What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (5 Viewers)

I haven't seen The Commune but heartily recommend The Celebration.  First Dogme 95 movie, too, which adds an additional element of interest.
huh.... I remember seeing that  in the theater when it came out (as a Von Trier fan... at the time). my memory is that didn't do much of anything for me- even if I dug the concept of Dogme.

@krista4 - have you seen The Hunt or Another Round? 

I've seen Another Round and feel very similarly to you about it.  I liked it a lot but it has stuck with me, and I've grown in my appreciation of it.

huh.... I remember seeing that  in the theater when it came out (as a Von Trier fan... at the time). my memory is that didn't do much of anything for me- even if I dug the concept of Dogme.

KP can be the tiebreaker!

I appreciate what Wes Anderson does. But I find most of his movies to be so emotionally aloof, I don't really want to watch many of them ever again. I think Jo Jo Rabbit is a film made in a similar style that is more satisfying than most Wes films.
"emotionally aloof" is a perfect way of describing his work.

and yet- still so visually satisfying, I enjoy them. but yeah- they're not character or emotional studies- and I hadn't thought about the revisits at all... something I haven't done with his work... but probably because of what you say. I'd want to revisit a scene, but have no interest in watching a whole movie again.

JoJo wasn't as visually impressive to me, but likely more satisfying as complete film.

For my own reference:

1. Giant: ('58) 201 mins
  2. Spartacus ('60) 197 mins
  3. Lawrence of Arabia ('62)  228 mins 
4. The Last Emperor (‘87) a breezy 163 minutes 

After watching the last three in 4K and HDR, this is just a blu ray and despite being the newest film by 35 years,I immediately noticed that it just doesn’t pop on the screen the same way. It actually looks older than Spartacus and LoA. 

Watched Treasure of the Sierra Madre for the first time ever. Man that Dobsie was a jerk. Definitely deserves the reverence it gets, really great exploration of greed, paranoia, and a bit about what's important in life. I think it still mostly holds its own today, I think the black and white actually is an enhancement, and fits the mood, though there are a few shots of the desert wilderness under a clear sky it might have been nice to see in color. Love John Huston's cameo, but Bogart owns this. He was incredible. The rest of the acting was pretty good, some lines have become so iconic as to be laughable out of context, but seen delivered in context fit perfectly and make sense. And now I get all the references to this film I've seen over the years. Simpsons three men and a comic book doesn't hold a candle. ;)

Must watch if you haven't seen it, saw it via HBO max.

Watched Treasure of the Sierra Madre for the first time ever. Man that Dobsie was a jerk. Definitely deserves the reverence it gets, really great exploration of greed, paranoia, and a bit about what's important in life. I think it still mostly holds its own today, I think the black and white actually is an enhancement, and fits the mood, though there are a few shots of the desert wilderness under a clear sky it might have been nice to see in color. Love John Huston's cameo, but Bogart owns this. He was incredible. The rest of the acting was pretty good, some lines have become so iconic as to be laughable out of context, but seen delivered in context fit perfectly and make sense. And now I get all the references to this film I've seen over the years. Simpsons three men and a comic book doesn't hold a candle. ;)

Walter Huston is great in it too. May seem almost a caricature at this point as I feel that template he did has been spoofed and copied so many times but to see the full movie with his crazy performance is something special. 

Walter Huston is great in it too. May seem almost a caricature at this point as I feel that template he did has been spoofed and copied so many times but to see the full movie with his crazy performance is something special. 
Definitely, like some of the lines having been given the same treatment too over the years. The source material is so strong and well crafted, it still holds up even after decades of spoof and homage. And, in the end, he was the least crazy / wisest of all, behind the manic antics. A great performance.

Now an epic with a bit of sense of humor. Perhaps even cheeky?

5. The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp ('43) 163 mins 

Technicolor masterpiece. If Lawrence of Arabia is indeed the best British film ever made, this is certainly the 2nd. 

The war starts at midnight!

Last edited by a moderator:
Now an epic with a bit of sense of humor. Perhaps even cheeky?

5. The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp ('43) 163 mins 

Technicolor masterpiece. If Lawrence of Arabia is indeed the best British film ever made, this is certainly the 2nd. 

The war starts at midnight!

I’ve seen a handful of Powell and Pressburger and I have enjoyed them all, but I have not watched that one yet. Just put it in JustWatch and saw it is on HBO Max. Will have to watch.

I’ve seen a handful of Powell and Pressburger and I have enjoyed them all, but I have not watched that one yet. Just put it in JustWatch and saw it is on HBO Max. Will have to watch.
I am going to tell you something that may help you on your first watch or show how dumb I am

1. Colonel Blimp is not a character in this movie despite the title. It's a reference to a famous British cartoon character that poked fun at the pompous, imperialistic British military type of the late 1800s and early 1900s. When I first watched it, I kept waiting and waiting for a Col Blimp to show up. Turns out the main character is a take on the Col Blimp type.

2. Deborah Kerr plays multiple roles. First time I saw it, I was confused why so many women in the movie looked so much alike. 

Maybe I am dumb but that confused me in a distracting way the first time I saw it. 

I have seen Blimp, Red Shoes, Matter of Life and Death, Black Narcissus and Ill Met By Moonlight. The last one was pretty bad but the other 4 are stunning in their quality and look. Very few films from the 40s look anywhere near this good today. 

What have you seen? Do you have a favorite among them?

Epic Film Fest heads back to the west. It’s the first film that is new to me and one of Hollywood’s most famous flops:

6. Heaven’s Gate (‘80) 219 minutes 

I have heard this is actually quite good so let’s see what we got here. 

i know nobody's a reader anymore, but the novels and short stories of the man who wrote Treasure, B Traven,  are a great, unknown trove. kinda Joseph Conrad without the pomposity. and the author was quite a character. if there hadnt already been a movie about the making of a John Huston movie - Clint Eastwood's tribute to the African Queen shoot, White Hunter, Black Heart - i would have been tempted to try the story of the illusive Traven (pen name) attempting to clandestinely monitor & insinuate himself on the set of Treasure, when the director would have freely welcomed & included him. twas a hoot, from all accounts.

I made it through all but the last 15 minutes of Lady Vengeance (I simply could NOT stay awake).

Although I will finish it, I'm not in a great hurry to.

Koreans are simply filled with revenge fantasies, eh?

and yet- still so visually satisfying, I enjoy them. but yeah- they're not character or emotional studies- and I hadn't thought about the revisits at all... something I haven't done with his work... but probably because of what you say. I'd want to revisit a scene, but have no interest in watching a whole movie again.
Wes' visual style is practically unparalleled, so I'll always watch his films for that.

Good Luck!
My final takeaway is pretty boring. It's not the total disaster critics in 1980 labeled it but it's also far from one of the greatest American movies as some modern critics have reclaimed it as. It will  need a 2nd watch from me. I got a little distracted here and there with my phone and the news unfolding over the day. The scope and production value of the movie are absolutely first rate though. It was really the last of it's kind. 

My final takeaway is pretty boring. It's not the total disaster critics in 1980 labeled it but it's also far from one of the greatest American movies as some modern critics have reclaimed it as. It will  need a 2nd watch from me. I got a little distracted here and there with my phone and the news unfolding over the day. The scope and production value of the movie are absolutely first rate though. It was really the last of it's kind. 
a fair way to describe Gate's watchability is that it makes most distractions appealing...

I thoroughly enjoyed the 2022 Indian blockbuster RRR on Netflix.  The Tollywood melodramatics and bizarre musical interludes take some getting used to and the excessive CGI and brutality are a lot but the movie is wildly entertaining with a number of insane action set pieces.  It's a period piece about Indian revolutionaries set in the 1920s--a perfect bit of anti-colonialism to watch on the Queen's jubilee.
This is the next installment for me in my epic movies as it clocks in at 182 minutes. I am about half way through so far and it's wild fun. I don't care for the overly CGI look but they put it to use and pull off some truly wild stuff. The scale is massive even if it's just computer generated. I read it's the most expensive Indian movie of all time and broke the Indian box office records. 

Wait, you really hadn’t? How!
Nothing should surprise this group when it comes to me and 80s comedies.   

Probably safe to say any comedy from 70s- about 83/84 I either haven't seen it all the way through only did way late in life.  I am sure there are many others I haven't seen.  Ones like Stripes and The Jerk stand out as ones I haven't seen yet.  

I've seen Another Round and feel very similarly to you about it.  I liked it a lot but it has stuck with me, and I've grown in my appreciation of it.

KP can be the tiebreaker!
Not for a bit, I didn't see this post and watched The Commune instead since it was on Prime and people could watch it if I liked it enough to recommend.    

Another good watch, but it was my least favorite of the 3 I watched of Vinterberg - this one was more of a 6/10.  All of the interesting human dynamics are still there as in the others, but I just found the characters and situation less interesting and more predictable.   

I've been wanting to rewatch the Ruben Östlund movie I have seen (did you ever get around to watching Force Majure, @Ilov80s? ), and a couple others look up my alley so I am going to watch a few this week.     The Square will be one since that's been in my queue forever, and there is Ostlund 3-movie set on Criterion Channel so I will try at least one of them as well - Involuntary or Play (open to suggestions if people have seen either or both). 

I've been wanting to rewatch the Ruben Östlund movie I have seen (did you ever get around to watching Force Majure, @Ilov80s? ), and a couple others look up my alley so I am going to watch a few this week.     The Square will be one since that's been in my queue forever, and there is Ostlund 3-movie set on Criterion Channel so I will try at least one of them as well - Involuntary or Play (open to suggestions if people have seen either or both). 
I haven't, kind of forgot about it. 

Nothing should surprise this group when it comes to me and 80s comedies.   

Probably safe to say any comedy from 70s- about 83/84 I either haven't seen it all the way through only did way late in life.  I am sure there are many others I haven't seen.  Ones like Stripes and The Jerk stand out as ones I haven't seen yet.  
Still surprises me every time. 

in most of my important decision-making, a one-shot of me at the airport in a trenchcoat flashes thru my mind
Rick Blaine is a real superhero.

His Kryptonite and Spinach all in one is a perfect tear from Ilsa that melts his cynical heart and he regains his idealism. An idealism that later infects Renault - and thus the resistance spreads.

His Kryptonite and Spinach all in one is a perfect tear from Ilsa that melts his cynical heart and he regains his idealism. An idealism that later infects Renault - and thus the resistance spreads.
You can blow out a candle
But you can't blow out a fire
Once the flames begin to catch
The wind will blow it higher

blasphemy to be sure, but Rick Blaine, Professor Marvel & Willie Mays are my Holy Trinity

I believe the Casablanca 4K is coming out later this year for the 80th anniversary. 

8. King of Kings ('27) 155 mins    

Going  back almost 100 years for this one. Wanted to check out a DeMille silent epic.The scale is big and unlike in RRR, the wild animals that appear here are the real deal. However, it's just a very standard telling of the finals days and resurrection of Jesus. There is a little commentary on the way governments can use religions but it's mostly a straight retelling. There are 2 extended scenes in color that still look really good. Quite striking to see such well done color in 1927. It was fine but something I would never revisit. 

7. King of Kings ('27) 155 mins    

Going  back almost 100 years for this one. Wanted to check out a DeMille silent epic.The scale is big and unlike in RRR, the wild animals that appear here are the real deal. However, it's just a very standard telling of the finals days and resurrection of Jesus. There is a little commentary on the way governments can use religions but it's mostly a straight retelling. There are 2 extended scenes in color that still look really good. Quite striking to see such well done color in 1927. It was fine but something I would never revisit. 

The 1961 Nicholas Ray film by the same name isn't a remake of DeMille's but a different telling of the Christ story.  I haven't seen it for maybe ten years but I remember it fondly as far as biblical epics go.  Jeffrey Hunter's blue-eyed Jesus is a sincere portrayal.  It's a lot better than George Stevens' The Greatest Story Ever Told which by the way is on Prime Video and clocks in at a svelte 192 min (the original cut was 260 min :shock: )

The 1961 Nicholas Ray film by the same name isn't a remake of DeMille's but a different telling of the Christ story.  I haven't seen it for maybe ten years but I remember it fondly as far as biblical epics go.  Jeffrey Hunter's blue-eyed Jesus is a sincere portrayal.  It's a lot better than George Stevens' The Greatest Story Ever Told which by the way is on Prime Video and clocks in at a svelte 192 min (the original cut was 260 min :shock: )
The Greatest Story Ever Told is without a doubt one of the worst movies I've ever sat through. It's the perfect storm of poorly made, boring and extremely long. 

Any of you movie people seen RRR, the epic thingamajigee out of tolly/bollywood?

It's getting a lot of love in the Netflix thread...except from one person.

Any of you movie people seen RRR, the epic thingamajigee out of tolly/bollywood?

I thoroughly enjoyed the 2022 Indian blockbuster RRR on Netflix.  The Tollywood melodramatics and bizarre musical interludes take some getting used to and the excessive CGI and brutality are a lot but the movie is wildly entertaining with a number of insane action set pieces.  It's a period piece about Indian revolutionaries set in the 1920s--a perfect bit of anti-colonialism to watch on the Queen's jubilee.

Yeah, just watched it. It's a ton of fun. It's not my thing totally as it's very CGI heavy and has a lot in common with comic book movies. Despite that and the long run time, it's an easy fun watch. 

Yeah, just watched it. It's a ton of fun. It's not my thing totally as it's very CGI heavy and has a lot in common with comic book movies. Despite that and the long run time, it's an easy fun watch. 
Fwiw, I was the "one person".

After 5 minutes I knew what it was, and I should have pulled the plug instead of continuing to watch. I compared it to watching a homo-erotic infomercial, with worse CGI and a leading couple who never really hook up.

After 5 minutes I knew what it was, and I should have pulled the plug instead of continuing to watch. I compared it to watching a homo-erotic infomercial, with worse CGI and a leading couple who never really hook up.
I ventured over and am now seeing the commentary in the Streaming thread. People saying it's the fave of the year or all time top 10 is wild. Nowhere close to that for me. I am sure I will never watch it again. But I did have fun with it.

I ventured over and am now seeing the commentary in the Streaming thread. People saying it's the fave of the year or all time top 10 is wild. Nowhere close to that for me. I am sure I will never watch it again. But I did have fun with it.
I get having fun watching it. It's a bunch of silly action set pieces, with singing and dancing mixed in. 

Just felt like it was heavy handedly thematically smacking the viewer in the face, kinda similar to what those Chinese epic films of the 90s did (thematically), but nowhere near as well done. 

For a bit there I thought you were talking about 300.  

I am sure I missed a lot by lacking the background info. I did know the two main characters are supposed to be 2 famous Indian revolutionaries on an adventure before they became famous. It would be like if we made a movie about George Washington and Patrick Henry fighting bears and engaging in dance contests with British troops. 

Users who are viewing this thread