What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Roethlisberger Head Injury (1 Viewer)

Doesn't he have a plate in his head from that motorcycle wreck a few years back? This makes me very nervous... Ben's been a gem for me almost all year... I lost Ronnie Brown and Dwayne Bowe last week. Please... let's be alright.

Doesn't he have a plate in his head from that motorcycle wreck a few years back? This makes me very nervous... Ben's been a gem for me almost all year... I lost Ronnie Brown and Dwayne Bowe last week. Please... let's be alright.
:goodposting: I hope he is all right as well. I got lucky this week in that I had Bowe and Brown as well, but Kevin Smith stepped up well this week. I like having Cutler and Roethlisberger and being able to play matchups as it has been very nice all but last week. Losing Bowe, Brown and Roethlisberger for a couple games would be very hard to get through every week.

Roethlisberger appears okay after game

Sunday, November 22, 2009

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who left today's game in overtime after taking a blow to the head, appeared to be lucid in the Steelers locker room after their 27-24 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs.

"Needless to say, it was a concussion-oriented thing, so I doubt he was going to come back into the football game,'' coach Mike Tomlin said.

However, Roethlisberger told the Post-Gazette as he pulled on his dress suit in the locker room that while he did not know if he received a concussion or not, he felt okay.

Roethlisberger left the game with 12:21 remaining in overtime after he scrambled and was sacked near midfield. Linebacker Derrick Johnson's knee inadvertently hit Roethlisberger in the head as the quarterback hit the ground.

Charlie Batch entered the game at that point, the first time the veteran backup has taken a snap since the 2007 season.

Starting left guard Chris Kemoeatu also left the game with a sprained MCL in his right knee. A similar injury kept safety Troy Polamalu sidelined for four games but offensive lineman normally can return more quickly because of the nature of the position. However, Kemoeatu is still likely to miss a couple of games with the injury.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09326/10155...m#ixzz0XdNCRhKm

Not trying to be forum police, but can the OP fix the spelling of Ben's name in the title for future searching, please?

Hey looked real foggy on the sidelines. As a Steeler fan, I'm worried that he misses next week too.
Steeler fan here too and I'm not that worried, they showed him on the sidelines and he didn't look that bad while he was talking to a trainer while sitting down, looks to me he's gonna be ok but hopefully no bad news comes out.

workdog3 said:
stbugs said:
I hope he is all right as well. I got lucky this week in that I had Bowe and Brown as well, but Kevin Smith stepped up well this week. I like having Cutler and Roethlisberger and being able to play matchups as it has been very nice all but last week. Losing Bowe, Brown and Roethlisberger for a couple games would be very hard to get through every week.
Keep us posted as new info comes in on this.
:popcorn: Dude. stop trying to be funny. I was posting a reply to someone in the exact same situation as me, not to you. Feel free to contribute something useful next time. Most people just ignore a post that they don't care about.

workdog3 said:
stbugs said:
I hope he is all right as well. I got lucky this week in that I had Bowe and Brown as well, but Kevin Smith stepped up well this week. I like having Cutler and Roethlisberger and being able to play matchups as it has been very nice all but last week. Losing Bowe, Brown and Roethlisberger for a couple games would be very hard to get through every week.
Keep us posted as new info comes in on this.
:rant: Dude. stop trying to be funny. I was posting a reply to someone in the exact same situation as me, not to you. Feel free to contribute something useful next time. Most people just ignore a post that they don't care about.
I totally agree with you here.Can you share some of the past tough luck stories you've been involved in over the years?

Per Fanball:

Ben Roethlisberger : Prognosis good for Big Ben

11/23/2009 07:53 AM

THE NEWS

Ben Roethlisberger was "lucid" in the locker room after his overtime concussion in the Steelers' loss to the Chiefs on Sunday, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

OUR VIEW

He suffered the concussion after getting kneed in the head by Chiefs linebacker Derrick Johnson. Unlike most concussion sufferers, he looks like he will not have to miss any game time.

Glad to see people aren't really concerned about anything but their fantasy team. I hope Roethlisberger is okay long term since he's had a history of concussions. I'd hate to see such a talented player get his career cut short with second impact or anything of the like. Hopefully the Steelers will take every precaution to make sure he gets healthy.

Roethlisberger told the Post-Gazette as he pulled on his dress suit in the locker room that while he did not know if he received a concussion or not, he felt okay.
This doesn't mean much at all. The data on repeated concussive head injuries is pretty frightening. With a history of past concussions, the NFL should play it safe on this. Don't be surprised if he sits next week.

I am a little concerned here only because Big Ben has had his bell rung on a regular basis, including the accident.

During SNF last night the announcers were talking about a new rule by the commissioner stating that players with concussions could not return to any game until a third-party neurologist (not the team doctor) cleared them. I guess this rule is in effect immediately?

I think it is a good rule for the protection of players.

Glad to see people aren't really concerned about anything but their fantasy team. I hope Roethlisberger is okay long term since he's had a history of concussions. I'd hate to see such a talented player get his career cut short with second impact or anything of the like. Hopefully the Steelers will take every precaution to make sure he gets healthy.
:rolleyes: I think it's assumed the FF community hopes he's ok in real life.

I've always thought that the way Ben plays, he's going to have a shorter career than many QBs. What makes him so successful is also what gets him hurt.One could say not sliding on that play (got a concussion on a scramble and he dove head first) was foolish, but you take that attitude and style away and I'm guessing he wouldn't be the QB he is.

Does anybody think Dixon has what it takes to be successful as a fill in?
No.I'm guessing Ben plays against the Ravens and they sign a vet FA to act as the #3.
:thumbup: Dixon is not ready, especially in primetime on the road against the Ravens, for a game that has playoff implications.

Then again if Ben can't go the Steelers have no other choice this week. Even a vet like Garcia would need a little time to learn the system.

:thumbup: I think it's assumed the FF community hopes he's ok in real life.
I wouldn't make that assumption.

:jawdrop: I think it's assumed the FF community hopes he's ok in real life.
I think you're taking it a little too far. What are the chances that Ben checks this thread to see if we are wishing him well and a quick recovery? So it basically boils down to an exercise in trying to impress each other with our humanity and capacity for caring and not taking the game too seriously. Why else would we take time and effort to express our hopes for Ben when he isn't going to come find them here? You are making an assumption that someone who doesn't feel compelled to express such sentiments doesn't have them. It could be that they just don't feel the need to get your endorsement of their level of caring.I say this as a recovering well-wisher. Now, I just save it for the party needing it. :lol:

Roethlisberger told the Post-Gazette as he pulled on his dress suit in the locker room that while he did not know if he received a concussion or not, he felt okay.

that worries me

with batch being out, I don't want Ben to have a concussion, not have it officially diagnosed, and try to tough it out.

Hopefully he and the team are smart enough to play it safe here.

:( I think it's assumed the FF community hopes he's ok in real life.
Ya I agree, why would I care about roffleburgers real life? I don't know him. Anyways, back to topic at hand, he gonna suck it up and play next week or what? Need to know for my fantasy team cause that's all that matters.

Ben should give serious consideration to retirement. If you've ever seen footage of interviews with older retired players who suffered several concussions over the years, you'd know why. They often don't appear to have their mental faculties working. Even if he was fit to play right away, we're talking about serious permanent damage to the brain from all these concussions. Its just not worth it, IMO.

The NFL also has a history of underplaying concussions. The team doctor will be like "oh he had his bell rung he'll be fine". Then the truth comes out 20 years later, only by that time the brain is too far gone to matter. Don't wait until you're in your mid-30s Ben, just walk away now.

Last edited by a moderator:
A buddy of mine just said he heard on ESPN that Ben will miss 2-3 weeks?!?! I can't get ESPN radio here at work and am curious if this is true or not?

A buddy of mine just said he heard on ESPN that Ben will miss 2-3 weeks?!?! I can't get ESPN radio here at work and am curious if this is true or not?
ESPN Radio in Pittsburgh reported earlier the Steelers will not be updating the status of their injuries until tomorrow's press conference.

ESPN Radio in Pittsburgh reported earlier the Steelers will not be updating the status of their injuries until tomorrow's press conference.
OK, cool. I sorta figured if what this guy was saying was true it would have already been up here in the SP. In fact, I called BS on him right away for that reason. But wanted to double check to be sure.

I may be in the minority, but I think Jeff Garcia would be a TERRIBLE fit for the Steelers' offense. Noodle Arm has no place in an offense predicated on throwing the ball 20+ yards downfield.

Unless they intend to start running the ball 60% of the time, or are going to start featuring the bubble screen exclusively, they're probably better off going with the guy who's been in the system two years and can throw it further than the feet of the OL. Either way, if Roethlisberger is out for 3 weeks, it's almost certainly not going to matter.

I may be in the minority, but I think Jeff Garcia would be a TERRIBLE fit for the Steelers' offense. Noodle Arm has no place in an offense predicated on throwing the ball 20+ yards downfield.Unless they intend to start running the ball 60% of the time, or are going to start featuring the bubble screen exclusively, they're probably better off going with the guy who's been in the system two years and can throw it further than the feet of the OL. Either way, if Roethlisberger is out for 3 weeks, it's almost certainly not going to matter.
All signs point to them rolling with Ben and Dennis Dixon. Ben should be cleared to start and Dennis Dixon will be #2. They may sign a wiley veteren, and I also hope it won't be Garcia..

All signs point to them rolling with Ben and Dennis Dixon. Ben should be cleared to start and Dennis Dixon will be #2. They may sign a wiley veteren, and I also hope it won't be Garcia..
I'd rather they signed you again, Mike, over Garcia. The Steelers miss your Ken Doll hair and easy good looks(to say nothing of the ghastly interceptions as the worst possible times.)Garcia DOES have a hot wife that may get some face-time if they signed him, but that's about his only redeeming quality at this point from where I'm sitting.

I'd rather they signed you again, Mike, over Garcia. The Steelers miss your Ken Doll hair and easy good looks(to say nothing of the ghastly interceptions as the worst possible times.)Garcia DOES have a hot wife that may get some face-time if they signed him, but that's about his only redeeming quality at this point from where I'm sitting.
I retired as a Steeler back in 2001, but the urge is still there. With this offensive line Id be dead meat.

People, has anyone considered the fact that he might not have had a concussion anyways? He didnt display any of the signs you expect and Just cause you get smoked on a sack doesn't mean you have a concussion.

People, has anyone considered the fact that he might not have had a concussion anyways? He didnt display any of the signs you expect and Just cause you get smoked on a sack doesn't mean you have a concussion.
Well, he got kneed in the head and his coach is calling the injury "concussion oriented", for whatever that's worth.

Users who are viewing this thread