What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Steven Ridley vs 49ers (1 Viewer)

simmonjm

Footballguy
I realize this is a crazy question considering the amount of consistency he has shown over the course of the season but I think it might be smart to bench him. What are your expectations for Ridley this week? I am strongly considering Kenny Britt over him.

My initial reaction was that you should trust me - few RB's have done more with less than Ridley this year. But benching him for Britt seems fine to me, more than fine in a PPR.

REGARDS,

THE FANTASY KING

For the record im expecting something like 13 carries for 39 yards and 2 receptions for 8 yards for Ridley

Love Ridley but he was damn lucky to get that late TD and save the week. That was a gift, thanks to Kubiak laying down like a female dog.

And this week looks worse to me. If we can only make it to Jax next week...yet this week's matchup may prevent as much.

It's a bad matchup, so I don't think trust is the right word. But Ridley's probably going to get ~20 touches and at least one near the goalline.

I'm debating between him, Gore, and the Lawfirm, if it helps. I think they're all fairly similar (especially Gore and Ridley insofar as they're the center of the rushing attack in a tough matchup), but I'm leaning towards Gore.

This sucks. Two bad matchups in a row, in the playoffs. I sat him against Houston, most likely sit him this week too. :angry:

Although my only other option is Murray who doesn't have a great matchup either. Maybe I'll just flip a coin.

Unless you have someone with a much better matchup I am starting him, San Fran is a good defense but not as good as they were last year. Bradshaw had over 100 against them, I believe Lynch did too. The Rams as a team have averaged 122 yards per game against them this year.

They are average at best vs the run the last five games...unless you have a much better option, roll with Rid!!

my other conceivable option is marcel reece, who would be a no-brainer start if this were a few weeks ago. i think i'll have to stick with The Riddler.

I'm stuck debating him or Reggie Bush. Its a tough call, but leaning Bush as of now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rode him this long. Why stop now? SF will focus on stopping Brady and the pass attack. Keying on the run will not be a priority. Ridley should get some decent stats. Plus it seems he's the preferred goaline option at running back for BB. I'm sticking with him.

My only other option is Bilal Powell.....

Starting Ridley, better team, better talent, better situation. No reason to get cute with the line up this late in the season.

I'm very nervous starting him this week. He loses touches to Woodhead, Vareen and now Bolden is back.

He's proven himself no doubt, but I don't trust Bellichek.

The TD's have been saving him a lot of weeks. It's not that he's not good, it's just that the backfield is so unpredictable. I think he puts up 50-60 yards this week and a coin flip on a TD. The problem is predicting the coin flip.

I'm very nervous starting him this week. He loses touches to Woodhead, Vareen and now Bolden is back. He's proven himself no doubt, but I don't trust Bellichek.
:confused: He's 7th in the league in total carries and is averaging 18.6 carries per game. I'm not sure why everyone believes he loses touches every week, they give him a breather on some series sure, but he's the main back and gets the bulk of the carries. Other than Foster, he's no different than most of the other backs in the league.

This is one match up I'm staying away from. In a PPR league especially, he catches zero balls per week. If he doesn't get into the end zone he is pedestrian. If you watched what New England did against Houston, they barely used Ridley during their scoring barrage in the first 3 quarters. It was mostly Vereen and Woodhead....running routes and such. Ridley was used when they were running down the clock. I can see them using him the same way this week. They are going to throw and throw some more....and when that happens Ridley really isn't in the game plan. If you think they are going to blow the 49ers out I guess he's an ok play, I'm just not feeling it.

This is one match up I'm staying away from. In a PPR league especially, he catches zero balls per week. If he doesn't get into the end zone he is pedestrian. If you watched what New England did against Houston, they barely used Ridley during their scoring barrage in the first 3 quarters. It was mostly Vereen and Woodhead....running routes and such. Ridley was used when they were running down the clock. I can see them using him the same way this week. They are going to throw and throw some more....and when that happens Ridley really isn't in the game plan. If you think they are going to blow the 49ers out I guess he's an ok play, I'm just not feeling it.
I agree. There have been times when he disappears for several series. He'll get carries late to wind down the clock and get his typical 16-18 carries only if the Pats are up a lot.However, to your point, they will not blow out SF. They will not be winding down the clock. They will be fighting to win and that means he gets less carries IMO. His main issue is he's not a great pass catching back. He gets pulled for Vareen or Woodhead in those situations. He's been getting around 4 ypc and I suspect it will be less versus the stout SF defense. I see him getting 15-18 carries for 60-75 yds. I think this is the week the streak of tds ends. That puts him at 6-7 points in my league scoring, not what I need in my playoffs.

I'm not expecting a whole lot of yards from Ridley but I think he has a decent shot at a TD.

Overall not a safe start imo even though I think the Pats are gonna roll the Niners. The Niners are just too strong against the ground game and the Pats have no problem at all throwing the ball from the 1.

I agree. There have been times when he disappears for several series. He'll get carries late to wind down the clock and get his typical 16-18 carries only if the Pats are up a lot.However, to your point, they will not blow out SF. They will not be winding down the clock. They will be fighting to win and that means he gets less carries IMO. His main issue is he's not a great pass catching back. He gets pulled for Vareen or Woodhead in those situations. He's been getting around 4 ypc and I suspect it will be less versus the stout SF defense. I see him getting 15-18 carries for 60-75 yds. I think this is the week the streak of tds ends. That puts him at 6-7 points in my league scoring, not what I need in my playoffs.
Yeah just like they weren't gonna blow Houston out either.. :)There's no way of knowing whether they will blow SF out or not. For all we know it could be a repeat of last week and they go to Ridley more. I was thinking about starting Moreno over him, but I'm not benching a top 10 RB in the playoffs, regardless of his matchup.

I generally side with the adage of "roll with the guys that got you there." BUT, the matchup, potential gameplan shift, etc. does make me nervous.

The only reason I'm considering benching Ridley is because I have Leshoure as the other option, and the Cardinals just gave up 100+ yards to two separate Seattle backs. I worry about Bell there, but just think the Cardinals are utterly terrible, and the Lions will be running the ball with zero need to throw up 20+ points.

Still torn though... would welcome other opinions. It's a .5 PPR, not that Leshoure catches any passes.

They are average at best vs the run the last five games...unless you have a much better option, roll with Rid!!
LOL!!!You just made that crap up, why? To feel better about starting him?SF against the run last 4 weeks gave up a total of 85-59-85-94 thats total rushing yards. Thats average at best?

Look I think Ridley is a much higher risk this week. SF's tough run defense and Bellichek's game planning to utilize whomever can beat a team i.e. WR's/TE's and pass catching RB's(not Ridley).

Houston defense got slammed by NE early and Ridley got his late in the game when they were up big.

I personally don't think SF gets surprised by NE. I think this is a tough hard fought till the end game with NE winning late on a FG. No clock running out plays by Ridley late for extra yards.

My alternatives are Wilson NYG's and Green of GB. I'm starting Rice in a tough matchup and hoping Bradshaw sits this week so I can play Wilson over Ridley. We'll see. :popcorn:

Look I think Ridley is a much higher risk this week. SF's tough run defense and Bellichek's game planning to utilize whomever can beat a team i.e. WR's/TE's and pass catching RB's(not Ridley). Houston defense got slammed by NE early and Ridley got his late in the game when they were up big. I personally don't think SF gets surprised by NE. I think this is a tough hard fought till the end game with NE winning late on a FG. No clock running out plays by Ridley late for extra yards. My alternatives are Wilson NYG's and Green of GB. I'm starting Rice in a tough matchup and hoping Bradshaw sits this week so I can play Wilson over Ridley. We'll see. :popcorn:
With reports of Bradshaw possibly not even making the trip to Atlanta...I think that decision becomes easy for you.

Started Ballard over the Ridler last week and I might do it again this week. Might.

Users who are viewing this thread