What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Should USC's QB Caleb Williams Sit Out Rest Of Season? - FFA version (1 Viewer)

Should USC's QB Caleb Williams Sit Out Rest Of Season?

• Total voters
Haven't voted, but I don't think he will sit out. It's not his character.

I hear this a good bit. I'm not sure I have a good read on his character. He got heat for the stuff painted on his nails last year but has seemed to move on. Other than that, he seems pretty normal for character. I don't see anything exceptionally good or bad. What do you see?

Sorry, but if he isn't competitive enough to wanna be out there with his team=mates fighting to win games, he isn't worth that higher pick slot anyway (at least to me).

I absolutely understand sitting out a minor bowl game or a single game with little to play for and a sore knee...but sit several games to protect a draft slot? Nope, wouldn't want him

he should sit out not for injury but because his stock is dropping quick

Do you really believe that?

I think he'd still go #1. But I totally think his stock is dropping. A couple of weeks ago, FOX Sports Nick Wright called him the 6th most valuable QB in the NFL right now.

He's still #1 but has dropped to where it's not the light years of difference between him and the pack.

I went back and looked at his game log to see where the drop is coming from - it ain't the Utah game. Completed 70% of passes against a formidable defense; ran one in that could have been the deciding score (in hindsight, USC should have chewed clock before scoring). The Notre Dame game was bad - he'd never thrown more than 2 INTs before in a game and he did that once against Baylor his freshman year. So that was bad. And the Arizona game was just weird.....I don't know what to make of that.

As far as the pack, if we're talking QBs closing that gap, what about Drake Maye's last two games are making NFL GM's reconsider Caleb's stock? Maybe completed 50% (AWFUL) of his passes in back to back and games and his team just lost to a horrible Virginia team.

Would an NFL team take a WR #1? Hasn't happened since Keyshawn Johnson and it's only happened twice, though I'd suggest Marvin Harrison Jr. is a different kind of special.

I hear this a good bit. I'm not sure I have a good read on his character. He got heat for the stuff painted on his nails last year but has seemed to move on. Other than that, he seems pretty normal for character. I don't see anything exceptionally good or bad. What do you see?

I see a competitor that loves to play football and doesn't want to sit when he can play. I don't pay attention to the nail stuff; he's a kid. But sitting out to preserve draft stock or avoid injury? I just don't see it with him.

i voted no and would hate it but would understand if he did. i honestly don't think NFL teams would ding him as quitting on his team, sadly.

my immediate reaction is if he and others in his situation started to do this, then the quality of college football would take a nosedive. but then thinking of it deeper, how many players would be such a clear cut first round pick in the upcoming draft that they can afford to sit out each year and slide from a top 2-3 pick to later? Probably a handful at most if any at all. sitting hurts more than playing imo (maybe not for caleb) and injury would be the only reason I'd advocate the move.

I see a competitor that loves to play football and doesn't want to sit when he can play. I don't pay attention to the nail stuff; he's a kid. But sitting out to preserve draft stock or avoid injury? I just don't see it with him.

Thanks. I guess I just haven't seen any more of that than I do with every player. But I kept hearing it so I wanted to ask.

I think he'd still go #1. But I totally think his stock is dropping. A couple of weeks ago, FOX Sports Nick Wright called him the 6th most valuable QB in the NFL right now.

He's still #1 but has dropped to where it's not the light years of difference between him and the pack.

I went back and looked at his game log to see where the drop is coming from - it ain't the Utah game. Completed 70% of passes against a formidable defense; ran one in that could have been the deciding score (in hindsight, USC should have chewed clock before scoring). The Notre Dame game was bad - he'd never thrown more than 2 INTs before in a game and he did that once against Baylor his freshman year. So that was bad. And the Arizona game was just weird.....I don't know what to make of that.

As far as the pack, if we're talking QBs closing that gap, what about Drake Maye's last two games are making NFL GM's reconsider Caleb's stock? Maybe completed 50% (AWFUL) of his passes in back to back and games and his team just lost to a horrible Virginia team.

Would an NFL team take a WR #1? Hasn't happened since Keyshawn Johnson and it's only happened twice, though I'd suggest Marvin Harrison Jr. is a different kind of special.

I think it's coincided with him being at the front of the Heisman race to becoming a long shot.

And for sure, Heisman winner isn't necessarily the #1 pick obviously.

The Caleb Cares Foundation focuses on anti-bullying, youth empowerment and mental health awareness.

LOS ANGELES — After walking off a stage at the Galen Center, after talking to kids from Audubon Middle School, Caleb Williams took a look around the hall. The USC quarterback took in the scene for a moment as kids opened up their provided lunches.

“I never thought at 20 I’d have a foundation, I never thought at 20 I’d be here in L.A.,” Williams said.

Friday was the first official event for Caleb Cares, Williams’ new foundation committed to an anti-bullying cause. The middle schoolers were given a tour of USC’s athletics buildings by the department’s director of community outreach, McCall Hall, who emphasized how much work was required to become a collegiate student-athlete.

The tour started in Heritage Hall before entering the John McKay Center and ending at Galen Center, where Williams met with the group. After introducing himself with information like his hometown – Washington, D.C. – and nickname – Superman – he got into his message.

Williams opened up about things people had teased or been critical of him for in the past, from painting his fingernails as a form of expression to his January decision to transfer from Oklahoma, a move he told the kids he still receives vitriolic tweets and hate mail about.

He told them that the key to overcoming any type of bullying is to have a strong support system, as his parents beamed proudly in the back of the room.

“This is huge because as a kid, you get bullied and that can change your life if you don’t have people around you that can help move along or make sure your mental is straight, that can affect you very deeply in the future,” Williams told reporters. “I paint my nails as a male. I left Oklahoma; as we know, they have a really good support system when you’re there, when you leave, they’re a little bit different. So having that (support system), it was huge.”

Since arriving at USC, Williams has made it a priority to give back to those around him. He started at the hyper-local level, sharing the wealth from his NIL deal with Beats by distributing about $100,000 worth of headphones to the student-athletes and coaches on the USC football team and both basketball programs.

But he always wanted to extend it the community at large, as he did growing up. His alma mater, Gonzaga College High, had a soup kitchen in the basement of the chapel and he frequently volunteered there. At the height of the pandemic, he helped out his grandfather, a pastor, distribute thousands of meals to those in need.

“This is huge because as a kid, you get bullied and that can change your life if you don’t have people around you that can help move along or make sure your mental is straight, that can affect you very deeply in the future,” Williams told reporters. “I paint my nails as a male. I left Oklahoma; as we know, they have a really good support system when you’re there, when you leave, they’re a little bit different. So having that (support system), it was huge.”

Since arriving at USC, Williams has made it a priority to give back to those around him. He started at the hyper-local level, sharing the wealth from his NIL deal with Beats by distributing about $100,000 worth of headphones to the student-athletes and coaches on the USC football team and both basketball programs.

So the Caleb Cares initiative was a natural progression for Williams, one that will continue on through the fall as he makes his official debut for USC. He wants to invite the kids from Audubon Middle School to attend games and practices. And Williams would like to visit the school himself.

“If Coach (Lincoln) Riley allows me,” he joked Friday.

The schedule got in the way of him staying for lunch after the first event, running off to a noon class. But he left the kids with goody bags filled with USC jerseys and a white “Fight On” shirt Williams designed himself.

“So there’s a lot of surreal things that are happening in my life right now,” Williams said. “Taking it one step at a time is what I’m doing.”

This was before he played a down at USC and before he won the Heisman. Sure, I wasn't the public figure that Caleb is, but I certainly wasn't focused on positively impacting lives when I was 20 years old. Yes, he's a competitor and gets pissed when he is not performing up to his own expectations. And the Utah fingernail incident certainly didn't go over well. But from what I've seen and heard (and I follow USC football more than most), he is an exceptional teammate and seems to be a person of high character. My son's roommate is on the USC football team and from what I understand, he only has good things to say about Caleb.

Last edited:
And again, I think he's clearly the #1 pick. I just hear lots of talk about how the gap between Williams and pack isn't nearly what it was.

I think it's coincided with him being at the front of the Heisman race to becoming a long shot.

And for sure, Heisman winner isn't necessarily the #1 pick obviously.

Well for 1, there's only been one player who won the Heisman twice, so the odds of him winning it again were miniscule to begin with. And 2, unless I'm mistaken, I don't think winning a 2nd Heisman was his main objective this year - it was getting USC into the playoffs. He was the consensus #1 overall pick this summer and he's still that now, regardless of the down week or two.

Hate so say it, but the Heisman isn't the prestigious award it was long ago and hasn't been for quite some time. When was the last time you (any of you) tuned in to watch the presentation? Without looking, can you tell me who won it the year before Caleb? Can you name the last 5 without looking? I'm not sure I can, though I suppose if you just think about the run OU QBs had, it'll help you. 20 years ago, I could name the Heisman winners in chronological order from by birth year forward. Now? I just don't care. Once guys like Gino Torretta and Chris Weinke started winning it, I lost interest.

It's a good question you pose. I'm not sure what he WILL do and I'm not sure what he SHOULD do.

I tend to agree. When he was a kid, he reportedly set a goal of winning two Heismans. Apparently he has trained like a fiend and was laser-focused on developing his skills throughout his junior high and high school years. He doesn't seem like a guy that would sit out the rest of the season. I think it would hurt his pride and competitive spirit too much, even if it was the smart thing to do.

In a way colleges are getting the shaft with athletes leaving early to go pro. They put up the scholarships and support for the athletes. Yes, they make lots of money off of them, especially thru tv rights,bowl games etc... I realize in this case it's just not risking injury until the draft, but it's up to him but I would prefer to see him play and support his teammates.

A little yes. My comment above was slightly tongue in cheek.

But his last 2 weeks definitely has dropped his stock, will he still go #1 .... probably but I don't think its as clear cut as it was

I suppose a lot of where he goes depends on who is doing the drafting. Chicago is in a very interesting position with 2 of the top 5 picks (possible 1.01 and 1.02 depending on how they finish). But do they close the book on Justin Fields?

The Penn State OL Fashnu is predicted to be a top 2-3 pick and Marvin Harrison is increasing the value of his stock every week.

You folks are going to have to convince me that Drake Maye is in the same tier as Caleb Williams. I'm not seeing it.

And my oh my did I make this thread Shark Pooly. Sorry about that!

After Riley left he continued to practice at OU and played in the completely meaningless Alamo Bowl against Oregon before he then decided to transfer. I don’t think he will shut it down until the regular season is over.

I tend to agree. When he was a kid, he reportedly set a goal of winning two Heismans. Apparently he has trained like a fiend and was laser-focused on developing his skills throughout his junior high and high school years. He doesn't seem like a guy that would sit out the rest of the season. I think it would hurt his pride and competitive spirit too much, even if it was the smart thing to do.
This is a really good point. Even if it was completely the right thing to do, does a guy who proclaims to want all of the things he said in the offseason (2nd Heisman, multiple perfect % completion games, season with no interceptions, etc.) accept potentially finishing as the #2 or later overall pick if he gives ground to someone surging into the front? The competitive side of him probably says he cannot let someone catch him.

Probably no one can catch him, to be perfectly clear, but hard to picture a guy with that attitude as coasting to the finish line.

I used to be a OMG how can you skip a bowl game....... now meh. The season is over and the Food City Quakerstate Gator Bowl sponsored by John Deere Tractors doesn't move the needle.

Playing for a National Championship I'm 50/50 now how I feel

I find it interesting this is even in question. Maybe I'm too close to it, but I see his stock dropping fast.

Granted, still at #1. But it's gone from him being miles ahead the obvious #1 to now just being pretty much the obvious #1 pick.

People have noticed he went from Heisman front runner to longshot, right?

I used to be a OMG how can you skip a bowl game....... now meh. The season is over and the Food City Quakerstate Gator Bowl sponsored by John Deere Tractors doesn't move the needle.

I think we're headed there. You'll see top players quit well before they get to the National Championship.

I don't know what Williams will do here, but my expectation is it will become the norm for a college player to quit as soon as they're out of the Heisman / playoff race. For exactly the reasons Acho is saying. We've already accepted it for non playoff bowl games. The bar will continue to lower.

I find it interesting this is even in question. Maybe I'm too close to it, but I see his stock dropping fast.

Granted, still at #1. But it's gone from him being miles ahead the obvious #1 to now just being pretty much the obvious #1 pick.

I don't disagree but he did win the Heisman last year as a sohpmore..... so it's not as if he has no tape. And Penix was a preseason long shot and now the current favorite. And lets also factor in. Williams is a Junior and Penix is in his 6th year of college......

I don't disagree but he did win the Heisman last year as a sohpmore..... so it's not as if he has no tape. And Penix was a preseason long shot and now the current favorite. And lets also factor in. Williams is a Junior and Penix is in his 6th year of college......

Not anymore. He had a clunker in the Pac 12 After Dark game and UW should have lost that game. Penix wasn't good.

New favorite is JT McCarthy with Jayden Daniels soaring up the odds board.

Not anymore. He had a clunker in the Pac 12 After Dark game and UW should have lost that game. Penix wasn't good.

hmm maybe i was looking at last weeks odds...... logging in lol

yeah latest has JT then jayden and Penix almost the same odds

Last edited:

hmm maybe i was looking at last weeks odds...... logging in lol

yeah latest has JT then jayden and Penix almost the same odds

I like Jordan Travis at 12-1. I don't think Daniels can win it with a team that's already lost twice. Penix looks a little banged up from what I saw on Saturday and he was not the same guy I saw shredding Oregon (and other schools). JT McCarthy hasn't played anybody - will he hold up against Ohio State? Penn State? Bo Nix, forget about it. They'd need to run the table and he would need a lot of the traffic in front of him to clear out.

Florida State has the best chance to go undefeated, IMO. If they do, Travis could steal this award and at 12-1? Color me intrigued.

This whole conversation really saddens me. I know the genie left the bottle long ago and it is never going back in. I really hate seeing players sit out of bowl games, and I really hope it doesn't progress to the point of players sitting out parts of seasons. Sure, I understand why they do it, but that doesn't stop it from making me depressed. To me, football has always been the greatest of team sports. I think back to my playing days and remember the sense of family and unity that emerged from the sport. I would go through a wall for my teammates/coaches and felt like they would do the same for me. Being part of a football team was something special. Big business and the almighty dollar rule the roost now. The erosion is even infiltrating the high school level now.

Maybe I am just being nostalgic trying to hang on to what the game once was, but I certainly hope Williams plays out the season. I bet teammates like WRs Tahj Washington and Brenden Rice hope he plays it out. Their futures aren't as clearly mapped out as Williams', and Miller Moss probably isn't going to help them much.

I "agree" with sitting out rest of season because they are unlikely to win a Natty. All these armchair QBs don't realize this is a business...that's all this is for the top guys.

It would have been "strongly agree" before NIL, but now that he is likely financially secure for life it gives him a little bit more leeway so although I woud sit it out with 9 figures likely in his future, I would understand taking a little more risk with likely 8 figures in the bank account right now.

It's a very interesting discussion that NIL has definitely changed...these top guys won't even have to play in the NFL if they don't want to which I think is a good thing.

In a way colleges are getting the shaft with athletes leaving early to go pro. They put up the scholarships and support for the athletes. Yes, they make lots of money off of them, especially thru tv rights,bowl games etc... I realize in this case it's just not risking injury until the draft, but it's up to him but I would prefer to see him play and support his teammates.

Not exactly the trend necessarily, now with NIL colleges could see these guys stick around longer as NIL money for the top guys like Williams increases...it's no joke now. Williams is already set for life.

In a way colleges are getting the shaft with athletes leaving early to go pro. They put up the scholarships and support for the athletes. Yes, they make lots of money off of them, especially thru tv rights,bowl games etc... it's up to him but I would prefer to see him play and support his teammates.

Not exactly the trend necessarily, now with NIL colleges could see these guys stick around longer as NIL money for the top guys like Williams increases...it's no joke now. Williams is already set for life.
Yes, kind of ruins the team concept, but I get it.

I think we're headed there. You'll see top players quit well before they get to the National Championship.

I don't know what Williams will do here, but my expectation is it will become the norm for a college player to quit as soon as they're out of the Heisman / playoff race. For exactly the reasons Acho is saying. We've already accepted it for non playoff bowl games. The bar will continue to lower.
I know this is something that would never happen but it would be very interesting to see empty stadiums and record low TV ratings for teams that are “out of the playoff race”. I mean if the games aren’t important enough for the athletes- why would it be important for the fans?

And I’m not saying that in the angry old man way - I’ve accepted the game has changed but with things like this and major realignment they have to be careful not to kill the golden goose.

Likely a big reason they will be expanding to a 12 team playoff. Top guys that could even consider this, play on the top teams so much longer to officially be out of the Natty race.

I agree that will help but I think we'll eventually see guys in the playoffs quitting and making "business decisions" as Acho said. We'll see.

This whole conversation really saddens me. I know the genie left the bottle long ago and it is never going back in. I really hate seeing players sit out of bowl games, and I really hope it doesn't progress to the point of players sitting out parts of seasons. Sure, I understand why they do it, but that doesn't stop it from making me depressed. To me, football has always been the greatest of team sports. I think back to my playing days and remember the sense of family and unity that emerged from the sport. I would go through a wall for my teammates/coaches and felt like they would do the same for me. Being part of a football team was something special. Big business and the almighty dollar rule the roost now. The erosion is even infiltrating the high school level now.

Maybe I am just being nostalgic trying to hang on to what the game once was, but I certainly hope Williams plays out the season. I bet teammates like WRs Tahj Washington and Brenden Rice hope he plays it out. Their futures aren't as clearly mapped out as Williams', and Miller Moss probably isn't going to help them much.

I hear you. What most would say though is you're too old and grumpy and privileged and need to get with the program of empowering the athletes. I can see that case too.

I know this is something that would never happen but it would be very interesting to see empty stadiums and record low TV ratings for teams that are “out of the playoff race”. I mean if the games aren’t important enough for the athletes- why would it be important for the fans?

I think that's the big worry for those that care about College Football.

A person that cares only about College Football being the best it can be hates the idea of Williams sitting out the last 6 games.

A person that cares only about what is best for Caleb Williams sees that very differently.

Its a long time between now and draft day.
If other quarterbacks show themselves worthy of a high pick, its a risk for Caleb Williams
If other rival quarterbacks play like poop, then Williams will be seen as a safe number 1 pick.

Do you feel lucky, punk?

What I think will be interesting is if we get to a spot where Williams tells a half dozen teams he won't play for them and dictates his landing spot. Thinking John Elway / Eli Manning x 10. We'll see.

What I think will be interesting is if we get to a spot where Williams tells a half dozen teams he won't play for them and dictates his landing spot. Thinking John Elway / Eli Manning x 10. We'll see.

I think it's inevitable with the top NIL QBs. It's a good thing too. It will force these terrible franchises like the Bears to not set these QBs up for failure IMHO.

Colin Cowherd talks about how sports with drafts, particularly the NFL, is the only profession where you are punished for doing well in college...you get drafted to a terrible franchise. So many of these QBs get destroyed going to terrible franchises.

He’s already made it known he only wants to play for 5 teams and that’s it.

Cowboys, Raiders, Vikings, Giants and 49ers

Its very difficult for me to muster up any sympathy for the universities in this context. They make billions off these players, hold them to ridiculous standards, purport to control things like where they can go to school, how long they can play, prohibited from selling their own brand and image, punished/suspended for things like getting a pair of shoes from a booster while these coaches and ADs and commissioners are paid millions. Now we see what's going on with conferences like the Pac10 and schools like USC - their football team will play conference games in Maryland and New Jersey. It is so completely absurd what they get away with in a country that values the free market. And then to add insult to injury these kids can't even choose where they will play professionally but are told they have to accept the NFL rules on where they can play and how much they can earn. Williams has no obligation to play in the Give Me More Money bowl on December 22 against some mid-tier school that won 6 games with 200 people in the stands.

The silver lining in all these recent developments which some say are ruining college football is we may be one step closer to a real solution - complete divorce of big money sports from educational institutions.

I think that's the big worry for those that care about College Football.

A person that cares only about College Football being the best it can be hates the idea of Williams sitting out the last 6 games.

A person that cares only about what is best for Caleb Williams sees that very differently.

I really feel that College Football made its own bed and these are the completely natural and expected consequences. The old college football traditions of our youth were pushed aside for profits decades ago. An old proverb applies - "Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered." The NCAA could have been happy being mere pigs.

A lot of the fans are alumni who just want to go drink with their college buddies a few times every fall and then (at least in the Midwest) the bowl game is an excuse to fly off to somewhere warm and not have to spend time with your family over the holidays.

So much about college football doesn't make sense, but universities are really profitable brands.

A lot of the fans are alumni who just want to go drink with their college buddies a few times every fall and then (at least in the Midwest) the bowl game is an excuse to fly off to somewhere warm and not have to spend time with your family over the holidays.

So much about college football doesn't make sense, but universities are really profitable brands.
Sure plus for every angry old man that stops watching there’s 10,000 freshman coming in as potential fans.

He’s already made it known he only wants to play for 5 teams and that’s it.

Cowboys, Raiders, Vikings, Giants and 49ers
He definitely has not done this. The source for this is some misspelled Twitter account.

and the source on the ownership thing came from Florio, like oh hey maybe Caleb might ask for ownership? And thank for the clicks.

People are chasing eyeballs by ascribing controversial stances to this kid. These people are literally writing things they KNOW will make people think less of this kid. To get page views/followers.

Its very difficult for me to muster up any sympathy for the universities in this context. They make billions off these players, hold them to ridiculous standards, purport to control things like where they can go to school, how long they can play, prohibited from selling their own brand and image, punished/suspended for things like getting a pair of shoes from a booster while these coaches and ADs and commissioners are paid millions. Now we see what's going on with conferences like the Pac10 and schools like USC - their football team will play conference games in Maryland and New Jersey. It is so completely absurd what they get away with in a country that values the free market. And then to add insult to injury these kids can't even choose where they will play professionally but are told they have to accept the NFL rules on where they can play and how much they can earn. Williams has no obligation to play in the Give Me More Money bowl on December 22 against some mid-tier school that won 6 games with 200 people in the stands.

The silver lining in all these recent developments which some say are ruining college football is we may be one step closer to a real solution - complete divorce of big money sports from educational institutions.
Yes, I get it. It was the universities that caved to the tv deals. This was predicted 5 years ago. I'd still like to see the Southwest Conference. They have all the back door recruiting activities. My interest has moved from pro to college to high school.

Yes, I get it. It was the universities that caved to the tv deals. This was predicted 5 years ago. I'd still like to see the Southwest Conference. They have all the back door recruiting activities. My interest has moved from pro to college to high school.
Enjoy what little time you have left. That landscape is changing too.

Users who are viewing this thread