What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Redrafting Immediatly following SB for next year (1 Viewer)

G-King

Footballguy
We have a 12 team, redraft league and are considering having our next year draft the day of this years Super Bowl. Its an 18 man roster and were thinking of having a second draft for rookies after the April NFL Draft (Probably 1 round??) and add 1 roster spot to allow for it.

Does anyone else do a draft that early, and does it work? What are some things to address and problems to watch for? Obviously the object is to keep playing year around and make owners follow contracts and free agency a little closer.

You'd need a serious crystal ball to figure out who's going to sign where as free agents, and which pro teams are going to draft which players.

If you did your homework (and had a substantial amount of luck), you could do extremely well - or the opposite could happen.

Also, I don't think any league managers allow league set-ups that early. You'd need to do it somewhere neutral and log the results in manually - lots o' work, but do-able.

Sounds like a worthy experiment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Way back when we had a dynasty league where we would hold our annual draft prior to the NFL draft, so we were essentially drafting incoming rookies based strictly on talent instead of situation. It definitely made watching the NFL draft much more exciting.

You'd need a serious crystal ball to figure out who's going to sign where as free agents, and which pro teams are going to draft which players.If you did your homework (and had a substantial amount of luck), you could do extremely well - or the opposite could happen.Also, I don't think any league managers allow league set-ups that early. You'd need to do it somewhere neutral and log the results in manually - lots o' work, but do-able.Sounds like a worthy experiment.
Agreed on all your points. We are willing to manually keep up with it till the site resets in March. The advantage to doing it is better for the Owner that works hard and stays on top of things to reduce the "crystal ball" window. Who it hurts is the guy that buys his magazine two weeks before the draft and just copies off the cheatsheets. In our day of the internet sites and 1,000 magazines doing the homework, we are trying to divise a way to make each owner work with less help and relying on his own skills at projecting and managing.

You'd need a serious crystal ball to figure out who's going to sign where as free agents, and which pro teams are going to draft which players.If you did your homework (and had a substantial amount of luck), you could do extremely well - or the opposite could happen.Also, I don't think any league managers allow league set-ups that early. You'd need to do it somewhere neutral and log the results in manually - lots o' work, but do-able.Sounds like a worthy experiment.
Agreed on all your points. We are willing to manually keep up with it till the site resets in March. The advantage to doing it is better for the Owner that works hard and stays on top of things to reduce the "crystal ball" window. Who it hurts is the guy that buys his magazine two weeks before the draft and just copies off the cheatsheets. In our day of the internet sites and 1,000 magazines doing the homework, we are trying to divise a way to make each owner work with less help and relying on his own skills at projecting and managing.
No amount of homework is going to be to anyone's advantage in regards to FA signings, coaching changes, offseason incidents and the draft. IMO, it probably helps the shlubs with a magazine more than it does the homework/researching owners. It introduces way more luck into it than if you wait until after the NFL draft.

I can't see any advantages to this but I do rank my players after week 17. These are the orginal rankings I adjust throughout the year.

mad sweeney said:
G-King said:
dudaman said:
No amount of homework is going to be to anyone's advantage in regards to FA signings, coaching changes, offseason incidents and the draft. IMO, it probably helps the shlubs with a magazine more than it does the homework/researching owners. It introduces way more luck into it than if you wait until after the NFL draft.
I've disagreed with madsweeny quite a bit in the past, but this isExtremely :goodposting: I think drafting after the SuperBowl is pretty insane.When I draft, I want to know who the head coaches are, the OC/DC are, what teams the players are on, who's injured, and whatever else comes into play. :rolleyes:

I think it is a great idea. It would be interesting to follow the progress of a new roster for the year. My local league charges $1.00 per waiver and we have a healthy party fund for next years draft. If we drafted after the SB we could all take limo,s to the draft and need one by the 10th rd.

We have a 12 team, redraft league and are considering having our next year draft the day of this years Super Bowl. Its an 18 man roster and were thinking of having a second draft for rookies after the April NFL Draft (Probably 1 round??) and add 1 roster spot to allow for it. Does anyone else do a draft that early, and does it work? What are some things to address and problems to watch for? Obviously the object is to keep playing year around and make owners follow contracts and free agency a little closer.
Sounds like premature determination to me...

Fantasy as is is based off of more luck than we would want to believe. The earlier you have drafts the more is left upto the fantasy gods.

If you have draft as late as possible you ensure that as much skill as possible is used vs luck. Injuries, trades, deaths, promotions/demotions and coaching changes become smaller variables the closer you draft to kick-off.

There is an argument for sharks to want to draft early but no-one is immune from the variables mentioned above.

I usually like drafting as early as possible simply because I cant wait to draft.

I looked in here to see if by SB you meant the Super Bowl or your fantasy league championship. I still can't tell, but this is such a dumb idea it would follow that you meant the latter.

I used to play in a league called the Pro Bowl League .

we drafted Pro Bowl Sunday, then had a 2 round supplemental draft just before the season started.

it worked fine but some strange things happened.

like Joseph Addai not being drafted as a rookie.

he was easily the gem of the supplemental draft.

And the poor joker whose #1 draft pick tears his ACL in pre-season is gonna hate life well before Week 1. A perilous way to run a league, IMO. I can see at least a third of your leaguemates losing interest before the season even starts.

We have a 12 team, redraft league and are considering having our next year draft the day of this years Super Bowl. Its an 18 man roster and were thinking of having a second draft for rookies after the April NFL Draft (Probably 1 round??) and add 1 roster spot to allow for it. Does anyone else do a draft that early, and does it work? What are some things to address and problems to watch for? Obviously the object is to keep playing year around and make owners follow contracts and free agency a little closer.
This league sounds like alot of fun. I'd like one of my leagues to try this.

I looked in here to see if by SB you meant the Super Bowl or your fantasy league championship. I still can't tell, but this is such a dumb idea it would follow that you meant the latter.
I meant the NFL Super Bowl, after the season. The topic was brought up for discussion as a new idea and different way to look at drafting. Thanks for all your insight though, you must be a great conversationalist. :goodposting:

I meant the NFL Super Bowl, after the season. The topic was brought up for discussion as a new idea and different way to look at drafting. Thanks for all your insight though, you must be a great conversationalist. :excited:
If you want to keep everyone involved I would just do a dynasty leauge. Everyone has to keep up with the current comings and goings and there is a lot less luck involved. You get to make trades and it is the closest to actually running a team.

Users who are viewing this thread