What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (3 Viewers)

The Fault in Our Stars:

Exactly how I thought it was going to be, which is a good thing. Right along with Perks of Being a Wallflower and Spectacular Now as far movies aimed for that demographic that deals with tough issues fairly well. I will fully admit, I cried. Thinking about what I would do if my son was in similar situations. 7/10

That said, not exactly sure what I am looking for, but are there any movies about teens that don't suffer from Juno syndrome where all the kids are well read and constantly dropping witty one-liners?
Clueless. I think the whole plot of Clueless was how not well-read their main characters were. Verbal and sometimes witty, yes. Well-read, no.

I think that's a recent development. Often, teen movies and their protagonists were not particularly well-read. That's become very much an aughts and beyond thing, IMO.

eta* Debating watching the documentary about the MOVE thing in Philly due to your review and then checking it out. So if anybody wonders whether people read these reviews and then considers them accordingly, that's a yes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just watched Spartan on HBO, a David Mamet flick from 2004 with Val Kilmer. Pretty solid little action thriller I had never even heard of before. Pleasant surprise.

The Fault in Our Stars:

Exactly how I thought it was going to be, which is a good thing. Right along with Perks of Being a Wallflower and Spectacular Now as far movies aimed for that demographic that deals with tough issues fairly well. I will fully admit, I cried. Thinking about what I would do if my son was in similar situations. 7/10

That said, not exactly sure what I am looking for, but are there any movies about teens that don't suffer from Juno syndrome where all the kids are well read and constantly dropping witty one-liners?
Clueless. I think the whole plot of Clueless was how not well-read their main characters were. Verbal and sometimes witty, yes. Well-read, no.

I think that's a recent development. Often, teen movies and their protagonists were not particularly well-read. That's become very much an aughts and beyond thing, IMO.

eta* Debating watching the documentary about the MOVE thing in Philly due to your review and then checking it out. So if anybody wonders whether people read these reviews and then considers them accordingly, that's a yes.
I think so too. Maybe "well read" isn't the correct descriptor. Just seems like the trend in the recent movies is all the teens are super cool, watch all the cool old movies, have great comebacks, etc.. I am starting to miss the Anthony Micheal Hall days.

Glad to read the last part of the post. I don't say it enough in here how much I appreciate this thread and come here for other's thoughts and suggestions. Even if it's to see what Andy liked recently so I know what to stay away from. ;)

Divergent:

:yawn:

Felt like half the movie was just an info dump about what the factions are and why they think they are better than others. All the dialogue seemed to revolve around that at the beginning as well. I love Woodley as the average girl that is easy to see why people would fall for her in the dramas she's been in, but didn't like her in this one. Long story short, it just felt like a lesser knock off of The Hunger Games. 4/10.

The Master

Extremely well acted, even the lesser roles were well done. Story was interesting but it definitely dragged. For the performances alone I would recommend, not an enthusiastic recommend though do to the slowness.

Divergent:

Felt like half the movie was just an info dump about what the factions are and why they think they are better than others. All the dialogue seemed to revolve around that at the beginning as well. I love Woodley as the average girl that is easy to see why people would fall for her in the dramas she's been in, but didn't like her in this one. Long story short, it just felt like a lesser knock off of The Hunger Games. 4/10.
Agreed on that she is the average girl, But I can not see her as a fighter, Too Willowy.

Kraft... said:
The Master

Extremely well acted, even the lesser roles were well done. Story was interesting but it definitely dragged. For the performances alone I would recommend, not an enthusiastic recommend though do to the slowness.
A weird movie - which you'd expect from PT Anderson. I thought it was worth seeing just for the scenes between Hoffman and Phoenix.

Kraft... said:
The Master

A weird movie - which you'd expect from PT Anderson. I thought it was worth seeing just for the scenes between Hoffman and Phoenix.
Yep, an odd, meandering movie. Worth seeing because I think it had two of the best acting performances that year. I think Phoenix should have won the Oscar.

Jersey Boys

Caught this at the dollar movies today.

I'm not a fan of the nasal, alto falsetto Frankie Valli is famous for, so that was a bit of a hindrance.

More of a hindrance was that the leads were all pretty much unlikable. The songwriter was good, but Frankie, Tony and the bass palyer all sucked. The bassist was particularly miscast, bringing neither the singing nor acting chops that could have propelled the character into something special. Tony was just despicable and Frankie was frankly not nearly of the stature of the star he portrayed. Further, most all the women were unattractive and/or unappealing. None were deveoped as characters and I did not like what little of them I knew.

Seeing Walken 's quivering jaw and weepy sentimentalism while Valli sang My Mother's Eyes was one of the most remarkable career plummets since Gary Coleman ended up working at a hamburger joint.

Director Eastwood couldn't keep it an entertainment-driven movie and his veers into the emotional and tragic aspects were as clumsy and ham-fisted, never zeroing in on an overall tone- just inserting those ill-fitting elements, as if checking off an ingredient list.

Really a mess, which may have been salvaged if one really liked the music or the characters. I didn't.,

2.25/5 stars

maybe you can add a star if you like the musc

The Rover

A sort of modern western/post-apocalyptic/road flick that's really good; albeit a slow/dark/indie film if those are issues for you. Some really great acting performances in this from Guy Pearce and especially Robert Pattinson, that guy from Twilight. Surprised to say that guy is a very good actor. Wasn't at all sold on him at the start, but by the end of the film I was beyond sold. If this performance is at all a sign of things to come he's going to make a very good career for himself. Another note, the film is directed by the guy who did Animal Kingdom a few years ago. That's 2 films and 2 knockouts on my scorecard for the director.

My only real issue:

The ending was a letdown. Imo the film should have ended after Robert Pattinson died and with the scene where Guy Pearce breaking down crying for what is likely the first time the character did so in 10 years. Should have at least mentioned the dog in passing a time or two earlier in the film at least if the director really wanted to end the film that way.
All in all highly recommended. I'd give it a firm high rating/variable rating.

The Rover

A sort of modern western/post-apocalyptic/road flick that's really good; albeit a slow/dark/indie film if those are issues for you. Some really great acting performances in this from Guy Pearce and especially Robert Pattinson, that guy from Twilight. Surprised to say that guy is a very good actor. Wasn't at all sold on him at the start, but by the end of the film I was beyond sold. If this performance is at all a sign of things to come he's going to make a very good career for himself. Another note, the film is directed by the guy who did Animal Kingdom a few years ago. That's 2 films and 2 knockouts on my scorecard for the director.

My only real issue:

The ending was a letdown. Imo the film should have ended after Robert Pattinson died and with the scene where Guy Pearce breaking down crying for what is likely the first time the character did so in 10 years. Should have at least mentioned the dog in passing a time or two earlier in the film at least if the director really wanted to end the film that way.
I've seen that Twighlight kid in a couple other things- he's been uniformly very good, so it's not a surprise to hear that he's good in this.

:blackdot: for the movie- I'll definitely keep an eye out for it... is it in theaters or on video?

The Rover

My only real issue:

I've seen that Twighlight kid in a couple other things- he's been uniformly very good, so it's not a surprise to hear that he's good in this.

:blackdot: for the movie- I'll definitely keep an eye out for it... is it in theaters or on video?

I think on dvd Tuesday.

The Rover

My only real issue:

All I know is it's "on-line".

The Master

Yep, an odd, meandering movie. Worth seeing because I think it had two of the best acting performances that year. I think Phoenix should have won the Oscar.
Yeah, I don't think many actors could have pulled that role off so effectively.

Watched a couple blockbusters from this year. Had similar thoughts about them, but completely different reactions to the movies.

Amazing Spider-Man 2:

Mostly brutal to watch. I did think there was a couple decent scenes, but mostly these were brief and quiet interactions between characters - Peter and Gwen, Peter and his aunt, etc.. As soon as they get to the bad guys, it turns to ####. Electro was just terrible, CG looked terrible, it was just a mess. I thought this was Joel Schumacher Batman bad and would tell most to stay away. 3/10.

Godzilla:

This was a surprise to me. I ended up having a blast with this one. It was mostly the opposite of Spidey. I thought most of the characters were bland, but really liked what they did with the monsters and the CG. This is what I wanted out of Pacific Rim. Yes, it was dumb, and we have to endure a completely bland main guy, but I thought Edwards did a great job with the scale of monsters and showing us how little we could do about what was going on. Did a great job of having humans in the scenes so we get an idea of how big they are and the destruction they are creating. Enough nods to the old ones, had a slight Speilberg edge to it, but it really could have used some more characters that we like more - Cranston and Olsen were great, but not in it enough. The guy from Kick-### was completely boring to be around, and despite the chaos going on around him, seems to have 0 emotion. Still definitely worth a watch. 7/10

The Fault in Our Stars:

I think so too. Maybe "well read" isn't the correct descriptor. Just seems like the trend in the recent movies is all the teens are super cool, watch all the cool old movies, have great comebacks, etc.. I am starting to miss the Anthony Micheal Hall days.

Glad to read the last part of the post. I don't say it enough in here how much I appreciate this thread and come here for other's thoughts and suggestions. Even if it's to see what Andy liked recently so I know what to stay away from. ;)
Cool. I agree about the Anthony Michael Hall bit.

I did see the Let The Fire Burn movie about the Philadelphia group MOVE, and I'd highly recommend it. The political questions it raised made it about a 9/10 for me. Solid documentary. Very emotional, very gripping. There are a lot of questions raised that I'm personally interested in, so that might have made it even better. Questions of self-determination, property rights both private and public, the amount of tolerable dissent allowable in a functioning society, policing tactics, race issues, and proper parenting were all raised. Just sort of unbelievable. If I could figure out how to do the spoiler function, I'd explain it in more detail, but coming from my own political point of view, I find questions of autonomy and self-determination juxtaposed against community standards very interesting.

I also saw two other movies recently. One was the No No: A Dockumentary. I wanted to love this, but I already knew most of the story. I was a baseball devotee in the late 90's and early aughts, and by then, most people that were very into baseball knew Dock's story and the obvious racial dynamic that went along with the Pirates in the 70's. It has a 100% rating at RT, so I'll step aside and not let my own personal knowledge get in the way of rating the film. It was good, and if you're a casual baseball fan, or you want to see how loose sports was in the 70's (before it become such a dang serious business where players are basically their own corporate entities, complete with PR that befits a large corporation) then see this. It's interesting.

Third, and last, I saw The Color Wheel, an indie flick about a cantankerous brother and sister sibling pairing who meet up to help the sister move out her boyfriend's apartment. It's got funny and witty dialogue throughout. It's painful. They're both awkward and quirky and ironic. Anything else I say about the film will be a spoiler. Things get thematically weird about twenty minutes in, and stay that way. I would recommend not reading any reviews and just watching it. I'd give it a 7.5/10, just for the humor involved in a lot of the scenes. Not a family film, so proceed with caution. And not recommended for children at all. But strong dialogue, and strong themes.

The Rover

My only real issue:

I was hit and miss with this movie. Plot was a mess

(all because of a dead dog??)
, but Pattinson was surprisingly good. My favorite scene was him singing "Don't hate me 'cause I'm beautiful" My daughter and I were :lol: :lol:

Edge of Tomorrow

I really liked this Sci-Fi action thriller. Cruise plays an arrogant arms dealer during an alien invasion. He unwillingly gets moved to the front line and is forced into battle operating the same robotic suit that he was touting. Something happens and he goes full Groundhog Day, he keeps reliving the day he dies in battle. After saving Emily Blunts character he discovers that she may hold the answer to what is happening to him, and maybe to winning the war.

Between this and Oblivion (which I actually thought was good, but wasn't as good or as well reviewed as Edge of Tomorrow) Tom Cruise continues to be the best Science Fiction actor, almost like it was his religion.

The Fault in Our Stars:

Cool. I agree about the Anthony Michael Hall bit.

I did see the Let The Fire Burn movie about the Philadelphia group MOVE, and I'd highly recommend it. The political questions it raised made it about a 9/10 for me. Solid documentary. Very emotional, very gripping. There are a lot of questions raised that I'm personally interested in, so that might have made it even better. Questions of self-determination, property rights both private and public, the amount of tolerable dissent allowable in a functioning society, policing tactics, race issues, and proper parenting were all raised. Just sort of unbelievable. If I could figure out how to do the spoiler function, I'd explain it in more detail, but coming from my own political point of view, I find questions of autonomy and self-determination juxtaposed against community standards very interesting.

I also saw two other movies recently. One was the No No: A Dockumentary. I wanted to love this, but I already knew most of the story. I was a baseball devotee in the late 90's and early aughts, and by then, most people that were very into baseball knew Dock's story and the obvious racial dynamic that went along with the Pirates in the 70's. It has a 100% rating at RT, so I'll step aside and not let my own personal knowledge get in the way of rating the film. It was good, and if you're a casual baseball fan, or you want to see how loose sports was in the 70's (before it become such a dang serious business where players are basically their own corporate entities, complete with PR that befits a large corporation) then see this. It's interesting.

Third, and last, I saw The Color Wheel, an indie flick about a cantankerous brother and sister sibling pairing who meet up to help the sister move out her boyfriend's apartment. It's got funny and witty dialogue throughout. It's painful. They're both awkward and quirky and ironic. Anything else I say about the film will be a spoiler. Things get thematically weird about twenty minutes in, and stay that way. I would recommend not reading any reviews and just watching it. I'd give it a 7.5/10, just for the humor involved in a lot of the scenes. Not a family film, so proceed with caution. And not recommended for children at all. But strong dialogue, and strong themes.
Glad you liked Let the Fire Burn. It did still have me thinking about the questions that it made you think about too a few days later. That is the sign of a good movie, and probably deserves a slightly higher rating. Just wished it wasn't quite so dry, but I guess that is a function of just using the stock footage for the movie.

Yojimbo:

I have only watched one Kurosawa so far, and that was Rashomon. This one had a different tone to it and I loved that. Wasn't prepared for the slight goofiness of the movie. Also had some fantastic shots as well. I think I have said, but Westerns are probably my least favorite genre of movie. Maybe can think of 2-3 that I really like. I can see where many would take inspiration from the movie and isn't the first of the Clint trilogy a direct remake? (again, I haven't seen that one either). Anyway, was prepared for one thing, and got another and loved watching the cool guy stroll into town and pit the clans against each other instead of taking them all down himself. I guess I ignorantly was expecting a dark tone like Rashomon. 8/10

Edge of Tomorrow

I really liked this Sci-Fi action thriller. Cruise plays an arrogant arms dealer during an alien invasion. He unwillingly gets moved to the front line and is forced into battle operating the same robotic suit that he was touting. Something happens and he goes full Groundhog Day, he keeps reliving the day he dies in battle. After saving Emily Blunts character he discovers that she may hold the answer to what is happening to him, and maybe to winning the war.

Between this and Oblivion (which I actually thought was good, but wasn't as good or as well reviewed as Edge of Tomorrow) Tom Cruise continues to be the best Science Fiction actor, almost like it was his religion.
I see what you did there.

Yojimbo:

I have only watched one Kurosawa so far, and that was Rashomon. This one had a different tone to it and I loved that. Wasn't prepared for the slight goofiness of the movie. Also had some fantastic shots as well. I think I have said, but Westerns are probably my least favorite genre of movie. Maybe can think of 2-3 that I really like. I can see where many would take inspiration from the movie and isn't the first of the Clint trilogy a direct remake? (again, I haven't seen that one either). Anyway, was prepared for one thing, and got another and loved watching the cool guy stroll into town and pit the clans against each other instead of taking them all down himself. I guess I ignorantly was expecting a dark tone like Rashomon. 8/10
wtf!?

rent your ### some Seven Samurai... stat. Top 3 GOAT for me.

Also a fan of some of the later films- Ran, Kagemusha, Dersu Uzala... but Seven is freaking brilliant.

eta: enjoyed Rashoman as well. Yojimbo is fun and defintely the seed for so many other movies, but not quite as *wow* IIRC.

Yojimbo:

wtf!?

Also a fan of some of the later films- Ran, Kagemusha, Dersu Uzala... but Seven is freaking brilliant.

eta: enjoyed Rashoman as well. Yojimbo is fun and defintely the seed for so many other movies, but not quite as *wow* IIRC.
Kurosawa is one of those directors for me that simply did nothing wrong. Every film is brilliant. Just looking at it from a technical film maker point of view, the shots that he captured are simply brilliant. Having said that, I think sometimes the fact that it's a very different culture with a very different way of acting can sometimes be offputting to some. Mifune's outlandish behavior in Rashomon comes to mind. But from top to bottom, his body of work is perfection. Agreed on Seven Samurai. My other favorites would include Ran and Throne of Blood.

Watched a couple blockbusters from this year. Had similar thoughts about them, but completely different reactions to the movies.

Amazing Spider-Man 2:

Mostly brutal to watch. I did think there was a couple decent scenes, but mostly these were brief and quiet interactions between characters - Peter and Gwen, Peter and his aunt, etc.. As soon as they get to the bad guys, it turns to ####. Electro was just terrible, CG looked terrible, it was just a mess. I thought this was Joel Schumacher Batman bad and would tell most to stay away. 3/10.

Godzilla:

This was a surprise to me. I ended up having a blast with this one. It was mostly the opposite of Spidey. I thought most of the characters were bland, but really liked what they did with the monsters and the CG. This is what I wanted out of Pacific Rim. Yes, it was dumb, and we have to endure a completely bland main guy, but I thought Edwards did a great job with the scale of monsters and showing us how little we could do about what was going on. Did a great job of having humans in the scenes so we get an idea of how big they are and the destruction they are creating. Enough nods to the old ones, had a slight Speilberg edge to it, but it really could have used some more characters that we like more - Cranston and Olsen were great, but not in it enough. The guy from Kick-### was completely boring to be around, and despite the chaos going on around him, seems to have 0 emotion. Still definitely worth a watch. 7/10
Yes to all of this.

Edge of Tomorrow

Loved this movie, and I pimp it to anyone that'll listen.

Yojimbo:

wtf!?

yeah, I know.

it is stupid, but I always have a huge mental roadblock when I see the running time on the movie. combined with being a foreign language movie which means I need to pay even more attention, and I seem to keep putting it off.

I will watch it this fall when my house cleaning project calms down and report back.

Yojimbo:

wtf!?

yeah, I know.

it is stupid, but I always have a huge mental roadblock when I see the running time on the movie. combined with being a foreign language movie which means I need to pay even more attention, and I seem to keep putting it off.

I will watch it this fall when my house cleaning project calms down and report back.
I've seen this thing like 6 or more times. At least twice in theaters.

Until you wrote it... I had no idea it was a long movie, or even in a foreign language- IT'S JUST THAT GOOD.

The Rover

My only real issue:

, but Pattinson was surprisingly good. My favorite scene was him singing "Don't hate me 'cause I'm beautiful" My daughter and I were :lol: :lol:

Yeah I mentioned the ending in the spoiler of my last post as pretty dumb, but besides that I had no issues with the plot at all. Was definitely a little deflating, but the journey to that point was great so I wasn't bothered all too much.

Yojimbo:

wtf!?

Kurosawa is one of those directors for me that simply did nothing wrong. Every film is brilliant. Just looking at it from a technical film maker point of view, the shots that he captured are simply brilliant. Having said that, I think sometimes the fact that it's a very different culture with a very different way of acting can sometimes be offputting to some. Mifune's outlandish behavior in Rashomon comes to mind. But from top to bottom, his body of work is perfection. Agreed on Seven Samurai. My other favorites would include Ran and Throne of Blood.
"Throne..." for me is a favorite but then I love "MacBeth". "Ran" is a spectacle certainly but it pulls it off beautifully. I like some of others that I have seen like "The Bad Sleep Well", "Stray Dog" and "High and Low". I keep meaning to check out "Dersu Uzala" but haven't quite gotten to it. Honestly, I don't adore "7 Samurai" like others here do but I can see where they would dig it.

El Floppo said:
KarmaPolice said:
Yojimbo:

wtf!?

yeah, I know.

I've seen this thing like 6 or more times. At least twice in theaters.

Until you wrote it... I had no idea it was a long movie, or even in a foreign language- IT'S JUST THAT GOOD.
Ok, gotta call BS on this one. ;)

Neighbors:

Didn't like this one much at all. Can remember a couple laughs and it a few chuckles, but throughout most of the movie I was bored. Too many long stretches of no laughs to give this one a good grade at all. Curious to hear other poster's reactions to this one, as I know my comedy meter seems to be off - ie not liking The Heat when a lot found it hilarious. I thought this one was even worse. 4/10.

oh wow... so the wife wanted to watch something "scary" last night- she likes Catholicism run amuck, so we found something for free called Exorcismas. Or pretty close- that's what we called it as it got progressively worse and more ridiculous. Looks like it was made for British TV... at best. Funniest/worst bits revolved around the protagonist getting part-time exorcisms and then walking around as if all was cool. On the 7th day of Exorcismas, my ####ty writers gave to me... a part-time job doing exorcisms. Sas.

The Rover

My only real issue:

Yeah I mentioned the ending in the spoiler of my last post as pretty dumb, but besides that I had no issues with the plot at all. Was definitely a little deflating, but the journey to that point was great so I wasn't bothered all too much.
It was a good movie with some terrific acting, but I really prefer my post-apocalyptic movies to have that world almost as a character. This movie could have been set lost week or in TOmbstone or whatever.

Neighbors:

Didn't like this one much at all. Can remember a couple laughs and it a few chuckles, but throughout most of the movie I was bored. Too many long stretches of no laughs to give this one a good grade at all. Curious to hear other poster's reactions to this one, as I know my comedy meter seems to be off - ie not liking The Heat when a lot found it hilarious. I thought this one was even worse. 4/10.
Hard to like a movie when all the characters are dicks.

Divergent:

Divergent is a coming of age film that is designed to relate to teenagers as they transition from being extensions of their parents to figuring out where they fit into society. Like when they sit in the auditorium and have to make the permanent choice of what faction to join, that's the kind of scene that young adults choosing a major in college might really relate to, but have no meaning to a guy in his 40s.

What if I didn't see the first captain amaerica?
The first one is more of an origin story. If you are already familiar with the character you can skip it. It really wasn't all that great. Everything important to the plot in Winter's soldier from the first movie is explained at some point in the movie. You may not be as familiar with some of the characters but it works as a stand alone.

The Drop

I really liked this movie. It was low key - it wasn't all hyped up with local gangster stereotypes. Had a real good local neighborhood feel to it. And Tom Hardy was pretty amazing.

A Walk Through the Tombstones

This movie had the potential to be really super. Midway through it I was thinking I can't wait to recommend this to a few friends - and then, it just got too long and parts of it with the young character in the movie just didn't make any sense. Then it sort of wrapped up sort of "okay" I guess. This was alright, but it could have been so much better.

cosjobs said:
Neighbors:

I am interested in seeing more reviews here on this one. I think I felt the same way towards this movie that people felt towards This is 40.

Riversco said:
Divergent:

Divergent is a coming of age film that is designed to relate to teenagers as they transition from being extensions of their parents to figuring out where they fit into society. Like when they sit in the auditorium and have to make the permanent choice of what faction to join, that's the kind of scene that young adults choosing a major in college might really relate to, but have no meaning to a guy in his 40s.
1. I am not 40 yet, dammit.

2. There are boatloads of movie designed to relate to people who are not me or in my demographic that I still think are good movies. That doesn't excuse Divergent having a boring lead as their action hero.

Looks like we are in the middle of a quite a run on post apocalyptic teen movies too. Maze Runner coming out and I thought there was another similar one as well.

belljr said:
I think you would be fine. If you have seen The Avengers, some of the story of the first Capt. America is covered. As another poster pointed out, there are flashbacks to catch people up if needed too. About the only downfall is a couple plot points might not have the same impact without seeing #1, but it's not like you will be lost on the plot or anything.

Muppets Most Wanted:

This one was a disappointment. I adored the one from a couple years ago. This one was sorely missing Jason Segel's involvement. The other one had a feel of a love letter to the muppets and I thought the humor was a lot better. This one had some decent parts, but didn't have the same feel to it. I don't believe that I am saying this, but the songs were also very unforgettable. Not sure if this one is in the top 1/2 of Muppet movies for me. Probably hovering a notch right above Muppet Treasure Island. 5/10

Snowpiercer was excellent. Really enjoyed it.
I watched this over the weekend knowing how divisive it has been for some people and enjoyed it as well. Sure there are parts that are either unbelievable or a bit cheesy, but overall I thought the film was well made and very thought provoking. The premise sounded boring to me but it was far from that.

cosjobs said:
Neighbors:

I am interested in seeing more reviews here on this one. I think I felt the same way towards this movie that people felt towards This is 40. I
I completely agree. I was mostly bored throughout the movie. It surprisingly got decent reviews.

Muppets Most Wanted:

This one was a disappointment. I adored the one from a couple years ago. This one was sorely missing Jason Segel's involvement. The other one had a feel of a love letter to the muppets and I thought the humor was a lot better. This one had some decent parts, but didn't have the same feel to it. I don't believe that I am saying this, but the songs were also very unforgettable. Not sure if this one is in the top 1/2 of Muppet movies for me. Probably hovering a notch right above Muppet Treasure Island. 5/10
Dammit!

Life Itself (doc on Roger Ebert)

Big Ebert fan and this was a disappointment. What I loved about Ebert was his film knowledge and love of the movies. They should have focused a lot more on that. This movie was 2 hours of his last days and some clips of him and Siskel #####ing at each other. Not especially uplifting about what artistic insights he brought to the world. Only thing I got out of this was he had one hell of a wife.

3 / 5 stars

belljr said:
I think you would be fine. If you have seen The Avengers, some of the story of the first Capt. America is covered. As another poster pointed out, there are flashbacks to catch people up if needed too. About the only downfall is a couple plot points might not have the same impact without seeing #1, but it's not like you will be lost on the plot or anything.
Didn't see avengers either :unsure:

Users who are viewing this thread