What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Subscriber Contest is LIVE (1 Viewer)

Philip Rivers $13 0.00 byeMarcus Mariota $7 0.00 byeTyrod Taylor $5 0.00 bye--------------------------------Marshawn Lynch $27 0.00 byeC.J. Anderson $27 0.00 byeMark Ingram $20 0.00 byeShane Vereen $16 0.00 byeAmeer Abdullah $14 0.00 byeDoug Martin $12 0.00 byeChristine Michael $3 0.00 bye---------------------------------Keenan Allen $20 0.00 byeJohn Brown $12 0.00 byeAllen Hurns $6 0.00 byeDevin Funchess $5 0.00 byeMarkus Wheaton $5 0.00 byeEddie Royal $4 0.00 byeTyler Lockett $3 0.00 byeJerricho Cotchery $3 0.00 byeCorey Brown $2 0.00 byeJarius Wright $2 0.00 bye-------------------------------Greg Olsen $21 0.00 byeRichard Rodgers $5 0.00 byeAndrew Quarless $3 0.00 bye-------------------------------Sebastian Janikowski $2 0.00 byeKai Forbath $2 0.00 byeRyan Succop $2 0.00 bye-------------------------------Washington Redskins $3 0.00 byeNew Orleans Saints $3 0.00 byeChicago Bears $3 0.00 byeReally surprised there isn't more love for Mariota (on 961 teams). He could be this year's Cam Newton, at $7. He'll be way better than Tyrod Taylor, who has a decent chance of losing his starting job.

I wound up with 29, after starting with 30, accidentally going to 31, and then recombining to move up the ladder some at WR.

Looking at it now, I probably should have moved one of the cheap WRs to a cheap TE, but the Rodgers/Quarless combo should be a good cheap handcuff as they split a decent number of TE targets in Green Bay.

I generated my choices the same way I did last year, by pulling in FBG projections and doing a spreadsheet of projected points per dollar and points-over-baseline per dollar. It's not quite scientific but there's at least a methodology to it.
I thought that Mariota might be underowned because the Titans are a dumpster fire, but I think the kid can play. If he stays healthy he'll get 16 starts. I am not sold on Tyrod at all -- he's been a mediocre back-up for awhile for a reason IMO.

I avoid the players that everyone assumes will ascend to new levels of performance over what they have demonstrated.

Cj anderson, tannehill, cooks, pricey rookies come to mind.

Cooks for example i see topping out at 5 tds.

Probably a flawed approach but i want demonstrated performance.

So, am I the only one who took Gurley?
Had Gurley in my lineup until yesterday, then subbed DMC out and upgraded Gurley to Peterson
Just 309 teams took him.

If he's a second half stud like I think he is, I've found my differentiation.

I thought he'd be more widely held. Kinda surprised.
I was shocked that only 102 took Arian Foster. If I can survive long enough and he can stay healthy, 2 big ifs, I could be loving it. I had Gurley before the good news on Foster started trickling in. I couldn't bring myself to literally put all my eggs in the big second half if I can just get there basket.

Eli Manning $14 0.00

Tom Brady $14 0.00

------------------------------------

Eddie Lacy $32 0.00

DeMarco Murray $26 0.00

Ameer Abdullah $14 0.00

Ryan Mathews $8 0.00

Matt Jones $7 0.00

Andre Williams $5 0.00

Julio Jones $26 0.00

Brandin Cooks $21 0.00

Jeremy Maclin $16 0.00

Davante Adams $9 0.00

Markus Wheaton $5 0.00

Greg Olsen $21 0.00

Tyler Eifert $9 0.00

Crockett Gillmore $4 0.00

Matt Prater $4 0.00

Dan Carpenter $3 0.00

Miami Dolphins $7 0.00

Indianapolis Colts $5 0.00

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sam Bradford $13
Tyrod Taylor $5
Kirk Cousins $3
Ryan Fitzpatrick $3
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marshawn Lynch $27
Jeremy Hill $25
Jonathan Stewart $18
Danny Woodhead $12
Christine Michael $3
Odell Beckham Jr $31
Brandin Cooks $21
Jarvis Landry $15
John Brown $12
Markus Wheaton $5
Danny Amendola $3
Rob Gronkowski $33
Jordan Reed $7
Dan Carpenter $3
Garrett Hartley $2
Indianapolis Colts $5
Pittsburgh Steelers $4

Here we go :)

3 QBs - $32

QB - Tom Brady - NE/4 - $14 32.4% owned
QB - Andy Dalton - CIN/7 - $9 4.6%
QB - Joe Flacco - BAL/9 - $9 5.7%

Only 11 entries have all 3 of these. Starting to think I should've found value elsewhere than Brady but that price and that bye were too appealing. He was on every one of my iterations - I paired him with Garrapolo prior to the ruling. Didn't love most of the cheap options as they all seem candidates to lose their job. Dalton and Flacco are unsexy but provide a good floor - and they are good at staying healthy which is a benefit in a contest like this. Had Bridgewater on a lot of combos. Brees was probably the shark play as he's only on 5.3% of entries. Of the cheapies I think Fitzpatrick has the best chance to last. Couldn't bring myself to put Palmer on my team.

5 RBs - $73

RB - C.J. Anderson - DEN/7 - $27 21.8% owned
RB - Mark Ingram - NO/11 - $20 15.1%
RB - Chris Ivory - NYJ/5 - $15 24.5%
RB - Matt Jones - WAS/8 - $7 11.9%
RB - Terrance West - TEN/4 - $4 4.6%

Went 6 RBs last year - a little but of a gamble here. Most iterations had Charles but shuffling late and looking for value decided to gamble on Anderson keeping the gig. My next two always seemed to be some combo of Ingram/Stewart/Ivory - all of whom will get a large share of carries. Hoping Matt Jones playing a head coach desperate to save his job ends up eating the lunch of Albert Morris (who I don't like at all). West was on later versions as a guy who could end up seeing some real time with his team. If Ivory and Stewart didn't have the same bye I'd have found a way to keep 'em both. Only 84 entries have all 3 of Anderson/Ingram/Ivory. Mine is the only entry with all 5 of these guys.

8 WRs - $89

WR - Julio Jones - ATL/10 - $26 36.5% owned
WR - Calvin Johnson - DET/9 - $25 11.9%
WR - John Brown - ARI/9 - $12 21.5%
WR - Davante Adams - GB/7 - $9 56.6%
WR - Percy Harvin - BUF/8 - $7 2.6%
WR - Eddie Royal - CHI/7 - $4 36.3%
WR - Andrew Hawkins - CLE/11 - $4 1.2%
WR - Corey Brown - CAR/5 - $2 5.6%

Ugggggggggggggh - If I could go in a time machine I'd have kept it at AJ Green and Calvin - Green is comically low in terms of number of owners. Uniqueness opportunity missed. I suppose Adams and Royal having the same bye (and being value) and other big names on bye week 7 kept people away (just like it kept me away). The way things shook out I like going with a couple big guns up top and Calvin is only 29 years old - he's more value than a lot of folks thing IMO. Baby Hawk is good value - Cleveland will find ways to get him involved and I'm sure he'll count a handful of weeks for me.

Corey Brown should get a good dose of playing time which is all you want out of a $2 guy. My 5 most-owned guys (Julio/Calvin/Adams/Brown/Royal) are all on 28 entries. Wow Sanu and Marvin Jones are low-owned too. I shoulda snuck one of these Bengals receivers in (probably Sanu believe it or not).

4 TEs - $38

TE - Greg Olsen - CAR/5 - $21 17.3% owned
TE - Tyler Eifert - CIN/7 - $9 24.3%
TE - Richard Rodgers - GB/7 - $5 18.5%
TE - Scott Chandler - NE/4 - $3 4.7%

Olsen is basically the one blue-chip alternate at a decent price with a solid floor (Kelce is an option, but less proven) and he's going to get a million targets. Just couldn't pull the trigger on Gronk for an extra $12 and I don't like Graham in Seattle at that price. I am one of 2 entries that has all 4 of these TEs. I switched to Chandler from Cumberland at the last minute and am happy about it. He's a big target and New England likes to diversify. He'll prove his worth at that price. It also helps alleviate potential bye trouble. Rodgers at $5 is solid value and will also get his share. I did some reshuffling at the end to get Eifert in over Daniels who has the same bye - I love the upside of Eifert. More on this choice below.

3 PKs - $7
PK - Graham Gano - CAR/5 - $3 6.4% owned
PK - Sebastian Janikowski - OAK/6 - $2 31.3%
PK - Josh Scobee - PIT/11 - $2 36.8%

Cheap kickers with job security that's the name of the game for me. 97 entries have these exact 3 (or more) which I feel pretty good about. Janikowski has a booming leg that can put up a good number in any given game with an offense that should be a little better (but probably not better enough). Pittsburgh brought in Scobee as a solid vet and spent a pick to do so - he's safe. Gano is solid on a team that will struggle to find the end zone - the other $2 kickers didn't seem to have the same kind of security (Succop is awful).

3 TDs - $11
TD - Tampa Bay Buccaneers - TB/6 - $4 5.1% owned
TD - New York Giants - NYG/11 - $4 3.0%
TD - Atlanta Falcons - ATL/10 - $3 5.7%

Really surprised at the big increase in price for the top-end defenses given that there's no change in the scoring system. The format isn't about what defenses are good - it's about what defenses make big plays and have good return guys who can break one off. 3 cheap defenses is always the way to go in my opinion. The switch I made to get Eifert was to drop the Cincinnati defense in exchange for the Giants. Hopefully I don't regret it (the Bengals have a full-strength Atkins and the Giants are missing JPP). The Giants defense is bad but they do have a good pass rush and will be on the field a lot (which should lead to turnovers). The Bucs and Falcons are exciting but they are a cut above the absolute bottom of the barrel. Me and 20-defense guy are the only 2 entries that have all 3 of these defenses so I got the uniqueness going for me here at least :)

15-entries have my core 5 of Brady/Anderson/Julio/Calvin/Olsen.

So there ya go :)

Good luck everyone :boxing:

-QG

There is only 1 team in the contest that has Adrian Peterson and Antonio Brown and Julio Jones and Greg Olsen and Travis Kelce.

Philip Rivers $13 0.00 byeMarcus Mariota $7 0.00 byeTyrod Taylor $5 0.00 bye--------------------------------Marshawn Lynch $27 0.00 byeC.J. Anderson $27 0.00 byeMark Ingram $20 0.00 byeShane Vereen $16 0.00 byeAmeer Abdullah $14 0.00 byeDoug Martin $12 0.00 byeChristine Michael $3 0.00 bye---------------------------------Keenan Allen $20 0.00 byeJohn Brown $12 0.00 byeAllen Hurns $6 0.00 byeDevin Funchess $5 0.00 byeMarkus Wheaton $5 0.00 byeEddie Royal $4 0.00 byeTyler Lockett $3 0.00 byeJerricho Cotchery $3 0.00 byeCorey Brown $2 0.00 byeJarius Wright $2 0.00 bye-------------------------------Greg Olsen $21 0.00 byeRichard Rodgers $5 0.00 byeAndrew Quarless $3 0.00 bye-------------------------------Sebastian Janikowski $2 0.00 byeKai Forbath $2 0.00 byeRyan Succop $2 0.00 bye-------------------------------Washington Redskins $3 0.00 byeNew Orleans Saints $3 0.00 byeChicago Bears $3 0.00 byeReally surprised there isn't more love for Mariota (on 961 teams). He could be this year's Cam Newton, at $7. He'll be way better than Tyrod Taylor, who has a decent chance of losing his starting job.

I wound up with 29, after starting with 30, accidentally going to 31, and then recombining to move up the ladder some at WR.

Looking at it now, I probably should have moved one of the cheap WRs to a cheap TE, but the Rodgers/Quarless combo should be a good cheap handcuff as they split a decent number of TE targets in Green Bay.

I generated my choices the same way I did last year, by pulling in FBG projections and doing a spreadsheet of projected points per dollar and points-over-baseline per dollar. It's not quite scientific but there's at least a methodology to it.
I like that we used similar methodology and ended up with only 8 players in common :)

-QG

Uniqueness is mine lol no one is as big of a smuck as me at RB!

Only one with

Peterson

Bell

Charles

Ivory/Martin (I have both no one has either with the top 3)....

Lol someone did use and beat me at RB and went Chalk at top 4 RB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Andrew Luck $26 0.00 bye
Tyrod Taylor $5 0.00 bye
LeVeon Bell $32 0.00 bye
Adrian Peterson $32 0.00 bye
LeSean McCoy $25 0.00 bye
Cameron Artis-Payne $4 0.00 bye
Christine Michael $3 0.00 bye
Julio Jones $26 0.00 bye
Calvin Johnson $25 0.00 bye
Jeremy Maclin $16 0.00 bye
Davante Adams $9 0.00 bye
Owen Daniels $8 0.00 bye
Vernon Davis $7 0.00 bye
Scott Chandler $3 0.00 bye
Virgil Green $3 0.00 bye
Dan Bailey $5 0.00 bye
Matt Bryant $5 0.00 bye
Buffalo Bills $11 0.00 bye
Minnesota Vikings $5 0.00

First timer and surely made plenty of rookie mistakes.

Rationale.

QB- Risky only taking 2 QBs with Luck having a late bye and Taylor vulnerable to losing his job. Was probably too mindful of the 4 pts passing TDs, which I don't play in. Figured Luck has added value of some rushing TDs and figured his price would scare off many. Hope it pays off with Luck living up to expectations and Taylor keeping the job and having some good performances, especially in week 10 if I last that long.

RB- Went with stud approach and two HR swings in Artis-Payne and Michael. Added McCoy late in process because I thought people would be low on him. I like him a lot this year and his end of year schedule. Had Foster or Gurley in many of my earlier lineups but didnt like Gurley's late schedule and overthought things on Foster. Now regretting not keeping him in there.

WR- Havent really looked at ownership rates but seems like the Julio and Adams are on 75 to 90% of teams posting their lineups. The relative price on those guys was just too good for what most think they will do this year. Hoping Calvin offers some differential but again havent looked at the numbers yet. I also think Maclin was really good value. Had some different versions with Dez or DT instead of a 3rd stud RB but decided to go with McCoy b/c it gave me a few more dollars to play with.

TE- Counting on a big bounce back year from VD, hoping the Denver combo produces in some capacity, and that Chandler provides some timely fluke big games. Will really be hurt here by Gronk and other elite TE owners if those things dont pan out.

K- Had several $2 and $3 K options then decided to go with 2 Ks instead of 3 at slightly higher cost.

D- Another late switch to go with 2 Ds instead of 3 and a higher $$$ option in Buffalo. Wasnt quite sure since its only sacks, turnovers, returns. But liked schedules for both teams and Bills ability to get to QB on paper.

Obviously we'll see but I enjoyed it and look forward to following this for as long as I last and beyond. Can't believe it took me so long to become a subscriber.

Surprised Julio is owned almost 5,000 times compared to Dez's 1350 ish.

Julio with a late bye and Dez with an earlier one. I think the price difference was $3

Only 325 people with Dez/Gronk combo.

So, am I the only one who took Gurley?
Had Gurley in my lineup until yesterday, then subbed DMC out and upgraded Gurley to Peterson
Just 309 teams took him.

If he's a second half stud like I think he is, I've found my differentiation.

I thought he'd be more widely held. Kinda surprised.
He was pretty expensive for someone who likely wont score for you until week 6+

Amaro owned 24 times

Foster 102 - could pay off big with him.

13 with Geno Smith

95 with Jordy Nelson :shock:

97 with Monte Ball

736 with Hartley

89 with Barth

23 with Benjamin

90 with Paul

121 with Nick Toon

634 with Jonas Gray

I thought we had more time. I did not want Carlos Hyde. The Hayne Train/Plane is coming, and I want no part of getting in the way of that. Dang. Also, I guess I'm another Jones and Calvin guy. Oh well, here goes...

Tom Brady $14 0.00 bye
Carson Palmer $8 0.00 bye
Marshawn Lynch $27 0.00 bye
Carlos Hyde $19 0.00 bye
Chris Ivory $15 0.00 bye
Doug Martin $12 0.00 bye
Ryan Mathews $8 0.00 bye
Matt Jones $7 0.00 bye
Julio Jones $26 0.00 bye
Calvin Johnson $25 0.00 bye
Amari Cooper $19 0.00 bye
Dorial Green-Beckham $7 0.00 bye
Markus Wheaton $5 0.00 bye
Danny Amendola $3 0.00 bye
Greg Olsen $21 0.00 bye
Vernon Davis $7 0.00 bye
Josh Brown $4 0.00 bye
Sebastian Janikowski $2 0.00 bye
Denver Broncos $8 0.00 bye
Jacksonville Jaguars $4 0.00 bye

I suck at the contest. Been bounced very early the last couple years b/c I got too cute with loading up on cheap players that put up duds right away. I usually had about 28 players when I entered it in. Thought I would try going more top heavy and ended up with 21 and made sure I had all different bye weeks at the positions.

QB - Tom Brady - NE/4 - $14
QB - Sam Bradford - PHI/8 - $13
QB - Ryan Fitzpatrick - NYJ/5 - $3

RB - Jeremy Hill - CIN/7 - $25
RB - Justin Forsett - BAL/9 - $25
RB - Chris Ivory - NYJ/5 - $15
RB - Christine Michael - DAL/6 - $3

WR - T.Y. Hilton - IND/10 - $23
WR - Mike Evans - TB/6 - $23
WR - Sammy Watkins - BUF/8 - $19

cleardot.gif

WR - Davante Adams - GB/7 - $9
WR - Markus Wheaton - PIT/11 - $5
TE - Greg Olsen - CAR/5 - $21
TE - Travis Kelce - KC/9 - $20
TE - Charles Clay - BUF/8 - $9
PK - Matt Prater - DET/9 - $4
PK - Graham Gano - CAR/5 - $3
PK - Josh Scobee - PIT/11 - $2
TD - Cincinnati Bengals - CIN/7 - $5
TD - Indianapolis Colts - IND/10 - $5
TD - Jacksonville Jaguars - JAX/8 - $4

Eli Manning $14 0.00 bye
Sam Bradford $13 0.00 bye
C.J. Anderson $27 0.00 bye
Justin Forsett $25 0.00 bye
Chris Ivory $15 0.00 bye
Ryan Mathews $8 0.00 bye
DeAngelo Williams $6 0.00 bye
Christine Michael $3 0.00 bye
Odell Beckham Jr $31 0.00 bye
DeAndre Hopkins $23 0.00 bye
Amari Cooper $19 0.00 bye
Jarvis Landry $15 0.00 bye
Tyler Lockett $3 0.00 bye
Greg Olsen $21 0.00 bye
Tyler Eifert $9 0.00 bye
Kai Forbath $2 0.00 bye
Josh Scobee $2 0.00 bye
Philadelphia Eagles $8 0.00 bye
Cleveland Browns $4 0.00 bye

Really disappointed. Went to check for last minute corrections, and it was locked. Thought the D. Wiliams was Damien Williams, not Deangelo!!! :wall:

cdubz said:
Ended up with a 27 man roster. Didn't seriously consider anything less than 23 and floated between 25-28 for the most part this year.

2 QB - $32

7 RB - $61

8 WR - $79

4 TE - $48

3 D - $19

3 K - $11

Tony Romo $17

Matthew Stafford $15

Brady was on virtually all of my rosters up until last couple of days. Might be a mistake particularly with rostering Gronk, but thought this might give me some more uniqueness if I make it to final 250. I'm not all that confident in Stafford, but if he blows up along with Calvin - will like that stack.

Lamar Miller $24

Isaiah Crowell $13

Ryan Mathews $8

Matt Jones $8

Christine Michael $3

Juwaun Thompson $3

Mike Tolbert $3

Strategy here was to skimp and hope for the best in weeks 14-16 if I make it that far. I had very good success several years ago with a similar strategy, and given the pricey-ness of RB points - thought it was a decent strategy this year as well. Had Miller/Abdullah/Martin for the longest time, but wanted to re-direct some $ to a 2nd stud WR.

Julio $26

Calvin $25

Davante Adams $9

Phillip Dorsett $5

Eddie Royal $4

Donte Moncrief $4

Tyler Lockett $3

Danny Amendola $3

Julio if not on all of my iterations was on 95%+ of them. Calvin was a late add, but should be a bargain if he reverts to his old form. I actually love the IND WR3 and WR4 for $9, should provide some sporadic good games and could be huge if Andre or Hilton go down with an injury. Thought about trying to fade Adams, but the value is too good to pass up. Because I have Adams, didn't like the versions of my roster with Cobb as well.

Gronk $33

Reed $7

Richard Rodgers $5

Jeff Cumberland $3

To Gronk or not to Gronk? That is the question. I think certain stud WRs are better pt/$ plays - but hard to pass up the points in the TE column when I have more quantity in WR. Thought about Gates briefly when taking Gronk out. Reed with Paul out was a lock for me. Injuries are obviously a question, but complete value at $7 when healthy.

Bailey $5

Prater $4

Scobee $2

Cardinals $7

Dolphins $7

Colts $5

This more aggressive pricing on K/DEF is no bueno, forces some hard decisions. I started off with the cheapest options here and kept creeping up when I had extra $ and was comfortable with my offensive positions.
2 other teams with Romo/Miller/Julio/Calvin/Gronk

1 other team with Stafford/Miller/Julio/Calvin/Gronk

Each is <20 players. Uniqueness shouldn't be an issue if I am still alive late.

Here we go :)
Wow, our entries have a lot of overlap and similar philosophies. Good luck.
I count 8 - which given how many commonly-owned guys doesn't seem like quite that many :)

Really starting to feel like I shoulda rolled cheaper and go Brady/Flacco - roll the $8 into shoring up my RB position more. And going Green instead of Julio so that's $9 for a spare RB upgrade....so let's see....

Kick out Dalton. (-$9)

Upgrade West to Abdullah (+$10)

Swap Julio out and put in AJ Green (-$1)

QB - Tom Brady - NE/4 - $14

QB - Joe Flacco - BAL/9 - $9

RB - C.J. Anderson - DEN/7 - $27

RB - Mark Ingram - NO/11 - $20

RB - Ameer Abdullah DET/9 - $14

RB - Matt Jones - WAS/8 - $7

WR - A.J. Green - CIN/7 - $25

WR - Calvin Johnson - DET/9 - $25

WR - John Brown - ARI/9 - $12

WR - Percy Harvin - BUF/8 - $7

WR - Eddie Royal - CHI/7 - $4

WR - Andrew Hawkins - CLE/11 - $4

WR - Corey Brown - CAR/5 - $2

TE - Tyler Eifert - CIN/7 - $9

TE - Richard Rodgers - GB/7 - $5

TE - Scott Chandler - NE/4 - $3

PK - Graham Gano - CAR/5 - $3

PK - Sebastian Janikowski - OAK/6 - $2

TD - Tampa Bay Buccaneers - TB/6 - $4

TD - New York Giants - NYG/11 - $4

TD - Atlanta Falcons - ATL/10 - $3

Dang - I like the look of this so much more than my real entry. Will track this version and see if I'm right ;)

-QG

Tannehill

Bradford

Cousins

Think Tannehill and Bradford both have shots at Top 5 QB seasons. Tannehill was locked into my lineup from the get go. Philly has made some bad QB's look fantastic, and now they have a QB with some talent they sky could be the limit. Added Cousins late because I don't see how Washington could possibly go back to RGIII unless due to injury. He threw multi-TD's in 4 of 6 games last year and had 250+ yards in 5 of 6. Nice bargain for $3.

Brady is on a 1/3 of teams and while I think he's decent value for the price, I think those expecting him to come out "mad" and put up 2007 numbers are chasing a dream. He really struggled at times last year and was awesome at others. In the end I believe he finishes behind both Tannehill and Bradford.

Jeremy Hill

Latavius Murray

Chris Ivory

Ryan Mathews

Matt Jones

Javorius Allen

Lorenzo Taliaferro

Christine Michael

Grabbed two good backs in Hill and Murray who I think are undervalued. I wouldn't be surprised to see Hill as a top 5 back this year and Murray a top 12. Hill has multi-TD potential and Murray has that home run ability which can help carry a team. Ivory has always had the talent, it was always just a question of playing time and health. He should be the lead horse on a team that's going to rely on the run.

The next five picks are gambles that could pay off big time. I'm probably in the minority but have never been a fan of DeMarco Murray's talent. I think he benefited greatly from that line in Dallas. He's going to another great situation, but this time I think he actually has someone behind him that can challenge him for carries. Mathews should get enough plays to where he'll produce decent scores every now and then but could be a huge payoff if Murray disappoints.

I bought into the Matt Jones hype. He's another that should get some playing time each week regardless, so that he can cover a bye or injury if needed. Alfred Morris is another where I wonder if opportunity/system was greater than his actual talent.

J. Allen, Taliaferro and Michael are all picks based on the same reason. The teams they play for have incredible o-lines and I'm just not a believer in the named starter. Again, probably in the minority here, but I think Forsett was a product of right place, right time for Baltimore last year. Once healthy Taliaferro could vulture some GL work and Allen could vulture some passing down work. Michael was a last minute add, but same situation. I'm not convinced Randle is good enough to be the starter and that McFadden can stay healthy. For $3 he was worth the lotto ticket.

Julio Jones

Jarvis Landry

John Brown

Davante Adams

Michael Crabtree

Stevie Johnson

Eddie Royal

Corey Brown

Was looking for players that get targets. Julio should continue seeing his 10 targets a game and has that big game potential you'll need in the final weeks. Landry became Tannehill's favorite target and wanted to pair the two for the upside in the final weeks. Towards the end of the season he too was seeing about 9 targets a game. In his last 8 games he averaged 9 targets, 6.5 receptions, 57 yards and .38 TDs. That works out to 144 targets, 104 receptions, 912 yards, and 6 TD's. There's also reason to believe he could improve on those numbers in his 2nd year.

There were a bunch of WR's I liked in the $8-$12 range. Settled on Brown, Adams, Crabtree and Johnson. Adams is self-explanatory. The pain of fading him and having him put up a strong year was much greater than the pain of taking him and having him fail. So it was an easy decision. Extrapolating the 6 games John Brown played with Palmer he "would" have had 107 targets, 53 receptions, 840 yards and 8 TD's. His games provides the big days you're looking for in this contest and from this position.

I think Crabtree and Johnson are both being written off pre-maturely. Crabtree is another year removed from an injury that cost him some time and I think he moves from a team that was run run run, that'll be forced to pass more often. I wouldn't be surprise to see a 1000 yard campaign from him. For someone who seems like he's been around forever, Stevie Johnson is only 29. He too moves from the Run first SF team (that barely used him) to a team that should be pass happy. Both these players should provide solid bye-week and injury fill in scores.

Eddie Royal should pick up a ton of targets on a team that will be forced to pass. Someone will have to catch some passes in Carolina. They can't all go to Olsen. Not sold on Funchess, and Corey Brown has show he can produce some when given the opportunity. Another $2 lotto ticket.

Kyle Rudolph

Tyler Eifert

Jordan Reed

With the 1.5 ppr and TE-eligible flex, I wanted 3 high ceiling players. They are all injury concerns, but they also all have top 5 potential. The 3 of these guys cost less than Gronkowski and I wouldn't be surprise if I get similar combined production.

Championship

Manning

Bortles

D.Murray

Miller

Hyde

Martin

D.Robinson

D Thomas

J.Jones

A.Jones

C.Shorts

M.Wheaton

H.Douglas

A.Hawkins

A.Dobson

C.Brown

J.Wright

O.Daniels

M.Rivera

R.Rodgers

Janikowski

Forbath

Scobee

Succub

Saints

Falcons

Titans

Here's mine.

QB: Brady, Bradford, Palmer, Taylor.

RB: Peterson, Murray/Oak, Martin, Jones, Robinson/Jax, Artis-Payne.

WR: Edelman, Maclin, Adams/GB, Hurns, Royal.

TE: Gronk, Olsen, Watson.

PK: Bullock, Janikowski, Scobee.

DE: Indy, Jax.

I like it. No overload on any BYE WEEK. Everybody can produce. Be nice if a couple of the BUs could move to starter. We'll see.

I'm the only team with Peyton,Julio,and D.Thomas,and the only one with Peyton, D. Murray,and L.Miller.Guess thats good.

Jay Cutler $10

Brian Hoyer $5
Tyrod Taylor $5
Kirk Cousins $3

Throw a bunch of crap against a wall and see what sticks.
Adrian Peterson $32
Jeremy Hill $25
Danny Woodhead $12
Doug Martin $12
Darren Sproles $11
Matt Jones $7

ADP and Hill.. studs... could finish RB1-2 this year. Woodhead and Sproles great for PPR and will have some big games. Martin, the pre-season made me a believer that he wants a big paycheck. I won't touch him next year after he gets it, but this year, he is running for millions. Matt Jones is a complete WhytheFnot? pick, but I like his potential.
Julio Jones $26
Brandin Cooks $21
Nelson Agholor $17
Davante Adams $9
Allen Hurns $6
Eddie Royal $4

Julio... 'nuff said. I agree with an earlier post that Cooks could be top 10, and maybe joins Julio as top 5. Agholor is a playmaker and will have some big weeks and I feel that way about Adams and Hurns as well. Royal is a solid possession guy, I hope.
Tyler Eifert $9
Larry Donnell $8
Richard Rodgers $5
Jeff Cumberland $3
Ben Watson $3

I am kinda swinging for the fences. I'm not sold on Hill taking over at TE for NO, so I think Watson gets some points. I haven't seen Cumberland on any other rosters, and I understand why, but with Amaro on IR, and a better receiving corps, I think he can have a game or two, plus I seem to remember Fitz likes the TE. Donnell seems perfect for this format. Should have some big games, and some stinkers, so I just hope he is there when I need him. Rodgers is catching from Rodgers, that's enough for me. Eifert is my big money guy. So, clearly I went with guys I think will have anywhere from 3-6 big weeks throughout the season, and am hoping for some luck in that happening independent of the others, or adding as a flex.
Josh Scobee $2
Ryan Succop $2
Sebastian Janikowski $2
Cincinnati Bengals $5
Tennessee Titans $3
San Diego Chargers $3

Not really much thought. Went cheap, generally.

I considered rostering both sets of triplets:

Quick, Britt, Bailey (21 total)

Baldwin, Kearse, Lockett (18 total)

Actually did keep the Rams three and then added Lockett on his own. Anyone else look at the cumulative stats for a cheap set of WRs and roster them as a group?

Here's mine.

I like it. No overload on any BYE WEEK. Everybody can produce. Be nice if a couple of the BUs could move to starter. We'll see.
Never going to win it with five WR, none of which in the top 20. Seems like every winning roster the past few years went low quantity on RB (just 2-3 expensive guys that all hit it big), one stud TE and a mid-range TE, and 7+ WR to catch the big weeks from players.

I cashed last year and can say for certain I would not have if I didn't have a deep WR pool (8 players out of 21 total rostered spots). The lower priced guys that came out of the woodwork for a couple big weeks saved me from being eliminated several times.

Tom Brady $14 0.00 bye
Sam Bradford $13 0.00 bye
C.J. Anderson $27 0.00 bye
Lamar Miller $24 0.00 bye
Mark Ingram $20 0.00 bye
Ameer Abdullah $14 0.00 bye
Branden Oliver $3 0.00 bye
Dez Bryant $30 0.00 bye
Jarvis Landry $15 0.00 bye
Steve Johnson $8 0.00 bye
Markus Wheaton $5 0.00 bye
Aaron Dobson $3 0.00 bye
Rob Gronkowski $33 0.00 bye
Martellus Bennett $18 0.00 bye
Josh Scobee $2 0.00 bye
Ryan Succop $2 0.00 bye
Indianapolis Colts $5 0.00 bye
Tennessee Titans $3 0.00 bye
TOTAL 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00
CUTOFF 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00

Here's a team just using colors.

(Had to use nicknames for Dalton and ADP, and yeah I cheated a little with Gould, and well, Blake means black or white according to some website and well Cam is a Vietnamese girls name meaning Red but still...)

Andy Dalton (aka Red Rifle)

Cam Netwon

Blake Bortles

Chris Ivory

Alfred Blue

James White

Adrian Peterson (aka Purple Jesus)

Philly Brown

Eddie Royal

AJ Green

Antonio Brown

Roddy White

Dorial Green-Beckham

Marlon Brown

Kevin White

Ladarius Green

Virgil Green

Josh Brown

Robbie Gould

Cleveland

Green Bay

Arizona

Washington

-QG

I considered rostering both sets of triplets:

Quick, Britt, Bailey (21 total)

Baldwin, Kearse, Lockett (18 total)

Actually did keep the Rams three and then added Lockett on his own. Anyone else look at the cumulative stats for a cheap set of WRs and roster them as a group?
considered it with the Panthers WRs and TE. sort of did it with the Broncos TEs. as did 83 others.

Here's mine.

Never going to win it with five WR, none of which in the top 20. Seems like every winning roster the past few years went low quantity on RB (just 2-3 expensive guys that all hit it big), one stud TE and a mid-range TE, and 7+ WR to catch the big weeks from players.

I cashed last year and can say for certain I would not have if I didn't have a deep WR pool (8 players out of 21 total rostered spots). The lower priced guys that came out of the woodwork for a couple big weeks saved me from being eliminated several times.
seems somewhat counterintuitive, or maybe the key is simply the luck of getting the RBs right.

Here's mine.

It would be boring if this is true. I would hope there is more variance to the top rosters than that.

is the contest already locked? Thought I had a few hours to change things up a bit.
I was hoping to revise mine quick too. Was too busy to check it this week so far. It's not looking like I'll make it past week 5. I saw that I have David Cobb as a back and he's on IR now. I also have a ton of people with a week 5 bye. Oh well.

(Had to use nicknames for Dalton and ADP, and yeah I cheated a little with Gould, and well, Blake means black or white according to some website and well Cam is a Vietnamese girls name meaning Red but still...)

Cam Netwon

Blake Bortles

Chris Ivory

Alfred Blue

James White

Philly Brown

Eddie Royal

AJ Green

Antonio Brown

Roddy White

Dorial Green-Beckham

Marlon Brown

Kevin White

Ladarius Green

Virgil Green

Josh Brown

Robbie Gould

Cleveland

Green Bay

Arizona

Washington

-QG
I at one point toyed with a color entry, since my chances are winning are close to zero anyway, but gave up when I couldn't figure out a QB. A day late on those suggestions.

Went with the stud at each starting spot theory, and a few bye week fillers I hope to pan out. I have 10 of players on my actual keeper team, so its an easy follow. Which means I'm probably gonna crash and burn about week 7....

Aaron Rodgers $25 0.00 bye
Kirk Cousins $3 0.00 bye
Ryan Fitzpatrick $3 0.00 bye
Marshawn Lynch $27 0.00 bye
LeSean McCoy $25 0.00 bye
Chris Ivory $15 0.00 bye
Danny Woodhead $12 0.00 bye
DeAngelo Williams $6 0.00 bye
Antonio Brown $33 0.00 bye
Randall Cobb $25 0.00 bye
Michael Crabtree $9 0.00 bye
Eddie Royal $4 0.00 bye
Corey Brown $2 0.00 bye
Greg Olsen $21 0.00 bye
Owen Daniels $8 0.00 bye
Garrett Graham $4 0.00 bye
Stephen Gostkowski $8 0.00 bye
Greg Zuerlein $4 0.00 bye
Seattle Seahawks $12 0.00 bye
Tampa Bay Buccaneers $4 0.00

32.4% QB - Tom Brady - NE/4 - $14
7.0% QB - Marcus Mariota - TEN/4 - $7
18.9% QB - Kirk Cousins - WAS/8 - $3

10.1% RB - LeVeon Bell - PIT/11 - $32
9.6% RB - Marshawn Lynch - SEA/9 - $27
21.8% RB - C.J. Anderson - DEN/7 - $27
37.3% RB - Doug Martin - TB/6 - $12

36.5% WR - Julio Jones - ATL/10 - $26
11.9% WR - Calvin Johnson - DET/9 - $25
56.6% WR - Davante Adams - GB/7 - $9
19.8% WR - Devin Funchess - CAR/5 - $5
32.0% WR - Markus Wheaton - PIT/11 - $5
36.4% WR - Eddie Royal - CHI/7 - $4
15.6% WR - Tyler Lockett - SEA/9 - $3
5.6% WR - Corey Brown - CAR/5 - $2
2.6% WR - Jarius Wright - MIN/5 - $2

24.3% TE - Tyler Eifert - CIN/7 - $9
6.8% TE - Jordan Reed - WAS/8 - $7
18.5% TE - Richard Rodgers - GB/7 - $5
8.0% TE - Ben Watson - NO/11 - $3
3.3% TE - Virgil Green - DEN/7 - $3

31.3% PK - Sebastian Janikowski - OAK/6 - $2
5.8% PK - Kai Forbath - WAS/8 - $2
36.8% PK - Josh Scobee - PIT/11 - $2
6.9% PK - Ryan Succop - TEN/4 - $2

2.5% TD - Washington Redskins - WAS/8 - $3
5.6% TD - New Orleans Saints - NO/11 - $3
5.7% TD - Atlanta Falcons - ATL/10 - $3
7.4% TD - Tennessee Titans - TEN/4 - $3

There are 2 ways to fill a starting slot: you can throw money at it (pay up for a stud) or you can throw numbers at it (draft a bunch of cheap adequate guys and take advantage of best ball).

Throwing money at it gives you a higher ceiling each week (huge games usually come from top players), but a lower floor (almost everyone has some off games, plus there are byes & injuries). Throwing numbers at it is limited by the number of adequate cheap options available (more at some positions than at others), plus there are diminishing returns to adding more low-ceiling players (especially at the non-flexable positions). Since there is both a salary cap and a roster size cap, there isn't really a choice between the 2 approaches, just a question of how to blend them.

There is also the intermediate strategy of going after mid-range guys, but they don't have the weekly ceiling that studs do and it's hard to outscore a pack of cheap guys. So I think mid-range guys are usually only worth getting when they are especially undervalued, and either high-weekly-ceiling or cheapish ($10 or less).

Starting from the bottom of my roster, where it is most distinctive:

Defense is the obvious place to throw numbers at it, since scoring is so unpredictable from year-to-year and so variable from week-to-week. Every defense has about the same weekly ceiling. Each extra defense on your roster gives you another chance at hitting on this year's 2014 Eagles, and another chance of having the team that gets a pick-6 that week. I didn't particularly like any of the $4 or $5 options, so I went to the extreme with 4 minimum-price defenses. Apparently only 1.2% of teams took this sort of approach (4+ TD for $15 or less).

Kicker is nearly as week-to-week variable as defense (though significantly more predictable year-to-year, thanks to XPs). It's not quite as variable, but minimum-price kickers cost 2/3 as much as minimum-price defenses, so I went with 4 again. 1.6% of teams took this sort of approach (4+ PK for $10 or less). I think my total PK+TD spending is pretty close to average, and I'd much rather spend $20 this way than shell out for the high-priced options.

RBs are overpriced compared to the other flexable positions - a RB costs a few bucks more than a WR or TE that is projected to put up similar fpts. And there aren't really any cheap adequate value plays at RB. The solution: take as few RBs as possible. 4 is the minimum that doesn't have a huge risk of leaving a hole in my lineup, so that's what I did. This is a place where it's worth throwing money at it, because the elite guys are less likely to leave that hole in my lineup than the riskier mid-range guys, and the elite guys aren't any more overpriced than the mid-range guys. So I went with L Bell who is the cream of the crop (especially when the first 2 weeks don't matter much), Lynch & Anderson who are cheapish for stud RBs, and one unusually good mid-range value play in Doug Martin (which 37% of owners took advantage of).

I thought of WR & TE as basically one position, "flex" (with the caveat that I do need to be strong enough at each to fill out my non-flex starters). There are a ton of good value plays at WR/TE - both cheap guys ($5 or less) and lower-mid-range guys ($6-$10). So this is prime "throw numbers at it" territory. I took 12 of the <$10 options (and 14 WR/TEs in total), including many of the obvious popular value guys. There were several others that I was tempted by, but these 12 put me near the roster size limit and probably also into diminishing returns territory. I had to spend my money somewhere, so I threw it at Julio & Calvin (the same duo I ended up with in Anarchy) since they were among the least expensive of the studs. Gronk is the top player in this format, but I couldn't justify spending the extra $8 over Calvin.

Quarterback was the trickiest position to strategize about. On the one hand, the way to score the most at QB is to have a top QB - a pack of mid-range QBs won't catch up to the huge games put up by the top QBs. On the other hand, the gap that a top QB has on a trio of mid-range QBs is not that big, which suggests that it might be worth punting the position, going with 3-4 cheap guys, and making up the fpts elsewhere. But the cheap QB options ($5 or less) have a pretty big downside, which is that they might not make it through the year as starters. After much deliberation and mind-changing, I ended up going with Brady as a relatively affordable play with a shot at top 3 numbers, plus Mariota as a cheapish undervalued option (a safe starter with a high ceiling), and Cousins to cheaply round things out (including filling in for that week 4 bye).

Cam Netwon

Blake Bortles

Chris Ivory

Alfred Blue

James White

Philly Brown

Eddie Royal

AJ Green

Antonio Brown

Roddy White

Dorial Green-Beckham

Marlon Brown

Kevin White

Ladarius Green

Virgil Green

Josh Brown

Robbie Gould

Cleveland

Green Bay

Arizona

Washington

-QG
I at one point toyed with a color entry, since my chances are winning are close to zero anyway, but gave up when I couldn't figure out a QB. A day late on those suggestions.
My apologies

-QG

I always suck. Take this with a grain of salt. I think if I can make it through week 6, I have a shot at going all the way.

QB - Sam Bradford - PHI/8 - $13
QB - Marcus Mariota - TEN/4 - $7

QB - Ryan Fitzpatrick - NYJ/5 - $3

Bradford is my guy this year. I also like Mariota, and went back and forth on Cousins and Fitzpatrick. Decided to go with the guy who has better receivers.

RB - Arian Foster - HOU/9 - $26
RB - Isaiah Crowell - CLE/11 - $13
RB - Danny Woodhead - SD/10 - $12

RB - Ryan Mathews - PHI/8 - $8

RB - Matt Jones - WAS/8 - $7

Foster was on my team the entire time. I'm playing to win. Maybe I die early, but if not, I think I can have a strong team for the end game. I was pushing this even farther, alternating between Gurley and Gordon for most of the time, before settling on Crowell as a way undervalued guy, with Woodhead base on the PPR settings. Ivory also seems too cheap to me. Had Michael, Payne, and a couple others often but decided this was the squad for me.

WR - Amari Cooper - OAK/6 - $19
WR - Allen Robinson - JAC/8 - $17
WR - Jeremy Maclin - KC/9 - $16

WR - Steve Johnson - SD/10 - $8
WR - Cole Beasley - DAL/6 - $4
WR - Marlon Brown - BAL/9 - $3

I don't know what to expect from Marlon Brown, but the way he started last year really makes me wonder if he steps up big time. Who the hell else is Flacco throwing to? Smith fell off a cliff after midseason, so... Beasley being overlooked as Welker-esque for Dallas, and the other guys are all cheaper options who should produce consistently and well. Johnson and Rivers together should be great.

TE - Jason Witten - DAL/6 - $16
TE - Antonio Gates - SD/10 - $11

Had Kelce and Eifert, but wanted a couple dollars elsewhere and moved to Witten and Gates. Pushing once more the whole "best team at the end" attempt, and just kind of crossing my fingers to hope I make it there.

PK - Sebastian Janikowski - OAK/6 - $2
PK - Ryan Succop - TEN/4 - $2

3 cheap kickers. Scobee worked out nicely.

TD - Miami Dolphins - MIA/5 - $7
TD - Minnesota Vikings - MIN/5 - $5
TD - Tampa Bay Buccaneers - TB/6 - $4

Miami has an awesome first 4 weeks and could be the #1 defense. They were on every iteration of my team. Then I decided I'd be fine week 5, Minny has upside as does TB. Not much else to say here.

I always suck. So this was probably worthless. But at least it was fun. I knew I had my team when I opened it and didn't make any changes Thursday at dinner time.

My heart hurts so much. I was so busy at work today and thought we had until kickoff to edit teams tonight. Here is my entry

Derek Carr $7 0.00 bye Blake Bortles $7 0.00 bye Kirk Cousins $3 0.00 bye ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Justin Forsett $25 0.00 bye Lamar Miller $24 0.00 bye Chris Ivory $15 0.00 bye Ameer Abdullah $14 0.00 bye Doug Martin $12 0.00 bye ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Julio Jones $26 0.00 bye Charles Johnson $16 0.00 bye Jarvis Landry $15 0.00 bye Davante Adams $9 0.00 bye Markus Wheaton $5 0.00 bye Eddie Royal $4 0.00 bye ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Rob Gronkowski $33 0.00 bye Tyler Eifert $9 0.00 bye Richard Rodgers $5 0.00 bye ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Graham Gano $3 0.00 bye Josh Scobee $2 0.00 bye Sebastian Janikowski $2 0.00 bye ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Arizona Cardinals $7 0.00 bye Cleveland Browns $4 0.00 bye Tennessee Titans $3 0.00 Here is my husbands

Tom Brady $14 0.00 bye Derek Carr $7 0.00 bye Kirk Cousins $3 0.00 bye ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Justin Forsett $25 0.00 bye Lamar Miller $24 0.00 bye Chris Ivory $15 0.00 bye Doug Martin $12 0.00 bye Danny Woodhead $12 0.00 bye Cameron Artis-Payne $4 0.00 bye ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Julio Jones $26 0.00 bye Charles Johnson $16 0.00 bye John Brown $12 0.00 bye Davante Adams $9 0.00 bye Allen Hurns $6 0.00 bye Markus Wheaton $5 0.00 bye Eddie Royal $4 0.00 bye ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Travis Kelce $20 0.00 bye Tyler Eifert $9 0.00 bye Richard Rodgers $5 0.00 bye Ben Watson $3 0.00 bye ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Graham Gano $3 0.00 bye Sebastian Janikowski $2 0.00 bye Josh Scobee $2 0.00 bye ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Minnesota Vikings $5 0.00 bye Cleveland Browns $4 0.00 bye Tennessee Titans $3 0.00 bye ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I am very disappointed =(

Users who are viewing this thread