rolls out every year. I don't love the stuff that Wes Anderson puts out, but I am really glad there are guys like him, PTA, Malick, etc out there making what they want to make and doing it at a very high level.

Of all the Best Picture nominees, I'm surprised I liked Whiplash the most. I have yet to see Selma though.

Yeah, it is usually quite predictable what they are going to get behind:

- family drama

- biopics get huge points, especially in the acting categories

- don't push the envelope too much

- don't bother with anything that is comedy or action

- bonus points for being about the movies or about the good old days - ie The Artist

- must have made some money, so usually no room for any smaller-indie movies

It is hard, because they are putting on a show that they want people to watch, but I don't think a lot of the general public gives two craps about the art of making movies.

What I would love to see is some "pre-game" show where there was actually honest, educated discussion about what some of the categories mean, what should have been in there, or just about anything in general that talks about the process of making movies. But who wants that when we can see who Julianne Moore is wearing this year?

Yeah, it is usually quite predictable what they are going to get behind:

- family drama

- biopics get huge points, especially in the acting categories

- don't push the envelope too much

- don't bother with anything that is comedy or action

- bonus points for being about the movies or about the good old days - ie The Artist

- must have made some money, so usually no room for any smaller-indie movies

It is hard, because they are putting on a show that they want people to watch, but I don't think a lot of the general public gives two craps about the art of making movies.

What I would love to see is some "pre-game" show where there was actually honest, educated discussion about what some of the categories mean, what should have been in there, or just about anything in general that talks about the process of making movies. But who wants that when we can see who Julianne Moore is wearing this year?
:goodposting:

exactly. I can't wait to find out what Julianne Moore is going to wear.

I really liked Whiplash. I've watched four of the best picture nominees so far, and right now I'd rank them:

1. Whiplash

2. Birdman

3. Grand Budapest Hotel

4. Boyhood

I thought Whiplash and Birdman were both great movies and intense psychological rides. I liked how both of them had open-ended endings as well - they had me thinking a lot about them long after viewing. This seems to be a trending thing in Hollywood these days and I like it, but I can see it eventually feeling played out.

I enjoyed Grand Budapest Hotel - although I believe that part of the reason why I liked it was because I had fairly low expectations going into it knowing it was made by Wes Anderson. The movie lacks depth and is quirky (as expected) but overall it is a nice story and well made.

Boyhood was decent but I felt it really dragged at times. In my opinion, the biggest problem with the movie was the "Boy", who's character just didn't resonate with me. I think the movie would have been much better if the main actor had more presence and charisma - I couldn't get myself to care about what happens to him. I guess that's the risk you take with the format that Linklater chose to work with. Ethan Hawke is amazing in this, though.

I find it hilarious that every single year there is a vocal contingent of people saying what a bad year it was for movies. Not always the same people but always the same story.

ETA: It's as predictable as people who say how Hollywood is raping their childhoods by remaking films they remember fondly.

Since it kept showing up on my "Recommended for you" list on Netflix I decided to watch Devil's Knot last night..

Since Netflix's description was "The savage murders of three young children sparks a controversial trial of three teenagers accused of killing the kids as part of a satanic ritual."

I had no idea this was "based on a true story" and that it was based on:

"The West Memphis Three" <<<<< Don't click that link if you want to watch without knowing the back story.. :mellow:

The movie itself felt disjointed at times and many holes were left.. But based on the actual events it seems that is to be expected..

3 out of 5..

Since it kept showing up on my "Recommended for you" list on Netflix I decided to watch Devil's Knot last night..

Since Netflix's description was "The savage murders of three young children sparks a controversial trial of three teenagers accused of killing the kids as part of a satanic ritual."

"The West Memphis Three" <<<<< Don't click that link if you want to watch without knowing the back story.. :mellow:

The movie itself felt disjointed at times and many holes were left.. But based on the actual events it seems that is to be expected..

3 out of 5..
the doc was pretty great... I guess I shouldn't be surprised somebody tried to make money off of it with a non-doc.

I find it hilarious that every single year there is a vocal contingent of people saying what a bad year it was for movies. Not always the same people but always the same story.

ETA: It's as predictable as people who say how Hollywood is raping their childhoods by remaking films they remember fondly.
I think that every year has it's share of good and bad films. But some years seem to have more (or less) excellent ones than typical. It's just the luck of the draw.

Edge of Tomorrow

Really tired of Tom Cruise, so I thought I wouldn't like this movie. I liked it alot though, a lot of fun and kept me engaged the whole time. They do get a little rushed/sloppy in the third act, I think they just didn't know how to end it.

Edge of Tomorrow

Really tired of Tom Cruise, so I thought I wouldn't like this movie. I liked it alot though, a lot of fun and kept me engaged the whole time. They do get a little rushed/sloppy in the third act, I think they just didn't know how to end it.
The bane of nearly every time travel & zombie movie.

3 out of 5..
the doc was pretty great... I guess I shouldn't be surprised somebody tried to make money off of it with a non-doc.
Am I the only one that still thinks the Memphis 3 - are guilty?

3 out of 5..
yes

3 out of 5..
Not the only one but the three docs sure make compelling arguments for why they are not guilty.

3 out of 5..
Don't want to spoil it for others in case they want to go in not knowing things..

I was flabbergasted when in the movie they completely ignored the black man and the blood at the fast food joint and later finding out the evidence was never sent in :loco: and they never did find the person that came in with all the blood..

3 out of 5..
Not the only one but the three docs sure make compelling arguments for why they are not guilty.
I've watched them all and still think they are guilty. John Mark Byers was made to look guilty but I think he's just an attention seeker.

http://wm3truth.com/the-west-memphis-three-were-guilty/

I think that every year has it's share of good and bad films. But some years seem to have more (or less) excellent ones than typical. It's just the luck of the draw.
It was a fine year for best picture films. Birdman, Whiplash, American Sniper and Boyhood were all excellent films for different reasons and are completely worthy of being nominated for best film (even if Boyhood wasn't my fare I recognize what a fascinating, and well crafted, project it was). Those are four very deserving films (and Whiplash does not really fit KP's list of typical Oscar noms).

Agree that both Selma, Imitation Game and Theory of Everything fall into more of the paint by numbers category of films. But that doesn't mean they weren't entertaining and well made films. There is nothing wrong with safe, most of the out of the box, envelope pushing films are pretty crappy.

I understand the PTA is very hit-or-miss for most people but I personally really enjoyed The Grand Budapest Hotel, thought it was his best work since The Royal Tennenbaums and have no problem with the nomination.

My favorite of the noms was Birdman, it's rare that I see a film that is nothing like anything I have really seen before, even more rare when it is also an excellent film to boot.

3 out of 5..
Am I the only one not too concerned that they are still in jail?
:no:

Judge David Laser accepted the pleas and sentenced the three to time served. They were released with ten-year suspended sentences, having served 18 years and 78 days in prison.[6]

Users who are viewing this thread