What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Royals/Angels Thread. (1 Viewer)

More good news! Next year the Angils won't be paying Vernon Wells and Joe Blanton a combined 25mm anymore.

For better or worse, Anaheim aren't losing many guys to FA, but they don't have a ton of money to spend either, after arbitration/rookie contracts/replacing bullpen guys like Thatcher and Grilli. Unless they increase payroll.

Josh Hamilton is making 25mm next year, and THIRTY TWO MILLION DOLLARS for 2016 and 2017. What would Anaheim be without a wildly disappointing albatross of a contract hanging around their neck?

2014:

Pujols 23mm - 3.3 WAR

Hamilton 17mm - 1.1 WAR

Wilson 16mm - 0.6 WAR

Weaver 16mm - 1.5 WAR
Ugly and Pujols is signed until he's 41. 1:1 odds that they are deep into Sherzer/Lester/Shields signings this off season.
I don't know if Wilson's movable at this point, but dealing Weaver and using that cash to go after someone else would not be a bad move.

Forgot about Skaggs, although next year probably isn't going to happen for him. But he's at least usable in 2016.

More good news! Next year the Angils won't be paying Vernon Wells and Joe Blanton a combined 25mm anymore.

For better or worse, Anaheim aren't losing many guys to FA, but they don't have a ton of money to spend either, after arbitration/rookie contracts/replacing bullpen guys like Thatcher and Grilli. Unless they increase payroll.

Josh Hamilton is making 25mm next year, and THIRTY TWO MILLION DOLLARS for 2016 and 2017. What would Anaheim be without a wildly disappointing albatross of a contract hanging around their neck?

2014:

Pujols 23mm - 3.3 WAR

Hamilton 17mm - 1.1 WAR

Wilson 16mm - 0.6 WAR

Weaver 16mm - 1.5 WAR
Ugly and Pujols is signed until he's 41. 1:1 odds that they are deep into Sherzer/Lester/Shields signings this off season.
I don't know if Wilson's movable at this point, but dealing Weaver and using that cash to go after someone else would not be a bad move.

Forgot about Skaggs, although next year probably isn't going to happen for him. But he's at least usable in 2016.
Wilson will be moved if/when LAA throws money at a team to take him or he's involved in a multiple player/prospect deal. Weaver still has some gas in the tank, but 16M per through '16 could be a deal breaker for some.

2014:

Pujols 23mm - 3.3 WAR

Hamilton 17mm - 1.1 WAR

Wilson 16mm - 0.6 WAR

Weaver 16mm - 1.5 WAR

Wilson will be moved if/when LAA throws money at a team to take him or he's involved in a multiple player/prospect deal. Weaver still has some gas in the tank, but 16M per through '16 could be a deal breaker for some.
I don't think Weaver is all that overpaid relative to what other pitchers make. In fact, if I recall, I thought he actually took a home team discount when he re-upped with the Angels. He isn't providing huge value at 16 million, but then again, I am not sure Lester or Shields are going to provide huge value at 20+ million per season, either.

2014:

Pujols 23mm - 3.3 WAR

Hamilton 17mm - 1.1 WAR

Wilson 16mm - 0.6 WAR

Weaver 16mm - 1.5 WAR

I don't think Weaver is all that overpaid relative to what other pitchers make. In fact, if I recall, I thought he actually took a home team discount when he re-upped with the Angels. He isn't providing huge value at 16 million, but then again, I am not sure Lester or Shields are going to provide huge value at 20+ million per season, either.
Weaver's WAR per year makes an almost perfect bell curve: 2.8 his debut year, then 3.2, 3.6, 4.1, 5.7, 5.7, 2.8, 2.3, 1.5. "Market value" for one WAR is around $6mm, which means that unless Weaver makes a big turnaround at some point, he's going to be pretty badly overpaid.

Even with double the payroll that the A's have, they can't expect to stay ahead of them if they're paying $10mm per WAR when the A's are paying $2m on average.

Why are we worrying about the Anaheims when there are sick kids in the world?

They're a top five team in terms of revenue coming off a 98 win season with the best player in baseball locked up through 2020. There's no reason why they won't be a perennial playoff contender and if you can make it into the playoffs, you have a shot at winning them.

Why are we worrying about the Anaheims when there are sick kids in the world?

They're a top five team in terms of revenue coming off a 98 win season with the best player in baseball locked up through 2020. There's no reason why they won't be a perennial playoff contender and if you can make it into the playoffs, you have a shot at winning them.
Their roster is a problem that is going to need more money/better player development thrown at it to keep it above-water, IMO.

I'm not worrying, I'm happy about all of this.

Users who are viewing this thread