What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

starting randall cobb over.... (1 Viewer)

You described the scoring systems KR yards as minimal with bonuses. How many KR yards = 1 pt in that system?
0.2 points per yard receiving or on punt returns6 points per TD0.1 point per yard on kickoff returns-2 points per kickoff return attempt. A 20 yard kickoff return = 0 points. A 40 yard return = 2 points, or the same as a 10 yard reception / punt return. A 100 yard kickoff return is as valuable as a 40 yard reception. Take the return, subtract 20, and divide by 2, and that's the receiving yard equivalent. Average 30 per return, and each return is like an extra 5 receiving yards.
Interesting.My league does 1 pt per 10 receiving/punting yards and 1 pt per 25 kick return yards, no bonuses. 1 PPR and 6pt all tds.Having a hard time telling if Cobb is more valuable in your league or mine lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's either Donald Brown or Cobb in my flex. Not going to roll with Kevin Smith vs. Frisco, so might as well go with the PPR upside of Cobb.Brown could surprise with a big game at home though...
I also am considering between Donald Brown and Cobb in ppr flex. I guess part of it is whether or not you want a sure 10 points (Brown) or need a big pay day (Cobb). I think Cobb is riskier because I won't be surprised if he catches 1/5 yards OR 8/160 yards. I am pretty sure the Donald will have 50-70 yards rushing, 50/50 chance of 1 TD, and perhaps 2 receptions for 20-30 yards.

so tempted to start him over decker (vs. atl) or b. lloyd (vs. ari), but not sure if I can pull the trigger. thoughts?
I'm rollin w/ cobb and decker, but if garcon is healthy i'm sitting decker.
Jennings not playing makes Cobb a better play but Jones a better play than Cobb.
Not so sure about that, but it will be interesting to see how the targets shake out. My thought is if you have either one of em, play em this week. Would I play Cobb over VJax? Uh..no! Not over A.Brown either, NYJ secondary does not scare me minus revis, but he front 7 could still put Ben in quick release mode. Sounds much like Rodgers-Cobb last week eh?

You described the scoring systems KR yards as minimal with bonuses. How many KR yards = 1 pt in that system?
0.2 points per yard receiving or on punt returns6 points per TD0.1 point per yard on kickoff returns-2 points per kickoff return attempt. A 20 yard kickoff return = 0 points. A 40 yard return = 2 points, or the same as a 10 yard reception / punt return. A 100 yard kickoff return is as valuable as a 40 yard reception. Take the return, subtract 20, and divide by 2, and that's the receiving yard equivalent. Average 30 per return, and each return is like an extra 5 receiving yards.
Interesting.My league does 1 pt per 10 receiving/punting yards and 1 pt per 25 kick return yards, no bonuses. 1 PPR and 6pt all tds.Having a hard time telling if Cobb is more valuable in your league or mine lol.
Your league is more generous to kick returners. You need a 25 yard return to equal a 10 yard reception. I need a 40 yard return. You need a 50 yard return to equal a 20 yard reception, while I'd need a 60 yard return. A player would need to average a whopping 100+ yards per return before my scoring system started rewarding them more relative to receiving yards. On the other hand, my league is yardage heavy. 30 receiving yards in my league equal 1 TD, while in most leagues it's 60 yards per TD. This tips the scales in favor of a low-TD guy like Cobbs over traditionally high-TD guys like Fitz and Austin. Still, on the whole, I suspect Cobb the extra boost to kick returns in your league outweighs the yardage-heavy nature of my league, leaving Cobb just slightly more valuable to you than to me.

so tempted to start him over decker (vs. atl) or b. lloyd (vs. ari), but not sure if I can pull the trigger. thoughts?
I'm rollin w/ cobb and decker, but if garcon is healthy i'm sitting decker.
Jennings not playing makes Cobb a better play but Jones a better play than Cobb.
Not so sure about that, but it will be interesting to see how the targets shake out. My thought is if you have either one of em, play em this week. Would I play Cobb over VJax? Uh..no! Not over A.Brown either, NYJ secondary does not scare me minus revis, but he front 7 could still put Ben in quick release mode. Sounds much like Rodgers-Cobb last week eh?
the scoring in my league and jennings injury make me feel pretty confident that Cobb outscores vjax this week

'johnadams said:
He's my number 4/5 WR behind Welker, Wayne, and Demaryus about even with Lance Moore. I'm considering benching Welker in favor of him though. Kinda crazy, but I don't like what I'm hearing from NE concerning why Welker wasn't more involved.
BB said he wasnt as involved as normal because they had a team specific gameplan for tennessee. Take that how you will.
And when has Welker not been a big part of the game plan? I'll probably still roll Welker out there, but I tend to prefer guys who were a big part of the game plan in week 1. Welker has been money for me in the past and I probably won't do it, but Cobb is a very intriguing option.

Started Cobb last week in my 16-team return yardage league (25 return yards/point) over the likes of Devery Henderson and Rod Streater.

This week, I'm starting him again... this time ahead of "Kenny Britt on a snap count". Still not much on the waiver wire... just Andre Roberts and some flyers.

Starting Cobb this week at flex in another return yardage league (12 teams, 30 return yards/point, bonuses for 100 yards receiving) over Kevin Smith against the "we crippled Jahvid Best" 49ers D/ST, Pierre Thomas, Kenny Britt (again) and Kendall Hunter. James Jones is still on the waiver wire in this league but I'm thinking I may still roll with Cobb even if Jennings sits this one out.

Starting Cobb over Michael Bush in A TD- heavy league that awards 2 bonus pts for every 5 catches and 50 yds rushing or receiving.

Driver played merely the last 3 plays last week. Looks like Donald is not the backup-extra possession receiver.

Starting him over Jennings or VJax unless I start Pitta.

I'm going Cobb over Deangelo in the Flex. Its risky but with all those looks in the backfield for Cobb, I'm hoping that was just McCarthy setting up to use him like Harvin. I do think Deangelo bounces back with a decent game this week but Cobb might have a huge one.

Starting Cobb over Nicks in one of my leagues; though I should note, I get .1 for returns (10 yards punt; 25 yards kickoff). Other starting WR's are Harvin and A. Brown. Just giving Nicks a little more time to get healthy...and hoping Cobb can be a productive WR2 this week.

I'm going Cobb over Deangelo in the Flex. Its risky but with all those looks in the backfield for Cobb, I'm hoping that was just McCarthy setting up to use him like Harvin. I do think Deangelo bounces back with a decent game this week but Cobb might have a huge one.
Maybe Deangelo bounces back, but it's awful hard to say sitting him for anyone is risky.

Two more data points: sitting Cobb for Harvin, Steve Johnson, and Doug Martin in one league. Sitting him for Harvin, Steve Johnson, and Jordy Nelson in another. Neither rewards return yardage.

starting him as my WR3 for sure tonight now that Maclin still hasnt practiced. Also over Lance Moore.

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel confirms the Packers plan to utilize WR/KR Randall Cobb as an "omnipresent mismatch" on offense.After playing in the backfield just twice all of last season, Cobb lined up there 20 times in the opener in addition to 15 snaps at receiver. "That package provides some matchup problems," Cobb said. "We don't know if any team is going to have an answer for it." The Packers are using Cobb more like Darren Sproles than Percy Harvin. His impressive run-after-catch ability will become even more evident when he doesn't have to face the 49ers' fast-closing linebackers and safeties. We are starting him with confidence as a WR3 option this week.

Two more data points: sitting Cobb for Harvin, Steve Johnson, and Doug Martin in one league. Sitting him for Harvin, Steve Johnson, and Jordy Nelson in another. Neither rewards return yardage.
:shock: Edit: disregard my shock smiley. Totally misread your post. Thought your wrote "starting" instead of "sitting." Doh.

:shock: Edit: disregard my shock smiley. Totally misread your post. Thought your wrote "starting" instead of "sitting." Doh.
Starting him in a ppr flex (no return yardage, but return TDs count) ahead of David Wilson, McCluster, Blackmon, Streater, McCluster and Chandler. Him vs. Blackmon would be a tough call if Blackmon wasn't going up against Houston.

I am debating starting Randall Cobb over Trent Richardson as my flex in a league that awards 1 pt for every 35 return yards. Although I generally feel more comfortable using a RB rather than a WR in flex.

Started him last week. People thought I was nuts. 1 pt PPR & PR TD's count for 6. Definitely starting him this week

Thinking about starting him now incase D-Jax is slowed by his hammy. Too bad this game is early and I will have to make the call before we have all the info on D-Jax.

Currently benching Cobb for Decker in a league w/no pts for return yardage. May make a last minute change though.

If Jennings sits tonight, I’m starting Cobb over a gimpy Maclin who hasn’t practiced this week and is questionable for Sunday. I could wait until Sunday and then plug in Maclin if he plays, or throw in Torrey Smith if Maclin sits, but I just have a hunch that Cobb will be $$$ tonight if Jennings sits (of course James Jones will start, but Cobb will have more opps, and the 3rd down looks as well).

I'm starting him over DeSean Jackson. I may regret it, but I'm playing a traditionally tough team so it's go big or go home.

In two standard PPR leagues I am starting him over in league one Garcon, DeSean Jackson, and Lance Moore. Some of those are hurt adn I have to make a choice now. One of those three may start over Steve Smith if he is hurt. Other league over Rice, Manningham, and Garcon again.

I'm starting Cobb over Jennings. Even if Greg plays he's likely not going to be full-go. I wanted a reason to start Cobb anyway, because I see them game-planning similar to the 49ers game (a lot of dink and dunking). I could easily see another 7 catch 80 yard type stat line. Unlikely he'll get a TD, though.
Cobb is a massive problem for a cover 2 defense... Which is what Chicago runs. He's going to have room over the middle to operate out of. I fully expect monster games from Cobb/Finley doing damage in space tonight.

Benching

Austin

Bradshaw

Streator

Hill

Starting cobb at flex in my ppr/ko/pr ret yard league

Wr already starting roddy and percy

Rb already startin alfred morris and ridley

'pollardsvision said:
Maybe Deangelo bounces back, but it's awful hard to say sitting him for anyone is risky.
A WR over a RB in a non PPR league is fairly risky. New Orleans showed how good they were at stopping anything with Morris and RG3. So imagine what Cam and co are going to do. I just like Cobb's potential tonight a little better.

'hwjchim said:
Benching AustinBradshawStreator HillStarting cobb at flex in my ppr/ko/pr ret yard leagueWr already starting roddy and percyRb already startin alfred morris and ridley
Not to nitpick, but I'd be starting Bradshaw over Morris. Just me.

Users who are viewing this thread