What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

San Francisco 49ers @ Carolina Panthers Playoff Thread (1 Viewer)

I hope the Panthers and Hawks fans shut up now after that roughing call on Skuta. That was a game changer if Cam doesn't follow up with an int.
This is some odd logic. The refs aren't out to get anyone, they just haven't done their job well. And that pretty much goes for the entire season. You want a game changer, go look at Iupati on Gore's long run. That holding call could have been made by at least three members of the crew.

I hope the Panthers and Hawks fans shut up now after that roughing call on Skuta. That was a game changer if Cam doesn't follow up with an int.
This is some odd logic. The refs aren't out to get anyone, they just haven't done their job well. And that pretty much goes for the entire season. You want a game changer, go look at Iupati on Gore's long run. That holding call could have been made by at least three members of the crew.

So who are the receivers that Carolina has to target to get to next level - a hobbled Steve Smith and one TE and not much else needs to be improved on.
Sidney Rice should be available
Going to be interesting to see what market is for Decker - I could see the Panthers and Lions making a run at him - as well as the Broncos trying to find the room for him
Several top teams looking for receiving weapons too (NE, Carolina, New Orleans, Seattle)

I agree. The refs aren't out to get anyone and this game was not "rigged" for SF.

This is some odd logic. The refs aren't out to get anyone, they just haven't done their job well. And that pretty much goes for the entire season.You want a game changer, go look at Iupati on Gore's long run. That holding call could have been made by at least three members of the crew.
Yup...but it's what we deserve after not supporting the NFL and the replacement refs last year.

So who are the receivers that Carolina has to target to get to next level - a hobbled Steve Smith and one TE and not much else needs to be improved on.
Sidney Rice should be available
Going to be interesting to see what market is for Decker - I could see the Panthers and Lions making a run at him - as well as the Broncos trying to find the room for him
Several top teams looking for receiving weapons too (NE, Carolina, New Orleans, Seattle)
Now imagine Decker was black

Congrats to the fbg niner fans. The more talented and better coached team won. Good luck next week in Seattle.

I agree. The refs aren't out to get anyone and this game was not "rigged" for SF.
Then why further confuse the issue by attempting to balance the scales for some mythical conspiracy with what might have been?

THey really gotta do something about that "hit to the head" rule on QBs this offseason...

GG panthers fans, you guys looked really good coming out of the gates and I started having flashbacks of the week 10 game, but Kaepernick just seems like a different QB in the postseason for some reason.

Really gotta credit the linemen in SF with this win, the D line stepped up when it mattered in the 1st half and the O line turned it on in the 2nd. Seemed like once they got Frank Gore going in the 2nd half the Carolina D backed off.

The Panthers thought they could punch the 49ers in the mouth and came out very aggressively at the start of the game; problem with that approach was:

#1 they committed penalties that led to scores and #2 this 49er team is battle-tested going back to 2011 with Alex Smith. You are not going to intimidate a team that has faced seven great playoff teams in three years and won five (SB champion NYG-loss by 3, SB game Baltimore-loss, NFC favorite New Orleans-win, Green Bay-win, Atlanta-road win, Green Bay in sub-zero wind chill-road win).

Carolina has a great defense and a top QB but they are not at the level of the current 49er team in terms of talent and playoff experience. This was Cam Newton's FIRST playoff game - hopefully of many to come.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Panthers thought they could punch the 49ers in the mouth and came out very aggressively at the start of the game; problem with that approach was:

#1 they committed penalties that led to scores and #2 this 49er team is battle-tested going back to 2011 with Alex Smith. You are not going to intimidate a team that has faced seven great playoff teams in three years and won five (SB champion NYG-loss by 3, SB game Baltimore-loss, NFC favorite New Orleans-win, Green Bay-win, Atlanta-road win, Green Bay in sub-zero wind chill-road win).

Carolina has a great defense and a top QB but they are not at the level of the current 49er team in terms of talent and playoff experience. This was Cam Newton's FIRST playoff game - hopefully of many to come.
Agreed. Normally I think things like having playoff experience are overrated, but the panthers got emotionally carried away and I think that lack of experience was a big reason why. Cam's body language in the second half was awful too when things started going south - he's young and he'll figure it out.

Agreed. Normally I think things like having playoff experience are overrated, but the panthers got emotionally carried away and I think that lack of experience was a big reason why. Cam's body language in the second half was awful too when things started going south - he's young and he'll figure it out.
Maybe it was just me, but Cam looked tired. I'm not sure if it was his running, or what.

Overall, I think SF deserved to win, but I can't argue about the penalties. The PI on the Boldin play (where the defender never turned around) was the right call. But the 12 men in the huddle that didn't get called just before the Vernon Davis catch was huge. Who knows what would have happened if they'd been backed up 5 years and not scored the touchdown. Emotionally it could have been a different story; as it turned out that was a pivotal point in the game.

I'm glad for the win, but I have empathy for Carolina. The team's for real, and if the outcome had been reversed today, I'd be feeling pretty low.

edited for clarity

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats to the Niners. Their defense played very well and our offense couldn't convert the few chances they got. While their offense did convert. Some strange calls and non-calls but that's the game. The flags have gone the other way for us more than once this season. While of course you want to win it's hard as a fan to be too disappointed. I think very few people put these guys at 12-4 and winning the South. I think they have a lot of the pieces in place and it won't be 5 more years before we get back again. I would be far more down if I didn't think we were headed in the right direction but we need a top flight receiver and corner real bad.

That's a major stretch. Either of these teams coming back on the other team's defense down 13 with a half quarter left is a longshot.

I knew people were going to mention that call too as soon as I saw the flag so they could pretend everything evened out. That was the equivalent of a basketball ref calling a couple garbage fouls at the end so the Free Throw discrepancy doesn't look too lopsided in the box score.

It's absurd to think that the refs should call an equal amount of penalties on both teams during a game just to "even things out". If you commit more penalties, then more flags are gonna come your way, simple as that.

It's absurd to think that the refs should call an equal amount of penalties on both teams during a game just to "even things out". If you commit more penalties, then more flags are gonna come your way, simple as that.
I agree, otherwise what's the point of having officials...

But yesterday both teams were headbutting and committing PI, not just one of them.

But yesterday both teams were headbutting and committing PI, not just one of them.
Boldin absolutely should have gotten flagged for his headbut. But Carolina, in particular their secondary, had 0 composure yesterday and played like idiots. For all the pregame grousing about SF making excuses for losing the regular season matchup, I'm a little surprised to see a couple of Panthers fans in here pretending a flag or two cost them the game.

In any event, It was a good game and Carolina has lots of reasons to be optimistic going forward.

Boldin absolutely should have gotten flagged for his headbut. But Carolina, in particular their secondary, had 0 composure yesterday and played like idiots. For all the pregame grousing about SF making excuses for losing the regular season matchup, I'm a little surprised to see a couple of Panthers fans in here pretending a flag or two cost them the game.

In any event, It was a good game and Carolina has lots of reasons to be optimistic going forward.
I think the only reason that the Panther's guy got flagged and Boldin did not is because Crabtree backed his head away making it look much worse then it was, whereas the Carolina player kept his head forward and pushed back against Boldin.

After that wrestling match the Panthers put on the Saints with the benefit of no calls of PI, they are the last ones who should be complaining about stuff not getting called by the refs. The refs have let the rules slide all year and defenses have adjusted to the lackadaisical carelessness of the officials and have used it to their advantage. I hope the Saints follow suit next season and learn how to be a bunch of thugs and whoop up on teams before the ball gets there. Obviously thats what the NFL wants now by the lack of flags.

Users who are viewing this thread