What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Should there be a cap on NIL? (1 Viewer)

The ghosts of the uncompensated are dancing on the NCAA's grave right now.
PFT on the ruling

This is everything:

The various colleges and universities are independent businesses. Under the federal antitrust laws, they can’t come together and agree to limitations on how people make money.
OK, it’s clear, no limits, no rules and a free-for-all is unfolding. What does this mean for the future of college sports? No big deal, business as usual? No negative effects? It would be great if that is the case and is a much to do about nothing.

PFT on the ruling

This is everything:

The various colleges and universities are independent businesses. Under the federal antitrust laws, they can’t come together and agree to limitations on how people make money.
OK, it’s clear, no limits, no rules and a free-for-all is unfolding. What does this mean for the future of college sports? No big deal, business as usual? No negative effects? It would be great if that is the case and is a much to do about nothing.

College sports will have to adjust, and they will because they still make a ton of money.

PFT on the ruling

This is everything:

College sports will have to adjust, and they will because they still make a ton of money.
So whoever has the deepest pockets wins. What could go wrong?

PFT on the ruling

This is everything:

You act like everything was perfect before and there weren't haves and have nots. It is just changing.

PFT on the ruling

This is everything:

You act like everything was perfect before and there weren't haves and have nots. It is just changing.
Does deepest pockets wins even more now? Will there be more bribery?

PFT on the ruling

This is everything:

Who knows, but I am sure everyone will adjust.

PFT on the ruling

This is everything:

Adjusting to huge amounts of bribery, interesting concept.

PFT on the ruling

This is everything:

Just because you call it bribery and can't see anyway but the complete ruination of college sports doesn't mean they won't adjust. The sky isn't falling.

PFT on the ruling

This is everything:

Just because you call it bribery and can't see anyway but the complete ruination of college sports doesn't mean they won't adjust. The sky isn't falling.
So you don’t think kids will be bribed to go to a particular school? It’s bribery by the very definition of the word if there is an illegal element to it.

Last edited:
PFT on the ruling

This is everything:

So you don’t think kids will be bribed to go to a particular school? It’s bribery by the very definition of the word.

It isn't bribery. It would be like me calling it slavery under the old system.

PFT on the ruling

This is everything:

So you don’t think kids will be bribed to go to a particular school? It’s bribery by the very definition of the word.

Ok, as long as bribery and deepest pockets wins is cool, I’m cool.

PFT on the ruling

This is everything:

Some hill you are dying on. This must be why Texas A&M, Miami and others that spend the most and win all the titles.

PFT on the ruling

This is everything:

Some hill you are dying on. This must be why Texas A&M, Miami and others that spend the most and win all the titles.
They have barely scratched the surface of what this will become. The sources of the money will be a wide range of unsavory people.

PFT on the ruling

This is everything:

They have barely scratched the surface of what this will become. The sources of the money will be a wide range of unsavory people.

They have barely scratched the surface and you already know how it is going to go and it will go poorly.

PFT on the ruling

This is everything:

They have barely scratched the surface and you already know how it is going to go and it will go poorly.
We agree on that ;)

PFT on the ruling

This is everything:

We agree on that ;)

I feel bad for you.

PFT on the ruling

This is everything:

We agree on that ;)

I feel bad for you.
Come on man, don’t be like that….,again. I didn’t say anything about the other snarky remarks, like dying on a hill and comparing bribery with slavery of the past.

PFT on the ruling

This is everything:

We agree on that ;)

I feel bad for you.
Come on man, don’t be like that….,again.

Seriously? This whole thing is brand new and you have already decided that it is ruining college sports because it is different and you can't possibly fathom how it could work, so there isn't anyway that anyone could come up with rules that benefit both sides. There will be some negatives, like there is with everything and this is after you argued with everyone about the legality of capping it.

So you are either trolling, or anything you disagree with or is different is bad and the worst possible outcome will happen because you dislike it. Either way I feel bad for you.

PFT on the ruling

This is everything:

We agree on that ;)

I feel bad for you.

Seriously? This whole thing is brand new and you have already decided that it is ruining college sports because it is different and you can't possibly fathom how it could work, so there isn't anyway that anyone could come up with rules that benefit both sides. There will be some negatives, like there is with everything and this is after you argued with everyone about the legality of capping it.

So you are either trolling, or anything you disagree with or is different is bad and the worst possible outcome will happen because you dislike it. Either way I feel bad for you.
Just stop. You’re being very rude. Not only now, but from the very beginning of this thread. Please be respectful, as I have to you. If you can’t do that, don’t reply to me at all.

PFT on the ruling

This is everything:

We agree on that ;)

I feel bad for you.

Just stop. You’re being very rude. Not only now, but from the very beginning of this thread. Please be respectful, as I have to you. If you can’t do that, don’t reply to me at all.

Take your own advice, many posters in this thread have tried to inform you and you have scoffed at them many times.

You are also being very obtuse and arrogant just claiming you know what is going to happen with something this new.

Your first post said forgive my ignorance, but when anyone tries to help you, you get sensitive and combative.

PFT on the ruling

This is everything:

We agree on that ;)

I feel bad for you.

Take your own advice, many posters in this thread have tried to inform you and you have scoffed at them many times.

You are also being very obtuse and arrogant just claiming you know what is going to happen with something this new.

Your first post said forgive my ignorance, but when anyone tries to help you, you get sensitive and combative.
I’m only going to ask you one more time to be less disrespectful and rude. I’ve been respectful to you and deserve the same.

PFT on the ruling

This is everything:

We agree on that ;)

I feel bad for you.

I’m only going to ask you one more time to be less disrespectful and rude. I’ve been respectful to you and deserve the same.

Then quit saying the same thing as facts. None of us know where this is going.

PFT on the ruling

This is everything:

We agree on that ;)

I feel bad for you.

Then quit saying the same thing as facts. None of us know where this is going.
You’re right. It’s not a fact that players are going to be bribed to the highest bidder to go to their school. Perhaps we can end it there while we’re both still alive.

Will there be more bribery?

ol? It’s bribery by the very definition of the word.

“You Keep Using That Word, I Do Not Think It Means What You Think It Means"
I suppose it wouldn’t be bribery if anyone and everyone can offer cash to entice a player. Then there wouldn’t be an illegal element to it. However, if there are rules who can offer NIL, then yes, bribery can creep into it.

I suppose it wouldn’t be bribery if anyone and everyone can offer cash to entice a player. Then there wouldn’t be an illegal element to it.

what exactly are you talking about being illegal?
I may have missed where you discussed precisely what you think is wrong here, other than uncapped NIL apparently destroying the formerly pristine college sports.

I suppose it wouldn’t be bribery if anyone and everyone can offer cash to entice a player. Then there wouldn’t be an illegal element to it.
Yeah, this actually gets rid of bribery. When you had money handshakes and bag men, that was illegal, that was bribery. Now it's just pay for play.

Yeah, this actually gets rid of bribery. When you had money handshakes and bag men, that was illegal, that was bribery. Now it's just pay for play.
Are there rules on who can offer money? If yes, then I can see someone breaking this rule.

what exactly are you talking about being illegal?
I may have missed where you discussed precisely what you think is wrong here, other than uncapped NIL apparently destroying the formerly pristine college sports.
Are there rules on who can offer money? If yes, then I can see someone breaking this rule and a player taking from this person to go to a particular school.

Are there rules on who can offer money? If yes, then I can see someone breaking this rule and a player taking from this person to go to a particular school.
I’m no expert on this, but I’d assume conflict of interest type rules would apply. I mean, there could be issues if Michigan boosters paid NIL money to an Ohio State QB. Is that your concern?

I’m no expert on this, but I’d assume conflict of interest type rules would apply. I mean, there could be issues if Michigan boosters paid NIL money to an Ohio State QB. Is that your concern?
I suppose I’m asking if money is paid from a non-approved source, whether that is the only cash offered, or in addition to approved NIL, is that legal? I would think only approved sources are allowed, but I don’t know. If it’s illegal that would constitute bribery.

Last edited:
I suppose I’m asking if money is paid from a non-approved source, whether that is the only cash offered, or in addition to approved NIL, is that legal? I would think only approved sources are allowed, but I don’t know. If it’s illegal that would constitute bribery.

Some of the confusion comes from the fact that the sport generates billions in revenue but the main labor force generating the revenue are not allowed to be called paid employees. So when a coach moves to the school that pays him the most, no one calls that bribery even though his salary is funded by private boosters. An engineer goes to work for the company that pays him the most and no one calls that bribery. But of course these schools are not businesses and the players are not employees, right? They’re students! Amateurs! This is the fiction the NCAA is clinging to so as to protect its cash cow. That fiction may cause some to think a star athlete going to play where he’ll earn the highest income is “bribery” and not simply the free market working.

Some of the confusion comes from the fact that the sport generates billions in revenue but the main labor force generating the revenue are not allowed to be called paid employees. So when a coach moves to the school that pays him the most, no one calls that bribery even though his salary is funded by private boosters. An engineer goes to work for the company that pays him the most and no one calls that bribery. But of course these schools are not businesses and the players are not employees, right? They’re students! Amateurs! This is the fiction the NCAA is clinging to so as to protect its cash cow. That fiction may cause some to think a star athlete going to play where he’ll earn the highest income is “bribery” and not simply the free market working.
I’d like it if we just called them independent contractors.

Approved by whom?

I actually think this is an all-time troll, and @JohnnyU is actually a 20 year old college sophomore having a laugh, and if so--hey, well done.

But I do think there are many people who cannot grasp the new reality:

There is no more approving. The NCAA can arrange schedules, and make TV deals, and enforce basic rules of the ON FIELD GAME.

They no longer are allowed (and never should have been), to decide who gets a free pizza, or free sneakers, or a ****ing helicopter made out of Bitcoin.

I understand why you or anyone, don't like the change. But there is no new rule or agreement coming down the pike. This is it, sir.

Approved by whom?

I actually think this is an all-time troll, and @JohnnyU is actually a 20 year old college sophomore having a laugh, and if so--hey, well done.

But I do think there are many people who cannot grasp the new reality:

There is no more approving. The NCAA can arrange schedules, and make TV deals, and enforce basic rules of the ON FIELD GAME.

They no longer are allowed (and never should have been), to decide who gets a free pizza, or free sneakers, or a ****ing helicopter made out of Bitcoin.

I understand why you or anyone, don't like the change. But there is no new rule or agreement coming down the pike. This is it, sir.
So do you think there will be money offered by boosters in addition to the NIL? If yes, do you see that as an issue or not? Will there be some controls on boosters?

One source of NIL money for college athletes is through endorsements. Another source of NIL money comes from group licensing opportunities. Is coming from boosters allowed? If it is OK then I'll drop the whole thing and move on and we can just consider it deepest pockets wins. I'm not trolling. I don't know what boosters are allowed to do in addition to endorsement and other NIL opportunities. Like I said, if boosters are allowed to pay athletes too, then I'll drop my bantering on the subject and realize it's a free-for-all going forward.

Last edited:
So do you think there will be money offered by boosters in addition to the NIL? If yes, do you see that as an issue or not? Will there be some controls on boosters?
I think it will wind up being what we have now, but more organized.

The schools will work with a collective, and probably set up basic deals for recruits. If a kid has 15 offers, he can get 15 bids from an NIL collective, and have a general idea what he can make if he goes there. They might even have built in increases for each year, whatever. Standard bonus offers for appearances, etc.

At the same time, a recruit can go and make a deal on his own. Arch Manning can walk into a clothing store that has nothing to do with a collective, and sign an endorsement deal. The collective, and the school, and the NCAA, isn't the final word on any deals.

I think it will wind up being what we have now, but more organized.

The schools will work with a collective, and probably set up basic deals for recruits. If a kid has 15 offers, he can get 15 bids from an NIL collective, and have a general idea what he can make if he goes there. They might even have built in increases for each year, whatever. Standard bonus offers for appearances, etc.

At the same time, a recruit can go and make a deal on his own. Arch Manning can walk into a clothing store that has nothing to do with a collective, and sign an endorsement deal. The collective, and the school, and the NCAA, isn't the final word on any deals.
So basically anything goes, including booster offerings, even if in addition to NIL money. If that is legal, then there is not much else to say. I wasn't trolling, just trying to understand if there are any restrictions to money transpiring outside of NIL. I'll drop my posting on the subject.

PFT on the ruling

This is everything:

Welcome to earth. This has been practiced for Tens of thousands of years (or 6000 years if math and science confuses you).

PFT on the ruling

This is everything:

Welcome to earth. This has been practiced for Tens of thousands of years (or 6000 years if math and science confuses you).
Neither math or science confuse me, I'm well educated, but I get the pun. Yes, deepest pockets win and now it's the Wild Wild West in the world of sports. Go ahead and knock this battery off my shoulders, I dare you. - Robert Conrad. Some will not get that.

But really, forget about the control for a sec. There's a lot of money, some schools have access to more money than others, etc.

With NIL, and the transfer portal, I can make a pretty strong argument that the playing field is about to get more level. The top schools have already wrecked parity. They have 5 star players scattered across their benches, waiting their turn behind other 5 star athletes. They can easily get playing time, and maybe more money, starting for another school, and helping that team get better.

I really don't see how the talent doesn't get spread out more, because even if a school has the most money, athletes will always transfer for playing time.

But really, forget about the control for a sec. There's a lot of money, some schools have access to more money than others, etc.

With NIL, and the transfer portal, I can make a pretty strong argument that the playing field is about to get more level. The top schools have already wrecked parity. They have 5 star players scattered across their benches, waiting their turn behind other 5 star athletes. They can easily get playing time, and maybe more money, starting for another school, and helping that team get better.

I really don't see how the talent doesn't get spread out more, because even if a school has the most money, athletes will always transfer for playing time.
I like that. Yes, it may spread the wealth of these 5 star guys going to another power 5 school. I'm not sure how this will affect the 2 and 3 star guys.

I like that. Yes, it may spread the wealth of these 5 star guys going to another power 5 school. I'm not sure how this will affect the 2 and 3 star guys.
Here's one way to look at it:

Was college football better or worse in 2023 with Nix at OU, Penix at WA, and Daniels at LSU?

Here's one way to look at it:

Was college football better or worse in 2023 with Nix at OU, Penix at WA, and Daniels at LSU?
Yes, it was, but all of this is still evolving. Let's see where it goes. I'm not convinced it is all good, but neither was the previous system.

Is coming from boosters allowed? If it is OK then I'll drop the whole thing and move on and we can just consider it deepest pockets wins.
Yes. Alabama (might have been boosters, maybe not the school itself) sent emails after they lost in the playoffs, to fans asking for assistance to players so they can compete. I found that request to be a bit much but they have the right to do it.

Is coming from boosters allowed? If it is OK then I'll drop the whole thing and move on and we can just consider it deepest pockets wins.
Yes. Alabama (might have been boosters, maybe not the school itself) sent emails after they lost in the playoffs, to fans asking for assistance to players so they can compete. I found that request to be a bit much but they have the right to do it.
Thanks for clarifying. Ok, it's officially anything goes. I wasn't sure it was.

As in, do the actual accounting to see what the value was for that player, then pay them the value calculated?
Who is doing the accounting, and who is paying the money? The collectives?

The collectives are set up with boosters and the schools, but they aren't the final word. Arch Manning got whatever he arranged from the UT collective, and I am quite sure made his own deals as well. The collectives are the main source of NIL money for most players, but these kids can go and hustle for whatever sponsor they can get.

The collectives can account for their money, but they have no say over all the money athletes have access to.
You could hire independent auditors. Instead of letting the kids "hustle for whatever sponsor they can get" or letting the biased schools do the calculating. I'm just trying to find a way to get athletes compensated for NIL without turning college sports into a semi-pro league. Probably too late.

Why can't NIL be calculated afterward, based on the actual cost of licensing name, image and likeness? As in, do the actual accounting to see what the value was for that player, then pay them the value calculated?

That way it becomes something other than a signing bonus, and players still get compensated for their actual NIL contributions.
Most NIL deals don't really have a tangible value. If an athlete becomes a social media brand ambassador for a burger joint on campus, what calculations are you doing there?
I'm sure there are entities that can quantify it. Didn't we hear about the $330 million in brand value Taylor Swift gave the NFL? That's not a concrete number, but there are ways to get an estimate.

Except for the part where the "free" market refuses to hire capable workers because of an arbitrary rule about how many years they have to be out of high school.

Really there's no reason the schools should be involved in an NFL farm league, and I think the end game will be that more and more tap out and go Ivy League or play rugby or whatever. The few schools that actually are committed to playing this game will work out a structure where their programs are independent entities covered under NFLPA agreements or something like that.

The boosters were the source of funds. They will not be. The athletic departments are in complete joy they can stop glad-handing these rich dudes that latch on to a schools football team to give themselves a sense of worth, and in many cases they run the program (see LSU as exhibit #1).

These programs are going to get their primary money from elsewhere. If Goldman Sachs gives LSU $1B of NIL funding in exchange for 5% of revenues, it's gonna be a win for both sides. Fictitious #s, but whatever works for both parties. And Goldman will be on the stadium, jerseys, and gatorade cups. And the AD can worry about only Goldman rather than Tom, **** and Harry who own car dealerships in Shreeveport and Jane, Mary, and Martha who own casinos in Baton Rouge. It's a much simpler model and let's the AD and coach focus on winning and their 100 independent contractor players rather than attending 300 booster benefit dinners.

Users who are viewing this thread