What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shoes Off Or On In Your House? (1 Viewer)

Shoes Off Or On In Your House?

• Definitely On

Votes: 20 12.0%
  • Probably On

Votes: 22 13.2%
  • On The Fence

Votes: 10 6.0%
  • Probably Off

Votes: 41 24.6%
  • Definitely Off

Votes: 74 44.3%

• Total voters
nope. I grew up in the suburbs of SF- always wore shoes in our house and friends' houses.
House slippers? Or just whatever shoes you'd normally wear out and about?

No lounging around one's own home in boxers + T-shirt, old gym shorts, or sweatpants or anything like that? I kind of feel like we're all talking past each other a bit. Lounging in old T-shirt and sweatpants on my couch, in for the night and watching TV at 9:00 p.m. ... I don't think I am wearing my tennis shoes or loafers or anything like that.

But in your household growing up, going that casual was just not done?

Definitely on. 

I can't stand to be barefooted. It hurts my feet. If I'm not in bed or in the shower, I have shoes on. 

Heck, I can't even stand to watch somebody else walk barefooted across gravel.

House slippers? Or just whatever shoes you'd normally wear out and about?

No lounging around one's own home in boxers + T-shirt, old gym shorts, or sweatpants or anything like that? I kind of feel like we're all talking past each other a bit. Lounging in old T-shirt and sweatpants on my couch, in for the night and watching TV at 9:00 p.m. ... I don't think I am wearing my tennis shoes or loafers or anything like that.

But in your household growing up, going that casual was just not done?
I'm thinking more of when you come though the door from outside- as that's how I see this question being posed. I didn't strip down, no. Coat off, and that was it. 

When I woke up on a weekend and was around the house? No- I wasn't putting shoes on for that.

I have hardwood on my main level. Cleats, boots and heels...off. Sneakers and flops are fine. 

I never ask guests to take their shoes off. 

For the shoe off people. Do you have dogs.

My wife will complain about my shoes being on and then our 2 dogs run in/out of their doggy door into the yard tracking all sorts of whatever into the house.

My wife will complain about my shoes being on and then our 2 dogs run in/out of their doggy door into the yard tracking all sorts of whatever into the house.
:bag:  when it’s muddy out I wipe their paws with baby wipes. We have thick tall grass here so it’s not usually a problem. 

I don’t tell people to remove their shoes, especially for a house party but if people are coming over just to watch a game they kick their shoes off. But I’ve known these people for 25 years. 

My ex would yell at me all the time about shoes on.  Now I find myself smiling while laying on the couch with my shoes on thinking man no more yelling.   

Taking shoes off is pretty simple.

Removing my dog's paws is not. Nor is not letting them in the house. 

I don't wear gloves in my house but I still wash my hands when I can because it's easy to do and is more good hygiene.  There's no absolutes. Just try to take simple measures to keep things clean. Shoes off is just one of those.

Last edited by a moderator:
this is probably an urban/non-urban thing too. anywhere where you're walking around city sidewalks and/or public transportation... no way in hell you want to then bring that into your home. if you're driving from your home to work to lunch to home, whatever.
It's a Canada/US thing too. It comes up on social media from time to time too and Canadians don't understand why all the Americans on TV are wearing shoes indoors. 

Sometimes they are on; sometimes they are off...whatever happens to be most comfortable for me at any given moment.  Other people coming in?  Do whatever you want unless your shoes are all wet and muddy for some reason.

Yeah, I think this was worded poorly. Should be more "does it bother you if people wear their shoes in your house". 
If it does, and I mean this sincerely, not sarcastically, you probably shouldn't be inviting people over. Though I guess I do see the point for those that live in snowy (Minnesota) or muddy (Seattle) types of areas. Never having lived in one, I can see where constant weather might make the whole "shoes off" thing more widely common and acceptable.

We take our shoes off in the garage before coming in.

If people come over and they ask if they should take them off, we will say something along the lines of "we do" and they often do. But we don't ask guests that don't bring it up first.

I always ask when visiting elsewhere.
So your socks/bare feet are in contact with the garage floor first and then walking into the house?

My house...you take your shoes off.  You’re probably dirty.

Your house...I’m keeping my shoes on in case I have to fight you.

You figure it out.

We have wood floors so, as long as you didn't just walk through rain, mud, 🐶   crap, etc. feel free to wear your shoes.

Old house had carpet so shoes off. 

this. and I've peed AND crapped on nick's floor.

this is probably an urban/non-urban thing too. anywhere where you're walking around city sidewalks and/or public transportation... no way in hell you want to then bring that into your home. if you're driving from your home to work to lunch to home, whatever.

I grew up in the suburbs and we always wore our shoes inside. NYC, never. but some homes are lax about guests- levaing it up to them... which is our approach. if people ask, we say that we do, but it's up to them. most people take them off. 

I think it lines up with people who don't use umbrellas- which is far more bizarre to me. if you walk places, you use an umbrella- apparently some of the people who drive everywhere refuse this convenience.

eta: but nick is moving to the burbs... what then? WHAT THEN!?
Shoes on inside most of the time, I live in a urban area and rarely use an umbrella

stlrams said:
My ex would yell at me all the time about shoes on.  Now I find myself smiling while laying on the couch with my shoes on thinking man no more yelling.   
Ah, yes the sweet sound of silence. No nag, just gone.

I put "On the fence" because it doesn't matter to me if guests keep their shoes on or take them off in my place. I generally take mine off when I get home and put on house slippers.

So your socks/bare feet are in contact with the garage floor first and then walking into the house?
We have 2 short stairs at the door from our garage to our house.  Shoe rack is right next to those little stairs.  I take mine off on the steps and step into my home. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't give a #### BUT! I am close enough with a couple people where if I had this rule I'd have seperate rule for those 2 people to keep their shod on because their feet stink like a #####. And I'm sure those kind of people get really self conscience about rules like the ones being discussed here so that sucks for them. Don't make people feel self conscience about their insecurities. Life is hard enough as it is. 

What were we talking about? 

People pretty much everywhere typically remove shoes and get comfortable in their own homes, right?

I can read the bolded in two way -- what people do in their own homes vs. what people do when visiting other people's homes.
OK, point taken.  However, if I go to someone's house, and they aren't wearing their shoes, particularly if they have a pile of shoes by the front door, I take that as they don't want the outside being tracked all through their house.

Also a regional difference that may be an underlying theme is if we are talking about shoes with bare feet vs shoes with socks.  Some people have made statements like "keep your grubby feet off my floors."  Well, if you are wearing socks, I would imagine that would be optimal if you are worried about your floors.  I understand bare feet can be nasty, but I'd still prefer that to your shoes you have been wearing everywhere and don't get washed on a daily basis.

Users who are viewing this thread