What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (2 Viewers)

Since it kept showing up on my "Recommended for you" list on Netflix I decided to watch Devil's Knot last night..

Since Netflix's description was "The savage murders of three young children sparks a controversial trial of three teenagers accused of killing the kids as part of a satanic ritual."

I had no idea this was "based on a true story" and that it was based on:

"The West Memphis Three" <<<<< Don't click that link if you want to watch without knowing the back story.. :mellow:

The movie itself felt disjointed at times and many holes were left.. But based on the actual events it seems that is to be expected..

3 out of 5..
the doc was pretty great... I guess I shouldn't be surprised somebody tried to make money off of it with a non-doc.
Am I the only one that still thinks the Memphis 3 - are guilty?
Am I the only one not too concerned that they are still in jail?
No they're not.

Of all the Best Picture nominees, I'm surprised I liked Whiplash the most. I have yet to see Selma though.

It's a bad list of nominees for sure. F the academy.
I've watched them all. Theory of Everything and Imitation Game were the best. American Sniper close after that. Then the rest.

Didn't care for Selma. Run of the mill civil rights movie, doesn't break any ground. We've seen it before. On top of that their portrayal of Lyndon Johnson was awful.

I find it hilarious that every single year there is a vocal contingent of people saying what a bad year it was for movies. Not always the same people but always the same story.

ETA: It's as predictable as people who say how Hollywood is raping their childhoods by remaking films they remember fondly.
I think that every year has it's share of good and bad films. But some years seem to have more (or less) excellent ones than typical. It's just the luck of the draw.
It was a fine year for best picture films. Birdman, Whiplash, American Sniper and Boyhood were all excellent films for different reasons and are completely worthy of being nominated for best film (even if Boyhood wasn't my fare I recognize what a fascinating, and well crafted, project it was). Those are four very deserving films (and Whiplash does not really fit KP's list of typical Oscar noms).

Agree that both Selma, Imitation Game and Theory of Everything fall into more of the paint by numbers category of films. But that doesn't mean they weren't entertaining and well made films. There is nothing wrong with safe, most of the out of the box, envelope pushing films are pretty crappy.

I understand the PTA is very hit-or-miss for most people but I personally really enjoyed The Grand Budapest Hotel, thought it was his best work since The Royal Tennenbaums and have no problem with the nomination.

My favorite of the noms was Birdman, it's rare that I see a film that is nothing like anything I have really seen before, even more rare when it is also an excellent film to boot.
I haven't seen Birdman, Whiplash or American Sniper. I really liked Grand Budapest Hotel. I thought that Boyhood was good but nothing special.

Am I the only one not too concerned that they are still in jail?
No they're not.
I knew that, maybe I was just hoping they were re-arrested for something.
why? They didnt kill anyone ....did you actually watch any of the 3 documentaries? I think it was the step father...he even admitted it to a relative while drinking one night (supposably)
I don't buy it - still think these guys did it.

Edge Of Tomorrow

Third time watching this movie, and I don't think I will ever get tired of this one.
Really good. But can someone explain the ending to me?

Cage blows up the Omega and himself, but the blood goes into his body again and that resets the day - except the humans have already won. Does that mean the omega died before Cage did? If so, then every time Cage dies he wakes up on the helicopter as the winner?
I can't explain the ending very well, except I would add a comment:

I think the movie would have been far more poignant had both lead characters died saving the human race. I know that's not a feel-good conclusion. But it would have been pretty dramatic.

Nightcrawler:

3.25/5 A little on the dark side but not bad. Storyline good & acting even better. About a guy who video's car wrecks, fires, etc. & then sells to local TV in L.A. for their news.

Main character is very creepy.
I've decided I love this movie. Pretty much unlike anything I've ever seen before.

Fruitvale Station - I didn't have high hopes for this one, I was expecting either an overdramatized (Hollywoodized) depiction of the events (e.g. Imitation Game, Selma, Theory of Everything) or a liberal fluff piece painting Grant as a saint victimized by the man. It was neither. While the director did take some artistic license (the dog most notably was a complete fabrication, and he was a little too definitive in how the fight on the train started) he did a good job of presenting Grant as a human being, a flawed one, but one that can be related to by the audience. Knowing how it ends did not sap any of the power or tragedy from the moment.

Good film, worth watching.

I find it hilarious that every single year there is a vocal contingent of people saying what a bad year it was for movies. Not always the same people but always the same story.

ETA: It's as predictable as people who say how Hollywood is raping their childhoods by remaking films they remember fondly.
I think that every year has it's share of good and bad films. But some years seem to have more (or less) excellent ones than typical. It's just the luck of the draw.
It was a fine year for best picture films. Birdman, Whiplash, American Sniper and Boyhood were all excellent films for different reasons and are completely worthy of being nominated for best film (even if Boyhood wasn't my fare I recognize what a fascinating, and well crafted, project it was). Those are four very deserving films (and Whiplash does not really fit KP's list of typical Oscar noms).

Agree that both Selma, Imitation Game and Theory of Everything fall into more of the paint by numbers category of films. But that doesn't mean they weren't entertaining and well made films. There is nothing wrong with safe, most of the out of the box, envelope pushing films are pretty crappy.

I understand the PTA is very hit-or-miss for most people but I personally really enjoyed The Grand Budapest Hotel, thought it was his best work since The Royal Tennenbaums and have no problem with the nomination.

My favorite of the noms was Birdman, it's rare that I see a film that is nothing like anything I have really seen before, even more rare when it is also an excellent film to boot.
I haven't seen Birdman, Whiplash or American Sniper. I really liked Grand Budapest Hotel. I thought that Boyhood was good but nothing special.
Boyhood was special for how it was made more than the story it told. But how it was made does deserve serious recognition.

Edge Of Tomorrow

Third time watching this movie, and I don't think I will ever get tired of this one.
Really good. But can someone explain the ending to me?

Cage blows up the Omega and himself, but the blood goes into his body again and that resets the day - except the humans have already won. Does that mean the omega died before Cage did? If so, then every time Cage dies he wakes up on the helicopter as the winner?
I can't explain the ending very well, except I would add a comment:

I think the movie would have been far more poignant had both lead characters died saving the human race. I know that's not a feel-good conclusion. But it would have been pretty dramatic.
I was hoping that would happen as it would have made far more sense, but I knew for an absolute certainty that it would never happen in a Tom Cruise big-budget summer extravaganza.

Chaka said:
Fruitvale Station - I didn't have high hopes for this one, I was expecting either an overdramatized (Hollywoodized) depiction of the events (e.g. Imitation Game, Selma, Theory of Everything) or a liberal fluff piece painting Grant as a saint victimized by the man. It was neither. While the director did take some artistic license (the dog most notably was a complete fabrication, and he was a little too definitive in how the fight on the train started) he did a good job of presenting Grant as a human being, a flawed one, but one that can be related to by the audience. Knowing how it ends did not sap any of the power or tragedy from the moment.

Good film, worth watching.
Agreed excellent movie and was surprised he did not get an Oscar nod.

And I knew what was going to happen, but it still was a major gut punch

so whats the prefered rating system... 5 stars or 10 ?
I like 5. Makes more sense than 4 and 10 is too much, imo. No need to get so crazy.
So, what is the difference between your 2.5/5 and my 5/10? :oldunsure:
2.5 is fairly good. 4/10 is bad.

1 poor

2 fair

3 good

4 very good

5 excellent

I like using the 5 point scale carried to 2 decimal points.
5.5 is totally excellent

so whats the prefered rating system... 5 stars or 10 ?
I like 5. Makes more sense than 4 and 10 is too much, imo. No need to get so crazy.
So, what is the difference between your 2.5/5 and my 5/10? :oldunsure:
2.5 is fairly good. 4/10 is bad.

1 poor

2 fair

3 good

4 very good

5 excellent

I like using the 5 point scale carried to 2 decimal points.
5.5 is totally excellent
yeah- this one goes to 5.5

I Origins

Someone here recommended this I think. Really liked the movie. Not sure what I was expecting, but it is a very creative story. 4/5

we almost rented Nightcrawler, but the preview for it just looked idiotic.

from the praise in here, the movie is different and better than the preview- right?

from the praise in here, the movie is different and better than the preview- right?
i dont watch previews, but i think most of the frequent posters here will like this movie. Amazing performance byJake that is worth the watch in itself.

Just saw all the Oscar Nominated short films animated.

My favorites were "A Single Life" and "Me and my Moulton". Great stories, wonderful animation and good humor. The three others "Feast" (was shown before Big Hero 6), was cute, but just there. Then "The Bigger Picture" had interesting animation (combination of painting and stop motion animation) but the story was blah and the final story "The Dam Keeper" was dark and mean spirited.

They also showed 3 other shorts. If you get a chance, check out "Bus Story". It was hilarious. On her first trip taking the kids to school, the first kid getting on the bus blurts out, "My dad bought my mom a G-string". The whole theater :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

It was something Ralph Wiggum would say.

Nymphomaniac: Volume 1 - I knew nothing about the movie going in but Robin mentioned it on the Howard Stern show so I gave it a shot. I was kinda surprised to see Christian Slater, Uma Thurman and Shia LaBouf were in it. I didn't notice their names in the opening credits. Starts out with an old man finding a woman beaten and bloody in an alley, he takes her home and she, for some reason, goes into telling him the story of her life. From a confused child to a promiscuous teen to an all out whore, she struggles to find meaning behind her compulsions. It's all told in a dream-like quality where everyone seems to be in a drug-induced haze. Complete lack of emotion from everyone involved, except Uma who is actually really good in her short role. Obviously not for kids and probably not for many other people either. I think some parents with daughters would have a hard time sitting through it. Lots of softcore and some hardcore erotic scenes. The older version of Joe (the woman telling the story) isn't really hot but the young version is. After watching, I looked into the director, Lars von Trier. The only other film of his that I've seen was Melancholia, and I did like it. It had the same dreamy/druggie vibe to it. On the Homer scale it's a :homer: :homer: :homer: :homer: /5 As a movie, I'll say 2/5.

Nymphomaniac: Volume 2 - Yes, I watched Part 2 the next day. Completely different movie. Joe descends into serious bondage, humiliation and S&M. Even more disturbing than the first one. Some scenes were hard to watch. Short part for Willem Dafoe in this one and LaBouf again, although a different actor plays his character later one which was weird. It picks up right where the first one left off but this one doesn't have that drugged out haze feel to it. It's more of a straight forward revenge flick. I was wondering why they couldn't put makeup on the younger Joe to play the older part, was a bit disappointed when the transition was made in the storyline, but it was probably the right call. I don't think the younger actress could have pulled off what the other one did in this film. As depraved a part as it is, she actually was good in the role. Note sure how I feel about the last 15 minutes or so but it wasn't good enough to look deeper into it. This one only gets :homer: :homer: / 5 and a 1.5/5 from me.

Neither are really worth watching but I've seen worse.

The Life of David Gale - Premise may have been interesting but it was poorly executed on a lot of levels IMO. And it had pretty much the most predictable twist I have ever seen in a film.

Rhona Mitra is hot though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hard Candy - Oh my! It has some issues with the plausibility of character decision making and reactions and it leaves some questions about the Hows and Whys but I gotta say overall I really enjoyed this film. It is seriously cringe worthy at times but thankfully not graphic or gratuitous.

Worth watching.

Hard Candy - Oh my! It has some issues with the plausibility of character decision making and reactions and it leaves some questions about the Hows and Whys but I gotta say overall I really enjoyed this film. It is seriously cringe worthy at times but thankfully not graphic or gratuitous.

Worth watching.
Big fan.

Chaka said:

Worth watching.
Teeth is a great double feature with Hard Candy.

Chaka said:

Worth watching.
ive seen this ...pretty good

I'd describe it as a black comedy about modern society's sociopathic obsession with fame.

Highly recommended.

Chaka said:

Worth watching.
Cool movie. Love these movies that start with a very interesting premise and then hold true to that premise throughout the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread