What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Summer Call-ups: 2012 Edition (1 Viewer)

'Eephus said:
Post-hype sleeper Ryan Kalish called up to Boston after a year lost to injury
Been sitting on him for 2 1/2 years now, glad he's getting a shot before Crawford is due back. Lets just hope Boston's ####ty management doesn't give him the Middlebrooks treatment.

Im stashing Bauer, Hultzen, & Myers in my 5 player keeper league LMAO. I dont have much bench space either

Is Myers on the horizon?
Out of all 3 guys I mentioned Id say he's called up last. Cain actually started rehab games, so there is a logjam in the OF until they can trade Francouer. I just picked him up cuz I had a free spot and can drop him if he isnt called up in the next few weeks. IMO Hultzen will be up first. They have a bunch of crappy pitchers in their rotation and hes dominating. I have a feeling they're playing it safe for Super 2 status on him but I wouldnt be shocked if hes up in the next 2 weeks. Bauer would be up but they dont have a single opening in their rotation for him unless they can trade Saunders or someone gets hurt UGH

Post-hype sleeper Ryan Kalish called up to Boston after a year lost to injury
:goodposting: and he was on a TEAR at AAA
12 team keeperChasing steals, Kalish or Cain?
Cain is a couple of weeks away barring another setback. I'd be concerned that the groin/hip injuries might affect his SB potential in the short term.
:goodposting: Plus Kalish draws more walks and hits for more power. If Cain doesn't hit close to .300 he may get stuck in the bottom of the order, especially if he isn't running because of the hip. If Kalish hits how I think he will (.275/.330/.425) he'll be hitting 6th by the All Star break. Good spot in that lineup.

Archer seemed to pitch decent last night. Anyone watch it?
Had a shaky first inning, but then settled down and did not give up a hit after that. Really hard to say if it was him or the Nats bats though, because the Nats have not been hitting well lately.But I think Hellickson is only expected to miss one more start, and then Archer is probably getting sent back down.

Starting Rizz over Boesch, leaving him on the bench in favor of Everth and Jemile in another league. Think I'm going to regret the 2nd decision.

Is it pretty safe to start Bauer right away or does history suggest waiting a few starts to let the nerves out?
I am starting him - it is the ATL and not someplace terrible - and the adrenalin may really have him jacked up..............besides you don't want to miss a double digit strikeout performance on TV

Ben Reiter ‏@SI_BenReiter

Source: Royals plan to call up Wil Myers - now baseball's best hitting prospect - "sometime in July, if all goes right."

Ben Reiter ‏@SI_BenReiter Source: Royals plan to call up Wil Myers - now baseball's best hitting prospect - "sometime in July, if all goes right."
not much of a leap there and that is next month - meanwhile the Royals have to either make a spot for him or just rotate him in and out of the lineup once he arrives.............if they could pull off the rumored Francoeur trade to the Dodgers it would solve the problemBut yes he will be up - not sure about July but sometime this summer

Travis d'Arnaud tore his PCL. From what I read he's out 6-8 weeks but no surgery is needed. Probably won't see him this year

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it pretty safe to start Bauer right away or does history suggest waiting a few starts to let the nerves out?
Many top pitchers (Clemens, Randy Johnson to name two) get off to so-so starts. Bauer might be mediocre the rest of this season.

Many top pitchers (Clemens, Randy Johnson to name two) get off to so-so starts. Bauer might be mediocre the rest of this season.
I will bet against that
Bauer's command is his big question mark. He's been giving up 4.6 BB/9 in his brief minor league career and walked 3 in 4 IP last night. But he's nowhere near as wild as a young Randy Johnson was at a similar stage of development.

What are we waiting for with Myers? I figured he'd be up after the break.
First they are easing Cain back into the lineup and seeing if he is ready to play every dayNext they have to either trade Frenchy or decide to have him on the benchAnd fantasy players may want him up tomorrow but there really is no rush from the Royals point of view

First they are easing Cain back into the lineup and seeing if he is ready to play every dayNext they have to either trade Frenchy or decide to have him on the benchAnd fantasy players may want him up tomorrow but there really is no rush from the Royals point of view
Well, I would dare say the kid helped put 40,000 in the ballpark for the futures game, so there is that for the royals. Maybe they want him to debut on the road?

Well, I would dare say the kid helped put 40,000 in the ballpark for the futures game, so there is that for the royals. Maybe they want him to debut on the road?
Most teams want their prospects to accumulate 1000+ PA's north of A Ball and Myers isn't to 800 yet. It's far from a hard line rule, just an unsaid one by most organizations. I suspect we'll see him up sometime this year. Even if Frenchy doesn't get dealt by the trade deadline I'll bet the Royals see what they can get for him during the waiver trade period in August. They don't want to bring him up unless he gets full time AB's, so I'm keeping him stashed in my weekly leagues as long as I can.

S. Marte is up. I missed out on him because ESPN decided not to put Arencibia on the DL until this afternoon......so.....

Any rumblings from around the league? Is now the time to grab someone like Hultzen?

S. Marte is up. I missed out on him because ESPN decided not to put Arencibia on the DL until this afternoon......so.....Any rumblings from around the league? Is now the time to grab someone like Hultzen?
id prefer to stash daniel straily
who?
Another young Oakland arm. He's come out of nowhere to post sensational numbers this year, especially by Texas and Pacific Coast League standards.

S. Marte is up. I missed out on him because ESPN decided not to put Arencibia on the DL until this afternoon......so.....Any rumblings from around the league? Is now the time to grab someone like Hultzen?
who?
Another young Oakland arm. He's come out of nowhere to post sensational numbers this year, especially by Texas and Pacific Coast League standards.
Ok...doesn't seem to be in ESPNs system yet (or Yahoo). Available on CBS though.

Last edited by a moderator:
who?
Ok...doesn't seem to be in ESPNs system yet (or Yahoo). Available on CBS though.
The problem is that the Oaklands have so many arms. Straily may not see much action this year unless Beane trades a pitcher for a bat.

Is there a prospect Captain Hook is not in love with?
plenty of guys he doesn't like
Seems like any time someone brings up a new guy in here he loves the guy. Most of these guys won't pan out and almost all of them start off slow. Going prospect heavy usually doesn't lead to titles. Getting guys like Carlos Gomez once they've figured it out and everyone else has forgotten about him has a much better success rate imho.

Users who are viewing this thread