What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Screw You Kimmell (1 Viewer)

Everyone loves a good joke until they are the butt of it! What is the difference between his schtick and some of the commercials out there that everyone thinks is funny: ie - Peyton Manning - "Your on my fantasy team!!!" or the one with the guy parading around the office with his FF trophy. I think its all funny! Gotta have a sense of humor in life!

I could be mistaken, but I think Kimmell is in Bill Simmons' (the ESPN writer who used to write for Kimmell) "west coast fantasy league" that he brings up in his articles on occassion. The guy was joking around and is always the first to mock himself. That said, I loved the Man Show, but agree that his late night show is tough to watch. The guy belongs on cable where he can say whatever he wants.

Business, never personal.I rarely find him funny anymore (Roast, Man-Show), his girlfriend is much funnier.

I missed the Kimmel shtick, but really - if he said we are geeks, and the result is a 2+ page thread on a message board about how he is insulting us, then we are far more geekish than Kimmel could possibly have insinuated.
:goodposting: :lmao: at the guys who are actually insulted by this.
I imagine the people that felt insulted by Kimmel are the same dorks who refer to themselves as "Sharks" or "general managers" and fantasize that they have actual superior football knowledge as compared to the average armchair fan.Face it guys - fantasy football is supremely dorky and we are all pretty much losers for obsessing over it as we do. In short, we all really need to get real lives.

I missed the Kimmel shtick, but really - if he said we are geeks, and the result is a 2+ page thread on a message board about how he is insulting us, then we are far more geekish than Kimmel could possibly have insinuated.
I imagine the people that felt insulted by Kimmel are the same dorks who refer to themselves as "Sharks" or "general managers" and fantasize that they have actual superior football knowledge as compared to the average armchair fan.Face it guys - fantasy football is supremely dorky and we are all pretty much losers for obsessing over it as we do. In short, we all really need to get real lives.
I propose that most of us are dorks, but not losers and have real lives... but maybe it is just me.

I propose that most of us are dorks, but not losers and have real lives... but maybe it is just me.
Speak for yourself! I'm sitting here in my underwear with a bag of cheetos typing on a message board! :nerd:

Pro Football watching mistake #1, leaving the sound on. Sure you may miss the very infrequent nugget of useful information (most of which you'll hear again seventeen times later somewhere else anyway), but you gain so much more.

he is a comedian after all !! comedians often make fun of people including race, sexual orientatoin, handicap, gender , fantasy footballers etc etc, BIG DEAL :boxing:

he is a comedian after all !! comedians often make fun of people including race, sexual orientatoin, handicap, gender , fantasy footballers etc etc,

BIG DEAL

:boxing:
Now that I look back at it it may have been funny material. They just needed to find a talented comedian to deliver the lines. I didn't find it funny but it did not upset me. I found it strange that they would insult their fans. That would be like Luby's making fun of old people.

I don't care what Kimmel's apologists are going to say. You DON'T bite the hand that feeds you. Fantasy football is good for the NFL and they know it. The league should be pissed.

And if they knew about it, then they're a bunch of idiots. :rant:
What are they going to do, stop watching games? Stop playing FF?Seriously, what's the down side of this for the NFL?

lighten up francis.

it was schtick.
It is interesting though that the NFL's half time entertainment would be a joke on a very large group of its fan base. :thumbup:
Don't know about that, I would bet there are WAY more people who watch that aren't in fantasy football. At least I know tons more people who won't play fantasy sports but watch football religiously.
They also watch the game differently than those who play FF. I truly believe that a lot of the "real" enjoyment of watching games is lost because of FF. Rather than watching for the sheer enjoyment and appreciation of the game, FF players just care about certain individuals in the game, rather than the teams involved (big picture).

:lmao: I'm glad I'm not the only who thinks referring to yourself as "Shark" is incredibly dorky.

Bill Simmons reply to Kimmell:Don't listen to naysayers like Jimmy Kimmel, who used his new halftime pulpit on ABC to belittle fantasy owners and inadvertently started a Biggie/Tupac-level feud with me that can only end with both of us being riddled with bullets(And by the way, it's interesting that Kimmel would rank on anyone else's hobbies when the undisputed highlight of his summer was buying a pizza oven.)

I lost some respect for Jimmy. The material was very bad. He could have really used a few threads I have seen on this board entitled...you know you are a fantasy football geek when.........What was bad about Jimmy's 60 seconds was that he was so off base on ripping ff geeks. 9 hours to draft a team?........17 games?.......everyone knows...even my girlfriend that the fantasy playoffs should be over by week 16 due the NFL playoff teams that have clinched resting players in week 17. I didn't find his act offensive...just a complete pile of crap smack dab in the middle of my NFL Kickoff programming.P.S.: It wasn't Adam...it was the Juggies that carried the ManShow.

Well I guesss the Star Trek, Dungeons and Dragons jokes wore out.Fantasy Sports are a huge gripe by women all over the globe... okay maybe not the globe. Checking stats, projecting scores and all that stuff are truly widow makers.

:lmao: I'm glad I'm not the only who thinks referring to yourself as "Shark" is incredibly dorky.
A REAL shark (like me, that is) never has to tell anyone they are a shark. :nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd:

I thought the material was actually really funny and was glad my wife wasn't in the room to tape the bit and play it over and over again every Sunday. The idiot comment at the end though was the buzzkill for the whole rant. He just went from amusing to offensive which is why this thread is so huge. I think he narrowly missed the target making us laugh at ourselves like the Peyton & ESPN commercials just because of his final statement. I'm sure he's got several leagues he's in anyway, almost every athlete or actor/personality involved in sports in any way is involved in this stuff. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Gee, i just can't understand how Kimmel might be making fun of a group of people who either consider themselves 'sharks' or 'guppies'. Personally, I find high comedy at reading the threads on here.Sorry.. didn't read all the messages that mentioned sharks.

i thought it was funny, i laughed
I agree. It was funny. Even my wife laughed and she is not into FF, just understands it all too well because of me :P .
I didn't find it funny, I found it insulting. For those who want to let ABC know your opinions, the link is http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tvlisting...ge=askabcsports.
Funny....Stickboy doesn't have a sense of humor! Perhaps removing the stick would help? ;) thanks for the link...I sent them a note of confidence and told them to ignore the pansies that can't take a joke. What is the world coming to when Fantasy Football Fanatics are now a special interest group that can't be insulted? get a life people.

As someone who grew up watching soccer (i'm probably the only soccer fan on these boards) I can offer you this advice:

Deal with it!! Enjoy your hobby, and stop caring about what other people think or what they say about it.
No, you're not :hey:

Further evidence that we're idiots. See exhibit A: Page one through (soon to be) fifteen of this messegeboard after week 1 of the season. Funny to watch, even though it's frustrating to sift through.

Taken from sportsguy article:http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...=simmons/050909

• Here's my annual plea for the "MNF" crew to show fantasy stats once every 15 minutes. Don't listen to naysayers like Jimmy Kimmel, who used his new halftime pulpit on ABC to belittle fantasy owners and inadvertently started a Biggie/Tupac-level feud with me that can only end with both of us being riddled with bullets. Without any statistical evidence to back this up, I would guess that two-thirds of the "MNF" audience is made up of males between the ages of 18 and 45, and of those two-thirds, 65-70 percent participate in some sort of fantasy league. So would it kill you to show stats every so often? What's the problem here? Why did I have to turn on my laptop and hit ESPN.com in the fourth quarter to see how many yards Corey Dillon had? Isn't that a little ridiculous?

(And by the way, it's interesting that Kimmel would rank on anyone else's hobbies when the undisputed highlight of his summer was buying a pizza oven.)

Users who are viewing this thread