What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Saints being investigated for putting bounties on players (1 Viewer)

Nevermind, I think I understand how you are misreading what has been said. Some things have been said in here several times so weren't all spelled out yet again in gory detail. The discussion in a more full context was basically this:

CalBear argued that trying to injure human beings is worse than trying to steal signals. I agree but that is neither here nor there.

Run It Up said he agreed but still thought the punishment should be the same as the Pats got.

I was pointing out that while a lot of the two situations are similar (Saints caught encouraging injuries, given second chance, lied, caught a second time... Pats caught videotaping, given second chance, caught again against Jets, tried to make excuses league said they didn't believe were honest).... the Saints also have the salary cap violation to be accounted for, which there was no additional offense as a parallel in Spygate.

So when I say the Saints punishment will likely be more than the Pats, it's because they both were caught in very similar fashion, but the Saints had two major violations (risk to player safety and salary cap violation) while the Pats had the one (videotaping signals).

No one is saying the Saints should be punished for a bonus program while some other team found guilty of having one shouldn't. The Pats weren't punished for one because they weren't found guilty of having one.

Nevermind, I think I understand how you are misreading what has been said. Some things have been said in here several times so weren't all spelled out yet again in gory detail. The discussion in a more full context was basically this:CalBear argued that trying to injure human beings is worse than trying to steal signals. I agree but that is neither here nor there. Run It Up said he agreed but still thought the punishment should be the same as the Pats got.I was pointing out that while a lot of the two situations are similar (Saints caught encouraging injuries, given second chance, lied, caught a second time... Pats caught videotaping, given second chance, caught again against Jets, tried to make excuses league said they didn't believe were honest).... the Saints also have the salary cap violation to be accounted for, which there was no additional offense as a parallel in Spygate.So when I say the Saints punishment will likely be more than the Pats, it's because they both were caught in very similar fashion, but the Saints had two major violations (risk to player safety and salary cap violation) while the Pats had the one (videotaping signals).No one is saying the Saints should be punished for a bonus program while some other team found guilty of having one shouldn't. The Pats weren't punished for one because they weren't found guilty of having one.
Greg, I do agree with a 1st and a 4th seems about right. I think we are on the same page now.

Glad we got on the same page. :thumbup:

You raise a totally different, worthwhile question though which is more, "If other teams had bonus programs are they going to get caught and found guilty too?" The NFL is looking into the Redskins and Bills because of Gregg Williams.

But don't expect the NFL to go investigate every single team in the league though to see if they had a bonus program. It wouldn't make good business sense for them to do so, and they are a business. Better for their interests is they send a message (via the Saints punishment) that will get teams to stop, and they draw a line in the sand and say you'd better not do it going forward. Thus solving the problems (player safety and salary cap) and get the issue out of the news as quickly as possible.

Some might say that is unfair to the Saints. Others will say the Saints were warned and given a second chance before being punished, so it is fair the rest of the league get a warning and second chance. I couldn't argue with the latter, and since it would support the NFL's best interest it's probably what'll happen is my guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some might say that is unfair to the Saints. Others will say the Saints were warned and given a second chance before being punished, so it is fair the rest of the league get a warning and second chance. I couldn't argue with the latter, and since it would support the NFL's best interest it's probably what'll happen is my guess.
Of course, the Saints already had a warning in this case. They're a two-time offender at this point.Also, what percentage of the NFL do you suppose a player who suffered a spinal injury might own after a lawsuit where he showed that the team who injured him used bounties?

Still believe Goodell is going to go completely Old Testament on them.

'CalBear said:
Intentionally trying to hurt human beings, and succeeding, is a more egregious offense than (sort of) cheating at a game. I think it's bizarre to claim otherwise.
If it must be compared this is pretty much how I feel. I still feel like the punishment should be comparable, in addition to a fine for each player involved.
I think the circumvention of the salary cap especially, combined with the above, make this worthy of a stiffer punishment, but not monstrously so. The Broncos lost a 3rd round pick for a much worse case of salary cap violation. The Patriots lost a 1st for Spygate. Something like a 1st and 4th might be appropriate here. The dollar amount of the Saints violation wasn't huge, but I think violating the cap is something the league has to show they take seriously, or teams will try to get around it.
So teams offering "bonus money" for int's and big plays and such aren't violating the teams salary cap?
:confused:If I didn't think the Saints actions violated the salary cap, I wouldn't have said they will get a stiffer penalty for having done so.
You missed my point... many former players and coaches have said that teams offer bonus money for big plays like int's, turnovers, etc (I'm not talking about bounties). Are all of these teams in violation of the cap also?
Any team paying players money that isn't included in their contract is violating the salary cap. The Saints don't work under a different set of rules from the rest of the league.What is your point?
That is exactly my point... the entire league should play by the same rules! Bounties aside, why would the league come down harder on the Saints for "violating the salary cap" by offering bonuses when it's been said by many former players and coaches that all teams offer some kind of "bonus" that is put into a pool for ints, fumble returns and such. If offering an off the record "bonus" for anything is a violation of the cap then wouldn't all teams be guilty of "violating the cap" and not just the Saints? I hope you get what I am saying now... it's a legit question.
I've been wondering, as a general question, how do accepted incentives and bonuses in contracts actually work in terms of the salary cap?I'm assuming, under salary cap terms, that bonuses/incentives must be stated in the contract and are subject to league approval to prevent shenanigans. (If that's the case, obviously, the Saints skipped that step in this case).But how are these handled for the salary cap figure?

So is Gregg Williams going to set a bounty on Brady Poppinga?

Rams linebacker Brady Poppinga, set to become a free agent next week, had some harsh words for current Rams defensive coordinator Gregg Williams and his bounty system practiced over the past three seasons in New Orleans.

He calls the practice "degrading," "animalistic" and "repulsive" in an interview with FOXSports.com. "I just can't sit there and be silent," Poppinga said. "I look at this as an opportunity to share with the public that we, as football players, are not barbaric and out to try and destroy everything in our path. Football is my profession and I take it seriously. It's an art form. It's technical, strategic and takes a lot of intelligence to play."

Poppinga said he's heard of cash incentives for performances such as holding a player under 100 yards rushing in a game, but bounties for injuries cross the line. Saints defenders for three seasons were compensated for "knock outs" and "cart-offs" of opponents from a cash pool which reached $50,000 at its height, according to the NFL.

"When this came out, it started to confirm the idea that football guys are idiots. That's not who we are. Ninety-five percent of the guys are very intelligent. It's just guys who love to go out and play a physical game."

Poppinga says he doesn't care if he's unlikely to be re-signed with the team after sharing his feelings about the new coordinator. "It is what it is," he says.

Still believe Goodell is going to go completely Old Testament on them.
Gooddell will absolutely not competitively cripple a team. I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed at the eventual punishments (hardly going out on a limb, I admit).

Link fixedhttp://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2012/03/nfl_has_given_no_indication_of.html

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2012/03/nfl_has_given_no_indication_of.htmlI actually think every day that passes before punishment is meted out helps the Saints a lot. A summary, quick-response punishment would have been a lot worse, I think.

I like how Bounty-gate is getting sent back to the bottom of the sports news cycle, too. Selection Sunday is this weekend, and then March Madness early-round games kick off before the March 26th NFL owners' meetings. People are saying punishment is coming before the owners' meetings, but it wouldn't surprise me at all to see the judgment delayed until past even that date.

Link fixedhttp://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2012/03/nfl_has_given_no_indication_of.html

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2012/03/nfl_has_given_no_indication_of.htmlI actually think every day that passes before punishment is meted out helps the Saints a lot. A summary, quick-response punishment would have been a lot worse, I think.

I like how Bounty-gate is getting sent back to the bottom of the sports news cycle, too. Selection Sunday is this weekend, and then March Madness early-round games kick off before the March 26th NFL owners' meetings. People are saying punishment is coming before the owners' meetings, but it wouldn't surprise me at all to see the judgment delayed until past even that date.
Thanks for the link repair.

I agree that the more this goes on, and the more they realize that this is extremely common, the better it will go for the Saints. Of course there will be punishment, but some people in here have lost their minds.

Thanks for the link repair.

I agree that the more this goes on, and the more they realize that this is extremely common, the better it will go for the Saints. Of course there will be punishment, but some people in here have lost their minds.
Drew Brees is one of the NFLs marquee players, and The Saints the "feel good" franchise of the NFL. I expect Goodell to come out and cover what all the teams are doing in terms of payouts. With Williams aready gone I don`t expect a very severe punishment at all. They want Brees to be playing in big games.

Now Greg Williams himself might get punished.

I've been wondering, as a general question, how do accepted incentives and bonuses in contracts actually work in terms of the salary cap?I'm assuming, under salary cap terms, that bonuses/incentives must be stated in the contract and are subject to league approval to prevent shenanigans. (If that's the case, obviously, the Saints skipped that step in this case).But how are these handled for the salary cap figure?
A bonus for the 2012 season is judged whether it is Likely To Be Earned (LTBE). If LTBE it is charged to the 2012 salary cap on the assumption it will be earned. If not, it isn't charged (yet).At the end of 2012, if bonuses actually paid exceed the salary cap charge, the extra amount is charged to the team's 2013 cap. If bonuses paid were less than the cap charge, then the difference is added to the team's 2013 cap, increasing their cap for the year.As to which bonuses are Likely To Be Earned, there are a lot of rules on it in the CBA. The usual ones that apply are... if it's solely in the control of the player like a reporting bonus or a weight bonus, it is LTBE. For a performance bonus and the player (or team) achieved the level last year, it's LTBE. Any bonus the first year of a rookie's contract is automatically considered LTBE. For performance bonuses, if a veteran did not play the year before so you don't have statistics to compare to, then the NFL and NFLPA collectively agree whether it is LTBE, and if they can't agree it goes to the Arbitrator for a final ruling. So Peyton Manning getting a bonus for 4000 yards would be an example of that provision.

Drew Brees is one of the NFLs marquee players, and The Saints the "feel good" franchise of the NFL. I expect Goodell to come out and cover what all the teams are doing in terms of payouts. With Williams aready gone I don`t expect a very severe punishment at all. They want Brees to be playing in big games.

Now Greg Williams himself might get punished.
The Saints aren't teh "feel good" franchise at the moment :D But on a different tack: outsiders may not realize this, but between around 1999 and early 2006, the Saints were at very real risk of relocation (first L.A., then San Antonio immediately after Katrina). Lots of people locally worked overtime with Tom Benson during those years to keep the Saints in New Orleans (e.g. then-La. governor Mike Foster supporting direct cash outlays from the state to the Saints, the construction of modern office/practice facilities, etc.). In addition, over $120,000,000 in FEMA recovery dollars went into a double-time repair of the Superdome in time for the 2006 Saints home opener. With a refurbished Dome and a surprise success on the field, Benson ceased his flirtations at San Antonio and instead re-dedicated himseld and his team to New Orleans. The team financed further Superdome renovation, enough to garner another Super Bowl hosting gig this year. Benson personally financed a refurbishment and re-opening of the Katrina-shuttered Hyatt hotel next to the Superdome. That investment, in turn, is leading to a retail rennaisance in the area (the site of a Katrina-ruined shopping district).

OK. That seemed to go far afield, I know. But the point is that there are have been a lot of complex moving parts and a lot of effort focused on keeping the Saints in New Orleans, on bringing the Superdome up to 21st-century standards, and on re-igniting one of still-recovering New Orleans' major economic engines.

If Goodell truly drives a stake through the Saints' heart, a lot of that effort goes for naught. There are many, many more stakeholders at play here than just the NFL, NFLPA, and indivdual players & coaches. I'd go so far as to say that Goodell is not actually free to drop the hammer completely on the Saints. There's a balance to be struck between (a) punishment that "sends a message", and (b) punishment that does no real economic or competitive harm to the team down the road. I believe part of the time-biding that's now being done is being spent on figuring out just this right level of punishment.

Why I bolded "Gregg Williams" above -- I'm thinking the punishment of individuals here will be more scathing than any franchise-level punishment. People may feel like "the Saints got off light!" ... but honestly: if the indiividuals involved serve suspensions and pay fines, what point is there in taking much more money out of Tom Benson's pocket? Or of taking away half of a draft?

if the indiividuals involved serve suspensions and pay fines, what point is there in taking much more money out of Tom Benson's pocket? Or of taking away half of a draft?
I would be floored if they took away half a draft assuming that includes a 1st round pick. The point in taking both picks and cash, is deterrence. Some owners (Buffalo?) might rather give up a draft pick than money. But I think if you gave most owners the choice of keeping a million dollars or a 1st round pick, you wouldn't finish the sentence before they'd have already chose to keep the pick. Heck, most owners would BUY a 1st round pick for a million if anyone was willing to sell one.

It's very comparable to players and fines vs suspensions. Rodney Harrison said on MNF that he never really cared when he was fined. He didn't start caring until he was suspended and wasn't able to be on the field.

A team having to choose one way or the other, success matters more to most owners than does a fine that isn't a very big chunk of their net worth. Punish just the employees and the next owner will feel he can do the same thing, and if caught his employees take the fall while he gets off relatively light.

Intentionally trying to hurt human beings, and succeeding, is a more egregious offense than (sort of) cheating at a game. I think it's bizarre to claim otherwise.
If it must be compared this is pretty much how I feel. I still feel like the punishment should be comparable, in addition to a fine for each player involved.
I think the circumvention of the salary cap especially, combined with the above, make this worthy of a stiffer punishment, but not monstrously so. The Broncos lost a 3rd round pick for a much worse case of salary cap violation. The Patriots lost a 1st for Spygate. Something like a 1st and 4th might be appropriate here. The dollar amount of the Saints violation wasn't huge, but I think violating the cap is something the league has to show they take seriously, or teams will try to get around it.
So teams offering "bonus money" for int's and big plays and such aren't violating the teams salary cap?
:confused:If I didn't think the Saints actions violated the salary cap, I wouldn't have said they will get a stiffer penalty for having done so.
You missed my point... many former players and coaches have said that teams offer bonus money for big plays like int's, turnovers, etc (I'm not talking about bounties). Are all of these teams in violation of the cap also?
If there is a monetary change of hands, then yes.

Punish just the employees and the next owner will feel he can do the same thing, and if caught his employees take the fall while he gets off relatively light.
In this case, the owner was not complicit in the offense, though. It's like if a Microsoft employee robbed my house (I know, but stay with me here) -- I couldn't go after Microsoft or Bill Gates for civil penalties.And no matter what happens here, there will be no absolute deterrence. Ten years down the road, if a group of defenders from some team decide to institute a similar scheme, they won't think for a second the penalties that befell the Saints in 2012. They'll think about avoiding mention on social media, texts, and e-mail; and they'll think about locking down even harder on the "first rule of Fight Club"... and that's about it.

If there is a monetary change of hands, then yes.
Scott Fujita and Darren Sharper -- among with many other current and recently-retired players -- have copped to chipping in small bills to lower-paid guys for conventional big plays (totally aside from the cart-off bounty scheme). I've not seen it addressed if player-to-player payments under X amount is codified as a violation of the NFL's salary cap policy.Obviously, there's some limits in place, as you can't have Player B laundering significant amounts of off-the-books team payments to Player A. But the "bounty" payments (or the more innocent and widespread "big play rewards") may fall in the same bucket as picking up the check in a pricey steakhouse, ciovering the VIP lounge tab in a club, etc.

Punish just the employees and the next owner will feel he can do the same thing, and if caught his employees take the fall while he gets off relatively light.
In this case, the owner was not complicit in the offense, though. It's like if a Microsoft employee robbed my house (I know, but stay with me here) -- I couldn't go after Microsoft or Bill Gates for civil penalties.And no matter what happens here, there will be no absolute deterrence. Ten years down the road, if a group of defenders from some team decide to institute a similar scheme, they won't think for a second the penalties that befell the Saints in 2012. They'll think about avoiding mention on social media, texts, and e-mail; and they'll think about locking down even harder on the "first rule of Fight Club"... and that's about it.
The Saints employees were on the job in their violations though. If some Microsoft employee robs your house on his own you can't go after Microsoft. If you pay Microsoft to send him out and provide you with tech support and he robs you while in your house, or better yet does something tied to the job directly like intentionally infects your computer with a trojan virus, you certainly could go after Microsoft.There may not be absolute deterrence, but I think if the NFL comes down as comparatively hard as they did on the Patriots, that the bonus practice will mostly dry up.

What competitive edge was gained by the Saints through this practice? They still were officiated like every other team. They still had to adhere to the same set of rules. Take the emotion out of the picture and you will see that Spygate was a more egregious offense.
Where's the evidence that they "succeeded"? Again, the Saints were only involved in 18 injuries over a 54 game span according to a WSJ review of all games over that period. Seems pretty light by NFL standards.
That is irrelevant to the discussion - it was their intent, which is the issue. Goodell didn't care that their was no evidence that the Patriots actually succeeded with spygate, and the same reasoning will apply here when he brings the hammer down.
If it's irrelevant, take it up with Calbear--he's the one that claimed that the Saints "succeeded" in causing injuries when the facts suggest otherwise--which also goes to "intent". If you "intend" to injure opposing players and only "succeed" 18 times in 54 games, that draws into question whether there was more "intent" by the Saints than anyone else.
http://backseatfan.com/2010/02/brett-favre-injury-pictures/
Again, you're going to have to find a lot more evidence beyond Favre as to who was injured by the Saints. It's amusing that this has turned into an "OMG they mis-treated BRETT FAVRE!!!" situation. It's really astounding that they can't point to any other game besides one where the media's golden boy was roughed up.
I think using Favre as an example in this situation is obvious. It was an extremely memorable game...the NFC championship and Favre took a beating in that game. I remember thinking during the game that the Saints were trying to take him out. Add in the fact that a minimum of three of those hits were illegal(not called), and it's pretty obvious why people use this as an example. I get that it's a violent game, but attempting to injure someone(possibly end their career) is just unacceptable. I agree with those who say what the NFL players do, trickle down to the college and HS levels. If that is the case, do you want your teenage son on the field? I hope the Saints receive a brutal punishment. This really needs to stop. While they're at it, they need to come down way harder on guys like Haynesworth and Suh who think it's ok to stomp on people after the play is over. It's assault...plain and simple and has nothing to do with the game.

Tom Benson and Sean Payton are in NYC meeting with the league today. The league has still said no timetable on a resolution as the investigation is still going. NFLPA doing their own investigation too.

Next year it would be funny if someone lays out Brees or Meachem or some offensive player for the 'Aints and then walks over to the Saints sideline and pulls money out and tosses it on the ground

Jason LaCanfora story on NFL.com saying the NFL is meeting Tuesday and Wednesday to discuss the punishments and a decision is expected by the end of the week.

Nevermind, I think I understand how you are misreading what has been said. Some things have been said in here several times so weren't all spelled out yet again in gory detail. The discussion in a more full context was basically this:CalBear argued that trying to injure human beings is worse than trying to steal signals. I agree but that is neither here nor there. Run It Up said he agreed but still thought the punishment should be the same as the Pats got.I was pointing out that while a lot of the two situations are similar (Saints caught encouraging injuries, given second chance, lied, caught a second time... Pats caught videotaping, given second chance, caught again against Jets, tried to make excuses league said they didn't believe were honest).... the Saints also have the salary cap violation to be accounted for, which there was no additional offense as a parallel in Spygate.So when I say the Saints punishment will likely be more than the Pats, it's because they both were caught in very similar fashion, but the Saints had two major violations (risk to player safety and salary cap violation) while the Pats had the one (videotaping signals).No one is saying the Saints should be punished for a bonus program while some other team found guilty of having one shouldn't. The Pats weren't punished for one because they weren't found guilty of having one.
A little late, but just for everyones information, I hadnt even considered the implications of violating the salary cap. Im not sure how involved the higher ups were I just felt like it was important on top of the teams punishment to punish individuals suspected of profiting off of it. Send a message to players not making top dollar that if you try to circumvent the "play better get paid better" system by working for bonuses (specifically the bad ones, I think incentives for big plays is a different story all together and the union should meet with the NFL and work something out) you will be punished.

Next year it would be funny if someone lays out Brees or Meachem or some offensive player for the 'Aints and then walks over to the Saints sideline and pulls money out and tosses it on the ground
Well, then it just turns into a cheap-shot battle royale. You think the Saints players would just sit back and say "yeah, we had that coming?"

'ArcticEdge said:
:goodposting:
that would be great if you like the WWE. and really wishing ill upon someone who wasn't even involved seemed kind of trivial as well. if people think other teams don't have bounty programs of some form or another, they are kidding themselves. if some giants dlineman would have knocked brady of the super bowl, I am sure someone would be getting a nice check or cash. if some ravens player takes ben out of the game, i am sure someone is going to get paid for such action.

'ArcticEdge said:
that would be great if you like the WWE. and really wishing ill upon someone who wasn't even involved seemed kind of trivial as well. if people think other teams don't have bounty programs of some form or another, they are kidding themselves. if some giants dlineman would have knocked brady of the super bowl, I am sure someone would be getting a nice check or cash. if some ravens player takes ben out of the game, i am sure someone is going to get paid for such action.
I think the difference is that other teams don't flagrantly go after players after the whistle like the Saints have been doing for years. I didn't know there were so many clost Tanya Harding fans on this forum.

'ArcticEdge said:
Kind of like the WWE where a wrestler pulls a pen out and signs a football? Or grabs pom poms and cheers with a cheerleader? Or putts the football like a golfer with an end zone pylon? Or a guys does a row row row your boat after scoring a TD? Or a players does sit ups in the end zone after scoring? Does a faux mooning of the crowd? Chainsawing the goalpost? Players running over and tearing down a sign that is hanging up or grabbing one and pleading with the NFL not to fine him? Or a player proposing to a cheerleader? Or using his cellphone after scoring a TD?Nope. The NFL has NEVER been like the WWE have they?

'mphtrilogy said:
I think colston signed becuase the saints know they will be a little thin on picks this year...
Think there was a bounty on Colston if he signed elsewhere? ;)

I actually think every day that passes before punishment is meted out helps the Saints a lot. A summary, quick-response punishment would have been a lot worse, I think.

Was supposed to come down Friday, according to some sources, but Goodell has pronounced nothing.Something is being negotiated, and I'm betting it's in the Saints favor. Not down to a slap-on-the-wrist, no ... but probably down from 50 swats with a cane down to, say, 5 swats. The punishment must serve a PR purpose, must be seen as "strict enough" (but it WILL get slammed, guaranteed), and at the same time not really impact the Saints competitively.

Adam Schefter ‏ @AdamSchefter

Sean Payton suspended one year. Mickey Loomis 8 game and $500,000 fine. Saints fined $500,000 and a second round pick in 2012 and 2012.

:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread