What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (7 Viewers)

Edge Of Tomorrow

Third time watching this movie, and I don't think I will ever get tired of this one.
Really good. But can someone explain the ending to me?

Cage blows up the Omega and himself, but the blood goes into his body again and that resets the day - except the humans have already won. Does that mean the omega died before Cage did? If so, then every time Cage dies he wakes up on the helicopter as the winner?

Edge Of Tomorrow

Third time watching this movie, and I don't think I will ever get tired of this one.
Cage blows up the Omega and himself, but the blood goes into his body again and that resets the day - except the humans have already won. Does that mean the omega died before Cage did? If so, then every time Cage dies he wakes up on the helicopter as the winner?
No one can. Just pretend the last five minutes didn't happen and enjoy

Edge Of Tomorrow

I thought that was confusing as well. It felt more like a feel good Hollywood throw in more than a well considered plot point. My guess is that Cruise became the Omega in the same way he became the Alpha. I am sure the filmmakers believe there is something heavy and thought provoking about the whole Alpha to Omega thing but for me it was just lazy story telling and I think it would have been better storytelling if they just stayed dead (but more entertaining with the happy ending if that makes sense).
Either way I agree with jdogg, fun film that I have no problem watching multiple times.

Automata - 6/10

Not horrible...the set design was pretty good and practical effects were a welcome sight (CGI sucks). But ultimately it was a rehash of sci-fi ideas you've seen many times before and it never builds to anything meaningful. Think I, Robot meets Children of Men.

You can add in a dash of Nightmare on Elm Street because Melanie Griffith looks like Freddy Krueger. And she delivers one of THE WORST performances I've ever seen.

Edge Of Tomorrow

I thought that was confusing as well. It felt more like a feel good Hollywood throw in more than a well considered plot point. My guess is that Cruise became the Omega in the same way he became the Alpha. I am sure the filmmakers believe there is something heavy and thought provoking about the whole Alpha to Omega thing but for me it was just lazy story telling and I think it would have been better storytelling if they just stayed dead (but more entertaining with the happy ending if that makes sense).
Either way I agree with jdogg, fun film that I have no problem watching multiple times.

I posted it earlier, but the biggest problem in this movie comes after he learns the true location of the Omega. At that point, the only logical thing for him to do is kill himself (especially given the fact that they were now being chased) and restart the day fresh with that knowledge. It's the worst hole in the movie.
That said, I loved the parallels to how one goes about playing a video game.

Edge Of Tomorrow

When he kills the Omega and its blood mixes with his he becomes the Omega. What most people I think are missing is that for the Omega to have the power it has it exists in and out of the normal timeline. Meaning that it has three different points of existence. It exists first at the past reboot period. When something goes wrong and time gets reset the Omega is there, so it exists in the past. It exists in the present obviously as well since it is there for them to kill. But it also has a third point between the two.

If also exists after the past fallback point at the point of the battle where he kills the Alpha. So you have past safety spot ----- battle ------ present.

When he kills the Alpha the Omega is controlled by the alpha time power and everything sets back to the alpha death point with all memories of what happened from the previous time. So they learn over and over. When he kills the Omega he goes back the same way but not to the Alpha death point because he didn't kill an alpha. He goes back to the fallbackpoint before the battle ever starts - the point that was safe for the Omega to have a fallback because up to that point everything had happened the way the Omega wanted. When the Omega dies Cage becomes the Omega and there can only be one. There is no more Alpha death point and the Omega can't exist in the president because Cage is the Omega. So it goes back to the safe point - which also happens to the be the last point where Cage actually sleeps on his own - in the helicopter. It appears that all the loopback points for humans are at sleep points (remember the check told him to find her when he wakes up - so she would wake up as well at every reboot point).

So with that the helicopter is the last time he actually slept that wasn't a boot point or forced through being attacked (he was knocked out by a stun gun when he was arrested). He is the Omega now so there is no other Omega. And since he is the Omega the mimics can't fight at the timeline, so they are dying as he gets off the helicopter. And he remembers everything because he is the Omega.

Edge Of Tomorrow

I posted it earlier, but the biggest problem in this movie comes after he learns the true location of the Omega. At that point, the only logical thing for him to do is kill himself (especially given the fact that they were now being chased) and restart the day fresh with that knowledge. It's the worst hole in the movie.

He had lost the power though. When they found out it was in France he already had the blood transfusion, so he couldn't reboot back.
Or am I missing something?

Still Alice - A renowned linguistics professor struggles with early-onset Alzheimer's. I wasn't anticipating this one, but I'm glad I watched it because it is very good. Moore is great in this and totally deserves the Oscar.

Frank - through sheer luck, an aspiring musician gets the opportunity to join a local band whose lead singer wears a fake, plastic head. This had moments, but I didn't think it was that good. it's available on Netflix btw

Last edited by a moderator:
Drifter said:
Chaka said:
EYLive said:
Edge Of Tomorrow

They established that he was always pretty reluctant to reset the day himself while Blunt was all too eager to reset it for him. During that scene they were careening through a parking structure, she was driving, the car got smashed and they were both knocked unconscious. It happened pretty quickly, I'm not sure when either of them really had the opportunity to reset the day.
Doesn't seem like a very big plot hole to me.

Yankee23Fan said:
Drifter said:
Chaka said:
EYLive said:
Edge Of Tomorrow

He had lost the power though. When they found out it was in France he already had the blood transfusion, so he couldn't reboot back.
Or am I missing something?

No - he had not lost it yet.

Drifter said:
Chaka said:
EYLive said:
Edge Of Tomorrow

They established that he was always pretty reluctant to reset the day himself while Blunt was all too eager to reset it for him. During that scene they were careening through a parking structure, she was driving, the car got smashed and they were both knocked unconscious. It happened pretty quickly, I'm not sure when either of them really had the opportunity to reset the day.
Doesn't seem like a very big plot hole to me.

His reluctance was more early on. Later on, he was much more open to it. It's also was the only logical thing to do at this point. You are in danger of being captured, you've been killed hundreds, if not thousands of times at this point so any resistance is pretty much gone. It should have been almost instinctual to pull out a gun and shoot yourself in the head

Yankee23Fan said:
EYLive said:
Edge Of Tomorrow

When he kills the Omega and its blood mixes with his he becomes the Omega. What most people I think are missing is that for the Omega to have the power it has it exists in and out of the normal timeline. Meaning that it has three different points of existence. It exists first at the past reboot period. When something goes wrong and time gets reset the Omega is there, so it exists in the past. It exists in the present obviously as well since it is there for them to kill. But it also has a third point between the two.

If also exists after the past fallback point at the point of the battle where he kills the Alpha. So you have past safety spot ----- battle ------ present.

When he kills the Alpha the Omega is controlled by the alpha time power and everything sets back to the alpha death point with all memories of what happened from the previous time. So they learn over and over. When he kills the Omega he goes back the same way but not to the Alpha death point because he didn't kill an alpha. He goes back to the fallbackpoint before the battle ever starts - the point that was safe for the Omega to have a fallback because up to that point everything had happened the way the Omega wanted. When the Omega dies Cage becomes the Omega and there can only be one. There is no more Alpha death point and the Omega can't exist in the president because Cage is the Omega. So it goes back to the safe point - which also happens to the be the last point where Cage actually sleeps on his own - in the helicopter. It appears that all the loopback points for humans are at sleep points (remember the check told him to find her when he wakes up - so she would wake up as well at every reboot point).

So with that the helicopter is the last time he actually slept that wasn't a boot point or forced through being attacked (he was knocked out by a stun gun when he was arrested). He is the Omega now so there is no other Omega. And since he is the Omega the mimics can't fight at the timeline, so they are dying as he gets off the helicopter. And he remembers everything because he is the Omega.
That would make sense.

This also sets up the possibility of a sequel. If Cage becomes an evil world leader with the use of his omega power, Emily Blunt leads another group of soldiers to try to kill him over and over again. :popcorn:

John Wick: 90 minute gun fight. That's it. It's shot very dark, all the action is at night or in dark nightclubs, hard to see sometimes. Make sure to watch it in a good theater or it'll just be muddy.
Got a free netflix rental code that had to be used yesterday, chose Wick over Fury because it was 30 minutes shorter.

Like most people have written, it was a fun watch though not exactly a masterpiece in writing.

Kill a man's dog and this is bound to happen.

The switch / upgrade was funny in a symbolic way

Chaka said:
EYLive said:
Edge Of Tomorrow

you see the Irony here right?

The one I love 3/5

- quirky indie romantic comedy. Got creepy at times but was pretty good. Fell asleep with ten minutes left (not the movie's fault as it was really late) so gotta re-watch.

Special Forces

While covering the war in Afghanistan, journalist Elsa is kidnapped by the Taliban, and a Special Forces team races against time to rescue her.

Really good movie that reminded me of Lone Survivor...only it came out 2 years sooner.

I think Mila Kunis can be an action hero star...Just not in Jupiter Ascending

That was awful...Visually stunning, however the plot was an unholy mess.

Got really tired of Kunis whispering and I kept cracking up at Tatum's shoes

I did like the crew of the Aegis. A motley bunch

Fury - Nicht gut

Wife fell asleep watching, that freakin apartment scene was ridiculously long, but I stuck it out a little longer. Turned it off to watch the Rangers game on my dvr. Not sure if I'll finish it. Maybe half hour left. Some cool battle scenes, some real visions of the horrors of war. Like the tank just mushing that dead body into the mud. But the acting was pretty bad all around. Not a good role for Pitt. Very cheesy dialogue. Unless they were trying to be like some old 60's WWII movies. In that case, maybe it is good.

FUBAR said:
John Wick: 90 minute gun fight. That's it. It's shot very dark, all the action is at night or in dark nightclubs, hard to see sometimes. Make sure to watch it in a good theater or it'll just be muddy.
Got a free netflix rental code that had to be used yesterday, chose Wick over Fury because it was 30 minutes shorter.

Like most people have written, it was a fun watch though not exactly a masterpiece in writing.

I cannot watch movies with a bunch of darkly (mostly unlit) scenes because I simply cannot ####### see the movie. Only 2nd to the newly popular whispered, mumble dialog that goes on long enough for me to have to push the TV volume somewhere around "50" ...just in time for the director/editor to decide the scene now needs to be complimented by a large noise/background music equal to a Blue Angels flyover.

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day--this was a really good movie, Watched it with my wife and two daughters--10 and 15 and everyone loved it. My girls usually want 50 deaths in a movie and to find them laughing throughout this one, was great.

Calvary

A bit of a slow burn but this one is right up there with the best movies I have seen in a while. Very moody and thought provoking.

4/5
Probably my favorite movie of the year.
I just put it on my Netflix list based upon the recommendations here.
The Guard was one of the better movies of 2011-12.

Director and Gleeson teamed up for Calvary as well. It was decent. But I was disappointed given their previous effort.

I am trying to watch all 8 Best Picture nominations before the Oscars.

I am 11 minutes into "The Grand Budapest Hotel" and I realize there is still 82 minutes of this movie.

I am not sure i can make it through the next 82 seconds, much less 82 minutes of this movie

Yes, I really dislike Wes Anderson's movies

I am trying to watch all 8 Best Picture nominations before the Oscars.

I am 11 minutes into "The Grand Budapest Hotel" and I realize there is still 82 minutes of this movie.

I am not sure i can make it through the next 82 seconds, much less 82 minutes of this movie

Yes, I really dislike Wes Anderson's movies
I like some of his movies but not that one.

FUBAR said:

I cannot watch movies with a bunch of darkly (mostly unlit) scenes because I simply cannot ####### see the movie. Only 2nd to the newly popular whispered, mumble dialog that goes on long enough for me to have to push the TV volume somewhere around "50" ...just in time for the director/editor to decide the scene now needs to be complimented by a large noise/background music equal to a Blue Angels flyover.
Preach.

FUBAR said:

The worst one i have seen recently was Godzilla. It was lit fine in the theater, but when I tried to watch it at home. I could not get the brightness up high enough to see anything

BustedKnuckles said:
Edge Of Tomorrow

you see the Irony here right?

He learns a little bit and makes it further each time.

The Maze Runner - 7/10

I'll watch any movie about people trapped in a room under mysterious circumstances (Cube, El Motodo, Fermat's Room, Saw, The Killing Room, etc.) so I didn't care that it was based on a YA book. Glad I did since there was no romance in it and purely a 'how the #### do we get out of this' movie with a bunch of LOST-esque mysteries. Ending is not very satisfying but I liked it anyway. Worth seeing on a big screen since I think it would lose a lot watched at home.
I read the book, It's the first in a series. Everything gets explained as it goes on. I haven't seen it yet, I'll admit that I read the books after I found out they were making a movie. I thought that the plot was odd and wondered how it would transfer to the big screen. The idea is interesting and I'm glad to know it i swarth checking out.

BTW-Is this thread for all movies? I thought it was just for ones that had been released on DVD/Blu-Ray.

***ETA: not trying to police the forums, just wanted to know where to post when I do review something I've seen in the popcorn house.
received a promo code for a free redbox movie yesterday, only good for yesterday. So I picked this up as a movie I wanted to see but half expected to be bored with and if I fell asleep to it I wouldn't care too much. Enjoyed it more than I thought I would and I'm going to borrow the 2nd book from the library. 7/10 seems about right, not award-worthy but a fun watch. A few young actors we recognize who did well here, an adequate story that didn't drag out much. Lots of Hunger-Games type feel to this but still a fun watch.
I wasn't a big fun of the Maze Runner. It was a really dumb scenario. Started laughing when they left it open to make more of those garbage movies. 5/10

Watched the Drop earlier. It takes a while for the story to build up. Not a lot of action, but the ending was well done I thought. 7/10, worth watching.

Watched Girl, Interrupted tonight. I had never seen it and thought it was going to be more of a thriller, like Single White Female. It wasn't. Not saying it was terrible. Kept our interest enough to make it to the end. If you haven't seen it in a while you might not remember that Elizabeth Moss (Peggy from Mad Men) plays the girl with the burned face. And Brittany Murphy is in the movie. Sad story. But Angelina is so hot in it. Skanky hot. And I'm biased, but a great performance. Not what I expected but not horrible. 2.5/5

Watched "A Good Marriage" yesterday.. Sometimes I wish they wouldn't put who wrote the story as being used to movies like Cujo, Christine, The Shinning,, The Stand, etc.. from Stephen King I kept expecting a "twist" that never happened :kicksrock:

Still a decent "What would you do if it was you" type of movie.. 3.5 out of 5

Also watched "Twisted" With Ashely Judd, Samuel L. Jackson and Andy Garcia I was expecting more but still worth a watch.. 3 out of 5..

Users who are viewing this thread