What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rent-a-Defense: Week 5 (1 Viewer)

St. Louis is my top choice, but with Blackmon back there is a VERY slight chance that Jacksonville will put up more of a fight.
I agree with this. Im gonna pick up and roll w/ Tennessee vs KC. Not that smith is going to be a turnover machine again like he was against the giants but with KC I think we know what we have...an offense that isnt built to socre a ton of points...just score enough to let the defense win the game.

Blackmon is a wild card for jax, sort of like gordon was for cleveland when people started minny d vs cleveland in week 3 thinking it was money in the bank.

Gabbert blows, we know this...but blackmon is a stud and a weapon for him. BW him and shorts i wouldn't be surprised to see jax break out of their funk against a defense that is scaring absolutely NO ONE so far this year.

On the surface this looks like a "get right" game for STL...but look a little deeper and it might just be a "get right" game for JAX.
Yeah my whole theory with renting Ds is a subpar D does not trump a subpar O. Rams are on my Do Not Fly list.
That's a very interesting take. I guess I'm still thinking that St. Louis is a real NFL defense. They tied for the league lead in sacks last year. Their fantasy points scored so far this year is really low, but I'm thinking that has more to do with the competition (Atlanta, Dallas, and San Francisco...they scored well against Arizona).

I'm sticking with the Rams instead of San Francisco this week. I really hope I don't regret it.

Eagles @NYG?
It may just be the :homer: in me, but I wouldn't. The Giants looked better last week for most of the game until they collapsed at the end after multiple special teams mistakes. They've also been playing against some great defenses. The giants aren't Jacksonville no matter how much they can look like them at times. They will bounce back and I would say there's a very good chance it's this week.

Eagles @NYG?
It may just be the :homer: in me, but I wouldn't. The Giants looked better last week for most of the game until they collapsed at the end after multiple special teams mistakes. They've also been playing against some great defenses. The giants aren't Jacksonville no matter how much they can look like them at times. They will bounce back and I would say there's a very good chance it's this week.
Eagles d is also putrid.

Carolina & ari is a good play

Tenn vs KC is a good play

KC @ tenn is a great play - fitzy is a turnover machine.

Any opinions on Houston's D? Currently sitting on Baltimore who is matched up against Mia and Houston against the 49ers this week. Assuming Cushings is cleared are they a safe pickup against the 49ers?

I'm kind of surprised about all the Carolina supporters here. They haven't been that great except for the game against the Giants, which I would say is the outlier. Besides that, they did average at Buffalo and at home against Seattle (week1). Playing in Arizona isn't a cake walk.

I guess with Carolina you a re hoping they can generate a few sacks on Palmer and 1-2 Ints. If you don't have a ton of option this week for streaming D's i don't think its that bad.

I'm kind of surprised about all the Carolina supporters here. They haven't been that great except for the game against the Giants, which I would say is the outlier. Besides that, they did average at Buffalo and at home against Seattle (week1). Playing in Arizona isn't a cake walk.
Really good pass rush against a pretty bad o-line. That's about what it comes down to. The other "obvious" streaming matchups--Rams vs. Jags and Falcons vs. Jets--are teams whose defenses are overall a bit questionable, and have produced very little so far.

Anyone rolling with the Saints in Chicago this week? It appears they can be run on, Miller had a great first half on Monday night so Forte could well do some damage. That said, can never underestimate Cutler's mistakes when they're chasing a game which could be likely give the way the Saints put up points. A couple of ints and maybe a pick 6 maybe wouldn't be a shock? I could try for Panthers or Browns off the wire too.

I kind of like the Saints, but the bears can put up a lot of points even if they make some mistakes doing so. Saints have been a solid unit all year, though.

CAR. front seven vs. Arz offensive line, looks mighty good this week.
Hoping it will be a repeat of what they did to the Gmen - another OL struggling right now.

Also - coming off of the bye week - I'm guessing that they've had a chance for their secondary to heal a bit or get the replacements up to speed. Wish the game was in CAR - but everything else seems to line up nicely.

How about Atlanta vs the Geno Jets, this one looks good. Think this one is better the CAR vs AZ

I wouldn't really say that holding Seattle to 12 points is "average", and at least in my league they scored 10 fantasy points in that game. It wasn't a great performance for fantasy, but considering the competition it was quite good. Carolina was destroyed in the secondary in the game against Buffalo, losing 3 players over the course of a few plays. It completely threw everything off.

Against the Giants, you saw what the front 7 is capable of against a weak offensive line and an immobile quarterback. Guess what Arizona has?

How about Atlanta vs the Geno Jets, this one looks good. Think this one is better the CAR vs AZ
I originally planned on targeting the Rams, and the Panthers were already taken. In the end, I went with the Falcons.

They are a team that is sitting at 1-3 after having high hopes for the season. It's in primetime. The Jets are without their top two receivers. Geno Smith is a turnover machine.

Everything adds up to a statement game for the Falcons.

Panthers D is a mirage and they are on the road. They will also probably go 1-6 in the next 7 games.

I would rank the likely choices as follows:

Browns

Rams

Falcons

Packers D is also a sneaky play at home coming off a bye playing the Lions.

Rolling Buffalo Bills defense this week. Anyone with me?

The Bills defense doesn't look as bad on the stat sheet as it does on the game film, IMO. They get after the QB, which is generating quite a few turnovers for them, and honestly they percentage of completed passes they give up is remarkably low considering the fact that they're defense has the fourth most pass attempts in the league against it.

Meanwhile, Hoyer does have a better TD to INT margin in his last two games than Weeden. His yards per game, however, is higher than Weeden's because he's gotten a few more attempts each game than Weeden has. Hoyer's completion percentage is still awful and his yards per attempt aren't much better than Weeden's either.

I've been riding NO this entire season and they haven't disappointed. I'm afraid to drop them but ATL looks enticing with NYJ and TB at home the next two weeks.

Can they actually make plays though?
Had Cleveland, did reasonably well. Played Titans last week and did great. But this week I'm going with the Stains, even though Atlanta is available. Some of these young defensive players the Saints have look sharp--very aggressive, i.e. not the passive pass rush we're used to seeing down here. These no-name players, I think, are much better than they're being given credit for. And, hopefully, Cutler will have a repeat performance like the one last week.

Palmer with 6 picks and a bunch of sacks in 4 games and they lose 3 olineman on an already struggling o line. CAR's secondary got healthy off the bye and has some new found trust in their depth.

The big play type defense didn't exactly show up vs game manager Wilson and Manuel that went dink and dunk but it actually has been trending that way. (CAR led in ints in preseason, 4th in forced fumbles)

Oh and last time Palmer saw Greg Hardy we saw this http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1357197/carsonhit.gif

Rams have played better offenses than ALT has, and put up better sack/TO numbers. Havent looked at it but think Blackmons good numbers have been with Henne. Rams just came off a big whooping, had an extra 3 days rest, at home too....Blaine Gabbert is just too tempting.

Last edited by a moderator:
But i'm pretty sure the Falcons are coming out blazing and probably be up by 3TDs most of the way. Geno is going to forced to throw................who is he going to throw to...especially if Asante Samuel is back

While MJD has looked awful, Rams are awful against the run. He could have a good game.

Browns D would be my pick if I was renting a D this week. Followed by a hopeful Rams D.

Panthers are coming off a bye, had 7 sacks in the last game before basically going into prevent defense and killing the clock on offense. They're getting healthier in the back end (and hopefully the kids are improving back there as well), though it doesn't seem like Mikell will play this week.

Still, Cardinals O-line wasn't great to begin with. As someone else said, they've lost a few starters to injury, and then traded Levi Brown to Pittsburgh. Now Levi wasn't excellent, but what about the guy that couldn't beat out Levi for the job?

Don't overthink this one - Carolina's got enough juice on offense to build a lead, and the coaching staff seemed to figure something out there last week. Hopefully that continues to improve off the bye as well. But the CAR front 7 vs one of the worst o-lines in the league and a QB that can't move and is prone to picks? Sign me up...

Anytime you go against Carson Palmer, you have a great chance at an INT for a TD.

Anytime you go against Carson Palmer, you have a great chance at an INT for a TD.
This.

And take note that ARZ is starting a UDFA at LT this week and going forward to replace previous top 5 overall draft bust Levi Brown.

Atlanta and Carolina Schedule looks pretty darn good no?

Atl Schedule NYJ BYE TB @Ari @Car

Car Schedule @Ari @Min StL @TB Atl

i think that Cleveland is a really good play tonight - Football Outsiders has them ranked at #8 - and the majority of TNF games have below average scoring.

For you weather guys, tonight's game between the Bills and the Browns calls for severe thunderstorms. :)
Where are you seeing that? Im seeing 75 degrees with 0% precip........................
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=44101&hourly=1&yday=275&weekday=Thursday

93% cloudy, 50% chance of rain, 5-10 MPH winds. I can't make it rain. I can only say that people said it was going to rain. :)

I am going with the Rams this week. I also have Shorts and MJD on my roster though, so it could be an odd day if I start them too.

Blackmon being back is good, but he really didn't click much with GAbbert. That offense will be terrible as long as he is QB.

Sticking to my guns in tenn. Vs KC. Alex smith is coming off of a sloppy turnover liked game vs a bad defense. Tenn. D has been playing lights out all year. KC offense isn't built to score a lot of pts. I expect a low scoring game with ferocious defense and maybe a few turnovers in each side.

Fitzpatrick scares me. I can see him turning the ball over to that KC pass rush an putting tenn defense in a bad field position. That's the only negative I can think of. Otherwise tenn is a solid atty to grab off the wire.

Im going with mia vs balt. I think a high risk high reward is nyg. Balt has struggled on offense and has won games on defense. I expect the fins front to dominate the balt oline.

Any opinions on Houston's D? Currently sitting on Baltimore who is matched up against Mia and Houston against the 49ers this week. Assuming Cushings is cleared are they a safe pickup against the 49ers?
Houston has not been very good this year. I dropped them going against the 49ers and prefer the Titans vs KC

Rolling Buffalo Bills defense this week. Anyone with me?
I did :topcat: oof! The logic seemed solid, especially given the history of sloppy Thursday games.

I had used the Bills a couple of weeks ago against the Jets and still had them rostered. Decided to stick with them, even though Panthers and Browns were available on my waiver wire. :ptts:

Much like QBBC, DTBC is proving to be much more difficult in practice than in theory, at least for me.

So with Finnegan out and I think their 3rd string DB is their DB1 today

For those who picked up the Rams...you guys still rolling with them?

I drafted the Rams, dropped them after a crap start, picked them up again this week for the matchup. They'll likely suck again, but no way am I starting Cincy vs Pats when I know it'll mean 2-4 pts max from my DST. It's fine if Jax scores some, but Rams need to get some sacks, turn-overs

Rolling with Saints this week, but with their bye coming up, and SF available on the WW, I will definitely be considering swapping them out for SF next week.

I drafted the Rams, dropped them after a crap start, picked them up again this week for the matchup. They'll likely suck again, but no way am I starting Cincy vs Pats when I know it'll mean 2-4 pts max from my DST. It's fine if Jax scores some, but Rams need to get some sacks, turn-overs
Haha, I drafted Cinci and the Rams too. Bengals doing well so far though.

Rams have played better offenses than ALT has, and put up better sack/TO numbers. Havent looked at it but think Blackmons good numbers have been with Henne. Rams just came off a big whooping, had an extra 3 days rest, at home too....Blaine Gabbert is just too tempting.
ATL not lookin good. Glad went Rams

Users who are viewing this thread