What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Strange Landing Spots for RBs. (How concerned are you?) (1 Viewer)

Hue Jackson as OC means more carries as a whole.Hill takes bjge's spot.look for Gio to get 250 carries, like DMAC in '10 in Oak..I see it as more of Dmac and M. Bush..Hill is Bush..a non-threat to Gio..

Sims pick was idiotic. Made no sense with the stockpile of rbs there. With what was left on thw board sims was like the 200th best option. Not sure what the Bucs thought process is there.
Completely disagree.

Sims is a good 3rd down back. Maybe not the primary need but far from idiotic

Sims pick was idiotic. Made no sense with the stockpile of rbs there. With what was left on thw board sims was like the 200th best option. Not sure what the Bucs thought process is there.
They are re-creating Chicago. Sims is a Forte style runner. Very easy to see why they made this pick.

Thoughts on the RBs;

Hyde - Not surprised at all. Gore is ancient and Lattimore ever fully recovering and making a significant impact was a long shot. SF was reported to be active in the RB FA market and they likely drafted a guy better than anyone they could have landed there, minus Johnson for a season. Hyde looks like the future of the SF running game to me.

Mason - Again, not surprised. Stacy is what he his, a guy who is good enough to get the job done but unspectacular. I had very high concerns that St. L would upgrade the position in this draft. This could be an ugly situation for fantasy, though. Mason isn't strong enough in pass protection to warrant much more than a COP role early.

Sankey - Top RB meets top situation. He probably vaults into the #1 overall for dynasty conversation.

Hill - Not surprised. I've said for a while now that I don't see Gio as an every down RB and he was immensely overrated. Hill will push BJGE out of the way and assume that role keeping this a RBBC.

Archer - don't really see this as anything more than a gadget/COP player. Will have ST impact and minimal impact on the actual running game in Pitt. Pew could see him moved to a slot WR.

McKinnon - I'm not super high on him but he seems like the clear backup to AP. Not sure he will ever be more than that. Also offers great ST potential. It's been rumored he can also play S or CB. Not sure I see that happening though.

West - Browns needed a RB as the position was bare after Tate, who has a long injury history. Comes in as a backup but could look good if Tate goes down.

Sims - Not surprised to see TB take a RB. They don't have much behind Martin. I don't think this is going to hurt Martin a great deal. He's still the best talent there. West could vulture some 3rd down opps but nothing significant IMO.
Why would Sankey be in a better situation than Hyde? For this year, maybe it's true. The OL in Tennessee looks formidable but I just don't see the QB and WR positions being strong enough to stop opposing teams from stacking the box against them. SF, on the other hand, is strong in all phases of offense.

Hyde has a lot more talent to compete with I think. That's one reason Sankey's spot might be better. Hyde needs to beat out some pretty solid talent just to get on the field. If he does he will probably excel (just by virtue of having beat out Hunter, Gore, and Lattimore). Hyde has a lower floor and a similar ceiling.

I don't see much chance that Sankey doesn't get starts this season. He'll get his chance. If he flops, he might still keep the job because well...Shonn Greene isn't very good. His ceiling is as high as Hyde's though I think. They obviously liked him more than Hyde and were willing to put their chip down on that thought. If Sankey is the most talented back in this draft, as they think, he will put up good numbers. I think he's got the potential for a Lacy type season.

Hyde: Low Floor, High Ceiling

Sankey: Medium Floor, High Ceiling

Edge - Sankey easily for me. But that said, the gap isn't huge. I think they both end up starters and closer to their ceilings than floors. I like both players a lot but I think Sankey has a pretty clear edge. Not a coin flip.

Hyde has a lot more talent to compete with I think. That's one reason Sankey's spot might be better. Hyde needs to beat out some pretty solid talent just to get on the field. If he does he will probably excel (just by virtue of having beat out Hunter, Gore, and Lattimore). Hyde has a lower floor and a similar ceiling.

I don't see much chance that Sankey doesn't get starts this season. He'll get his chance. If he flops, he might still keep the job because well...Shonn Greene isn't very good. His ceiling is as high as Hyde's though I think. They obviously liked him more than Hyde and were willing to put their chip down on that thought. If Sankey is the most talented back in this draft, as they think, he will put up good numbers. I think he's got the potential for a Lacy type season.

Hyde: Low Floor, High Ceiling

Sankey: Medium Floor, High Ceiling

Edge - Sankey easily for me. But that said, the gap isn't huge. I think they both end up starters and closer to their ceilings than floors. I like both players a lot but I think Sankey has a pretty clear edge. Not a coin flip.
This is where I stand on it as well. Sankey has less comp for the touches, at least right now. That could change in a year or 2. Then again so could a lot of the reasons people think SF is a better spot.

Agreed. You have to look short term because teams turn around so quickly nowadays. Some teams get way better and others way worse every season.

Yep, but temper Sankey with the possibility that TEN may continue to use Greene at the GL
Very true. But that is a concern with Frank Gore too I think. Both have a lot of variables. This isn't an Eddie Lacy or Leveon Bell situation where they are walking into a RB1 spot.

I think it's an indicator that we are looking in the wrong direction for ff RB value. Instead, we should be looking at the places where the picture is staying clear and RBs have clear value as the guy.

Arian Foster

Ryan Matthews

Trent Richardson (by definition)

Ben Tate

Rashad Jennings

Demarco Murray

Matt forte

These are the guys that are winning this draft and helping their owners increase value. Meanwhile, all these guys who just spent picks (and some of them high) on gio, Stacy, Martin, etc, might be sitting with some problems. Even if those same teams have more high picks this year, it's just as bad for the wrs.

This is kinda ugly. Can change tomorrow, but ugly tonight
Fixed
I don't think so. Terrance West was taken as depth/backup. Tate's backups were Dion Lewis and Fozzy Whittaker.
The same Tate who couldn't stay healthy, didn't flash special skills (for the most part), and who couldn't sniff much demand on the free agency market? That Tate?

Please forgive me, but I think that West is a bigger threat to Tate's touches then we think. I will accept that in his rookie year that there could be a bit of an adjustment period; however, it wouldn't surprise me to see West as the lead back in this RBBC situation by the start of next year.
RT @evansilva: Ben Tate's two-year, $6.2M deal has no guaranteed money in 2015. Short-term fix. T-West should get every opportunity to unseat him quicklyTate may not even be in Cleveland next year. West direct handcuff and potential 2015 starter
excellent post -

however the looming Gordon suspension hurts that offense a lot.

I think that Sims is a better handcuff over West. TB has a two decent QBs IMO and three legitimate pass catchers.

As a Bell owner Archer worries me a little. Bell's value/consistency comes from those 4 receptions a game. If Archer cuts into that significantly it's going to hurt Bell's value.
Bell is better than Archer, is bigger and has better hands. People will panic over this, nothing new for FBG. I forget teams are not supposed to draft depth in the draft, their other RBs were Alvester Alexander and Tauren Poole. Seriously guys, the fact this needs to be explained to those worried is what should really worry you, not Archer.

Hill to Cincy is a little odd. Says they don't see Gio as their Ray Rice or Shady McCoy, but also makes sense because BJGE was just pitiful last season. They needed to upgrade that spot. Really restricts Hill's upside for the foreseeable future though.
Not that AP and Gio are comparable, but the Vikings drafted Gerhart in the 2nd. I still think Gio is the main RB but they don't want him carrying the ball 20 times a game plus receiving. Nothing wrong with that as an owner since he'll be a RB1 getting 12-15 carries a game and 4 receptions.
sounds more like settling to me.

Gio was never going to be a 350+ touch RB. I always viewed him as a 250 touch max type of back and in PPR that'd be enough for him to be a nice weekly starter. Finished 12th and 13th in all my leagues last year with <250. Hill hurts BJGE, not Gio.
It's silly to just say that Gio's role remains the same because he probably wasn't going to be a feature guy anyway. A big part of Gio's value was that chance that maybe he would end up as a feature back and be the next McCoy/Charles instead of the next Spiller/Sproles.

Some of the biggest fantasy monsters at RB in the last 5 years (McCoy, Charles, CJ2K, etc) were smaller electric guys that people assumed would probably be part-time backs but had a chance to explode if they become a feature back. Eliminating or at least significantly reducing that probability significantly impacts Gio's value. He wasn't a top 3-5 guy in dynasty RB rankings because he's a good high-end RB2 on limited touches. He was there because he was a good high-end RB2 on limited touches that could be a monster RB1 if those touches were significantly increased.
I do agree that Hill being drafted this early (and considering that I expect him to be a solid player) is a barrier to Gio ascending to McCoy/Charles status if that's what people had in mind for him. Where I see/saw Gio's value was as someone who, in ppr formats, would retain relatively stable value in the top 10 most years because of all-purpose touches even if he remained in a committee situation. I think he's a top talent as well who will continue to demand those touches. Last season he finished 13th overall with 170 carries for 695 yards and 56 catches for 514. To me the thing to keep an eye on is the catches, as I expect he can match/exceed those carries/yards going forward even in a RBBC situation. If the Bengals have it mind to work Hill in on alternating series and allow him to eat into 3rd down touches and Bernard's reception totals then I'll worry/become more depressed. As for the possibility that he ascends to McCoy/Charles status, it took several seasons for either of those guys to get to that status themselves, and many of the same things were said about them that we could say about Gio now (too small to be the focus of the running game, coaches don't trust them to hold up, and so on). There's no telling right now. I have Gio and I'm pretty disappointed in the Hill pick to be sure. My hope is that he can get some more carries as compared to last season and at least maintain receptions in the same range to be a top 10 guy. Beyond that, who knows what will happen. This is life for RBs in dynasty now.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is why pre-combine rankings need to be taken with a grain of salt. And why trading for college RBs prior to the NFL draft is a risky proposition. All that said, I think this speaks to the fact that these players - sadly - are headed mostly for backup roles at least to start.

Sankey now is the sure-fire first RB off the board in every fantasy draft. And maybe #1 overall rookie pick ahead of Watkins if a team needs a RB.

UNLESS... today Seastrunk, Williams or Crowell goes to good spots. Then it can all change again. :)

I totally forgot about NYG as a viable landing spot for a RB. I really like it, as an. Andre Williams owner in one league.

The devaluing of RB position is making salary cap leagues very difficult. Some of the RB's signed to large contracts 3-4 years ago, are now in RBBC's. It's like the housing bubble of 2008 for fantasy RB's

Andre Williams Isiah Crowell goes #3 to the Falcons tomorrow and he'll be shooting past all these guys...
Fixed
Crowell and Seastrunk, 2 most overhyped players by the SP this offseason.
I don't know about Crowell. By all reports I read he was expected to be a 6th-7th round pick if he got drafted at all and it's not due to talent.

Seastrunk is puzzling. I'm guessing there is something we don't know in terms of his medical or possible failed drug test.

As a Gio owner, I'm pretty devastated. All signs/coach comments pointed to him taking a major step forward this year with a lot more touches. Can't see that happening now.

Every RB so far other than Sankey (and maybe Hyde if you're willing to wait) has basically become a fantasy non-starter. COP or handcuff at best for right now, with the potential to eventually beat out the incumbent (Mason vs. Stacy, West vs. Tate).

I'm telling you guys, Andre Williams is our next bet at a fantasy relevant rookie RB. Falcon at 4.03 tomorrow could make it happen.

Maybe Freeman as well.
We kind of knew this going in though. There just weren't that many openings available, unlike last season.
Many thought Atl, Den and Mia would add RBs and those were viewed as good spots. Didn't pan out, at least not yet.
Denver? They have a young RB that they love who's at worst an equal talent to almost any back in this class.

Miami? Maybe, but Moreno should start this year and I think he's a better back that he gets credit for - I guess longer term it wouldn't be a bad spot.

Atlanta - figured it would get filled today - love Freeman there.

As a Bell owner Archer worries me a little. Bell's value/consistency comes from those 4 receptions a game. If Archer cuts into that significantly it's going to hurt Bell's value.
Bell is better than Archer, is bigger and has better hands. People will panic over this, nothing new for FBG. I forget teams are not supposed to draft depth in the draft, their other RBs were Alvester Alexander and Tauren Poole. Seriously guys, the fact this needs to be explained to those worried is what should really worry you, not Archer.
Bell owner here. Love the Archer pick. He is no threat.

lod01 said:
False Start said:
Milkman said:
Bell owner here. Love the Archer pick. He is no threat.
I agree. IF Archer is any good, and IF he finds a role, it will be as a compliment to Bell. Nobody carries or catches 100% of his team's touches.

zamboni said:
As a Gio owner, I'm pretty devastated. All signs/coach comments pointed to him taking a major step forward this year with a lot more touches. Can't see that happening now.
Unless, you know, he's way better than Hill. Which he probably is.

zamboni said:
Unless, you know, he's way better than Hill. Which he probably is.
Hill can be an every down back and has skills between the tackles and around the goal line that are pretty damn good. Gio will still carry value in PPR leagues and wlll probably get 10-12 carries a game, but his upside is limited with Hill in Cincy. I have Hill in a couple of leagues and I don't like that he went to the Bengals, but it is what it is and Gio owners need to come to the same realization.

jurb26 said:
Thoughts on the RBs;

Hyde - Not surprised at all. Gore is ancient and Lattimore ever fully recovering and making a significant impact was a long shot. SF was reported to be active in the RB FA market and they likely drafted a guy better than anyone they could have landed there, minus Johnson for a season. Hyde looks like the future of the SF running game to me.

Mason - Again, not surprised. Stacy is what he his, a guy who is good enough to get the job done but unspectacular. I had very high concerns that St. L would upgrade the position in this draft. This could be an ugly situation for fantasy, though. Mason isn't strong enough in pass protection to warrant much more than a COP role early.

Sankey - Top RB meets top situation. He probably vaults into the #1 overall for dynasty conversation.

Hill - Not surprised. I've said for a while now that I don't see Gio as an every down RB and he was immensely overrated. Hill will push BJGE out of the way and assume that role keeping this a RBBC.

Archer - don't really see this as anything more than a gadget/COP player. Will have ST impact and minimal impact on the actual running game in Pitt. Pew could see him moved to a slot WR.

McKinnon - I'm not super high on him but he seems like the clear backup to AP. Not sure he will ever be more than that. Also offers great ST potential. It's been rumored he can also play S or CB. Not sure I see that happening though.

West - Browns needed a RB as the position was bare after Tate, who has a long injury history. Comes in as a backup but could look good if Tate goes down.

Sims - Not surprised to see TB take a RB. They don't have much behind Martin. I don't think this is going to hurt Martin a great deal. He's still the best talent there. West could vulture some 3rd down opps but nothing significant IMO.
I like this post and will expand my thoughts on it.

Hyde - I don't get it or like it. San Fran doesn't have a lot of needs so this could be BPA, but it kills us all as fantasy owners if Lattimore shows anything this year. This could be a horrible RBBC starting this year and for years to come, or it could be the Hyde show and Lattimore owners are hating their lives.

Mason - I understand Stacy wasn't special but neither was a guy like Curtis Martin and Stacy just produced. This also stinks of RBBC.

Sankey - He said it all above.

Hill - I understand why the Bengals did it and it is a good move NFL wise for Gio owners it hurts. Gio has been hyped as a top 5 dynasty back all off season and much of the reason was because he was going to get more carries and more goal line work. That all went right down the drain. Gio is going to be a low end rb1 in PPR and and low end rb2 in non PPR leagues. No one signed up for that

Archer - I think he will cut into Bell's targets a little. I don't think he hurts Bell's value too much.

McKinnon - just a back up like Gerhart was. At best he is a handcuff and I expect the Vikings to get another back if and when Peterson slows down.

West - He is going to be the starter next year in my eyes. Tate can't stay healthy anyways.

Sims - I think this says more about Rainey and James as backups and I also think they don't want Martin going around or over 400 touches.

Williams - If you can wait this is the guy you want to draft. Wilson may just be a change of pace guy, and Jennings is a stop gap.

I don't blame SF for taking Hyde. I imagine that Gore , James and Hunter are all gone at the end of 2015 if not sooner. They ran the ball more than they passed it last year. They probably view this as great insurance or great competition. Win win.

jurb26 said:
Thoughts on the RBs;

I like this post and will expand my thoughts on it.

Hyde - I don't get it or like it. San Fran doesn't have a lot of needs so this could be BPA, but it kills us all as fantasy owners if Lattimore shows anything this year. This could be a horrible RBBC starting this year and for years to come, or it could be the Hyde show and Lattimore owners are hating their lives.

Mason - I understand Stacy wasn't special but neither was a guy like Curtis Martin and Stacy just produced. This also stinks of RBBC.

Sankey - He said it all above.

Hill - I understand why the Bengals did it and it is a good move NFL wise for Gio owners it hurts. Gio has been hyped as a top 5 dynasty back all off season and much of the reason was because he was going to get more carries and more goal line work. That all went right down the drain. Gio is going to be a low end rb1 in PPR and and low end rb2 in non PPR leagues. No one signed up for that

Archer - I think he will cut into Bell's targets a little. I don't think he hurts Bell's value too much.

McKinnon - just a back up like Gerhart was. At best he is a handcuff and I expect the Vikings to get another back if and when Peterson slows down.

West - He is going to be the starter next year in my eyes. Tate can't stay healthy anyways.

Sims - I think this says more about Rainey and James as backups and I also think they don't want Martin going around or over 400 touches.

Williams - If you can wait this is the guy you want to draft. Wilson may just be a change of pace guy, and Jennings is a stop gap.
That's a pretty ignorant comment.

Tentatively have them ranked:

Hyde

Sankey

Mason

Hill

Sankey would be my top choice in redraft by some distance. He has a good chance to have the highest market value one year into their careers. I'm unconvinced on his dynasty value though, so I have him ranked low enough when you factor in the WR/TE that he's essentially a "do not draft" for me. I see a pretty low ceiling for Hill in Cincy. Even if he's capable of top 15 numbers, it will be a while before he has enough sheer volume to produce difference-maker stats IMO. His best value is as a RB2 in deep mandatory 2RB leagues. Poor immediate option in 1RB leagues.

Not really sure that Mason is going to be a FF monster, but I have him as a top 2-3 back in this class and he has reasonably good short term opportunity. At the very least, he should get on the field and give you RB3/bye week filler numbers.

Don't really love Hyde, but this seems like a good fit for his skills. Lattimore is a bit of a fly in the ointment though.

Also, Terrance West could be a nice :ph34r: pick. Didn't love his film on the first pass, but he fits the physical mold reasonably well. It's tough for small school guys to get picked high, so for him to go in the 3rd round as a small school RB is a nice feather in his cap. I'm gonna go back and take a long look at him again.

Also, Terrance West could be a nice :ph34r: pick. Didn't love his film on the first pass, but he fits the physical mold reasonably well. It's tough for small school guys to get picked high, so for him to go in the 3rd round as a small school RB is a nice feather in his cap. I'm gonna go back and take a long look at him again.
Isaiah Crowell to the Browns. Oof!.

Users who are viewing this thread