What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sam Bradford (3 Viewers)

I'll get more into this as I break down tape this offseason, but the guy Bradford has always reminded me of is Peyton Manning. :yes:Ideal Stature, Eerie Accuracy, Great Field Vision, Terrific Touch on the Deep Ball, Not the Most Athletic, but Moves Around Pocket Well, Mental Toughness not Sterling, but Mostly Good...Of course NFL comparisons for college prospects are for entertainment purposes only.
:(I didn't want to say that name, but I agree. Whoever is saying that Bradford doesn't have NFL arm strength must be watching a different Sam Bradford from the one I'm seeing.

Arm strength is hugely overrated anyway.

Playing QB in the NFL is about poise, accuracy, and making quick decisions.

You people who think arm strength is the most important trait of an elite QB are fooling yourselves. Just look at Kyle Boller and Jamarcus Russel from recent years. When your scouting a player, try not to get too enamoured on one trait, especially for a QB.
You people? Okay.You people who think you can know how some kid is going to react the pressure of being a starting NFL QB are fooling yourselves. Further, if you think you can evaluate how he's going to react to the pressure of Albert Haynesworth and the like bearing down on him.... well, I think you're delusional.It's a crap shoot drafting a QB high in the draft. Choosing one with a big arm is done because GMs would rather have it than not. It's something that CAN be evaluated objectively.

I don't disagree with this bold statement. I just don't believe you can properly evaluate it in college quarterbacks.

I don't disagree with this bold statement. I just don't believe you can properly evaluate it in college quarterbacks.
I think it was pretty easy to see with Matt Ryan and I think it's pretty apparent with Sam Bradford.Not calling you out specifically Enforcer, (this is more a general statement) but I'm already tired of hearing people talk down Bradford as a guy that's just a "system" quarterback that has all day to throw behind his NFL ready offensive line. It's just not true and the internet is full of that nonsensical chatter.

The reason that most spread offense QBs don't make it is because the spread typically is a one read offense where if the guy isn't open then the QB takes off. Bradford isn't that way. He goes through his progressions and if the play breaks down then he can make a play with his feet and is amazingly accurate on the run.

Having said that, Stafford might be the better QB, but I've seen Bradford much more than Stafford so I can't make a good comparison.

I think it was pretty easy to see with Matt Ryan and I think it's pretty apparent with Sam Bradford.Not calling you out specifically Enforcer, (this is more a general statement) but I'm already tired of hearing people talk down Bradford as a guy that's just a "system" quarterback that has all day to throw behind his NFL ready offensive line. It's just not true and the internet is full of that nonsensical chatter.

The reason that most spread offense QBs don't make it is because the spread typically is a one read offense where if the guy isn't open then the QB takes off. Bradford isn't that way. He goes through his progressions and if the play breaks down then he can make a play with his feet and is amazingly accurate on the run.

Having said that, Stafford might be the better QB, but I've seen Bradford much more than Stafford so I can't make a good comparison.
wasn't the biggest knock on Ryan his accuracy? or maybe it was just that he threw too many INTs - but either decision making or accuracy plays a part in that.

FUBAR said:
Andy Dufresne said:
Enforcer said:

wasn't the biggest knock on Ryan his accuracy? or maybe it was just that he threw too many INTs - but either decision making or accuracy plays a part in that.
Ryan was a little above or below 60% for most of his career, but some of that had to be discounted because he was the whole offense at BC, and he did not have any talented passcatchers or RBs to make plays and take some heat off of him.While the 60% accuracy implies so-so (although Cutler had similar numbers in a similar situation), if you watched Ryan, you saw a guy always trying to put the ball in the perfect window for run after catch, not just "aiming" for the vicinity of the receiver, and you also saw a guy who could put the ball in odd windows from all kinds of platforms, definitely a skill needed in the NFL.

As far as the INTs go, his total of 19 last year was why some were calling for him to be a bust in the NFL, but most of his INTs were the "trying to do too much" variety, and some were throws where he trusted his read of the coverage too much and didn't account for an LB dropping back into coverage or a DB peeling off his man to jump a route. They were all "positive thinking" INTs, as opposed to the Grossman type INT when the QB just throws the ball up for grabs to get it out of his hands because the defense wants to hit the guy with the ball, or the Favre/McNabb INT when the QB just inexplicably throws the ball directly to a defender or to no one in particular.

One of the "mental attributes" I scout in QBs is positive vs negative thinking - is the QB always seeing positive possibilities and trying to make them happen when the play breaks down, or are they trying to avoid negative plays and get caught holding the ball too long or being tentative and missing a possible play. Ben Roethlisberger is a QB who will exhibit both tendencies, sometimes in the same game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Enforcer said:
You people who think arm strength is the most important trait of an elite QB are fooling themselves. Just look at Kyle Boller and Jamarcus Russel from recent years.

When your scouting a player, try not to get too enamoured on one trait, especially for a QB.
You people? Okay.You people who think you can know how some kid is going to react the pressure of being a starting NFL QB are fooling yourselves. Further, if you think you can evaluate how he's going to react to the pressure of Albert Haynesworth and the like bearing down on him.... well, I think you're delusional.

It's a crap shoot drafting a QB high in the draft. Choosing one with a big arm is done because GMs would rather have it than not. It's something that CAN be evaluated objectively.
apologies for making a grammar error, i mistakenly thought i wasn't writing on a forum...I wouldn't say it's impossible to determine how a college QB is going to react to NFL pressure at all. Just look for traits like is the QB able to throw on the run, is the QB able to sense pressure while he's in the pocket, does he get jumpy while the pocket is collapsing around him or does he stay calm, and basically decision making is perhaps the most important quality that seperates QB prospects.

If it were truly a crapshoot to draft a QB high in the draft, than no NFL GM would do it.

Last edited:
How is this guy different from Matt Leinart? I mean Bloom hasnt been particulary good evaluating QBs, Leinart looked every bit as good as Bradford did and tore apart far superior defenses than Bradford has ever played. Jason White looked great behind a similar offense to this one. Like Leinart Bradford doesnt wow you with his physical tools, and Im not sure he has the zip on the ball to succeed at the next level, Stafford on the other hand has faced far superior passing defenses and has a cannon for an arm, I think Jurb hit the nail on the head with this one.

If it were truly a crapshoot to draft a QB high in the draft, than no NFL GM would do it.
I disagree. It's not the lottery but sometimes it seems it's a game of chance like the lottery. If a GM nails it on a QB(like with Peyton) the franchise is all but guaranteed of being competitive for 10 years. One key building block is in place and it's easier to build a team. Depending how you think of it, it's a considerable deal to land a franchise QB.If you look at the number of WRs drafted every year and the number that make teams, you'll see just how GMs flat out love to be teased by "measurables" like speed and height and sheer potential.GMs are the most accurate at drafting Kicker and Fullback. It's not 100% it just seems that way. Almost everyone drafted is a contributor for a number of years. However, very few are drafted-sometimes none at all. There's not much of a tease here and not even a chance they score some huge touchdown total or garner 20 sacks etc. To take it further, how many Ks and FBs(that were blockers) are in the HOF?If there's a player with insane "measurables" he'll be drafted. Any other quality just serves to increase his value in the draft. Those first round QBs seem to have every quality a team is looking for and whatever "small" thing they're missing can (supposedly) be taught-even Ryan Leaf and Heath Shuler. The tease is too great, they'll be picked just like all those WRs that never make it.

Ryan was a little above or below 60% for most of his career, but some of that had to be discounted because he was the whole offense at BC, and he did not have any talented passcatchers or RBs to make plays and take some heat off of him.While the 60% accuracy implies so-so (although Cutler had similar numbers in a similar situation), if you watched Ryan, you saw a guy always trying to put the ball in the perfect window for run after catch, not just "aiming" for the vicinity of the receiver, and you also saw a guy who could put the ball in odd windows from all kinds of platforms, definitely a skill needed in the NFL.

As far as the INTs go, his total of 19 last year was why some were calling for him to be a bust in the NFL, but most of his INTs were the "trying to do too much" variety, and some were throws where he trusted his read of the coverage too much and didn't account for an LB dropping back into coverage or a DB peeling off his man to jump a route. They were all "positive thinking" INTs, as opposed to the Grossman type INT when the QB just throws the ball up for grabs to get it out of his hands because the defense wants to hit the guy with the ball, or the Favre/McNabb INT when the QB just inexplicably throws the ball directly to a defender or to no one in particular.

One of the "mental attributes" I scout in QBs is positive vs negative thinking - is the QB always seeing positive possibilities and trying to make them happen when the play breaks down, or are they trying to avoid negative plays and get caught holding the ball too long or being tentative and missing a possible play. Ben Roethlisberger is a QB who will exhibit both tendencies, sometimes in the same game.
this is very interesting.. we often talk about the intangibles... attitude, intelligence, awareness... other than the lousy wonderlic, there aren't many quantitative evaluations of the "Intangible" hence them being Intangible..

optimism, attitude.. I would appreciate some kind of study around such details.. and evaluations to successful QBs and BUSTs...

what are the common elements to Akili Smith, Matt Ryan, Peyton Manning, Dan Marino, Aikman, Favre, Ryan Leaf, Leinart, Warner, Brady,jim Kelly, Elway, harrington, Carr, .. and their differences..

Attitude, approach to the game, Leadership.. at every level.. I think the the NFL top shelf QBs, have had BOTH Leadership and physical skills, and the intangibles appear to be more successful than the statistical leaders, harbaugh, vs leaf...

Bloom, selfish request, as I am in a contract league, and have no QB in 2009... please devise, or expose us (me) to some method to measure these characteristics...and comparatively evaluate...

thanks

How is this guy different from Matt Leinart? I mean Bloom hasnt been particulary good evaluating QBs, Leinart looked every bit as good as Bradford did and tore apart far superior defenses than Bradford has ever played. Jason White looked great behind a similar offense to this one. Like Leinart Bradford doesnt wow you with his physical tools, and Im not sure he has the zip on the ball to succeed at the next level, Stafford on the other hand has faced far superior passing defenses and has a cannon for an arm, I think Jurb hit the nail on the head with this one.
Bradford looks better than Leinart ever did. I was never impressed with Leinart's arm strength, however I did like his decision making. Leinart wasn't nearly as accurate while on the move as Bradford is. And saying that Leinart faced better defenses in the Pac 10 than Bradford does in the Big 12 seems like a real stretch to me. And Leinart's stats, while impressive, doesn't fall into the "tearing apart" realm for me.I don't get the knock on Bradford's arm strength. It looks more than sufficient to me. The pass that opened my eyes was the TD to Iglesias (I think) last game where he started to slide to his right, found the WR in the end zone, and with barely a flick of the wrist threw about a 15 yd strike right to him. I wonder if it's because he doesn't have a violent throwing motion that people are getting deceived as to how strong his arm is.

Again, Stafford might be the better QB, I'll pay more attention to him during bowl his bowl game, but Bradford has all the tools to succeed at the pro level.

The guy that reminds me of Leinart is Tebow, and it's not just because he's left handed. I mean when throwing the ball, not running, obviously.

Bradford looks better than Leinart ever did. I was never impressed with Leinart's arm strength, however I did like his decision making. Leinart wasn't nearly as accurate while on the move as Bradford is. And saying that Leinart faced better defenses in the Pac 10 than Bradford does in the Big 12 seems like a real stretch to me. And Leinart's stats, while impressive, doesn't fall into the "tearing apart" realm for me.I don't get the knock on Bradford's arm strength. It looks more than sufficient to me. The pass that opened my eyes was the TD to Iglesias (I think) last game where he started to slide to his right, found the WR in the end zone, and with barely a flick of the wrist threw about a 15 yd strike right to him. I wonder if it's because he doesn't have a violent throwing motion that people are getting deceived as to how strong his arm is.

Again, Stafford might be the better QB, I'll pay more attention to him during bowl his bowl game, but Bradford has all the tools to succeed at the pro level.

The guy that reminds me of Leinart is Tebow, and it's not just because he's left handed. I mean when throwing the ball, not running, obviously.
:goodposting: Can you expand on this? I really don't see that one at all.

this is very interesting.. we often talk about the intangibles... attitude, intelligence, awareness... other than the lousy wonderlic, there aren't many quantitative evaluations of the "Intangible" hence them being Intangible..

optimism, attitude.. I would appreciate some kind of study around such details.. and evaluations to successful QBs and BUSTs...

what are the common elements to Akili Smith, Matt Ryan, Peyton Manning, Dan Marino, Aikman, Favre, Ryan Leaf, Leinart, Warner, Brady,jim Kelly, Elway, harrington, Carr, .. and their differences..

Attitude, approach to the game, Leadership.. at every level.. I think the the NFL top shelf QBs, have had BOTH Leadership and physical skills, and the intangibles appear to be more successful than the statistical leaders, harbaugh, vs leaf...

Bloom, selfish request, as I am in a contract league, and have no QB in 2009... please devise, or expose us (me) to some method to measure these characteristics...and comparatively evaluate...

thanks
I just don't think you are ever really going to get to have a strong evaluation on what you are looking for unless you work for a NFL team and get to interview these players. Hence, it is so hard to evaluate QBs. One thing that I happen to like to see when trying to project QBs however is the type of offense they are in and also how has the guy handled adversity. Now, projecting that adversity outward is still a crap shoot because it becomes multiplied so drastically at the NFL level. By adversity, I mean facing a pass rush, throwing into tight spots, handling a blitz, ect. On field adversity. Recent QBs who have had success seem to have faced these things... Ryan, Cutler, Flacco. As for the offensive scheme, did it require progression of reads and does it challenge the QB to make NFL type throws? Stafford is ranked #1 for me (and has been for 2 years now) because of this. The Georgia offense is very NFL friendly. It is based of progression of reads and forces him to make nearly every NFL type throw. Which he does with ease. It is based on him staying in the pocket and "staring down the gun barrel" as Norris put it. He has faced some adversity in the fact that his Oline has been riddled with injuries and protection has been lack luster. Furthermore, he has made notable improvements each year:
Code:
YEAR	 CMP 	ATT 	YDS 	CMP% 	YPA 	LNG 	TD 	INT 	SACK 	RAT2006 	135 	256 	1749 	52.7 	6.83 	53 	7 	13 	12 	108.992007 	194 	348 	2523 	55.7 	7.25 	84 	19 	10 	15 	128.922008 	215 	352 	3209 	61.1 	9.12 	78 	22 	9 	15 	153.17
He has also done so in the conference that is widely recognized as the most difficult competition and group of defenses in college football.

http://video.aol.com/partner/espn/mcshay-a...ady-qbs/3762596

Kiper likes Stafford then Bradford, mentioning Stafford's cannon arm while talking about Bradfords ability to handle pressure. He did however mention P. Manning when referring to Bradford as others in this thread have.

McShay likes Bradford over Stafford, mentioning accuracy for Bradofrd as his #1 trait in evaluatiing a QB prospect. Talks about Stafford's inconsistency (mainly in accuracy).

Will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Reminds me a little of the Leaf-Manning debate from years past. Leaf (Stafford) was the big arm and Manning (Bradford) was the accurate one.

We all know how that worked out. :thumbup:

Kiper likes Stafford then Bradford, mentioning Stafford's cannon arm while talking about Bradfords ability to handle pressure. He did however mention P. Manning when referring to Bradford as others in this thread have.

McShay likes Bradford over Stafford, mentioning accuracy for Bradofrd as his #1 trait in evaluatiing a QB prospect. Talks about Stafford's inconsistency (mainly in accuracy).

Reminds me a little of the Leaf-Manning debate from years past. Leaf (Stafford) was the big arm and Manning (Bradford) was the accurate one.

We all know how that worked out. :D
Stafford's main problems with accuracy have come early in games when it seems he is still a bit too "jacked up" and needs to settle down. From what I've seen he normally does once he gets a bit more comfortable or less excited. Most of the time the inaccuracy stems from throwing the ball to hard or far. It's a valid knock from the games I've watched.BTW, I would say these 2 are more reminiscent of Leinert/Cutler. Cutler = Stafford, Leinert = Bradford and we know how that turned out. ;)

We all know how that worked out. ;)
Stafford's main problems with accuracy have come early in games when it seems he is still a bit too "jacked up" and needs to settle down. From what I've seen he normally does once he gets a bit more comfortable or less excited. Most of the time the inaccuracy stems from throwing the ball to hard or far. It's a valid knock from the games I've watched.BTW, I would say these 2 are more reminiscent of Leinert/Cutler. Cutler = Stafford, Leinert = Bradford and we know how that turned out. ;)
Touche :D

Looking at highlights a little closer...and I'm no authority whatsoever...but isn't Bradford's release point a little low?

:thumbup: Can you expand on this? I really don't see that one at all.
I really can't other than to say in my eyes (and I in no way profess to be an expert here), the thing that really stands out about both guys velocity on their throws is that the ball doesn't seem to have a very high RPM. The thing that I notice is that a guy might be able to throw a tight spiral, where the ball doesn't wobble, but it lacks "zip" because of it's lack of rotation. Both Leinart and Tebow, to me, look like they throw lazy balls (teehee!).Admittedly though, that might be my bias against lefties. I've never thought they threw all that hard, including Steve Young.

Looking at highlights a little closer...and I'm no authority whatsoever...but isn't Bradford's release point a little low?
I'll look closer next time, but I haven't seen that. And at 6'4", It might be okay if it is.BTW - Has anyone noticed how much Bradford looks like Jim Plunkett?
Bradford is part Cherokee.I *think* Plunkett has some native blood too, he's definitely Latino.

There have been some good Native American pro QBs over the years, Sonny Sixkiller (CFL), Joe Kapp... Bradford will be the next.

Andy Dufresne said:
gump said:
I'll look closer next time, but I haven't seen that. And at 6'4", It might be okay if it is.BTW - Has anyone noticed how much Bradford looks like Jim Plunkett?
I just noticed it again during the ESPN Heisman talk. It looks like the ball comes off his shoulder...where as Manning has the textbook release off his ear.

May not mean anything though...didn't Rivers also have that critique? <_<

Andy Dufresne said:
gump said:
I just noticed it again during the ESPN Heisman talk. It looks like the ball comes off his shoulder...where as Manning has the textbook release off his ear.

May not mean anything though...didn't Rivers also have that critique? :lmao:
Rivers had that critique, plus his unorthodox delivery that makes it look like he's "pushing" the ball.I don't think release point is a big issue unless a QB is around 6'0" or under, and even then it can be minimized if the QB knows how to throw from different arm slots to create passing lanes.

Users who are viewing this thread