What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sports Teams Refusing To Play Games Out Of Protest ***Update: NBA Playoffs Look To Be Back On (1 Viewer)

Good for the players. Stand up for what you believe.  

It's going to happen in the NFL too.  
I support this much more than kneeling during the Anthem. They are actually willing to sacrifice their income for something they believe in. Good for them.

Yeah, I'm normally a big critic of "How can you get all worked up over X yet say nothing about this completely separate issue Y?"  That's a deflector that lazy people use to win arguments on the internet.  But in this case, it isn't that the NBA simply overlooked or deprioritized human rights in China.  The league actively took the side of the Chinese government and actively worked to silence people on the pro-human rights side.  To put it in BLM-adjacent terms, it would be as if the league had put out a statement praising George Zimmerman.  
I'm 100% in support of what the NBA players are doing right now but this is spot on in my opinion. If you're going to live by the credo that “Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." it doesn't just stop at your own borders. However, just because there is an element of hypocrisy here, doesn't diminish the overall message. In fact, it kind of runs oddly parallel to the right-wing side of current political argument, in a way. "America First" and all that, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 100% in support of what the NBA players are doing right now but this is spot on in my opinion. If you're going to live by the credo that “Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." it doesn't just stop at your own borders. However, just because there is an element of hypocrisy here, doesn't diminish the overall message. In fact, it kind of runs oddly parallel to the right-wing side of the argument, in a way. "America First" and all that, right?
Yeah, I agree that this is roughly comparable to the US supporting human rights worldwide except in Saudi Arabia (or pick your favorite example of choice).  If the response is going to be "Well, the world's a complicated place and sometimes we have to make compromises to advance the greater good," that's fine.  No objections to that on my end.

Yeah, I agree that this is roughly comparable to the US supporting human rights worldwide except in Saudi Arabia (or pick your favorite example of choice).  If the response is going to be "Well, the world's a complicated place and sometimes we have to make compromises to advance the greater good," that's fine.  No objections to that on my end.
Everyone has their "red line" -- It's all a question of if/when you choose to ignore it for various reasons. Financial, geopolitical, etc...

For me, it's genocide against any ethnic group. As a Jew, I can't sit there and say "never again" in good faith and then ignore ethnic cleansing in other countries regardless of who they are or what they believe. Uyghurs, Bosnian Muslims, Rohingya, Tutsis, etc...  They all deserved to be protected as if they were us.

The sad truth the NBA is in bed with an Anti-Social Justice country. So don`t expect any support from the teams or players. The only problem is that the NBA is actually tied in and does big business with China. China is not some random country that the NBA has no ties to.  They are business partners. Slogans on jerseys are OK..but let one player wear a "Free Hong Kong" jersey and see what happens.  Fans were kicked out of NBA arenas for wearing a "Free Hong Kong" t-shirt.  That's being woke?

Article from the Orlando Sentinel:

Amid all the preaching, would someone in the NBA please make a peep about a country that commits more human rights abuses every 5 minutes than the U.S. does in 10 years?  Don’t press your ears against the NBA’s bubble waiting for an answer.

The league officially declared it has no soul in October, when Houston general manager Daryl Morey sent one measly tweet supporting the democracy protests in Hong Kong.

The Chinese Communist Party started pulling NBA games off TV and merchandise off shelves. With its multibillion-dollar relationship threatened, the NBA quickly bowed in subservience and sent Morey to re-education camp.

Since then, the NBA has stayed mum as China ransacked all rights in Hong Kong, unleashed COVID-19 on the world and herded countless more Uighur Muslims onto trains bound for slave labor camps.

Muhammad Ali risked his career with his Vietnam War stance. Today’s jocks risk nothing, yet  Lebron James fancies himself Joan of Arc in sneakers.

He said Rep. John Lewis taught him to “never be afraid of conflict, good conflict, positive conflict that can create change.”

Never be afraid — unless Xi Jinping might cut off the NBAs shipments of Chinese greenbacks.

If James had the courage of his convictions, he’d demand Nike move its manufacturing plants from China to his hometown of Akron. Problem is, you just can’t find good slave labor in Ohio these days.

When asked to explain why its moral outrage ends at the USA borders, the NBA says it can’t involve itself in every  human rights abuse on the planet. But the entire NBA Basketball-Industrial Complex is eyeball deep in China.

The NBA established three training academies there, hoping to find and develop home-grown stars. Students were physically abused and not provided schooling, an ESPN investigation revealed last week.

“Imagine you have a kid who’s 13, 14 years old, and you’ve got a grown coach who is 40 years old hitting your kid,” an American coach told ESPN. “We’re part of that. The NBA is part of that abuse of children.”  This is not counting the sweat shops where Nike and other brands of shoes and apparel are made.

Try not to puke when you read the league’s reaction:

“I’m not an expert in every human rights situation or violation,” Deputy Commissioner Mark Tatum said. “I’ll tell you what the NBA stands for: The values of the NBA are about respect, are about inclusion, are about diversity. That is what we stand for.”

Tell that the Hong Kong dissidents or Uighurs or all those happy campers in NBA academies. If they could watch the NBA’s bubble games, they wouldn’t see slogans like “Speak Up” and “Liberation” on jerseys.   They’d see “Hypocrites” and “LeFraud.”

I don’t question the sincerity of players who want to make lives better. But there are a billion lives in China desperate for influential social justice warriors to speak up for them.

So tune in to the NBA’s Black Lives Matter festival. If players keep dribbling away in silence, you’ll know the only color they really care about is green.

dwhitley@orlandosentinel.com

David Whitley

Football teams including the Jets, Washington Football Team, and others are not practicing or scrimmaging today in protest per my Twitter feed. Ian Rappaport is reporting. 

It's going to happen in the NFL too.  
Kind of wondering how this plays out. If this were a typical season, the NFL players could vote to sit out a preseason game around this time ... and that would seem to be a safe way of expressing solidarity.

But with no preseason ... if NFL players and/or teams don't sit out/cancel/postpone a regular season game, is that a bad look for NFL players as a group? Or can they kind of point to Kaepernick and Malcom Jenkins, Eric Reid, and others and tell others "Look -- we've been way out ahead on this thing. So we have the moral standing not to have to sit out now."?

They're playing. Back on.
I'll look for an article ... but the whole thing is done? Just like that? MLB and NFL players have no say or no responsibility to respond in some way? NBA players hold the keys here?

Is it known yet how all this started with the Bucks? One player's brainchild, who then influenced teammates? Something organized from outside the team that later got players on board? Something else?

I'll look for an article ... but the whole thing is done. Just like that? MLB and NFL players have no say or no responsibility to respond in some way? NBA players hold the keys here?

Is it known yet how all this started with the Bucks? One player's brainchild, who then influenced teammates? Something organized from outside the team that later got players on board? Something else?
I think it impacted the Bucks more because it was more local to their community.

I'll look for an article ... but the whole thing is done. Just like that? MLB and NFL players have no say or no responsibility to respond in some way? NBA players hold the keys here?

It's all over Twitter. Per Schefter: https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1299013176856633344/photo/1

From what Ive been hearing on radio (Wilde and Tauscher's radio show on ESPN Wisconsin...also had Justin Garcia who does the Bucks pre and post game radio), it was mostly sparked by George Hill.  Hill spoke after the game the other day about feeling pretty sick about everything that has been going on.  Yesterday pregame they were meeting and kept meeting after deciding not to go out there.  For hours they were actually on the phone to the Wisconsin AG and trying to get in touch with lawmakers about the situation and things...Im sure as well as with their agents and union to understand the total consequences/repercussions of what they were doing.  But they all seemed to talk about it starting in a way with Hill.

I think it impacted the Bucks more because it was more local to their community.
Understood, but often these things have a singular impetus. I guess five guys could have stared at each other in the locker room after practice and asked "Are you all thinking what I'm thinking?" Seems more likely, though, that one player or one outside person with player access spoke first and got the ball rolling.

It's a matter of curiosity -- I'm not making a comment about the legitimacy of the boycott.

As for them playing again...I think they met for a while today to discuss.  The other talk today  on the radio was that players feel they have a bigger pulpit in a way if they keep playing vs. end the season and everyone forgets about them.  But games means more eyes on them and microphones and chances to speak out for change.  That was the gist some on the radio got as to why some players were not for just walking away completely.

I give the Bucks credit for yesterday...seemed like they were first willing to even take the L and forfeit if needed...Orlando then agreed with the stance and made it postponed vs. a forfeit.

It's all over Twitter. Per Schefter: https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1299013176856633344/photo/1
In retrospect ... it seems kind of odd, because it looks like the players pulled up on the reins before anyone in power made any kind of concession. But maybe something was done/said behind closed doors. Maybe a lot of back-channel action has been taking place since last night in the appropriate halls of power.

Or else ... maybe the NBA players just wanted to see how much power they could truly exercise? Not that the current cause is not a worthy application of that power ... just maybe that the players really weren't sure what the public (and I guess private) response would be, and this was a perfect time to see just what a boycott would render.

As for them playing again...I think they met for a while today to discuss.  The other talk today  on the radio was that players feel they have a bigger pulpit in a way if they keep playing vs. end the season and everyone forgets about them.  But games means more eyes on them and microphones and chances to speak out for change.  That was the gist some on the radio got as to why some players were not for just walking away completely.

I give the Bucks credit for yesterday...seemed like they were first willing to even take the L and forfeit if needed...Orlando then agreed with the stance and made it postponed vs. a forfeit.
So basically they popped in here to read the threads for advice and change their course of action based on thatSo basically they popped in here to read the threads for advice and change their course of action based on that

So basically they popped in here to read the threads for advice and change their course of action based on thatSo basically they popped in here to read the threads for advice and change their course of action based on that
Wow, so odd to copy / paste that only twiceWow, so odd to copy / paste that only twiceWow, so odd to copy / paste that only twiceWow, so odd to copy / paste that only twiceWow, so odd to copy / paste that only twiceWow, so odd to copy / paste that only twiceWow, so odd to copy / paste that only twiceWow, so odd to copy / paste that only twiceWow, so odd to copy / paste that only twiceWow, so odd to copy / paste that only twice

When you could have done it many, many more times. . . let's put some more effort into next time okay?  ;)

This is the wisest decision as their platform is amplified during the playoffs.  Take that away and they lose their influence.

If I had been in the room with them, I would have suggested making a list of achievable goals/demands and continue to play right up to the Finals.  If there is enough completed by then, play the Finals, if not, then cancel it.  That would have probably taken a lot longer to get ironed out, though.

yes. By use of force policy, it is considered justified. The officers already attempted to subdue Blake by non-lethal means (wrestling with him, tasering him), which failed. He had a knife and refused to drop it, which would consider him a deadly and immediate threat. I think it can be reasonably argued that the officer feared for his life as Blake, who had a knife, then reached into a car after disobeying verbal commands.
That's exactly the reason people are protesting.   

That's exactly the reason people are protesting.   
Is it? I thought people were protesting because the officer was clearly racist since Jacob Blake is black. Or because if Jacob Blake was white, it wouldn't have happened. Or that if you shoot someone in the back, it is automatically considered unjustified (which is false).

Many officers have been shot and/or killed while an offender's back is to them.

Many officers have been shot and/or killed while an offender is reaching into a vehicle or pocket. This doesn't mean anytime a subject does this that you are allowed to shoot, but every situation is different - this is called totality of the circumstances. In this particular instance, it is a justified shoot.

As an officer, are you now supposed to just wait until you are shot or stabbed before you can fire? De-escalation was used. Less than lethal was used. Time was given. Verbal commands were given. 

Bruce Arians -

“Your responsibility is to take action,” Arians said, via the Tampa Bay Times. “I don’t know that protest is an action. I think each guy has a personal thing. I would beg them to take action, find a cause and either support it financially or do something to change the situation, because protesting doesn’t do crap in my opinion. I’ve been seeing it since 1968.”

nbcsports

Bruce Arians -

“Your responsibility is to take action,” Arians said, via the Tampa Bay Times. “I don’t know that protest is an action. I think each guy has a personal thing. I would beg them to take action, find a cause and either support it financially or do something to change the situation, because protesting doesn’t do crap in my opinion. I’ve been seeing it since 1968.”

nbcsports
Id say he is wrong in claiming protesting doesn't cause change...it has largely been protest that has made changes happen in the history of this country...it starts the conversations.

Id say he is wrong in claiming protesting doesn't cause change...it has largely been protest that has made changes happen in the history of this country...it starts the conversations.
I'd agree that's true. I think Arians, much as I love his plain-spoken, direct style, is wrong. But he's wrong in a Won't Get Fooled Again way, not in an ignorant one. He's jaded.

Is it? I thought people were protesting because the officer was clearly racist since Jacob Blake is black. Or because if Jacob Blake was white, it wouldn't have happened. Or that if you shoot someone in the back, it is automatically considered unjustified (which is false).

b]Many officers have been shot and/or killed while an offender's back is to them.[/b]

Many officers have been shot and/or killed while an offender is reaching into a vehicle or pocket. This doesn't mean anytime a subject does this that you are allowed to shoot, but every situation is different - this is called totality of the circumstances. In this particular instance, it is a justified shoot.

As an officer, are you now supposed to just wait until you are shot or stabbed before you can fire? De-escalation was used. Less than lethal was used. Time was given. Verbal commands were given. 
Can you cite a single instance where an officer was shot by an offender while the offender's back was to them?

Can you cite a single instance where an officer was shot by an offender while the offender's back was to them?
Eddie Johnson, former CPD superintendent. Graze wound to the head. Just off the top of my head (no pun intended). Happened when he was a detective sergeant.

edit: There are multiple instances of officers being shot at while an offender's back is to them. This just happened with CPD and the 20-year old in Englewood a few weeks ago. While running through an alley, his back was to the officers and fired shots towards them. Offenders with a gun who are running can do this multiple ways (assuming the offender is right-handed): 1) extend right arm backwards towards officers, opening up the shoulder. 2) reach around stomach/torso (gun is near left side of body/lat), 3) up over their head, either near the left shoulder or above the head (if above the head, gun would be upside down). 

Tigers and Twins decided to protest and not play tonight.

Will play a doubleheader tomorrow. 

That'll show em..
The Rays and Orioles decided to play, from all accounts took the field and I think pitchers warmed, now walked off.  This was after the teams stating they'd play.  Something obviously changed where someone told them not to.  Not sure what's up.  But these games from yesterday are all being made up with doubleheaders today so I'm not sure what the purpose is.

There's at least a couple things I find silly about this article/tag line in Jamele Hill's article:

NBA Players Put America on Notice

They want to protect Black lives, and threatening an industry’s money and the public’s entertainment was the only option left.

"Whoa, whoa, WHOA! Nobody told me this was going to escalate to NO BASKETBALL!! Where's the Governor's phone number?"

There's at least a couple things I find silly about this article/tag line in Jamele Hill's article:

They want to protect Black lives, and threatening an industry’s money and the public’s entertainment was the only option left.

"Whoa, whoa, WHOA! Nobody told me this was going to escalate to NO BASKETBALL!! Where's the Governor's phone number?"
Only someone without an iota of self-awareness and a set of out-of-whack priorities (not to mention out of touch with the general public) would write that. What a dip####.

Shula-holic said:
The Rays and Orioles decided to play, from all accounts took the field and I think pitchers warmed, now walked off.  This was after the teams stating they'd play.  Something obviously changed where someone told them not to.  Not sure what's up.  But these games from yesterday are all being made up with doubleheaders today so I'm not sure what the purpose is.
To get us talking about it like we are. 

To get us talking about it like we are. 
OK, but if the players voted to play then is it really a player protest if they are told, you aren't going to play?  

But at the end of the day if they make the games up, not sure it matters either way.

Does anyone actually have police shooting stats when it comes to unarmed white people vs unarmed black people? I hear people keep saying that if Blake was white, he likely wouldn't have been shot. My gut tells me that stats will say this is not the case, but I don't know for sure.

lol, shes a fool.  I can't believe...they resorted...to the only option of not playing a game for a night!!!!!   That'll teach them public people!

On a more serious note.  I actually respect the players not playing as a form of protest...much more than Kaepernicks approach.  The question is, and I'm not sure they thought this through...is how to not look silly in the end.  So are the games being made up in the near future?  Is this the travesty that Jamele Hill believes is going to hurt average people and garner support?  Ending the season...thats impactful.

Users who are viewing this thread