What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Roy williams- calvin johnson (1 Viewer)

cowpie

Footballguy
OK as mentioned in K jones post, I just left Cobo Arena where they had the detroit economic luncheon presenting the Detroit lions team. a player or coach was at every table of 10. it was pretty cool. anyways, i didn't not get a player at my table, but got a coach. The lineman coach Phil Snow. he has been with the team for 3 years. anyways, someone at the table asked him about c johnson and rumors that kitna was gonna hit 5000 passing yards. well, he said, i don't know about all the passing stats, but that calvin johnson kid is good. i then asked the question how good. is he gonna be better than Roy???

his response was "Roy is a freak" (he meant it in a good way) They are both good in their own ways, but he is not sure that there is any other WR in the league with more talent than Roy.

then he went on to talk about practices and how he will bat an out of bounds pass back in bounds and catch it with the other hand one handed. anyways, just some cool info. that puts williams up on my list in my oppinion and it moves down c johnson.

he also mentioned that mcdonald is great for the team and thye will be using a lot of 3 and 4 wr sets to get him involved.

OK as mentioned in K jones post, I just left Cobo Arena where they had the detroit economic luncheon presenting the Detroit lions team. a player or coach was at every table of 10. it was pretty cool. anyways, i didn't not get a player at my table, but got a coach. The lineman coach Phil Snow. he has been with the team for 3 years. anyways, someone at the table asked him about c johnson and rumors that kitna was gonna hit 5000 passing yards. well, he said, i don't know about all the passing stats, but that calvin johnson kid is good. i then asked the question how good. is he gonna be better than Roy???his response was "Roy is a freak" (he meant it in a good way) They are both good in their own ways, but he is not sure that there is any other WR in the league with more talent than Roy.then he went on to talk about practices and how he will bat an out of bounds pass back in bounds and catch it with the other hand one handed. anyways, just some cool info. that puts williams up on my list in my oppinion and it moves down c johnson. he also mentioned that mcdonald is great for the team and thye will be using a lot of 3 and 4 wr sets to get him involved.
Interesting info, but its really not up to him, is up to the O coordinator, and the QB who gets the ball.

OK as mentioned in K jones post, I just left Cobo Arena where they had the detroit economic luncheon presenting the Detroit lions team. a player or coach was at every table of 10. it was pretty cool. anyways, i didn't not get a player at my table, but got a coach. The lineman coach Phil Snow. he has been with the team for 3 years. anyways, someone at the table asked him about c johnson and rumors that kitna was gonna hit 5000 passing yards. well, he said, i don't know about all the passing stats, but that calvin johnson kid is good. i then asked the question how good. is he gonna be better than Roy???his response was "Roy is a freak" (he meant it in a good way) They are both good in their own ways, but he is not sure that there is any other WR in the league with more talent than Roy.then he went on to talk about practices and how he will bat an out of bounds pass back in bounds and catch it with the other hand one handed. anyways, just some cool info. that puts williams up on my list in my oppinion and it moves down c johnson. he also mentioned that mcdonald is great for the team and thye will be using a lot of 3 and 4 wr sets to get him involved.
I wouldnt move CJ down just because a coach thinks he will not be better than Roy. He should still be pretty darn good.

I wouldnt move CJ down just because a coach thinks he will not be better than Roy. He should still be pretty darn good.
Besides, that's the safe position for him to take, no matter what he thinks. How would he want to walk into the locker room where he has just said that the #1 receiver ain't gonna be that any more? What he said is team speak, and good from a PR standpoint..

Last edited by a moderator:
I've wanted Roy every since I saw him interviewed on ESPNews. They were talking about all the money Johnson got. Roy's eyes lite up and he said he would be getting his too. Just got the feeling that Roy is determined to show ownership who their bread and butter is.

when i sat next to Matt Millen on a plane three years ago he all but said Roy Williams was far greater than Charles Rogers in terms of talent. Said the only guy with more talent than Roy was Randy Moss. He was dead on.

Roy Williams $36...

Calvin Johnson $18..

Overspent a bit on Mike Furry for security purposes $9..

All the receiving stats in a Mike Martz Offense...

Priceless!

OK as mentioned in K jones post, I just left Cobo Arena where they had the detroit economic luncheon presenting the Detroit lions team. a player or coach was at every table of 10. it was pretty cool. anyways, i didn't not get a player at my table, but got a coach. The lineman coach Phil Snow. he has been with the team for 3 years. anyways, someone at the table asked him about c johnson and rumors that kitna was gonna hit 5000 passing yards. well, he said, i don't know about all the passing stats, but that calvin johnson kid is good. i then asked the question how good. is he gonna be better than Roy???

his response was "Roy is a freak" (he meant it in a good way) They are both good in their own ways, but he is not sure that there is any other WR in the league with more talent than Roy.

then he went on to talk about practices and how he will bat an out of bounds pass back in bounds and catch it with the other hand one handed. anyways, just some cool info. that puts williams up on my list in my oppinion and it moves down c johnson.

he also mentioned that mcdonald is great for the team and thye will be using a lot of 3 and 4 wr sets to get him involved.
Yes, I've heard this rumor too. I wonder if there's any truth to it...

As a Bear Homer I feel dirty saying this but I think Roy is going to be a top 3 WR this year with C.J and Furrey taking away the attention to Roy. Martz is a pass Offense mastermind,The 3 WR will account for much of the scoring this year, especially since the running game has so many injury concerns. Add to that Detroit Defense is not quite adapt at stopping many players therefore you get a Stl type offense "shootouts" minus Faulk. I mean circa 99-01

Roy is a freak. in 3 seasons he has shown what he can do with Harrington throwing to him for 2 and Kitna 1. Not exactly top tier QB's.

Roy Williams $36...Calvin Johnson $18..Overspent a bit on Mike Furry for security purposes $9..All the receiving stats in a Mike Martz Offense...Priceless!
Where's Shaun McDonald? For a buck you could have had Da Man!
Did Shaun McDonald travel in Martz's suitcase, from STL, he's worth a pickle on a bigmac
I hear ya, but roster due to my roster demands I dont have room for Shawn... im confident furry who caught 99 passes last year is adequate for a backup

Actually I was kidding. Shaun Mac will be good for a 50 yarder every third game or so but you wouldn't be able to depend on him week to week even if one of the top three went down.

Roy Williams $36...Calvin Johnson $18..Overspent a bit on Mike Furry for security purposes $9..All the receiving stats in a Mike Martz Offense...Priceless!
12 team serpentine, shark draft, start 3 WRAs my #2 and #3 I got:Roy at 3:03 Calvin at 5:03 (over Braylon Edwards, Santana Moss, Coles).Coles and Moss don't score many TD and Edwards QB situation is iffy. So I went with Calvin, though I took some grief for it. I liked the idea of getting 80% of the receiving TD's for Detroit.Oh, I got Tatem Bell as my #3 at 6:10.

:lmao:

I agree Roy Williams has incredible talent and abilities and obviously several years of high-level performance on a team with disgruntled WR history (surely Rogers and BMW were a distraction to the whole team but especially those who have to deal with them daily in positional meetings). Now, he has a better (not great but very good) qb a sure handed possession receiver in Furrey, the deep threat of MacDonald with the addition of the top draft talent of 2007. All this in a Martz offense.

My biggest concern for Roy this year is opportunity as there are a number of options now in the passing game and when KJ returns (hopefully at 100%), a strong supporting running game.

I see Roy's dominance as a plus for CJ as he (CJ) will not be the focus of the #1 db and should be able to get open easier due to weaker coverage. It will depend on who Kitna zeroes in on. I foresee Roy and ROY (rookie of the year) CJ being a CJ (ocho cinco) and TJ situation where the strengths of one provide opportunity for the other.

Add in the bonus of CJ being pushed all year to compete with his equally/greater talented teammate and the mentoring Roy is hopefully providing.

I see Kitna being a 30+ TD qb this year (if healthy all year) with an early advantage to Roy (weaker running game until KJ returns) and 50/50 from then on for the top two receivers.

I believe when Roy & Calvin are at the end of their careers...it will be Calvin that put up the better numbers. Roy this year....Calvin in long-run. Most people are in-line with Roy being considerably better than Calvin long-term....I'm not buying. In a keep 6 (as long as you want - no year restrictions), PPR league I drafted for yesterday. Roy W went 31st overall. I selected Calvin at 40th overall. T.O, Boldin, J.Walker, & Evans went right before CJ.

IMO, CJ2 will be the primary red zone target (and why not with 6'5" and that vertical) So while Roy is a stud, I think Calvin will have more TDs this year. Yep, i said it. :cry:

IMO, CJ2 will be the primary red zone target (and why not with 6'5" and that vertical) So while Roy is a stud, I think Calvin will have more TDs this year. Yep, i said it. :suds:
ROY was targeted very rarely at the goal line last year. That's the main reason why his TD total was low and why he's not a great WR1. Martz spread things around in STL as well. I can't see his TD totals changing from last year for this reason.

when i sat next to Matt Millen on a plane three years ago he all but said Roy Williams was far greater than Charles Rogers in terms of talent. Said the only guy with more talent than Roy was Randy Moss. He was dead on.
I remember hearing a rumor that had Roy come out a year early Detroit would have taken him over Rogers. Millen and Mariucci both prefered "The Legend" to Rogers.

I remember hearing a rumor that had Roy come out a year early Detroit would have taken him over Rogers. Millen and Mariucci both prefered "The Legend" to Rogers.
That is true- Millen said so in a radio interview following the selection of Roy.

I also like McDonald. If anyone strains a hammy, tweaks an ankle or bruises a shoulder.........this guy will step right in and you won't miss much of a beat.

If he goes undrafted in your leagues, I can promise you at some point during the season this guy will be picked up on the waiver wire by someone who watches him score a 55 yard TD and realizes he's not on anyone's team.

I'm loving Roy this year have him projected as my top 5. Got him at 3.07 in my 12 team league and was very pleased by it.

Users who are viewing this thread