What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sam Bradford (1 Viewer)

ADP

Footballguy
Best QB in nation. Should win the Heisman (Tebow finishes 2nd) and should be 1st QB taken in 09 NFL draft (assuming he declares).

Looks like a future NFL (fantasy) stud. Matt Ryan this year = Sam Bradford next year.

I can hear it now......Sam Bradford to Calvin Johnson for a TD!!

I know the Bucs have no chance of getting them..

One day, however, I would love for the Bucs to have a franchise QB

Please god don't declare. It could be dynsasty with this guy at the helm for the next three years.

I like Bradford a great deal and see him as the #2 QB in this class behind Staford. Boy it would sure be nice to see this guy get pressure some time though. OU probably has the best Oline in the nation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Bradford a great deal and see him as the #2 QB in this class behind Staford. Boy it would sure be nice to see this guy get pressure some time though. OU probably has the best Oline in the nation.
Bradford>Stafford and Bradford comes back for his senior season IMO.

He's only a sophomore, so he actually has two years of eligibility remaining. I think he'll be a top 10 pick whenever he declares. It's just hard to say whether that will happen in 2009 or 2010. QB is the one position where I think you can justify turning down the money since experience is so important. At the same time, he could be QB1 in this draft right now if he comes out. That kind of money is hard to ignore.

He's only a sophomore, so he actually has two years of eligibility remaining. I think he'll be a top 10 pick whenever he declares. It's just hard to say whether that will happen in 2009 or 2010.

QB is the one position where I think you can justify turning down the money since experience is so important. At the same time, he could be QB1 in this draft right now if he comes out. That kind of money is hard to ignore.
He's a third year sophomore who is eligible for the 2009 draft but I consider him a junior (and he's referred to as a Junior in some circles) because of his academic standing. The extra year almost assures he will return for one more year and then come out as a possible #1 overall in 2010.
NORMAN, Okla. — At least one NFL draft projection has the top overall pick next year being Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford. There’s only one problem with that.

“I don’t think that makes a lot of sense,” Bradford said, “considering I’m going to be in school next year.”

Bradford, who stacks up as Oklahoma’s top NFL quarterback prospect, will be eligible for the draft for the first time at the end of this season. He’s only a sophomore in eligibility, but he redshirted his first season on campus, giving him the required three years since

high school.

Best QB in nation. Should win the Heisman (Tebow finishes 2nd) and should be 1st QB taken in 09 NFL draft (assuming he declares). Looks like a future NFL (fantasy) stud. Matt Ryan this year = Sam Bradford next year. I can hear it now......Sam Bradford to Calvin Johnson for a TD!!
The #1 pick will be Andre Smith not a QB. Millen is gone

He will have to adjust a little playing under center, but Bradford has the makings of a star, franchise qb. If I had to make a comparison to a current NFL player, it would be Peyton Manning. Seriously.

He impressed me with his scrambles last night. I'm a big OU fan and could only dream of him playing for the purple!

Best QB in nation. Should win the Heisman (Tebow finishes 2nd) and should be 1st QB taken in 09 NFL draft (assuming he declares). Looks like a future NFL (fantasy) stud. Matt Ryan this year = Sam Bradford next year. I can hear it now......Sam Bradford to Calvin Johnson for a TD!!
The #1 pick will be Andre Smith not a QB. Millen is gone
Just cause Millen is gone means you won't take Crabtree :lmao: That said, I think with the QB issues, Detroit would be hard pressed to pass up a possible franchise savior in Bradford.Look what Ryan has done for Atlanta.

I think its very possible Bradford returns. I also think its very possible he is #1 pick. That will be very hard to pass up and most likely he won't if all signs point that way.Oh and Bradford >>>> Stafford.

I agree that Sam Bradford has been absolutely tremendous this year. Right now, he's probably the front runner for the Heisman in my mind. I have some questions as it pertains to him in the NFL.

People have talked about guys like Josh Freeman and Matt Stafford being highly regarded potential first rounders because they run more of a pro style offense even though their college careers pale in comparison to a guy like Bradford, as opposed to the spread offense that more and more teams are running. I have read that NFL scouts tend to be a little leery of drafting quarterbacks highly who hardly ever take snaps from under center.

Does the fact that Bradford runs a spread offense (and granted he runs it very well) significantly hurt his draft stock? If he's going to be a top 10 pick, obviously not. If scouts aren't concerned about him running the spread, why not?

Does the fact that Bradford runs a spread offense (and granted he runs it very well) significantly hurt his draft stock? If he's going to be a top 10 pick, obviously not. If scouts aren't concerned about him running the spread, why not?
With a lot of spread quartebacks, the scheme makes them appear better than they are. No so with Bradford. He is a tremendous passer, who can read a defense and make every throw. He has great touch on his passes and seems to always hit the receiver in stride. He also consistently drops the ball perfectly over the defender on deep passes.I have only really been able to watch Stafford play one game, and was very impressed with what I saw. but it is a small sample size. I have seen Bradford in several games, he is the real deal, no question.

I wrote some specific observations in my scouting thread of the Cincy-Oklahoma game:

Scouting the Future - Cincy v. Oklahoma

With a lot of spread quartebacks, the scheme makes them appear better than they are. No so with Bradford. He is a tremendous passer, who can read a defense and make every throw. He has great touch on his passes and seems to always hit the receiver in stride. He also consistently drops the ball perfectly over the defender on deep passes.I have only really been able to watch Stafford play one game, and was very impressed with what I saw. but it is a small sample size. I have seen Bradford in several games, he is the real deal, no question.

I wrote some specific observations in my scouting thread of the Cincy-Oklahoma game:

Rest assured Stafford is the top QB in this class by a comfortably margin. His arm is just in elite class.

+1Also, does anyone think more NFL teams are/will be using more spread offenses?

He does get pressured. But he avoids it well. He rolls out to get away from pressure well. And when the pocket collapses he is quick enough to pick up some yards. Last night he picked up two first downs on scrambles when the pocket fell apart. He has good feet. He even runs the option 2-3 times a game.

Just cause Millen is gone means you won't take Crabtree :lmao: That said, I think with the QB issues, Detroit would be hard pressed to pass up a possible franchise savior in Bradford.Look what Ryan has done for Atlanta.
Ryan didn't play in a spread and didn't play behind a line that never let him get touched. He was much more used to making quick decisions under pressure and as a result was much more NFL-ready than Bradford will be. Unfortunately the success of the spread is going to make it very hard for the NFL to evaluate QBs and know who is actually going to be able to get it done in the big league. Not that they were that great at consistently picking QBs before.

Rest assured Stafford is the top QB in this class by a comfortably margin. His arm is just in elite class.
Kyle Boller's arm was elite too :lmao:

Having a strong arm isn't the most important talent for a QB to have. Just look at Jamarcus Russell. I haven't really watched Stafford a whole lot, but saying that Stafford is the best QB in the class by a comfortable margin just because he has a strong arm isn't very encouraging.

awesomeness said:
jurb26 said:
Balco said:
ReallyABasketballCoach said:

Having a strong arm isn't the most important talent for a QB to have. Just look at Jamarcus Russell. I haven't really watched Stafford a whole lot, but saying that Stafford is the best QB in the class by a comfortable margin just because he has a strong arm isn't very encouraging.
Funny how all the people in here who seem to think that Stafford isn't as good always seem to preface things by saying they haven't watched him a whole lot. Maybe you guys should watch him. He is far more than an arm. But he is the ONLY elite arm in this class.

QB is the one position where I think you can justify turning down the money since experience is so important. At the same time, he could be QB1 in this draft right now if he comes out. That kind of money is hard to ignore.
Didn't Leinart come back and drop from a top 3 pick to out of the top 10? bet he'd be much happier sitting on a fatter wallet behind Warner

awesomeness said:
jurb26 said:
Balco said:

Funny how all the people in here who seem to think that Stafford isn't as good always seem to preface things by saying they haven't watched him a whole lot. Maybe you guys should watch him. He is far more than an arm. But he is the ONLY elite arm in this class.
I've watched him a lot and I think whoever drafts him will be pretty disappointed. He's the next coming of Joey Harrington.

awesomeness said:
jurb26 said:
Balco said:

I've watched him a lot and I think whoever drafts him will be pretty disappointed. He's the next coming of Joey Harrington.
:thumbup:

He's only a sophomore, so he actually has two years of eligibility remaining. I think he'll be a top 10 pick whenever he declares. It's just hard to say whether that will happen in 2009 or 2010.

He's a third year sophomore who is eligible for the 2009 draft but I consider him a junior (and he's referred to as a Junior in some circles) because of his academic standing. The extra year almost assures he will return for one more year and then come out as a possible #1 overall in 2010.
NORMAN, Okla. — At least one NFL draft projection has the top overall pick next year being Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford. There’s only one problem with that.

“I don’t think that makes a lot of sense,” Bradford said, “considering I’m going to be in school next year.”

Bradford, who stacks up as Oklahoma’s top NFL quarterback prospect, will be eligible for the draft for the first time at the end of this season. He’s only a sophomore in eligibility, but he redshirted his first season on campus, giving him the required three years since

high school.
Yeah, I wouldn't want to risk playing for the Rams either.

If Bradford comes out, he's a Lion.

They'll use their second pick to address OL/DL.

They'll follow the Falcons model.

IMO.

McCoy will win the Heisman. Mark it down. Voters will be sympathetic to McCoy for not getting a shot at the National title. On top of that McCoy and TX beat OK and Bradford head to head. McCoy currently a slight betting favorite even though Bradford and Tebow have another game before the Heisman winner is announced (and McCoy is done). Colt McCoy: 2008 Heisman Trophy winner.

He reminds me a little of Jay Cutler.

If he comes out, I think the Lions would do well to take him. He's deserving of being the #1 pick, IMO.

The Lions get 3 of the first 33 picks in this years draft. They would be foolish not to use the first to draft a franchise QB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't Leinart come back and drop from a top 3 pick to out of the top 10? bet he'd be much happier sitting on a fatter wallet behind Warner
Poor example, even ignoring that dropping to 1.11 is not exactly a free fall. Leinart sustained an injury his senior season. He also does not appear to have the work ethic necessary to QB successfully at the NFL level. I agree that college experience is one of the biggest precursors to NFL success that there is, and it's not talked about enough. QB's just don't have other opportunities to use to get reps reading defenses and making throws at "game speed" if they don't get it by playing in college games.

I like Tebow actually better as an NFL QB.
I'm a big Tebow-loving Gator fan and I have trouble agreeing with that at this point. Tebow is a very accurate passer, but he holds the ball a long time while he scans the field. Also he's NEVER played in an offense where he regularly took snaps from under center. I think he's going to make it in the NFL, but right now he's a project.

I like Tebow actually better as an NFL QB.
I'm a big Tebow-loving Gator fan and I have trouble agreeing with that at this point. Tebow is a very accurate passer, but he holds the ball a long time while he scans the field. Also he's NEVER played in an offense where he regularly took snaps from under center. I think he's going to make it in the NFL, but right now he's a project.
guess we'll see...

Two things:

If the Lions draft Bradford or any other Qb with a #1 pick, they'll be making a big mistake. That team has a Wr and RB and the rest is shambles. Drafting a Qb that high to put on the field with that team will just be Harrington Round 2 and set the franchise back another 5 years. And make no mistake, the resurgence of the Falcons is mostly due to Turner. While Ryan has played well, that team has been carried by the running game. Also, the Falcons were a decent to good team prior to his arrival. Granted, in 07 they were in shambles, but from 04-06, there were in the running for the division. The way to turn this around is to start on both sides of the lines and work your way out.

As far as Bradford goes, remember, he's surrounded by superior talent, compared to his opponents, virtually every single week so he probably looks better than he really is, at this stage in his career. That's not to say that he won't make a good, or even great NFL QB, but the odds are against him, moreso if he ends up winning the Heisman. Take a look at the list of Heisman-winning QB's that have had success in the NFL. 13 QB's have won the Heisman since 1980; exactly one, Carson Palmer, has had what anyone could argue as a successful NFL career. If you're a Bradford fan, you need to hope he doesn't win it.

Two things:

If the Lions draft Bradford or any other Qb with a #1 pick, they'll be making a big mistake. That team has a Wr and RB and the rest is shambles. Drafting a Qb that high to put on the field with that team will just be Harrington Round 2 and set the franchise back another 5 years. And make no mistake, the resurgence of the Falcons is mostly due to Turner. While Ryan has played well, that team has been carried by the running game. Also, the Falcons were a decent to good team prior to his arrival. Granted, in 07 they were in shambles, but from 04-06, there were in the running for the division. The way to turn this around is to start on both sides of the lines and work your way out.
But you don't necessarily have to do that with the first pick. With a team as bad as the Lions, you take the BPA with the #1 overall. It's arguable, but if Bradford is that player, you take him. Plus, they have another 1st and the first pick in the second too. There's lots of talent at the tackle/guard spots that look good with that 2nd first rounder, and a linebacker or d-tackle would look good with that 2nd rounder. You don't necessarily address your biggest need with each pick. Value comes into play when you talk about real NFL drafting too.
As far as Bradford goes, remember, he's surrounded by superior talent, compared to his opponents, virtually every single week so he probably looks better than he really is, at this stage in his career. That's not to say that he won't make a good, or even great NFL QB, but the odds are against him, moreso if he ends up winning the Heisman. Take a look at the list of Heisman-winning QB's that have had success in the NFL. 13 QB's have won the Heisman since 1980; exactly one, Carson Palmer, has had what anyone could argue as a successful NFL career. If you're a Bradford fan, you need to hope he doesn't win it.
What elite talent is that. Iglesias is okay, but not necessarily elite. I'd say he makes the guys around him better, not the other way around.Plus, just because other Heisman's have failed doesn't necessarily follow that Bradford will.

Two things:

But you don't necessarily have to do that with the first pick. With a team as bad as the Lions, you take the BPA with the #1 overall. It's arguable, but if Bradford is that player, you take him. Plus, they have another 1st and the first pick in the second too. There's lots of talent at the tackle/guard spots that look good with that 2nd first rounder, and a linebacker or d-tackle would look good with that 2nd rounder. You don't necessarily address your biggest need with each pick. Value comes into play when you talk about real NFL drafting too.
What elite talent is that. Iglesias is okay, but not necessarily elite. I'd say he makes the guys around him better, not the other way around.Plus, just because other Heisman's have failed doesn't necessarily follow that Bradford will.
Most of those Heisman winning QB's weren't expected to be good in the NFL. Ware would be the glaring bust. Maybe he'd disagree, but I think Vinny T and Doug Flutie had successful careers.

:crazy:

So 3C's, if the BPA in the 09 draft were a WR, you'd take him? That's what's prolonged this mess that the Lions are in.

If you're already a good team, you take BPA. If you're the Lions, you need help at virtually every position and you need it last year. If there isn't a OL/DL worthy of a #1, you trade that pick to someone that will risk it on a QB and pocket another pick or two.

Users who are viewing this thread