What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shakeup in denver rb depth chart : bump moreno (1 Viewer)

Now hillman is injured, but fox has never really played games with his ESPN charts to he best of my admittedly suspect recollection. But this made my ears perk up, especially in light of Lynch's back... :wall:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1322063-denver-broncos-knowshon-moreno-reclaims-backup-job-hillman-struggles

nver, with league-mandated cuts looming and a history of mediocrity marking his time in Denver.

However, the cuts came and went, and Moreno had survived. He had gotten desperate in practice, stating that he would even contribute on special teams to stay in Denver. His spirited play in the final game of the preseason, a game mostly consisting of third- and fourth-string players with little chance of making the squad, caught the eye of his coaches.

Before Monday’s first regular season practice, Moreno was buried down the depth chart, deep in head coach John Fox’s doghouse, after practice, Moreno had claimed the backup spot behind Willis McGahee.

Moreno leapfrogged both rookie Ronnie Hillman, who was thought to be Moreno’s permanent replacement, and Lance Ball, who showed great promise this offseason in his ability to catch the ball out of the backfield. Moreno, however, has excelled in pass-blocking during his career, something the team surely covets as it aims to keep Peyton Manning upright all season.

Manning has taken two big hits during the preseason from blitzing linebackers that the O-Line missed, and having Moreno in there on passing downs could shore up some of those whiffs during the regular season.

One of the primary reasons Moreno was brought in during the McDaniels era was to provide the Broncos with a receiving running back option out of the backfield who could create in open space. Moreno now leads the trifecta of “open-space” backs including Hillman and Ball that will complement the ground-and-pound McGahee.

Norm Hall/Getty Images

As far as the implications for the highly touted Ronnie Hillman, this may be signaling that Hillman is not ready to take on the responsibilities of backing up McGahee. Hillman was listed below Ball earlier in preseason and spent much of the preseason fighting off a hamstring injury.

Once Hillman was on the field in the third preseason game against the San Francisco 49ers, he didn’t show the speed and breakaway potential that many hoped he would have. In 10 carries, he accumulated just 29 yards, averaging 2.9 yards per carry. In his one reception out of the backfield, he picked up a modest four yards. This game was most comparable to the competition in an actual NFL game.

In the second preseason game Hillman competed in against the Arizona Cardinals, he had a much better showing, with 14 carries for 68 yards, an average of 4.9 yards per carry. However, this was against players who are mostly backups or didn’t even make the squad.

Moreno did slightly better in both games versus the 49ers with 27 yards on seven carries (3.2 yards/carry average) and against the Cardinals with 49 yards on seven carries (seven yards/carry average). What Moreno does offer is his three years experience in the NFL and his blocking protection.

In order to hold onto his spot behind McGahee, Moreno must continue to show the intensity and desperation he had in his effort to keep his job last Thursday. He must continue to show off his skills blocking rushers for Peyton Manning, and he must make some spectacular plays out of the backfield with his receiving skills.

Moreno offers the Broncos great versatility on passing downs, as he can stay in there and block approaching rushers, and if none show he can sneak behind the D-line into the defensive backfield to create some space and manufacture big receptions. While it has been a long time waiting for Moreno to showcase all that he offers here in Denver, having a future Hall of Famer in Manning with a propensity to dump passes to backs in space should be a huge boost for his career.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.broncos101.com/2012/09/04/denver-broncos-knowshon-moreno-now-no-2-rb-on-depth-chart/

Remember when the initial depth chart was released after the beginning of training camp, and Knowshon Moreno was a distant fourth on the running back pecking order, behind Willis McGahee, Lance Ball, and Ronnie Hillman in that precise order?

Well, a month and a solid preseason finale showing vs. the Cardinals can change a lot of things. As of today, entering the season opener vs. Pittsburgh, Moreno has skyrocketed to No. 2 on the running back depth chart. In the process of this depth chart change, Ball was demoted to No. 3 running back, while Hillman has fallen to fourth.

I love this move and I will tell you why – Moreno is simply a bigger playmaker than Ball. He is more skilled and talented than Ball, despite the fact that Moreno isn't a No. 1 running back in this league. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Moreno may only 25 years of age, but he does not have the aggressiveness, decisiveness or leg drive to truly be a go-to back in this league. Having said that, he is still very talented and versatile, and can make plays when catching the ball out of the backfield, and will put his helmet down to protect his quarterback.

John Elway said it best himself, when commenting on why Moreno made the team: "He probably makes us a better football team."

Ball has the same versatile skills that Moreno has – good receiver out of the backfield, solid blocker in pass protection, limited playmaking abilities when it pertains to running the football. But simply put, Moreno is better and more explosive at those tasks than Ball.

Hillman is the No. 4 running back because he hasn't been able to stay healthy. He didn't play his first preseason game until the third game vs. San Francisco, and although he did lead both teams in rushing in the preseason finale with 14 carries for 68 yards vs. Arizona, the Broncos preferred Moreno as their No. 2 back over Hillman at this moment in time. Hillman's nagging hamstring issues throughout training camp, which deterred his progress as a rookie back, probably had more to do with it than anything.

Regardless of the reasons, Moreno will serve as Denver's No. 2 running back behind Willis McGahee, just as he did last season.

Good thread Hipple, good info. 2 things at work here.

1. Denver could be doing this to drive up what little market there is for this guy. I think Denver would like a team to send them something so they can trade Moreno.

2. Moreno has had a great camp from what I was reading so perhaps he might finally show some of that 1st round talent. I think McGahee is cemented at RB1 but he is 31 yrs old and he could be more likely to injure himself. Moreno is just a tweak from taking the starting job.

Good thread Hipple, good info. 2 things at work here. 1. Denver could be doing this to drive up what little market there is for this guy. I think Denver would like a team to send them something so they can trade Moreno. 2. Moreno has had a great camp from what I was reading so perhaps he might finally show some of that 1st round talent. I think McGahee is cemented at RB1 but he is 31 yrs old and he could be more likely to injure himself. Moreno is just a tweak from taking the starting job.
Even as a 3db/cop back he could have bye week/what the heck flex value, isEspecially since as the pieces point out: Denver wants to keep Peyton upright.

Fwiw debating dropping Taiwan Jones for him as I am a lynch without turbine guy who was off is add meds for 5 days & had a idiotic draft from hell in my least important league. Not asking for advice, just letting y'all gauge he market.

Not surprising. Moreno's simply the better player.

Great at nothing, but adequate at all. So he's likely not ever going to be that superstar bell cow he was drafted to be, but he offers superior pass catching and pass block ability than Ball.

I've always viewed Ball as more of a practice squad type that could give you a solid (maybe two) as a desperation call.

I think Moreno will wind up playing a far lesser version of what Addai did in Indy. [both have very similar skill sets] I expect McGahee to carry the rock until if/when he falters.

John Fox rule number one: Vets always win.

This is the same coach that buried Deangelo Williams behind Deshaun Foster for years.

John Fox rule number one: Vets always win.This is the same coach that buried Deangelo Williams behind Deshaun Foster for years.
He was behind Foster for two years, and that's how it should have been. The offensive line was horrible, and DeAngelo couldn't block or pass protect at that time, and he didn't have a full understanding of things. DeAngelo is the first to admit he wasn't ready to be a starter the first two years, and Foster taught him a lot.

did you guys not see Moreno vs Arizona? He ran with power, he ran with aggression, he ran with authority. It seemed to me that he needed to be on the roster bubble to finally get pissed enough to run like he's capable of. He may have some value in PPR.

Ball is just a guy - average at best. Does nothing well, does nothing poorly. Nothing to be excited about and if you had to start him in FF, you are really scraping the bottom of the barrel. Should not be rostered.

Hillman has had the injury bug, and likely hasn't mastered the intracies of pass-blocking/route running - all stuff that Moreno has excelled at. That doesn't mean he's worthless, he should definitely be rostered based on potential.

IMO, the RB usage is this:

McGahee - clear #1, especially whne Denver has a 2nd half lead. 15-20 carries, 1-2 receptions per game.

Moreno - will come in on obvious passing situations (not down and distance type of stuff, more like end of half and end of game when behind). Will have occasional series's as well to give McGahee a breather. 5-10 carries, 2-4 receptions per game.

Ball - all around back-up. 1-5 carries, 0-1 catches per game.

Hillman - change of pace back, until he can get his feet wet and show that he can protect Peyton and stay healthy. 1-5 carries, 0-1 catches per game.

'simey said:
'solorca said:
John Fox rule number one: Vets always win.This is the same coach that buried Deangelo Williams behind Deshaun Foster for years.
He was behind Foster for two years, and that's how it should have been. The offensive line was horrible, and DeAngelo couldn't block or pass protect at that time, and he didn't have a full understanding of things. DeAngelo is the first to admit he wasn't ready to be a starter the first two years, and Foster taught him a lot.
Kinda like john fox rb chronic les part deux.

I'm actually buying into Moreno now. If anyone is Joe Addai on this team it's Moreno. I have to look more into this but Moreno and Hillman were part of the reason McGahee scared me.

Glad a took a last round flyer on this guy. You never know what can happen. He's got talent. Maybe he pushes himself into an RBBC situation by playing hard.

'Hipple said:
Fwiw debating dropping Taiwan Jones for him
I'm about to make this same move. Have jones as my DMc insurance but just can't see him being in my starting lineup even if McFadden was out

Just dropped Harry Douglas for him. Moreno is my fantasy kryptonite. Seems to end up on my team every year, and I hate myself for it.

'solorca said:
Moreno is ahead of Hillman because he is playing better, period. John Fox doesn't care that Cecil has a boner for Hillman.

I don't know if I can let Moreno burn me two years in a row.

Besides, I'm the only one keeping Gaffney from falling to zero percent.

Cecil, your thoughts please.

I had a hunch this guy had some value left. If the Broncos intention is prop his value I still say the Lions would be a nice landing spot.

:popcorn:

Last year it was Delone Carter, this year it was Hillman. Every year, Cecil and crew pick a middle-round back that no one else is talking about and beat the table for the guy all offseason. Then the season shows up and they do absolutely nothing. If you want to get a future look at how Hillman will be talked about next offseason, just check out Carter's blurbs on the enewsletter. "Lacks the burst needed to be a running back at the NFL level"

Like they weren't proclaiming him the obvious starter and RBOF for the Colts just one year ago, saying he looked like the best RB in the class.

Hillman is this year's Delone Carter. This is probably the last you will hear about him until they tell you he doesn't have what it takes to play in the NFL this time next year. :rolleyes:

Good catch Hippie.

'solorca said:
Moreno is ahead of Hillman because he is playing better, period. John Fox doesn't care that Cecil has a boner for Hillman.
In fairness hillman is still gimpy/injured ergo life,realy hasn't gotten what fox would consider enough reps to even debate the issue.

Last year it was Delone Carter, this year it was Hillman. Every year, Cecil and crew pick a middle-round back that no one else is talking about and beat the table for the guy all offseason. Then the season shows up and they do absolutely nothing. If you want to get a future look at how Hillman will be talked about next offseason, just check out Carter's blurbs on the enewsletter. "Lacks the burst needed to be a running back at the NFL level"Like they weren't proclaiming him the obvious starter and RBOF for the Colts just one year ago, saying he looked like the best RB in the class.Hillman is this year's Delone Carter. This is probably the last you will hear about him until they tell you he doesn't have what it takes to play in the NFL this time next year. :rolleyes:Good catch Hippie.
Let's not get too carried away. Protecting the QB is a key part of a 3rd down back and even an every down back, but Hillman has some skill and I would not be surprised, in fact, I would predict he will be ahead of Moreno by mid season. Sure, it is possible that Moreno has figured it all out...younger guys do sometimes take a year or 2, but if I had to put money down from a FF dynasty perspective, it would be on Hillman, not Moreno.

Last year it was Delone Carter, this year it was Hillman. Every year, Cecil and crew pick a middle-round back that no one else is talking about and beat the table for the guy all offseason. Then the season shows up and they do absolutely nothing. If you want to get a future look at how Hillman will be talked about next offseason, just check out Carter's blurbs on the enewsletter. "Lacks the burst needed to be a running back at the NFL level"Like they weren't proclaiming him the obvious starter and RBOF for the Colts just one year ago, saying he looked like the best RB in the class.Hillman is this year's Delone Carter. This is probably the last you will hear about him until they tell you he doesn't have what it takes to play in the NFL this time next year. :rolleyes:Good catch Hippie.
In deference to the 3 amigos they also had an equally strong boner for demarco murray...

In deference to the 3 amigos they also had an equally step g no er for demarcation murray...
Can we have this in English?

Moreno is a turd. Always has been, still is. McGahee is a grizzled old war wagon but he showed last year he still has something in the tank. Hillman is still the RB of the future there. It is going to take a while though. I don't think people really understand what RBoF means. The week 1 depth chart of their rookie season has very little impact on that.

Agreed, but these can be tough to predict. After drafting Hillman and benching Moreno last season, it sure looked like Hillman would be the guy. Elway was pretty clear that Moreno was almost cut.

Last year it was Delone Carter, this year it was Hillman. Every year, Cecil and crew pick a middle-round back that no one else is talking about and beat the table for the guy all offseason. Then the season shows up and they do absolutely nothing. If you want to get a future look at how Hillman will be talked about next offseason, just check out Carter's blurbs on the enewsletter. "Lacks the burst needed to be a running back at the NFL level"

Like they weren't proclaiming him the obvious starter and RBOF for the Colts just one year ago, saying he looked like the best RB in the class.

Hillman is this year's Delone Carter. This is probably the last you will hear about him until they tell you he doesn't have what it takes to play in the NFL this time next year. :rolleyes:

Good catch Hippie.
Let's not get too carried away. Protecting the QB is a key part of a 3rd down back and even an every down back, but Hillman has some skill and I would not be surprised, in fact, I would predict he will be ahead of Moreno by mid season. Sure, it is possible that Moreno has figured it all out...younger guys do sometimes take a year or 2, but if I had to put money down from a FF dynasty perspective, it would be on Hillman, not Moreno.
Any reason or just a hunch. Especially w/ Fox's track record. You did see hillman is behind ball too right?

In deference to the 3 amigos they also had an equally step g no er for demarcation murray...
New tablet has an overactive autocorrect. We still in preseason right?

Like adding a u and e to every outher worde? Cheerio mate!

Moreno is a turd. Always has been, still is. McGahee is a grizzled old war wagon but he showed last year he still has something in the tank. Hillman is still the RB of the future there. It is going to take a while though. I don't think people really understand what RBoF means. The week 1 depth chart of their rookie season has very little impact on that.
Funny. Sounds like your take on cam newton last preseason.-.Also some of us play keeper/redraft.

Agreed, but these can be tough to predict. After drafting Hillman and benching Moreno last season, it sure looked like Hillman would be the guy. Elway was pretty clear that Moreno was almost cut.
Or trying a motivational ploy. Or got a text to 'have dinner' with Peyton 5 minutes after he said that.

:goodposting: Hillman is a rookie, he'll figure it out and once he's healthy many will see why Denver drafted him.

Funny. Sounds like your take on cam newton last preseason.-.Also some of us play keeper/redraft.
I said he had always been a turd? :confused: Strange.

In deference to the 3 amigos they also had an equally strong boner for demarco murray...
That they did, credit where it is due#bitterdelonecarterformerowner

Sooooo glad i've stayed out of this mess of a backfield.
Mess of a backfield? McGahee is the clear cut number one.
I understand each of those words, but you put them together and they dont make sense to me. 31 year old running backs with a lot of wear on the tires and a cavalcade of backups does not seem good to me. McGahee is fine but chances are he misses some time and god knows who's next in line.

What I know of Hillman is he projects as a 3rd down back but I know good experts that think a lot more of him as well. All rookies are sleepers to these experts so I try not to get too excited like I have in the past. There's no reason to write on Moreno in his 4th year when he's actually had some success in the past. Cecil called McGahee last year so I do wonder what he thinks from a a front row seat, just haven't had the time to listen to podcast.

What I know of Hillman is he projects as a 3rd down back but I know good experts that think a lot more of him as well. All rookies are sleepers to these experts so I try not to get too excited like I have in the past. There's no reason to write on Moreno in his 4th year when he's actually had some success in the past. Cecil called McGahee last year so I do wonder what he thinks from a a front row seat, just haven't had the time to listen to podcast.
After listening to all the podcasts, this is basically what Cecil has said:- Hillman has a lot of talent and reminds many of LeSean McCoy. But, like McCoy, he's going to need some time to come into his own.- That McGahee is still the RB1, but that Hillman was drafted to be the RB of the future.- Just how soon that future is will be dependant on Hillman's health and how fast he can pick up the pass blocking duties.- The other obvious roadblock to Hillman becoming the RB1 is Fox's allegiance to veterans.It seems to me that Clifford took all the Hillman praise and didn't pay any attention to the cautionary words.IMO, Hillman is a draft and hold in keeper/dynasty leagues. Until he's healthy enough to practice and prove that he can handle blitz pickups, he won't be moving up the depth chart, so you're unlikely to get any return on investment on him in the first half of the season.

'Hipple said:
John Elway said it best himself, when commenting on why Moreno made the team: "He probably makes us a better football team."
maybe I'm reading too much into this but that doesn't sound like a guy who's really sold on a player.He PROBABLY makes us a better football team?Sounds like...I guess I should PROBABLY take out the trash now since they're going to pick it up in the morning.orI PROBABLY should make that doctors appointment that I've been putting off for months.It would be different if Elway said:"He definitely makes us a better football team."or simply"He makes us a better football team."signed,Over Analyzing Hillman Dynasty Owner

So in redraft, is Hillman dead weight? Is everyone cutting him?

I only took him as a handcuff to Willis, so he strikes me as pretty useless right now. I dont think I would pick up Knowshon for him, but my WW's are pretty much bare.

After listening to all the podcasts, this is basically what Cecil has said:- Hillman has a lot of talent and reminds many of LeSean McCoy. But, like McCoy, he's going to need some time to come into his own.- That McGahee is still the RB1, but that Hillman was drafted to be the RB of the future.- Just how soon that future is will be dependant on Hillman's health and how fast he can pick up the pass blocking duties.- The other obvious roadblock to Hillman becoming the RB1 is Fox's allegiance to veterans.It seems to me that Clifford took all the Hillman praise and didn't pay any attention to the cautionary words.IMO, Hillman is a draft and hold in keeper/dynasty leagues. Until he's healthy enough to practice and prove that he can handle blitz pickups, he won't be moving up the depth chart, so you're unlikely to get any return on investment on him in the first half of the season.
It's not so much what's said, but how it's said. All of the above was included, but more like:"Hillman was drafted to replace McGahee. He IS the future of the backfield in Denver, of that there can be no doubt. He can do it all and reminds me a young LeSean McCoy. He is fantastic and can run between the tackles. Now, all that being said, Hillman has a few things standing in his way. McGahee is still there, he needs to work on pass protection, and we all know Fox loves veterans. So it might not be until week 8, or it might not even be this season, but Hillman will be the man in Denver when all is said and done."I've heard it so many times I can practically recite it. I've heard it since Denver drafted him. What I get from Cecil is that Hillman as starter in Denver is inevitable - only a matter of when, not if. And when seems to end beginning of next year, and starts as early as midseason.So after hearing all this checked out tape on Hillman. I saw a very small back that looked to have decent speed, very little leg drive, a slight frame, and would have a very hard time being "the man" on any team in the NFL. All of a sudden this belief in Hillman spread to other sites, and the only way you knew he wasn't #2 is if you read the fine print. But to my knowledge Hillman was #2, if at all, only very briefly, as he spent most of offseason and camp behind Lance Ball.Now, if you can't beat out Lance Ball, you are in some serious trouble. He is about as weak competition as you get in the NFL. So there were warning signs before injury set in, but still the drums beat for Hillman.Just seems to me that there was smoke to this fire a long time before today suggesting Hillman was destined for very little this year. And if he can't beat out Lance Ball as a rookie, what really is there to be excited about, even in dynasty?

It's not so much what's said, but how it's said. All of the above was included, but more like:"Hillman was drafted to replace McGahee. He IS the future of the backfield in Denver, of that there can be no doubt. He can do it all and reminds me a young LeSean McCoy. He is fantastic and can run between the tackles. Now, all that being said, Hillman has a few things standing in his way. McGahee is still there, he needs to work on pass protection, and we all know Fox loves veterans. So it might not be until week 8, or it might not even be this season, but Hillman will be the man in Denver when all is said and done."I've heard it so many times I can practically recite it. I've heard it since Denver drafted him. What I get from Cecil is that Hillman as starter in Denver is inevitable - only a matter of when, not if. And when seems to end beginning of next year, and starts as early as midseason.So after hearing all this checked out tape on Hillman. I saw a very small back that looked to have decent speed, very little leg drive, a slight frame, and would have a very hard time being "the man" on any team in the NFL. All of a sudden this belief in Hillman spread to other sites, and the only way you knew he wasn't #2 is if you read the fine print. But to my knowledge Hillman was #2, if at all, only very briefly, as he spent most of offseason and camp behind Lance Ball.Now, if you can't beat out Lance Ball, you are in some serious trouble. He is about as weak competition as you get in the NFL. So there were warning signs before injury set in, but still the drums beat for Hillman.Just seems to me that there was smoke to this fire a long time before today suggesting Hillman was destined for very little this year. And if he can't beat out Lance Ball as a rookie, what really is there to be excited about?
Ball my be week in FF terms but has a lot of value to Denver in what he dose for the team in real football.

Somewehre in one of these threads a few months ago that I can't find now (so I'll paraphrase), we were discussing this Broncos running game and I said that the ONE thing that Moreno absolutely does well is perform in his role as a pass-catcher out of the backfield.

I think this is a situation that could be very fluid but certainly is one to not be surprised about should Moreno cash in for owners. He HAS been productive in ppr before. I know, its hard to remember but he had a nice run a few years ago in ppr because he was catching 5-6 a game out of the backfield, was scoring on some open-field plays out there and then chipping in with a few yards here and there. We know Manning is willing to use a RB in that fashion. I can recall a handful of games over the years where Manning would come up to the line and check into that short passing game and wear teams out with Addai. I think a few of those games, Addai had 8-10 catches.

So it makes a lot of sense to me and at this point in his career, protecting Manning on 3rd down isn't "a" priority, it is THE priority. Even if a play gets zero yards, they sure as heck want to keep him available for the next play. On any team, a back that can't pick up a blitz is a short-term liability.

Users who are viewing this thread