What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ryan Mathews Expectations for Week 3 (1 Viewer)

'godgers12 said:
packaged a deal where i basically sent Morris to a skins fan for Mathews (was more involved but thats the jiff of it as I didnt trade anyone I havent picked off waivers this year) I could have waited a week held onto Morris and played it safe but I was afraid Mathews would smash faces and the guy would back out. Granted this is my RB3/Flex behind Murray and Lynch but i think the gamble was the best move and dont question it.
THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE UPDATE MAN!

'godgers12 said:
packaged a deal where i basically sent Morris to a skins fan for Mathews (was more involved but thats the jiff of it as I didnt trade anyone I havent picked off waivers this year) I could have waited a week held onto Morris and played it safe but I was afraid Mathews would smash faces and the guy would back out. Granted this is my RB3/Flex behind Murray and Lynch but i think the gamble was the best move and dont question it.
:goodposting: Can you lay your whole rooster out on the table for us to inspect?

It's kinda funny seeing all the injury jokes. Just reminds me we know very little, in general. here we are bashing the former consensus top 5 pick, forecasting an injury, while we are now eating crow one way on Peterson (everyone was downgrading him), eating it another way on Chris Johnson, and its completely irrelevant on the one guy that INJURY was what all the talk was about (remember how everything surrounding DMAC was ALL about the injury, yet he's sucking with no injury at all and we are ignoring him and predicting doom for another guy.)
Say you had to bet $500.00 of your own money on one of only two options. 1. Matthews stays healthy and uninjured the rest of the season. 2. Matthews gets injured again before the season is over. Just 14 games left. What one would you choose?

It's kinda funny seeing all the injury jokes. Just reminds me we know very little, in general. here we are bashing the former consensus top 5 pick, forecasting an injury, while we are now eating crow one way on Peterson (everyone was downgrading him), eating it another way on Chris Johnson, and its completely irrelevant on the one guy that INJURY was what all the talk was about (remember how everything surrounding DMAC was ALL about the injury, yet he's sucking with no injury at all and we are ignoring him and predicting doom for another guy.)
Say you had to bet $500.00 of your own money on one of only two options. 1. Matthews stays healthy and uninjured the rest of the season. 2. Matthews gets injured again before the season is over. Just 14 games left. What one would you choose?
Say you had to bet $500 of your own money on which one of these guys scores more points on the 16 game season: Mathews, C.Johnson, or DMC? Which would you choose. I'll take Mathews for 12 games over either of those two guys, especially since DMC is more fragile than Mathews.

He will get normal use. He will get whatever he was going to get if was there in week 1 and 2. Maybe a little more with fresher legs. A bone is either healed or it isn't. If he is a cleared, there is no reason to ease him in.
Charles rogers broke his clavicle twice.
The breaks were a full year apart, so hard to say that the first break bore on the second -- I am not sure if it was even the same collarbone (you have two).Regardless, when you break a bone, the bone knits together at the site and can actually be stronger than the original. I broke my clavicle in college, and after the healing period it was 100% ready to go -- no loss of mobility or strength, and it wasn't as if I was handling it any gingerly that first week out of a sling. Then again, I was drunk most of the time.Anyway, I think the caution with Mathews is more valid if you are worried about rust, not bone.

If by "get injured" you mean "miss a game due to injury," that's a really close call.Slightly more than half of all starting RBs who play in 16 games in Year N miss at least one game due to injury the following year. If there were 16 games left in the season, I'd bet on option #2 ("gets injured") for any starting RB.

But there are only 14 games left now, and it's easier to go 14 games without missing one than it is to go 16 games. The average healthy running back is probably about even money to go 14 games without missing time due to injury.

I don't believe that Ryan Mathews is more injury-prone than average based on his physical build or running style. He may be less likely than average to play through certain injuries, but I think he's matured in that respect. So my opinion is that Mathews is no more likely than average to miss time, which means he's probably about even money to make it through the next 14 games without missing a game due to injury. Flip a coin.

Last edited by a moderator:
'godgers12 said:
:goodposting: Can you lay your whole rooster out on the table for us to inspect?
I'm not wanting to see his c*ck.

2. But I would make that bet with most RBs. In the first 2 weeks, 3 starting RBs are out. Forte, Bradshaw, and F. Jackson. More RBs will get injured and miss a game. R. Bush was an injury risk and last year it worked out fine. I would have made that bet regarding R. Bush last year and I would have lost (although he did miss week 17). RM is no more an injury risk than R.Bush or DMac. as well as some other RBs. I hope he's good to go and remains that way but, no, I wouldn't be surprised if he got hurt again.

If by "get injured" you mean "miss a game due to injury," that's a really close call.Slightly more than half of all starting RBs who play in 16 games in Year N miss at least one game due to injury the following year. If there were 16 games left in the season, I'd bet on option #2 ("gets injured") for any starting RB.

But there are only 14 games left now, and it's easier to go 14 games without missing one than it is to go 16 games. The average healthy running back is probably about even money to go 14 games without missing time due to injury.

I don't believe that Ryan Mathews is more injury-prone than average based on his physical build or running style. He may be less likely than average to play through certain injuries, but I think he's matured in that respect. So my opinion is that Mathews is no more likely than average to miss time, which means he's probably about even money to make it through the next 14 games without missing a game due to injury. Flip a coin.
MT..I had Matthews the last two years and watched almost every game he has played in. Somes guys for whatever reason seem to hardly ever get dinged. IMO Matthews is not one of those guys. Almost every game I have watched and even the games he completes it always seems he is getting dinged in one way or another. Plus Matthews takes himself out of the game more than any RB I have seen in some time. Last year Tolbert got many of his carries after Matthews took himself out after getting tackled hard. I am sure Matthews is as tough as any RB..but for some reason he just seems to get nicked easier.

FLOOR: 15 touches for 50 yards and 0 TD -- as Atlanta jumps out to another early lead and SD is forced to throw into that tough ATL pass D. LIKELY: 23 touches for 125 yards and 1 TD -- likely a 70/30 split between rushing/recievingUPSIDE: 28 touches for 200 yards and 2TD -- If he has heart, he could be out to prove himself tonight and make a statement
Sounds about right. If the google is working for me the chargers have had the 2nd most redzone opportunities in the NFL this year. Mathews is going to help open up the passing game and allow them to do more on the ground, so even against a tough ATL D I think we'll have to expect what Denver did and I think Mathews upside is more along the lines of 25/200/3.

He will get normal use. He will get whatever he was going to get if was there in week 1 and 2. Maybe a little more with fresher legs. A bone is either healed or it isn't. If he is a cleared, there is no reason to ease him in.
Charles rogers broke his clavicle twice.
The breaks were a full year apart, so hard to say that the first break bore on the second -- I am not sure if it was even the same collarbone (you have two).Regardless, when you break a bone, the bone knits together at the site and can actually be stronger than the original. I broke my clavicle in college, and after the healing period it was 100% ready to go -- no loss of mobility or strength, and it wasn't as if I was handling it any gingerly that first week out of a sling. Then again, I was drunk most of the time.Anyway, I think the caution with Mathews is more valid if you are worried about rust, not bone.
Yeah, just mentioned it but don't really think it makes a hill of beans difference in this case. I think it WAS the same bone though because I think I remember them saying they put a plate over it after the second break.

Face it, most Mathews owners will be f'n thrilled if he survives the first hard hit to the shoulder. Everything else is "upside".

Disastrous day for the entire San Diego team, but Mathews looked decent and he came out of the game healthy.

Baby steps.

Users who are viewing this thread