What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rolando McClain arrested (1 Viewer)

Very disappointing. Ro has been in trouble many times over the years...but really seemed to have matured and blossomed under Saban's wing.Now that he's out on his own with money...right back to where he started.
:lmao:
:goodposting: Anyone who trusts Saban is a fool.
:rolleyes:
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Yeah, I know I know, all that matters is winning.
Jaded Dolphins fan? Jealous fan of school that has a "great guy" coach but an average football team?Saban was hired to win games and thats what he does. He's also stayed at Alabama long enough to honor his committments to his players and he creates the perfect environment for a player to come, succeed and then ultimately go play in the NFL if they want to.
U of M and GB Packer fan. Just calling a :spade: a :spade: here.

Very disappointing. Ro has been in trouble many times over the years...but really seemed to have matured and blossomed under Saban's wing.Now that he's out on his own with money...right back to where he started.
Anyone with the name "Scrumptrulescent" as their posting name is an ### clown. :goodposting:
Well kencav, apparently you're not a Will Ferrell fan.

Statement from R McClain’s attorney Billy C. Burney II said the linebacker denies he fired a gun and said he was not involved in the fight.2 hours ago Retweeted by @CorkOnTheNFL
Now he's denying the incident pretty much in its entirety. But there's too much physical evidence and they can always check the gun residue on his hands. This sounds like the locals just want to let all this go as an argument gone too far, but if McClain is telling lies, he's digging himself a deeper grave.

Jaded Dolphins fan? Jealous fan of school that has a "great guy" coach but an average football team?Saban was hired to win games and thats what he does. He's also stayed at Alabama long enough to honor his committments to his players and he creates the perfect environment for a player to come, succeed and then ultimately go play in the NFL if they want to.
Well thanks for your opinion. I'm sure all the Bama players who are about to compete for a 2nd national championship and then go on to get drafted in the NFL are really sad that they listened to coach Saban, the fool you can never trust.

Well thanks for your opinion. I'm sure all the Bama players who are about to compete for a 2nd national championship and then go on to get drafted in the NFL are really sad that they listened to coach Saban, the fool you can never trust.
Guess I touched a nerve. :lmao:

I'll wait till we know all the facts of the case however this could be a brutal blow to the Raiders defense as they make the push to the playoffs. Reggie Bush should be nudged up the rankings 1 or 2 spots this week...
You may be right there. Blackstock sometimes just doesn't cut it in his place. :unsure:

I'll wait till we know all the facts of the case however this could be a brutal blow to the Raiders defense as they make the push to the playoffs. Reggie Bush should be nudged up the rankings 1 or 2 spots this week...
You may be right there. Blackstock sometimes just doesn't cut it in his place. :unsure:
:goodposting: The 2 games McClain has missed (going back to last year) the Raiders have allowed 533 yds rushing. :unsure:

No...just yourself :excited:

Never speak negatively of Lord Saban. You should try living here and dealing with this crap every day. I live in Decatur, and I've always heard that McClain was a punk. Lots of stuff gets covered up being a star athlete in high school and at Bama.

:confused:
Never speak negatively of Lord Saban. You should try living here and dealing with this crap every day. I live in Decatur, and I've always heard that McClain was a punk. Lots of stuff gets covered up being a star athlete in high school and at Bama.
Link? :confused:

I've always heard the same regarding McClain. Don't know what that has to do with Saban though.

:confused:

Link? :confused:
Link to the rumors? I'm not sure how that works. I can call my friend that teaches at McClain's high school. :)

- Football APR improved from 413 to 463 in Sabans tenure- Football Graduation Rate improved from under 40% to 69% in Sabans tenure

- including Ro, arrests have almost disappeared from the Shula era

But other than that...winning is all that matters.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Hipple said:
'helix said:
Anyone familiar with the gun laws in Alabama? I would guess they are much less harsh than say NYC-
lolI'd say so...

It's not like he killed a tree or anything...

McClain, 22, was charged with third-degree assault, menacing, reckless endangerment and discharging a firearm inside the city limits, all of which are misdemeanors, police said. He was in Decatur City Jail this afternoon on bonds totaling $2,000.

Well-known Huntsville criminal defense attorney Mark McDaniel said the charges against McClain are misdemeanors and if he is convicted, McClain is unlikely to face jail time.

"Of course it's up to a judge, but assuming he has no prior criminal record, the charges are not that serious," McDaniel said. "DA's and judges see whole lot worse, and if this is put in the same categories with what other people are charged with, he's not looking at serving any time, if he is convicted."

McDaniel said since the charges are misdemeanors, if McClain were convicted and ordered to serve jail time, it would be in a city or county jail, not an Alabama prison.
shooting a gun past a guy's head is third-degree assault?
I guess so. assault is generally 'threatening someone with imminent bodily harm'.

2006 Alabama Code - Section 13A-6-22 — Assault in the third degree.

(a) A person commits the crime of assault in the third degree if:(1) With intent to cause physical injury to another person, he causes physical injury to any person; or

(2) He recklessly causes physical injury to another person; or

(3) With criminal negligence he causes physical injury to another person by means of a deadly weapon or a dangerous instrument; or

(4) With intent to prevent a peace officer from performing a lawful duty, he causes physical injury to any person.

(b) Assault in the third degree is a Class A misdemeanor.

(Acts 1977, No. 607, p. 812, §2103.)

For comparison here is second degree assault. Since the media reports probably would have included it if he actually caused serious physical harm to the victim it likely didn't qualify.

2006 Alabama Code - Section 13A-6-21 — Assault in the second degree.

Share|(a) A person commits the crime of assault in the second degree if the person does any of the following:

(1) With intent to cause serious physical injury to another person, he or she causes serious physical injury to any person.

(2) With intent to cause physical injury to another person, he or she causes physical injury to any person by means of a deadly weapon or a dangerous instrument.

(3) He or she recklessly causes serious physical injury to another person by means of a deadly weapon or a dangerous instrument.

(4) With intent to prevent a peace officer, as defined in Section 36-21-60, or emergency medical personnel or a firefighter from performing a lawful duty, he or she intends to cause physical injury and he or she causes physical injury to any person.

(5) With intent to cause physical injury to a teacher or to an employee of a public educational institution during or as a result of the performance of his or her duty, he or she causes physical injury to any person.

(6) For a purpose other than lawful medical or therapeutic treatment, he or she intentionally causes stupor, unconsciousness, or other physical or mental impairment or injury to another person by administering to him or her, without his or her consent, a drug, substance or preparation capable of producing the intended harm.

(b) Assault in the second degree is a Class C felony.

(Acts 1977, No. 607, p. 812, §2102; Acts 1994, 1st Ex. Sess., No. 94-794, §1; Acts 1996, No. 96-533, p. 744, §1.)

I don't see any compelling evidence that suggests that McClain's side of the story will exonerate him. What he did, even if it was in defense of a family member or some other justifiable reason crossed the line when he fired the gun past the friend's ear. Not that pistol whipping is ever considered a viable choice of self defense. Add to that the in the arrest photo, he's clearly smiling at the camera in a gangsta FTW pose. I have no sympathy for him, and if he gets the book thrown at him, he deserves it. :thumbdown:

Alabama TV station interviews alleged McClain victimBy Jerry McDonald - NFL WriterThursday, December 1st, 2011 at 9:31 pm in Oakland Raiders.According to the Alabama TV station WAFF, the alleged victim in the case which left Raiders linebacker Rolando McClain with four misdemeanor charges is Rishard Tapscott, who told the station he was he was a longtime friend of McClain's.Tapscott, 23, said said he had several broken ribs, a concussion and is having trouble talking out of the right side of his mouth, the station reported."I went over there, it was basically like an ambush, like they set me up to fight, because as soon as I got there they all went outside and I was sitting in the house," Tapscott said. "That's when they came back in the house and they were like, 'You're going to have to fight, come back out and fight.' I was like 'I ain't fighting, I ain't coming outside,' and that's when he came in the house and assaulted me," said Papscott."[Wednesday] night, before all the charges were pressed, I didn't want him [McClain] to get in trouble because I look at him like a brother, as a friend. I never thought it would come to this. What goes around comes around."
that sounds like it could be serious physical injury to me? lol at alabama.

I'll wait till we know all the facts of the case however this could be a brutal blow to the Raiders defense as they make the push to the playoffs.

Reggie Bush should be nudged up the rankings 1 or 2 spots this week...
:goodposting: The 2 games McClain has missed (going back to last year) the Raiders have allowed 533 yds rushing. :unsure:
FWIW

ALAMEDA, Calif. (AP) – Oakland coach Hue Jackson said he is disturbed by the allegations against the Raiders' Rolando McClain but hasn't ruled the second-year linebacker out for Sunday's game in Miami.

McClain was arrested Thursday on misdemeanor assault, firearms and other charges after police said he fired a gun during a fight in his Alabama hometown. The eighth overall pick in the 2010 draft, McClain later posted $2,000 bail and was released.

Before McClain was arrested, Jackson said he expected him to play against the Dolphins. Jackson backed off those comments a day later after learning more details about the incident.

Interesting. This is just a blog, but fwiw.

Rolando McClain's Poor Judgment Likely Won't Keep Him From Field This Season

Rolando McClain is guilty of using horrible judgment. There is no denying that. To what degree, we can't be as certain.

The degree to which McClain was a bonehead, combined with the ability of his legal team, and his attitude going forward, will greatly affect his future with the Raiders. This is not going to be a speedy trial.

What We Know

McClain was arrested Thursday on misdemeanor assault, menacing, reckless endangerment and firing a gun inside the city limits. According to a statement released by Lt. John Crouch of the Decatur Police Department, it is alleged that Ro held a gun beside a man's head during an altercation and the man begged him not to shoot.

Not shockingly, McClain's attorney Billy C. Burney II has a different side to the story, "Mr. McClain asserts his innocence. We are confident that Mr. McClain will be cleared of all charges."

A transcript of the 9-1-1 call aligns with the accusation of a shot being fired from close range. The caller was from a neighboring house and too far away to ID a specific person. No weapon has been found.

Rolando is currently free on a $2,000 bond.

Possible Suspension

There does not appear to be any clear cut evidence at this point. Any criminal charges that Ro faces likely won't be until after the season, and given that they are all misdemeanors, and Ro is likely going to receive some excellent legal counsel, I expect his sentence, if any, will be probation, community service etc.. *Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

Now, Roger Goodell certainly doesn't need guilty verdicts to suspend players. He can toss down suspension under the umbrella of "violating the league's personal-conduct policy" for essentially anything he wants, and without any adherence to precedence.

For instance, he suspended Ben Roethlisberger for six games after Ben was accused of sexually assaulting a woman in Georgia. That suspension was later reduced to four games. Big Ben was the first, and I believe only player, to be suspended even though he was not arrested, charged or convicted of a crime.

However, that was the second similar charge against Ben, and Goodell is not keen on repeat offenses. This is the first incident that McClain has been involved in as a pro that could be construed as him violating the personal conduct policy.

There is no way Goodell is going to let this slide without taking some kind of action. This picture sure as hell didn't help his cause with the league.

via p.twimg.com

Given that this is Ro's first run in with the conduct policy, my guess is that Goodell will let the legal process run its course, and wait for more information to come to light, which would mean that any suspension likely wouldn't be issued until next year.

It is almost guaranteed that Ro will play against Miami. The Raiders could suspend, but I can't see them doing that in a case where it is he said-he said. You better believe that they will have choice words and stern warnings. They may even decide to cut him in the offseason is they aren't satisfied with his attitude.

<br style="line-height: 0.75em; ">

But as far as the present goes, don't expect them to hand down any suspensions. Here is Hue Jackson when asked if McClain would. This was before McClain was arrested, but after the incident. <br style="line-height: 0.75em; "><br style="line-height: 0.75em; ">

As far as I know. I can tell you we understand and know exactly what's going on, and we feel very comfortable with our information and we don't have any further comment at this time.

Jerry Springer's Final Thought

I'm not going to believe anything anyone says. After an incident like this, it is very likely that both sides are embellishing the story in a way that suits them.

If a person was assaulted by a group of people that included Rolando McClain then it would be potentially financially beneficial for them to say McClain did something that caused "pain and suffering."

That doesn't mean they are lying, it just means I am not going to blindly believe it.

I will also say that I certainly don't want to believe it. Rolando has earned my respect on the field this year. He has been playing solid football while playing through a high ankle sprain, and this defense is way better when he is on the field.

In the two games he has not started since he arrived the Raiders have given up 299 yards rushing to the Broncos(this season) and 234 to the Jaguars (last season).

Guilty of these charges or not though, Rolando clearly needs to start making some choices in his life. His future in the league depends on it. If he wants to be great, then he needs to fully commit to football. That means practicing hard, and that means staying away from situations like this.

As much as I have admired his toughness on the field and his willingness to play through pain, I have never been sold on his drive to make himself better on non-game days. This incident certainly doesn't help dissuade me from that thought.

I am certainly open to him continuing being a Raider. He can learn from these mistakes, and be the kind of professional we'd all thought and hoped he'd be. Ray Lewis was in a similar situation, that had far more tragic results, and by all appearances he has altered his decision making to avoid similar kinds of problems.

However, I am skeptical that Ro' has learned his lesson. Ray Lewis had the threat of serious jail time to help aide him in the process of maturing into a professional.

My fear is that Ro' is the kind of entitled stubborn athlete that will continue to make poor choices because he believes he is good enough to succeed through them.

Rock Cartwright summed this up when asked at some point during the happenings of the day. Here is Rock, quoted from The Associated Press:

All you can do is tell them things, try to give them help, but if they don't want to be helped, then they won't be helped. Once he gets back, I'll try to put a bug in his ear and see what's going on.

Rolando strikes me as the kind of guy that doesn't want to be helped because he doesn't feel he needs it. I imagine Rock has a similar sentiment, or he wouldn't have phrased his comment that way.

Raiders' Hue Jackson uncertain whether Rolando McClain will play

By Jerry McDonald jmcdonald@bayareanewsgroup.comPosted: 12/02/2011 10:46:30 AM PSTUpdated: 12/02/2011 04:56:23 PM PST<br style="font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: medium; ">Although Rolando McClain hasn't been ruled out of Sunday's game in Miami, coach Hue Jackson made it clear he was disappointed in the conduct of his second-year middle linebacker.

"Here's the bottom line. There's a right way to do things and a wrong way to do things, and obviously there was something done wrong," Jackson said Friday. "So we'll go and deal with that accordingly from there."

Jackson said McClain was not at the team facility but expected a face-to-face meeting in several hours, presumably in Miami, where the Raiders were headed on a charter flight not long after practice concluded.

McClain was arrested and charged with third degree assault, reckless endangerment, menacing and discharging a firearm within city limits Thursday in his hometown of Decatur, Ala., where Jackson said he was attending the funeral of his grandfather.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the league will follow the legal process before making any determination on discipline for McClain.

"It will be reviewed under the personal conduct policy. We do not have an estimated timetable," Aiello said in an e-mail Friday. "It is a legal matter and we will follow developments."

Decatur defense attorney Billy C. Burney told the Associated Press McClain did not fire a gun and gave the following statement: "Mr. McClain asserts his innocence. We are confident Mr. McClain will be cleared of all charges."

Jackson said he was not inclined to wait for

either the NFL or the legal process before determining what was best for the Raiders.

"(I) have now gotten more information and can make a very informed decision on what I think is best for our team and I'll do that in the next day or so," Jackson said. "Obviously, there's a situation that happened and I've had an opportunity to digest it all.

"I have 52 other players that are doing things the right way and doing things as I see they should be doing it and we're getting ready to play a game. I will deal with Rolando when that time comes."

McClain was officially ruled as "questionable." If McClain doesn't play, Darryl Blackstock is next on the depth chart and would get playing time but defensive coordinator Chuck Bresnahan sounded prepared to go on without his starter.

"I'm not going to tell you exactly what we're going to do but we've got a couple of options and you'll see them," Bresnahan said.

For a brief sequence against Chicago, weakside linebacker Aaron Curry was playing as an inside linebacker along with five defensive backs.

Jackson said he is confident McClain's issues will not be a distraction, and Raiders players echoed that sentiment.

"We've got one game at the end of the week and that's our focus for the week," strong safety Tyvon Branch said. "Whatever happens during that week, we have to take care of business on Sundays."

Although the accuser was not named by police, he was identified and quoted by the television station WAFF and the Decatur Daily news as Rishard Tapscott, 23. Tapscott said he was beaten and at one point McClain put a gun to his head, pulled it away and then fired.

McClain and Jerradius Willingham, who was charged with assault and released on a $500 bond, were high school basketball teammates of Tapscott at Decatur High.

According to the Decatur Daily, officials at Decatur High requested that McClain not attend Friday night's game with superintendent Sam Houston telling the paper he doesn't think "it's the right kind of message to send" following the arrest.

"We're not going to let one thing bring down what we're accomplishing, by no stretch of the imagination," Jackson said. "Am I disappointed? Yes, just like anything. You get disappointed in your kids. All these guys are like my sons. And when they make mistakes, there's consequences and things you have to deal with."

Jackson plans on serious talk with McClain

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

Friday, December 2nd, 2011 at 12:37 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Middle linebacker Rolando McClain hasn’t been ruled out of Sunday’s game in Miami, but he can expect a serious conversation about his legal problems with head coach Hue Jackson.

“Here’s the bottom line. There’s a right way to do things and a wrong way to do things, and obviously there was something done wrong,’’ Jackson said following practice Friday. “So we’ll go and deal with that accordingly from there.’’

Jackson said McClain was not at the team facility but expected a face-to-face meeting in several hours. The Raiders boarded a charter for Miami following practice.

McClain was arrested and charged with third degree assault, reckless endangerment, meancing and discharging a firearm within city limits Wednesday in his hometown of Decatur, Ala., where he was attending the funeral of his grandfather.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the NFL will follow the legal process before making any determination on discipline for McClain.

“It will be reviewed under the league’s personal conduct policy we do not have an estimated timetable,’’ Aiello said in an e-mail Friday. “It is a legal matter and we will follow developments.’’

Decatur defense attorney Billy C. Burney told the Associated Press McClain did not fire a gun and gave the following statement: “Mr. McClain asserts his innocence. We are confident Mr. McClain will be cleared of all charges.’’

Jackson said he was not inclined to wait for either the NFL or the legal process before determining what was best for the Raiders.

“(I) have now gotten more information and can make a very informed decision on what I think is best for our team and I’ll do that in the next day or so,’’ Jackson said. “Obviously, there’s a situation that happened and I’ve had an opportunity to digest it all. The important thing is we focus on this game.

“I have 52 other players that are doing things the right way and doing things as I see they should be doing it and we’re getting ready to play a game. I will deal with Rolando when that time comes.’’

McClain was officially ruled as “questionable.’’ If McClain doesn’t play, Darryl Blackstock is next on the depth chart and would get playing time but defensive coordinator Chuck Bresnahan said there are other options in terms of aligments and packages if McClain doesn’t play.

Jackson said he is confident McClain’s issues will not be a distraction, and Raiders players echoed that sentiment.

“You can’t be affected by that,’’ quarterback Carson Palmer said. “You need to have your thoughts and prayers with he and his family at a tough time, but this team is 100 percent focused on the Miami Dolphins right now.’’

Said Raiders safety Tyvon Branch:

“We’ve got one game at the end of the week and that’s our focus for the week,’’ Branch said. “Whatever happens during that week, we have to channel that stuff out and take care of business on Sundays.’’

Although the accuser was not named by police, he was identified and quoted by the television station WAFF and the Decatur Daily news as Rishard Tapscott, 23.

McClain and Jerradius Willingham, who was charged with assault and released on a $500 bond, were high school basketball teammates Tapscott at Decatur High School.

In an interview with WAFF, Tapscott explained his side of the story.

“I went over there, it was basically like an ambush, like they set me up to fight, because as soon as I got there they all went outside and I was sitting in the house,’’ Tapscott said. “That’s when they came back in the house and they were like, `You’re going to have to fight, come back out and fight.’ I was like, `I ain’t fighting. I ain’t coming outside,’ and that’s when he came back in the house and assaulted me.’’

According to the police statement, Willingham initially fought with Tapscott, who then crawled to his car. It was at that point McClain allegedly put a gun to his head, with Tapscott begging for him not to shoot.

(Tapscott was referred to as the victim in the report, not by name).

It was then that McClain allegedly put a gun to his head, then pulled away and fired.

Jackson said he was disappointed McClain put himself in a bad situation.

“We’re not going to let one thing bring down what we’re accomplishing, by no stretch of the imagination,’’ Jackson said. “Am I disappointed? Yes, just like anything. You get disappointed in your kids. All these guys are like my sons. And when they make mistakes, there’s consequences and things you have to deal with.’’

McClain not on field as practice begins

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

Friday, December 2nd, 2011 at 10:44 am in Oakland Raiders.

Middle linebacker Rolando McClain was not on the field as warm-ups and drills concluded Friday morning and it’s not known whether he’ll make the trip to Miami after being arrested on four misdemeanor counts which included the firing of a weapon.

A Raiders official said he didn’t know whether McClain, who has missed practice time of late with an injured ankle, was at the team facility.

Raiders coach Hue Jackson will address the media following practice before the team boards a team charter to Miami for Sunday’s game against the Dolphins.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the NFL will follow the legal process before making any determination on discipline for McClain.

“It will be reviewed under the league’s personal conduct policy we do not have an estimated timetable,’’ Aiello said in an e-mail Friday. “It is a legal matter and we will follow developments.’’

McClain was charged with third degree assault, reckless endangerment, menacing and discharging of a firearm within the city limits after an incident Wednesday night in his hometown of Decatur, Ala.

Jackson said McClain was excused from the team to attend the funeral of his grandfather.

Decatur defense attorney Billy C. Burney told the Associated Press McClain did not fire a gun and gave the following statement: “Mr. McClain asserts his innocence. We are confident Mr. McClain will be cleared of all charges.

Although the accuser was not named by police, he was identified and quoted by the television station WAFF and the Decatur Daily news as Rishard Tapscott, 23.

McClain and Jerradius Willingham, who was charged with assault and released on a $500 bond, were high school basketball teammates Tapscott at Decatur High School.

In an interview with WAFF, Tapscott explained his side of the story.

“I went over there, it was basically like an ambush, like they set me up to fight, because as soon as I got there they all went outside and I was sitting in the house,’’ Tapscott said. “That’s when they came back in the house and they were like, `You’re going to have to fight, come back out and fight.’ I was like, `I ain’t fighting. I ain’t coming outside,’ and that’s when he came back in the house and assaulted me.’’

There was no change in the status of the Raiders’ prominent injured players other than Richard Seymour was on the field and suited up, making it likely he will resume his role as a nickel interior pass rusher against Miami.

Running back Darren McFadden and wide receivers Denarius Moore and Jacoby Ford, all with foot or ankle issues, have not practiced all week and almost certainly will not play.

'Tackling Dummies said:
Still trying to get my brain around: midweek + attending funeral of a family member + firing a gun by someone's head.
Maybe his grandfather had a secret gay midget lover and an argument broke out as to how to properly handle the situation.

Rolando McClain Speaks With Hue Jackson, Joins Oakland Raiders At Practice

Dec0311:37a

by David FucilloREAD MORE: rolando mcclain arrest, Darryl Blackstock (LB - OAK), Aaron Curry (LB - OAK),Rolando McClain (LB - OAK), Oakland Raiders

The Oakland Raiders conducted a walkthrough practice on Saturday for Sunday's game against the Miami Dolphins and middle linebacker Rolando McClain was on hand for the walkthrough. McClain was arrested on Thursday after allegedly firing a gun on Wednesday night in an altercation with a former childhood friend in Alabama. McClain has denied the charges.

McClain was released on bail Thursday afternoon and questions immediately arose as to his status for Sunday's game against the Dolphins. Hue Jackson spoke to the media on Friday and simply said that he would need to speak with McClain in person before he could make any decision as to his status for Sunday and moving forward.

Hue Jackson told CSNCalifornia.com that he spoke with McClain but would not reveal his status for Sunday. Jackson told the media:

"We'll see," Jackson told CSNCalifornia.com at the team hotel. "I feel very comfortable that we're getting down to the issues with him. This is something he has to learn from, we all have to learn from.

"I will make the best decision for the organization and the football team."

More than likely any decision will not be known until game-day inactives are announced. If McClain is not active, his primary backup is Darryl Blackstock. While Blackstock is the backup middle linebacker, there is some talk that Aaron Curry could potentially move back inside.For further discussion on Rolando McClain, head over to Silver & Black Pride.

The Raiders' McClain decision: Hue Jackson as judge, jury and image-shaper

POSTED BY TIM KAWAKAMI ON DECEMBER 3RD, 2011 AT 2:26 PM | CATEGORIZED AS NFL, RAIDERS

What does Hue Jackson do now?

He inherited this Raiders responsibility, he's been man enough to accept it full-tilt, he's never blinked, and now he has to figure out what to do about Rolando McClain, specifically in tomorrow's game against the Dolphins.

In Miami, Jackson told Comcast's Paul Gutierrez today that he'd met with McClain today and still hasn't decided whether to let the MLB play only days after McClain was arrested and charged with a series of misdemeanor counts stepping from an incident at his hometown Decatur, Ala.

<br style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; ">Let's toss out the usual generalities about the Raiders having to get to the bottom of the story and weigh the merits of what McClain is telling them.

There is no way the Raiders can investigate and know anything for sure about this incident, allegedly involving a fired gun, and certainly not in time for a decision by gametime tomorrow.

What the Raiders can and should know: Is McClain a solid person or not? Simple. Important.

What Jackson has to do, right now, is make a gut decision: Would playing McClain present the Raiders with more problems in the near future?

Basically, is McClain a bad guy who got caught this time doing the type of thing he's probably done in the past and might do again in the future?

Or is McClain essentially a solid citizen who got himself into a bad situation and–whether strictly guilty or innocent–has learned from it?

If McClain is a bad guy, then it doesn't matter how much he'd help the effort tomorrow, he should be deactivated for embarrassing the team with actions that may illustrate who he really is.

If McClain is usually a good guy, then there is some gray area here for Jackson, who, again, cannot really know what happened in Decatur and won't know where this case will lead.

It's about McClain, as a person, and Jackson's evaluation of him.

That's not about the facts of the case, it's about McClain, straight up, as a person and a member of the Raiders franchise into the future.

It is not an easy choice for Jackson. Nobody's saying it's easy.

Jackson has very publicly stated that he will hold players accountable for off-the-field misdeeds that put the team in an unfavorable light.

But pointedly, the Raiders could use a victory tomorrow, and their chances of doing so are lessened if McClain is not out there chasing down ballcarriers.

McClain hasn't been a great LB in his two seasons with the Raiders, but he's an effective run-stuffer on a team that doesn't have too many of those guys.

And it's a pretty safe guess that Al Davis would've let this incident slide, just to make sure he had McClain in the line-up tomorrow.

This one's up to Jackson. It's not about the Raiders' rebel image or knowing all the details of the Decatur incident. It's about their feel for McClain, and Jackson's ability to be a wise judge and jury.

I think Jackson will let McClain play, presuming McClain has sounded a remorseful tone behind closed doors.

I know, his arrest picture sure doesn't give a feeling of remorse, but that's just a picture–I would hope McClain has wiped that smile off his face semi-permanently while in Miami with his teammates.

I do not know McClain. Worse details might emerge from this investigation, and McClain might end up getting suspended for multiple games or worse. He might go to jail.

But my gut feel is that, judging by what we know at this moment–and that is what Jackson has to go by–McClain will be cleared to play tomorrow. I'm OK with that, if Jackson trusts him and if the trustworthiness has been earned.

and people got mad at Suh's post game press conference...can't wait to see people flip out on this...

ETA: :lmao: "i've been advised not to say anything". But instead why not ignore that advice and 'keep it real'. Paging Dave Chapelle...

Rolando McClain: 'No reason I shouldn't' play in Sunday's game

Published: Saturday, December 03, 2011, 9:54 AM Updated: Saturday, December 03, 2011, 11:48 AM

HUNTSVILLE, Alabama -- After his arrest on four charges but before his day in court, Rolando McClain now has to answer to Oakland Raiders coach Hue Jackson.

"Here's the bottom line. There's a right way to do things and a wrong way to do things, and obviously there was something done wrong," Jackson told reporters following Oakland's practice on Friday. "So we'll go and deal with that accordingly from there."

Jackson listed McClain, the second-year linebacker from the University of Alabama, as "questionable" for Oakland's game at Miami this Sunday.

McClain was awaiting his teammates as they arrived in south Florida Friday. He refused interview requests before finally speaking to a Comcast Sports Network-California reporter.

"I've been advised to not say anything. Best thing I can do is just stay quiet and get ready for the game."

Asked by CSNCalifornia.com if he still planned on playing Sunday against the Dolphins, McClain nodded his head affirmatively.

"No reason why I shouldn't," he said

The National Football League has not ruled on McClain's status, though commissioner Roger Goodell has taken a hard-line stance when it comes to player conduct off the field.

"(The McClain case) will be reviewed under the league's personal conduct policy we do not have an estimated timetable," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said in an e-mail Friday to the Contra Costa (Calif.) Times. "It is a legal matter and we will follow developments."

According to the San Diego Union-Tribune, 45 NFL players have been arrested in 2011. McClain's arrest was the fourth in which firearms were involved.

McClain had been excused by the Raiders in midweek to return to his hometown of Decatur after the death of his grandfather.

Unsure of his whereabouts on Friday, Decatur High School, his alma mater, issued a statement in which it publicly requested McClain not attend Friday's basketball game with rival Austin.

He was arrested in Decatur on Thursday after a Wednesday night incident in which Rishard Tapscott, a former basketball teammate of McClain and a person with whom he briefly lived, was allegedly threatened at gunpoint by McClain.

Tapscott told Decatur police, and reiterated to reporters on Friday, that he had been "ambushed" by McClain and Jerradius Willingham at a house on Skyview Street. A fight ensued and Tapscott said he sustained some injuries, including a broken nose, mild concussion and several broken ribs.

As Tapscott crawled toward his car, McClain took over him with a gun, pointing it at his head as Tapscott pleaded with him, according to the alleged victim. McClain then pointed the gun in a different direction and pulled the trigger.

According to the Associated Press, McClain's attorney, Billy Burney, said, "Mr. McClain asserts his innocence. We are confident that Mr. McClain will be cleared of all charges."

Jackson said he has "now gotten more information and can make a very informed decision on what I think is best for our team, and I'll do that in the next day or so. Obviously, there's a situation that happened, and I've had an opportunity to digest it all. The important thing is we focus on this game.

"I have 52 other players that are doing things the right way and doing things as I see they should be doing it, and we're getting ready to play a game," the coach said. "I will deal with Rolando when that time comes."

Late Friday, as McClain was topic No. 1 on local talk shows, host Grant Napaer of Sacramento's 1140 The Fan received an email from a listener:

"My son returned his McClain jersey I bought for him. So much for role models."

Rotoworld:

The Carroll County Times reports free agent ILB Rolando McClain has begun informing "people" that he's planning a comeback.
McClain turns 25 in July. The former top-eight overall draft pick spent 2013 out of football to finish his degree at Alabama and get his life back together. McClain could draw some interest as a camp tryout on a one-year, minimum-salary deal. In all likelihood, McClain's money ran out during his year "off."

Source: Matt Zenitz on Twitter

Report: Former top-10 pick Rolando McClain planning NFL comeback

By John Breech | CBSSports.com

March 10, 2014 9:35 pm ET

Former NFL linebacker Rolando McClain announced back in May that he was retiring, but apparently that retirement's not permanent. The eighth overall pick in the 2010 NFL Draft plans on returning to football in 2014, according to the Carroll County Times.

After three arrests in 17 months, McClain decided to retire so that he could get his 'personal life together.' McClain was first arrested in December 2011, that was followed up by an arrest in January 2013. McClain's most recent arrest came in April 2013, less than two weeks after he signed a contract with the Ravens.

According to the Carroll County Times, McClain has been working out regularly and is in a better place mentally. Since retiring, McClain has been taking classes at the University of Alabama where he's majoring in family financial planning.

Back in October McClain said that retirement was the best thing for him, telling ESPN the Magazine that he was afraid of turning out like Aaron Hernandez. "I was feeling like Aaron Hernandez or something," McClain said. "Like I just wanted to kill somebody."

The 24-year-old also said the he spent almost $600,000 on friends and family after signing his first NFL contract.

That contract -- a five-year, $40-million deal -- came in 2010 when the Raiders made him the eighth overall pick in the NFL Draft. After only three seasons with the team, McClain was released by Oakland in April 2013.

If McClain does make it back to the NFL, he'll have to make a call to Baltimore general manager Ozzie Newsome. Thanks to the contract McClain signed in April 2013, the Ravens still own his rights.

Report: Rolando McClain struggles in NFL comeback attemptBy John Breech | CBSSports.com

Rolando McClain's comeback attempt might be over after just one workout. The eighth overall pick in the 2010 NFL Draft had a workout session with the Ravens on Tuesday and by all accounts, things didn't go well.

According to NFL.com, McClain showed up late and when he finally got there, he couldn't finish his conditioning test. McClain also didn't do any of the drills he was supposed to do.

The rough showing could end up being the final nail in the coffin of McClain's three-year NFL career. The 24-year-old linebacker spent three seasons in Oakland after the Raiders made him the eighth overall pick in the 2010 draft. McClain hasn't played in an NFL game since November 2012.

From late 2011 to early 2013, McClain was arrested three times in 17 months. After the third arrest, McClain decided to retire so that he could get his 'personal life together.'

McClain was first arrested in December 2011 in an incident where all the charges were eventually dropped. The 2011 arrest was followed up by an arrest in January 2013 where McClain was charged with a window tint violation and for giving false information to a police officer.

McClain's most recent incident happened in April 2013, when he was arrested less than two weeks after signing a contract with the Ravens. One month after that arrest, McClain announced his retirement.

Before Tuesday's workout, McClain had reportedly been working out regularly and taking classes at the University of Alabama, where he's majoring in family financial planning.

Back in October, McClain had said that retirement was the best thing for him, telling ESPN the Magazine that he was afraid of turning out like Aaron Hernandez. "I was feeling like Aaron Hernandez or something," McClain said. "Like I just wanted to kill somebody."

The 24-year-old also said the he spent almost $600,000 on friends and family after signing his first NFL contract.

That contract -- a five-year, $40-million deal -- came in 2010 with the Raiders. After only three seasons with the team, McClain was released by Oakland in April 2013.

If McClain does get a second chance at a comeback, it will definitely be in Baltimore again. Thanks to the contract McClain signed in April 2013, the Ravens still own his rights.

A talented but troubled guy with poor guidance is fresh meat for a money hungry agent. McClain clearly didn't play along.

According to NFL.com, McClain showed up late and when he finally got there, he couldn't finish his conditioning test. McClain also didn't do any of the drills he was supposed to do.
LOL

taking classes at the University of Alabama, where he's majoring in family financial planning.

LOL

If McClain does get a second chance at a comeback, it will definitely be in Baltimore again. Thanks to the contract McClain signed in April 2013, the Ravens still own his rights.
LOL

That contract -- a five-year, $40-million deal -- came in 2010 with the Raiders. After only three seasons with the team, McClain was released by Oakland in April 2013.
:facepalm:

This turd and JaBustus epitomize the final years of Al's regime. So sad.

LOL

taking classes at the University of Alabama, where he's majoring in family financial planning.

LOL

LOL

nah, he was ranked in the top 10 that yr (right?). If Raiders didn't take him then someone would of shortly afterwards.

did he get paid for today's "workout"

LOL

LOL

LOL

nah, he was ranked in the top 10 that yr (right?). If Raiders didn't take him then someone would of shortly afterwards.

IIRC, players travel/arrangements are taken care of if needed.

LOL

LOL

LOL

IIRC, players travel/arrangements are taken care of if needed.
sounds like their ready to rip that contract up

Rotoworld:

Rolando McClain - LB - Cowboys

Rolando McClain's agent says his client is "as excited about football as I've ever heard him."

At this point, we'll believe it when we see it. Since entering the NFL in 2010, McClain has retired twice, been arrested three times and showed up to a Ravens workout earlier this offseason late and out of shape. Former NFL player turned consultant Chuck Smith said McClain had the "worst attitude of any player I ever met while consulting."

Source: ESPN Dallas

Jul 2 - 8:36 AM

Rotoworld:

Rolando McClain - LB - Cowboys

Rolando McClain's agent says his client is "as excited about football as I've ever heard him."

At this point, we'll believe it when we see it. Since entering the NFL in 2010, McClain has retired twice, been arrested three times and showed up to a Ravens workout earlier this offseason late and out of shape. Former NFL player turned consultant Chuck Smith said McClain had the "worst attitude of any player I ever met while consulting."

Jul 2 - 8:36 AM
That, is something.

Rotoworld:

ESPN Dallas' Todd Archer hinted LB Rolando McClain is not a lock to make the Cowboys' 53-man roster.
Acquired for basically a stick of gum and a thank you card, the Cowboys would feel little pain cutting McClain, though that is obviously not their best-case scenario. The No. 8 pick in the 2010 draft, McClain has the pedigree and talent to make a difference on a Dallas defense in desperate need of help. He will need a serious -- and unlikely -- change in attitude and work ethic to make it happen.

He had about 7 solo tackles, 1 sack and a diving, acrobatic INT.

He has been their best LB so far, and if he keeps it up, should be a candidate for Comeback Player of the Year.

Users who are viewing this thread