What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rent a Defense Week 8 (1 Viewer)

lowman2

Footballguy
Looks like a very Cloudy week for Rent a D. With so many bye weeks. Who you guys got?

NO vs Buf.

Phil, vs NYG

Oak vs. Pit

Cincy: Probably owned in most, maybe a frustrated owner cuts after Detroit (or were expecting more @ Buffalo week prior). Geno was pretty rough @ NE and TN before playing well @ ATL (as much a product on how poor the ATL D is IMO)

Carolina stands out but I would expect them ownedas well now as they played STL this week.

New Orleans look nice as well and most likely available with Week 7 bye.

Last edited by a moderator:
Carolina for sure. They're in Tampa but I cant imagine it being a hostile environment on a Thursday night there. Plus no Doug Martin

I'll add the Giants. Either Barkley or a less than 100% Vick next week. Giants D has been pretty bad so far, but they could be servicable next week.

It won't help this week, but if you have the space available, I think the Colts are a really good team to pick up while they're on the bye. The have a nice stretch of games starting in week 9, and they've been really solid so far.

My top choices right now are...

Jets @ Bengals (Doesn't look great, but the Jets have been playing really solid defense)

Saints vs. Bills (They've cooled off a bit, but it's a decent matchup. The Bills have hurt me a bit this season when I've chosen teams against them, however)

Falcons @ Cardinals (Another rough looking option, but Palmer is a mess)

yep Carolina is the play

3rd against the pass 7th against the rush. rookie rb replacing doug

they'll be airing it out all day to vjax its whether or not Carolina d can defend against this

I took Green Bay off the wires after week 6, I figure I'll play them again for week 8 against Minnesota.

How do you guys feel about Rent-a-Defenses that play against your core starters? Because of byes, I'm using Greg Jennings in week 8, for example, and he goes up against Green Bay. Do situations like that factor into your choice of defense to stream?

I took Green Bay off the wires after week 6, I figure I'll play them again for week 8 against Minnesota.

How do you guys feel about Rent-a-Defenses that play against your core starters? Because of byes, I'm using Greg Jennings in week 8, for example, and he goes up against Green Bay. Do situations like that factor into your choice of defense to stream?
No not really. Maybe an effect with QBs more so, but definitely not with a WR. I want what I think is going to be the best lineup out there every week.

I have Chicago who are going on bye in a couple of leagues, what's people's take on them going forward, decent enough to hold for one week while I rent Carolina/Nola etc or expendable?

It won't help this week, but if you have the space available, I think the Colts are a really good team to pick up while they're on the bye. The have a nice stretch of games starting in week 9, and they've been really solid so far.

My top choices right now are...

Jets @ Bengals (Doesn't look great, but the Jets have been playing really solid defense)

Saints vs. Bills (They've cooled off a bit, but it's a decent matchup. The Bills have hurt me a bit this season when I've chosen teams against them, however)

Falcons @ Cardinals (Another rough looking option, but Palmer is a mess)
As a Falcons fan, I suggest you stay away from their defense.

If New Orleans is available they play Buffalo then they play the Jets the next week making them a 2 week play

I have Chicago who are going on bye in a couple of leagues, what's people's take on them going forward, decent enough to hold for one week while I rent Carolina/Nola etc or expendable?
That depends on your scoring rules. If your league has points or negative points for yards and points given up, Chicago is very risky. They are atrocious right now, and have a TON of guys injured.

After the last few weeks, I'm sticking with Carolina this week, and might just keep them for a while. (ATL & SF will be rough, but past that it's the mediocre offenses of NE & MIA and TB twice)

Maybe Philly (vs NYG) or GB (@ MIn), especially if their opponents look pretty awful tonight. Possibly either side of the PIT-OAK contest. ATL might be okay if all else fails.

buck naked said:
titusbramble said:
That depends on your scoring rules. If your league has points or negative points for yards and points given up, Chicago is very risky. They are atrocious right now, and have a TON of guys injured.
thanks - it's primarily standard yahoo so nothing for yardage and only serious negative is a -4 for over 35 points conceded. i think i'm primarily looking at the week 12-16 run in where they play a LOT of bad quarterbacks/teams in general and i have roster space that i can burn for a short while

MattFancy said:
rascal said:
Pats vs Miami for me
I dunno. Pats defense didn't look good yesterday. Not that Miami is a high power offense, but the Pats just have too many injuries on defense to trust right now.
I thought the Pats played their worst defensive game of the season against the Jets (especially in the second half and OT) but they had their best fantasy day of the season.

TDs sure are nice.

Here's the top four choices based on who is available in my 14 team league:

Eagles (vs. Giants)

Saints (vs. Bills)

Raiders (vs. Steelers)

Falcons (@ Cardinals)

I'm discounting the Falcons a little because of the distance they need to travel. I like the Eagles because the Giants have a short week. I like the Raiders because of the distance PIT needs to go, but I'm a little wary since the Raiders have a weak rush defense and Le'Veon Bell has been doing good--I think they'll ride him.

However I think the "no brainer" pick is the New Orleans Saints. The Bills seem very beat up on offense and aren't starting anywhere near full strength. I also think the Saints offense will control TOP.

I drafted the Texans with the hopes of not having to do this!! Gave up on those bums two weeks ago! 1/1 with my rent a d strategy - The Pats gave me 12 last week :)

This week it has to be the Saints home against Buffalo fresh from a bye!

I'd put the Steelers down as an option in larger leagues. Their D has been playing better and while Pryor has been impressive so far the Raiders are hardly an offensive juggernaut.

Eagles (vs. Giants)

Saints (vs. Bills)

Raiders (vs. Steelers)

Falcons (@ Cardinals)

I'm discounting the Falcons a little because of the distance they need to travel. I like the Eagles because the Giants have a short week. I like the Raiders because of the distance PIT needs to go, but I'm a little wary since the Raiders have a weak rush defense and Le'Veon Bell has been doing good--I think they'll ride him.

However I think the "no brainer" pick is the New Orleans Saints. The Bills seem very beat up on offense and aren't starting anywhere near full strength. I also think the Saints offense will control TOP.
I think the smart move is to hang on to the Patriots if you have them. They are a pretty consistent unit and have Miami and Pittsburgh the next two weeks.

Raiders at home against the weak Steelers O-line, seriously. This is not a homer call. Coming off a bye and getting tabbed a 3 pt dog, they are dangerous. Look at the fantasy scoring, and Raiders DST is among the best available and they are on your wire almost for sure.

Cleveland v. KC

KC doesn't score too much and Cleveland defense has actually kept them in this week. I am hoping for one week as I am trying to sneak Colts onto my roster on the bye because they seem to have a pretty favorable schedule. After the bye I will try to grab San Diego again if I have roster space.

Eagles (vs. Giants)

Saints (vs. Bills)

Raiders (vs. Steelers)

Falcons (@ Cardinals)

I think the smart move is to hang on to the Patriots if you have them. They are a pretty consistent unit and have Miami and Pittsburgh the next two weeks.
Debating this myself.....hang on to NE for this week or try to grab the saints. MIA tends to always play them tough but they have been pretty good so far and Maimi could give up a DTD.

Top tier:

GB

CAR

NO

Next tier:

NYG (depending on the PHI QB situation)

OAK

PHI

As was already mentioned once, the ATL defense really shouldn't be on the radar, especially on the road. They have been, for the most part, terrible this year. Unless none of the above are available, I'd stay away.

Edit: Tiers are in no particular order. In other words, I think GB, CAR, and NO are clearly the top three choices this week. I think my top choice might actually be the Saints, but after last night, I'd be hard-pressed not to take GB. The Vikings are brutal right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been rolling with Carolina and will this week as well, but I just picked up Arizona. Like how their schedules compliment and hope they keep playing at a high level the rest of the year:

8: CAR @ TB
9: CAR vs ATL
10: ARI vs HOU
11: ARI @ JAX
12: CAR @ MIA
13: CAR vs TB
14: ARI vs STL
15: CAR vs NYJ
16: Neither. I'll worry about getting here first.

Surprised at so much optimism about Carolina this week. Short week, road game, and Glennon has not been as bad in terms of sacks taken and turnovers as I would have thought.

I think the Saints are the obvious rent-a-D option this week. Lewis has been taking 4-5 sacks per week and is on the road and will be behind, probably by a lot.

Surprised at so much optimism about Carolina this week. Short week, road game, and Glennon has not been as bad in terms of sacks taken and turnovers as I would have thought.

I think the Saints are the obvious rent-a-D option this week. Lewis has been taking 4-5 sacks per week and is on the road and will be behind, probably by a lot.
Carolina D has been really good this season. In my league, they're the #4 D/ST. Sure this may not be as juciy of a matchup as the Saints have, but the Bucs just lost Martin and Glennon is still a rookie. Look at the defense's he's played so far: Atlanta and Philly. Not exactly top of the line defenses there. Carolina has been pretty consistent this season and I'd expect their D to have another solid outing this week.

The Cowboy defense is on my ww. They play Detroit this week, which isn't the best matchup...but I looked at the ytd stats and they are top 5 in my league. My other choice is the Saints who play against the Cutler-less Bears this week. Better matchup this week?

The Cowboy defense is on my ww. They play Detroit this week, which isn't the best matchup...but I looked at the ytd stats and they are top 5 in my league. My other choice is the Saints who play against the Cutler-less Bears this week. Better matchup this week?
The Saints play the Bills. If the Saints are on your WW this week, pick them up.

Carolina D has been really good this season. In my league, they're the #4 D/ST. Sure this may not be as juciy of a matchup as the Saints have, but the Bucs just lost Martin and Glennon is still a rookie. Look at the defense's he's played so far: Atlanta and Philly. Not exactly top of the line defenses there. Carolina has been pretty consistent this season and I'd expect their D to have another solid outing this week.
I know everybody has a different scoring system. In my league Carolina is 13th in scoring and they have had only two above average weeks, both in home games. As a general rule I try not to start defenses which are on the road, and I also am very reluctant to start a Thursday night defense (assuming the team played the previous Sunday). The Panthers fall into both categories this week. But if you start them, I wish you good luck!

MattFancy said:
The Saints play the Bills. If the Saints are on your WW this week, pick them up.
Thanks for this....I appreciate it.

One other thought - what about GB playing against the Vikes - with Freeman concussed, I can see Ponder having a confidence problem and getting rattled. I might pick them up over Saints.

have you watched any thursday night games?

I dropped them in a few league and don't expect them to be a hot add unless they have a great match up. I've moved on, and officially consider them no better than any other WWStream DST.

This week the Saints look like the best play. Coming off a bye week against a banged up Bills team that will likely be playing from behind from the minute they enter the Superdome . . . yes, please!

I like either team in the Steelers / Raiders game. I'd lean towards the Steelers since their DST has been playing decent the last few weeks.

Packers D looks good but I'm not sure Freeman is actually as bad as he looked in his first game with Minnesota.

Surprised that Car is on so many leagues waivers. Long gone in mine.

I for one grabbed Philly this week. Had the Vikings last week against a poor Giants offense AND special teams and they responded with a 12pt outing (above avg) and let several opportunities including an easy pick six get away. I can only imagine that the Eagles will at least have a chance to do the same.

I ended up going with the Saints. It has more to do with their performance so far as a defense than it does with the Bills as an opponent. I've targeted the Bills two weeks in a row and the results weren't that great. I just think the Saints are a solid unit and they make big plays...so I"m going with them.

I also made the move to grab the Colts for the second half of the season. With their upcoming games, they may be my defense for the entire rest of the season.

Anybody thinking Arizona D/ST can get some decent points this week? They are at home and I don't think Matt Ryan plays as good as he did last week. I also think Palmer should get some better drives going so the D isn't always on the field.

It's either them or the Eagles for me, and with Baas out, I may go with the obvious Eagles pick but am not sure yet.

Hit the jackpot. Picked up Dallas and Carolina. Carolina this week, Dallas next, going to have to choose on some tough matchups in 10/11, but nice choices after that.

I don't know if I have the roster space for a 3rd D on that 10/11 window lol, may be looking at Car vs SF and Car vs NE

I ended up going with the Saints. It has more to do with their performance so far as a defense than it does with the Bills as an opponent. I've targeted the Bills two weeks in a row and the results weren't that great. I just think the Saints are a solid unit and they make big plays...so I"m going with them.

I also made the move to grab the Colts for the second half of the season. With their upcoming games, they may be my defense for the entire rest of the season.
Went with the Saints as well. They've had two weeks to prepare and should have a good day against the Bills.

Users who are viewing this thread