What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Roy Williams signs w/Cincy (1 Viewer)

damn it I hope this does not drop ndukwe out of the top 10!!!! will this pick up diminish hi chance at 100 tackles or will they put him at FS?

Here's a thread from a few weeks ago with some discussion when Williams visited the Bengals.

I still think this is likely a depth signing, but the early uses of Rey Maualuga and Michael Johnson give me no confidence that will be the case. Late in his career, Williams took more bad angles than ever and wasn't much of an impact player against the run. That usually grates on Marvin Lewis, so the signing is a surprise, particularly with Crocker, Ndukwe, White, Lynch and other special teams anchors already at the position.

I'm still holding out hope that Ndukwe can get the bulk of the snaps here, but we'll have to see what the Bengals have planned -- and that may not be until sometime in training camp -- before feeling sure of anything.

I am strongly of the opinion that IDP players grossly overvalue the late round DBs who come in as injury replacements and put up serious stats. I am not even saying that they did not play well. But Washington is talking about how Chris Horton is competing for his job. Ndukwe is competing for his job.

I think it is much more likely that Horton and Ndukwe are out of the top 30 DBs than they are in the top 10.

As for Roy Williams, who knows? I think if he can do the same stuff now he did the last time Zimmer had him in Dallas then Roy is going to be used and used heavily. Certainly enough to make Ndukwe a a costly gamble compared to picking up Gibril Wilson or someone like that.

Heck, I would much rather have Pollard than Ndukwe.

It's too early to tell but I dont think Roy Williams will be playing more than the other guys. Once he gets beat week 1 he won't be playing much. When he signed he was told he would get a shot.

Roy Williams = liability in secondary

Benchwarmers said:
It's too early to tell but I dont think Roy Williams will be playing more than the other guys. Once he gets beat week 1 he won't be playing much. When he signed he was told he would get a shot. Roy Williams = liability in secondary
That may be true but he is going to limit Ndukwe's FANTASY #'s IMO....It's at best going to be a rotation unless Roy gets hurt. He's a Zimmer guy & I have absolutely ZERO faith in Zimmer/Lewis to get the "right" people on the field (see the LB situation)....I thought Crocker/Williams would be the initial starters based on Zimmer & this definitely doesn't disprove that notion.Williams was getting "burned" in Dallas (& still started until injury in '08) & I'm not at all sure a late rd guy like Ndukwe is going to automatically beat him out. The division isn't particularily pass heavy (Balt/Pitt/Clev - eeh?) & I think they'll say Roy's run support outweighs his pass liability (& they'll adjust in the nickel - per the article)....WHITE's value is DEFINITELY down.I think Ndukwe is going too early in drafts with the situation the way it is right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bengals minicamp notes from ESPN's James Walker

Veteran safety Roy Williams worked with the first team at safety Thursday along with Chris Crocker, while Chinedum Ndukwe played on the second team. Williams is a big hitter but his biggest question mark will be pass coverage if he remains in the starting lineup.

all of this uncertainty leads me to ratchet down expectations for Ndukwe at this stage of the offseason

tex

Bengals | R. Williams ready to compete for job

Comment (0) Tweet me!

Thu, 02 Jul 2009 11:12:54 -0700

Carlos Holmes, of the Dayton Daily News, reports Cincinnati Bengals SS Roy L. Williams appears to be the favorite for the starting strong safety job but is ready to compete with the other players during training camp. "I'm going to compete and whatever I do I will try to do at a high velocity. I see all the other guys are like that as well. The competition is great and we will have a great team because everyone is competing for the same jobs and that's a good thing," Williams said.

Great sign when the veteran safety you signed to bring a physical presence and good all-around play gets destroyed by a practice squad WR in front of the whole team during the Oklahoma drill.

The most emotion-charged moment came when practice squad wide receiver Maurice Purify drove five-time Pro Bowl safety Roy Williams five yards back and they ended up on the ground hooked to each other's helmets. The offense treated it like a Super Bowl win while some had to be separated as the defenders tried to get Purify off Williams.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great sign when the veteran safety you signed to bring a physical presence and good all-around play gets destroyed by a practice squad WR in front of the whole team during the Oklahoma drill.

The most emotion-charged moment came when practice squad wide receiver Maurice Purify drove five-time Pro Bowl safety Roy Williams five yards back and they ended up on the ground hooked to each other's helmets. The offense treated it like a Super Bowl win while some had to be separated as the defenders tried to get Purify off Williams.
At least he didn't horse-collar anyone yet

Nedu was great for them, why wouldn't they use Nedu and Roy at the same time if they really wanted to have Roy on the field?

Nedu was great for them, why wouldn't they use Nedu and Roy at the same time if they really wanted to have Roy on the field?
:thumbup: Because they have the great Chris Crocker already.I could go off on another long suffering Bengal fan rant here, I guess, but Marvin Lewis is a big fan of assignment football. Ndukwe is around the ball frequently and a big play waiting to happen. However, what sticks in the mind of Lewis is the whiffed tackle on Chris Johnson that allowed a long touchdown just before halftime or a blown coverage that allowed a first down. Given the choice between creating big plays and not allowing big plays, it appears that Lewis wants the "veteran" presence who doesn't make a big error.The list of safeties that have come through as veterans-who-won't-screw-up is long. Kim Herring, Dexter Jackson, Chris Crocker, Roy Williams, etc. All of those players have been singled out for praise (well, not Williams yet) as guys who keep the defense aligned well and don't screw up. You'll see them make good on a safety run blitz or a tipped interception now and then, but they aren't game changers. And when your DL, LB and corners aren't gamechangers either, it's harder to argue that a safety like Ndukwe is too much of a maverick to put on the field.I'd like to make the argument (again) that Ndukwe is a huge value and will eventually rise to the top and put up big numbers. However, it's really hard to do that three years running when the coaching staff that drafted him continues to find scrap pile guys that nobody else is in a hurry to sign to play ahead of him.

if it was any other franchise, I'd say there's no way they stick with Roy Williams. In Cincinnati though, I'm not so sure.

it does sound like Ndukwe is playing well and still has a chance to win the starting SS job.

Husker - Sooner tension never fades...

I know its TV, but I just happened to be flipping through channels and caught a little of the Bengals Hard Knocks (never watched it before). They had Nedu on and he was getting chastised by the DB coach hard. Then later, when the coaches were reviewing the preseason game, the DB coach took another shot at Nedu, basically stating he was out of position, not learning where he should be etc... Not looking good for him based on the show, thats for sure.

I know its TV, but I just happened to be flipping through channels and caught a little of the Bengals Hard Knocks (never watched it before). They had Nedu on and he was getting chastised by the DB coach hard. Then later, when the coaches were reviewing the preseason game, the DB coach took another shot at Nedu, basically stating he was out of position, not learning where he should be etc... Not looking good for him based on the show, thats for sure.
At least until they realize that Roy has no coverage skills.

Users who are viewing this thread