What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Save $ on cell service -- Ting Mobile / Solavei (+ other MVNOs) (2 Viewers)

Thanks for starting this Hulk, I hadn't heard of Ting, and this looks perfect for my wife. We currently pay Verizon $38/mo+taxes for the approx 80 voice minutes and 100 text messages she uses per month on a non-smartphone. I can get her that plus light data on an Android phone for less than $20 with Ting. Placing an order for a Ting phone today.

Thanks for starting this Hulk, I hadn't heard of Ting, and this looks perfect for my wife. We currently pay Verizon $38/mo+taxes for the approx 80 voice minutes and 100 text messages she uses per month on a non-smartphone. I can get her that plus light data on an Android phone for less than $20 with Ting. Placing an order for a Ting phone today.
use my referral link in the first post for $25 off. :)

Wow, why do you guys pay so much in the States, am I reading this right. Just got my GF the Nexus 4 and her plan is $30 for unlimited talk, text and data. I got my plan before I was aware of the Nexus 4 and my $40 plan is unlimited nationwide talk, text, data and voicemail.What's the deal with the crazy prices. I thought Canadians pay more for everything.
are those prices in loonies or dollars?

My wife is a light user for voice, data and text. How are these older phones for email and web? (Samsung Transform Ultra, LG Marquee for example)
Not sure on those, how much are you looking to spend?
Less than $200. Right now she uses a non-smartphone and pays $45 per month for voice and text. It would be nice to have one device for voice, text and email / web. Also be nice if that device used wifi while at home.
you okay with used or refurbished?
Yep.
Ting has used gs2 for 150 ish. Solid phone, only downer is no lte, but I don't think that matters for your wife's use case. Go under devices and there is a used tab, is there.

Never owned a smartphone...don't need too much other than some light web browsing and app use like My FitnessPal, et al. How is that Samsung Galaxy Victory for $269? LTE and runs Android 4.0. Do you know if I could buy an unlocked phone from another site (used, refurb)? Very interested in Ting and could be a pretty key cog to cutting the cable as well as that could allow us to start unraveling the local bundle deal we have and dislike.
certain older Sprint phones qualify for bring your own device. I'm still using my old evo 3d. I'm also sitting on two old galaxy s1s (epic4g) if anyone wants them. One has a broken screen, I'll give that one away to free to someone trying to byod who needs a port phone to keep their number the same. The other is in good condition and I'll let it go very cheap for anyone who wants it for Ting IMO.

After looking around about Metro PCS it looks like the coverage still isn't that great and cust service is supposedly horrendous. I'm gonna pass.I was gonna look into Straight Talk, but they no longer support AT&T SIMs (except for already existing customers).

Last edited by a moderator:
For those who want data and a lot of it I used a USB device from millinecom.com and was happy with it. They use both verizon (20 gb )and sprint (50gb) for 70 a month.Looks like now they only have the mifi version available using Verizon's network.

Never owned a smartphone...don't need too much other than some light web browsing and app use like My FitnessPal, et al. How is that Samsung Galaxy Victory for $269? LTE and runs Android 4.0. Do you know if I could buy an unlocked phone from another site (used, refurb)? Very interested in Ting and could be a pretty key cog to cutting the cable as well as that could allow us to start unraveling the local bundle deal we have and dislike.
I'd never noticed this phone before. Basically it looks like a galaxy s2 update with the addition of LTE. I have no direct experience with it, but that seems like a pretty solid combination for < $300.If you can go a little higher in price, the Galaxy Nexus for $404 (or $379 if you use a referral code) seems like a very good deal too.

I wonder how many hours some of you guys spend chasing bargains, and dealing with the the fallout when things don't work like you'd want them to. Not that I don't appreciate the info here, but at some point this all becomes a time sink... And interferes with time I could instead spend on Tim Drafts.

Wow, why do you guys pay so much in the States, am I reading this right. Just got my GF the Nexus 4 and her plan is $30 for unlimited talk, text and data. I got my plan before I was aware of the Nexus 4 and my $40 plan is unlimited nationwide talk, text, data and voicemail.What's the deal with the crazy prices. I thought Canadians pay more for everything.
are those prices in loonies or dollars?
I'd call you and explain it, but I don't want you to go broke. I seriously thought we were paying at least twice what you guys are, and am blown away by the prices being charged in the states.Also, the Nexus 4 was created to avoid contracts. The ideal phone for this thread.

Verizon user and my phone works every where. Don't think I'll ever switch.
I use net 10 and it goes off Verizon's network which also works everywhere. Only reason I'd have stayed with Verizon is if they let me upgrade from an 3G phone to a LTE phone and keep the unlimited data. After June of last year they stopped that so only those who had a lte phone prior to that date can keep their unlimited data plans. Plus they have to pay full price for a new phone also. I don't even think AT&T treats their long term customers still locked in unlimited plans that ####ty.

Do you guys buy the phone separately from the plan? That's why we pay so much... the iPhone 5 may "only" cost us $200 up front but we pay the other $400 or so (plus a lot more) over the course of two years.Hooray for lobbyists!

Ting DOES NOT throttle youExact same as being on Sprint, with the exception of no coverage in Puerto Rico.
They don't have to throttle you with $60 bucks for 3,000 mb.
yup. Also explains why they offer tethering for free. As I said earlier, Ting is not for heavy data users, they're better off finding an unlimited plan somewhere else. Ting is all about paying only for what you use. Places that offer unlimited plans typically have low data users that will make up for the heavy data users, so it all comes our in the wash. That doesn't suit most of us though, cause with wifi there really isn't a need to use over a gig of data IMO, at least not for me.

'Mister CIA said:
I wonder how many hours some of you guys spend chasing bargains, and dealing with the the fallout when things don't work like you'd want them to. Not that I don't appreciate the info here, but at some point this all becomes a time sink... And interferes with time I could instead spend on Tim Drafts.
I'm thinking of creating a website to make this easier, cause it isn't easy right now at all. Just need to figure out how to monetize it IMO. Value can definitely be created for people here, but can it be captured?

'Mister CIA said:
I'm thinking of creating a website to make this easier, cause it isn't easy right now at all. Just need to figure out how to monetize it IMO. Value can definitely be created for people here, but can it be captured?
Sure. Affiliate links on unlocked phones and plans to the MVNO's. i imagine most of them have some way to be captured via affiliate link.

'Mister CIA said:
Sure. Affiliate links on unlocked phones and plans to the MVNO's. i imagine most of them have some way to be captured via affiliate link.
I'm going to look into this more deeply, but this seems like a legitmate business idea imo.

Looking at my usage history on Sprint shows I average about 400 minutes talk time, 350 texts and an average of about 300 MB of data a month on network. I think Ting may be for me.

'Mister CIA said:
I'm going to look into this more deeply, but this seems like a legitmate business idea imo.
I see it like this...A welcome page asking for zipcode. Check boxes for things like:Lots of text messages / few text messagesLots of calls / fewer callsLots of internet usage / little usageI watch a lot of videos on my phone / I don't watch videos on my phoneI have a phone I'd like to use / I will be buying a new phoneIf yes, what carrier is it on?They answer and click submit and it shows a chart (with some flash or HTML5) where it has the recommended carrier and boxes below with green check marks and details and a price. Then a "Get this service now" link....:mansion:

Looking at my usage history on Sprint shows I average about 400 minutes talk time, 350 texts and an average of about 300 MB of data a month on network. I think Ting may be for me.
My stupid ATT bill.....:wall:Four months ago we were cruising past 700 minutes (shared) a month easily. So 300 extra minutes was $30/month extra. And I was using more than 4GB of data and each extra GB is $10. So our bill was around $220 or $230. :wall:Switched us to the 1400 minute plan and got 5GB of data for myself. The data is useful for me but of course we are only using 400 minutes now for some reason. So I have about 2000 rollover minutes that will be lost if I reduce the plan.

My stupid ATT bill.....:wall:Four months ago we were cruising past 700 minutes (shared) a month easily. So 300 extra minutes was $30/month extra. And I was using more than 4GB of data and each extra GB is $10. So our bill was around $220 or $230. :wall:Switched us to the 1400 minute plan and got 5GB of data for myself. The data is useful for me but of course we are only using 400 minutes now for some reason. So I have about 2000 rollover minutes that will be lost if I reduce the plan.
I'm on an unlimited everything plan on Sprint for $59 + $10 for mandatory 4G. Based on my usage above, Ting estimates my bill would be roughly $33/mo. before taxes, so I'm looking at a $36/mo. savings. Plus, my wife uses an Evo 4G, which I could bring over with their BOD plan, so I'd only have to buy one phone. I think this is the answer I've been looking for.Now, I just need to decide whether to buy the Note 2 or the S3. I wish they had the Nexus 4, but they don't, only the Galaxy Nexus.

Now, I just need to decide whether to buy the Note 2 or the S3. I wish they had the Nexus 4, but they don't, only the Galaxy Nexus.
From everything I read, the Note 2 is basically just a slightly bigger version of the S3. The S3 already has a beautiful 4.8 inch screen, and after spending some time with it in the past few days, a bigger screen would just be obscene. The S3's screen size is absolutely perfect for a cell phone, IMO. Also, the phone itself is very thin, yet still sturdy. It fits in a front pocket with room to spare.BTW, I've never loved a phone as much as I love the S3. Extremely zippy, beautiful screen, decent on battery (so far), good reception and call quality (again, so far)...just absolutely love it.

Now, I just need to decide whether to buy the Note 2 or the S3. I wish they had the Nexus 4, but they don't, only the Galaxy Nexus.
From everything I read, the Note 2 is basically just a slightly bigger version of the S3. The S3 already has a beautiful 4.8 inch screen, and after spending some time with it in the past few days, a bigger screen would just be obscene. The S3's screen size is absolutely perfect for a cell phone, IMO. Also, the phone itself is very thin, yet still sturdy. It fits in a front pocket with room to spare.BTW, I've never loved a phone as much as I love the S3. Extremely zippy, beautiful screen, decent on battery (so far), good reception and call quality (again, so far)...just absolutely love it.
I'm leaning toward the S3, I don't watch a whole lot of video on my phone, I mainly use it to text and for basic apps (FB, Foursquare, ESPN Score Center, etc.) I don't know that the additional real estate screen-wise is of much benefit to me, so I'm thinking the smaller, lighter phone may be the way to go. Just wanted to be sure I'm not missing out on any really cool functionality the Note may have that the S3 lacks.

I'm leaning toward the S3, I don't watch a whole lot of video on my phone, I mainly use it to text and for basic apps (FB, Foursquare, ESPN Score Center, etc.) I don't know that the additional real estate screen-wise is of much benefit to me, so I'm thinking the smaller, lighter phone may be the way to go. Just wanted to be sure I'm not missing out on any really cool functionality the Note may have that the S3 lacks.
Yeah, I don't think there's really anything that makes the Note 2 an "OMG I NEED THAT PHONE11!!1!!!one" over the S3 unless you just really like size. I could be wrong, though.

Thats $33 a month. What are you paying Sprint right now and when is your contract up?

'Mister CIA said:
I see it like this...A welcome page asking for zipcode. Check boxes for things like:Lots of text messages / few text messagesLots of calls / fewer callsLots of internet usage / little usageI watch a lot of videos on my phone / I don't watch videos on my phoneI have a phone I'd like to use / I will be buying a new phoneIf yes, what carrier is it on?They answer and click submit and it shows a chart (with some flash or HTML5) where it has the recommended carrier and boxes below with green check marks and details and a price. Then a "Get this service now" link....:mansion:
I'm already working on convincing my wife to let me do this ;) Not quite the same setup though, but the general idea.

I'm on an unlimited everything plan on Sprint for $59 + $10 for mandatory 4G. Based on my usage above, Ting estimates my bill would be roughly $33/mo. before taxes, so I'm looking at a $36/mo. savings. Plus, my wife uses an Evo 4G, which I could bring over with their BOD plan, so I'd only have to buy one phone. I think this is the answer I've been looking for.Now, I just need to decide whether to buy the Note 2 or the S3. I wish they had the Nexus 4, but they don't, only the Galaxy Nexus.
You're setup is very similar to mine, which is why I switched. I kept my old phone and put my wife in a Note2 though. I'm waiting to see the phones being announced in the next month or so (HTC One, Galaxy S4, Moto X Phone). Probably go with one of those.The Galaxy Nexus is tempting, but I heard the camera sucks and I take a ton of phone pics of the my kids.

I was tempted by the Note2. Main differences are bigger screen, slightly faster processor, S-pen, and supersized battery.I have giant Otis hands though.

You're setup is very similar to mine, which is why I switched. I kept my old phone and put my wife in a Note2 though. I'm waiting to see the phones being announced in the next month or so (HTC One, Galaxy S4, Moto X Phone). Probably go with one of those.The Galaxy Nexus is tempting, but I heard the camera sucks and I take a ton of phone pics of the my kids.
I think I'm going to switch today or tomorrow, just can't see a compelling reason not to. I, of course, will use your referral link to make sure you get the $25 credit for turning me on to this.At this point, it's more a matter of deciding between the Note 2 (bigger screen, better battery life supposedly) or the S3 (more portable, $100 cheaper)

I think I'm going to switch today or tomorrow, just can't see a compelling reason not to. I, of course, will use your referral link to make sure you get the $25 credit for turning me on to this.At this point, it's more a matter of deciding between the Note 2 (bigger screen, better battery life supposedly) or the S3 (more portable, $100 cheaper)
PM me your referral link once you're signed up and I'll stick it in the first post with mine. That goes for anyone who signs up with Ting.Question, do you think you'll ever watch adult films on your phone? Might want the Note2 then!

PM me your referral link once you're signed up and I'll stick it in the first post with mine. That goes for anyone who signs up with Ting.Question, do you think you'll ever watch adult films on your phone? Might want the Note2 then!
HAHA - no, no pron, just the occasional youtube clip.

Quick (and possibly dumb) question. They say you choose your plan and then if at the end of the month, you don't use the full minutes/texts/data you paid for, they refund the difference. If, however, you go over, they bump you up to the next bucket. If this happens, and they bump you up to the next bucket, do they then refund back whatever wasn't used in that bucket?Example : I choose a plan with 500 minutes and then use 550 in a month. They bump me up to the 1000 minute bucket. Do I pay the amount associated with 1000 minutes or do they put me into the 1000 minute bucket and then refund back 450 minutes? If not, seems it would be much wiser to overshoot your estimated usage, but that doesn't seem to make much sense.

I think I get it, it's not 100% pay for what you use, you still pay the bucket price. So, if the buckets are 100 texts and then 500 is the next one up, I pay the 500 text price whether I use 101 or 499, correct? So, the object is to come in just under the bucket amount. But, if I pay for 1000 texts and then only use 420, it will automatically knock me down to the 500 text bucket price.

Quick (and possibly dumb) question. They say you choose your plan and then if at the end of the month, you don't use the full minutes/texts/data you paid for, they refund the difference. If, however, you go over, they bump you up to the next bucket. If this happens, and they bump you up to the next bucket, do they then refund back whatever wasn't used in that bucket?Example : I choose a plan with 500 minutes and then use 550 in a month. They bump me up to the 1000 minute bucket. Do I pay the amount associated with 1000 minutes or do they put me into the 1000 minute bucket and then refund back 450 minutes? If not, seems it would be much wiser to overshoot your estimated usage, but that doesn't seem to make much sense.
Its even more complicated than that, but they don't mention it to help keep it simple.Lets say you're on this plan: 500 minutes ($9), 1000 texts ($5), and 500 MBs ($13).Then, during the month, you use 600 minutes, 98 texts, and 515 MBs. Here is what happens.With minutes you are bumped up into the 1000 minute plan and charged $18 for this month.With texts you are bumped down into the 100 text plan and charged $3 for this month.With data you are over you 500 MBs, but you are not bumped up. They have a 5% grace zone for each bucket. So, since you used less than 500MB + 5%(25MB) you are still charged in the 500MB bucket and pay $13 for this month.So, you get charged for what you use. If you go ever so slightly past your plan, they don't penalize you until you're more than 5% deep into the next tier.I think thats a perfectibly reasonable way of doing things. Ting seems to have a lot of policies that make sense, part of why I'm a big fan now.

I think I get it, it's not 100% pay for what you use, you still pay the bucket price. So, if the buckets are 100 texts and then 500 is the next one up, I pay the 500 text price whether I use 101 or 499, correct? So, the object is to come in just under the bucket amount. But, if I pay for 1000 texts and then only use 420, it will automatically knock me down to the 500 text bucket price.
Yes, you pay to be in a bucket. So, its not exact, but I think its still a reasonable way of doing things, especially with the 5% forgiveness if you just edge over into the next bucket.

Yes, you pay to be in a bucket. So, its not exact, but I think its still a reasonable way of doing things, especially with the 5% forgiveness if you just edge over into the next bucket.
OK, that 5% grace is very cool. I like everything this company is about. I'm in.All I need to do is decide on S3 vs. Note 2. Placing an order today.

Users who are viewing this thread