What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Survivor Season 42: Starts Wednesday March 9, 2022 (2 Viewers)

"You are being aggressive" - Jonathan
Sometimes he doesn't read situations very well. When Lindsay was trying to explain to him about what could happen if Drea played her idol and what that could cause Maryanne to do, for a moment it seemed the light started to come on for him, but it dimmed back out. I don't know if it is because he is wanting to do things his way for his resume, or if things just don't register, or maybe it's both.

Last edited by a moderator:
PinkydaPimp said:

Drea and Maryanne like myself have watched survivor(and other reality shows) and seen sometimes where black contestants get perceived as "Aggressive" or "Deceitful" or an outsider or something else that often leads to them getting voted off many times early.  That's not saying they are being voted off because the other contestants are racist and Drea and Maryanne did not say that. 

Those in this thread saying "but the other contestants weren't white" or "this black contestant voted for another black contestant" that doesnt matter.  You can hold bias even if you are black or a POC.  You can function in a system with bias even if you are a person impacted by said system. You can have subconscious bias if you are black and maryanne even used herself as an example that she too has them.

They weren't saying the others were racists, just that bias' could have led to whats happening or them being perceived as being "aggressive" or in some other negative way which might lead to them leaving so they didn't want to chance it.  Yet Jonathan took it as if that was calling him a racist which interestingly enough was kind of the same reaction as many in this thread had. Which i also get and understand.  That comment effectively proved Drea's point though.  That doesn't mean however that was the reason they were targeted or that all the black contestants were voted out because of bias.  But to be honest we all live every day and have bias' and act on them. They don't have to even be racial bias'.

Also, note Drea didnt want to go there about this topic.  She answered "i don't know" many times when asked how she felt or what it meant that rocksroy was there until likely she had to go there.

Good episode and for those that hate the woke, its these situations which make a discussion point for many families and imo its important regardless of how you took it or whether you liked it or not. 

I can agree with a lot of this. Everyone has bias (Jonathan has mentioned this several times in regards to how he is viewed). I do believe that is a stretch to say it has played into this season though.

I thought the word racist was tossed out, by Maryanne I believe, and that it was referenced in that it had perhaps influenced voting without the other players being aware. Jonathan then commented which is a difficult convo to navigate and frankly dangerous for him to do.  Not trying to make it into some great thing he did but it is a reality. 

I did follow what Drea was saying I think (which is funny because she didn’t say much as opposed to Maryanne). She seemed like she regretted initiating this, not because it was a bad thing or that she was out of line, but because she didn’t want this to be the thing that the show focused on. At least that was my take.

I agree with you that the episode was good. It felt like closer to a legit conversation with people than a forced thing which is hard to do on a TV show with Jeff Probst being the moderator :lol:  I also agree with the sentiment that the show is more enjoyable when it’s “normal” Survivor with everyone tricking, backstabbing, fun competitions, the occasional idol, etc and not so much of these heavy convos. 

Jonathon trying a little too hard this week.  He's trying to show he can orchestrate moves other than just being a physical challenge beast.  I understand that but there is a time to lay low as well and let people/situations come to you.  

I think he actually may be lucky that TC took the turn it did this week.  When he told Maryanne he wanted to blindside Drea... oh man, thought it was only a matter of time that she'd blab to Drea (since they all do in today's Survivor) and he'd be on the outs.  The distraction may have helped him in that way. 

He's probably a dead man walking anyway.  No way the majority of the jury will give him the money. 

Interesting that RockRoy told Chanelle that Hye and Romeo (2 Asians, or one Latino, both LGBQ) got together and was the reason he was sitting with her.  Seemed like there was not much to do with race up to that point.  Then the speeches began.

Also the producers made sure that short exchange made it into the episode's edit.  

nysfl2 said:
You can only use the shot in the dark once during the game. I'm sure that Lyndsay could have used her shot in the dark, too, but didn't want to burn it on the 1-in-6 chance that Tori hit. 

Also, I have no idea what would have happened if everyone wound up with immunity, if they both hit.
The thing about Tori's shot in the dark is that she got the benefit of asking to play it AFTER she knew the tribe was going to vote her out, and it was practically official at that point. Normally, she plays it and doesn't vote, but she still doesn't know the outcome of the vote. Maybe she's in trouble, maybe not. To be able to take the shot in the dark when you know 99% sure it's you, that's pretty huge and had she "won", that could have been a problem for the show.

Race may not be part of the content we had seen on the show thus far, but we have seen it in episodes before (a "black" alliance, for example), and when I saw that the first two jury members are black, I took special notice. At that point, I thought it was 50/50 whether it'd come up, and I'm glad it did. I find Drea to be an independent, strategic thinker with some subtle leadership skills, and very smart. Does she think about racism all the time? No, but looking at the jury was triggering, and I found her extremely capable of leading a great discussion on the topic after. She didn't call anybody a racist, she was sharing thoughts, deep ones, on how the deck is stacked against black America. Annemarie said some things very well, and at times she surprises me, but I think she was riding the Drea train. And if I had to guess, she's learned how to do that - hitch a ride - her whole life because not many are getting on her train. Nice, well meaning person but not easy.

Race may not be part of the content we had seen on the show thus far, but we have seen it in episodes before (a "black" alliance, for example), and when I saw that the first two jury members are black, I took special notice. At that point, I thought it was 50/50 whether it'd come up, and I'm glad it did. I find Drea to be an independent, strategic thinker with some subtle leadership skills, and very smart. Does she think about racism all the time? No, but looking at the jury was triggering, and I found her extremely capable of leading a great discussion on the topic after. She didn't call anybody a racist, she was sharing thoughts, deep ones, on how the deck is stacked against black America. Annemarie said some things very well, and at times she surprises me, but I think she was riding the Drea train. And if I had to guess, she's learned how to do that - hitch a ride - her whole life because not many are getting on her train. Nice, well meaning person but not easy.

Drea strikes me as extremely smart, level headed, and very observant. She is an excellent player on this show. 

Drea strikes me as extremely smart, level headed, and very observant. She is an excellent player on this show. 
She is good. Last night she would have been better off I think just playing her idol and gaining info. Maryanne tossing her idol was unfortunate because she could have stolen it later.

I get her reaction based on the reasons she said - she did vote for both of those players though.

It’s a touchy situation. If there are say 5 black people left in a group with these alliances having happened on this show and other “vote out” shows like “Big Brother” how do players address that? 

The Big Brother “cookout” that crushed it one of the members even said this IIRC, something to the effect that the white players won’t be able to say anything aloud about what was becoming a pretty obvious alliance. 

She is good. Last night she would have been better off I think just playing her idol and gaining info. Maryanne tossing her idol was unfortunate because she could have stolen it later.

I get her reaction based on the reasons she said - she did vote for both of those players though.

Telling

The thing about Tori's shot in the dark is that she got the benefit of asking to play it AFTER she knew the tribe was going to vote her out, and it was practically official at that point. Normally, she plays it and doesn't vote, but she still doesn't know the outcome of the vote. Maybe she's in trouble, maybe not. To be able to take the shot in the dark when you know 99% sure it's you, that's pretty huge and had she "won", that could have been a problem for the show.
I did not think about that but you are correct.  They should have played tribal as normal.  Could have been a huge debacle for sure.

PinkydaPimp said:

Drea and Maryanne like myself have watched survivor(and other reality shows) and seen sometimes where black contestants get perceived as "Aggressive" or "Deceitful" or an outsider or something else that often leads to them getting voted off many times early.  That's not saying they are being voted off because the other contestants are racist and Drea and Maryanne did not say that. 

Those in this thread saying "but the other contestants weren't white" or "this black contestant voted for another black contestant" that doesnt matter.  You can hold bias even if you are black or a POC.  You can function in a system with bias even if you are a person impacted by said system. You can have subconscious bias if you are black and maryanne even used herself as an example that she too has them.

They weren't saying the others were racists, just that bias' could have led to whats happening or them being perceived as being "aggressive" or in some other negative way which might lead to them leaving so they didn't want to chance it.  Yet Jonathan took it as if that was calling him a racist which interestingly enough was kind of the same reaction as many in this thread had. Which i also get and understand.  That comment effectively proved Drea's point though.  That doesn't mean however that was the reason they were targeted or that all the black contestants were voted out because of bias.  But to be honest we all live every day and have bias' and act on them. They don't have to even be racial bias'.

Also, note Drea didnt want to go there about this topic.  She answered "i don't know" many times when asked how she felt or what it meant that rocksroy was there until likely she had to go there.

Good episode and for those that hate the woke, its these situations which make a discussion point for many families and imo its important regardless of how you took it or whether you liked it or not. 

had to come in and comment on this.....just watched it back....Drea said "don't act like I am being aggressive" (in kind of a turned around yelling at him aggressive way) before Jonathan said yes you are being aggressive....so DREA is the one that brought up the "aggressive" thing....NOT Jonathan....those words probably never come out of Jonathan's mouth if DREA doesn't lead him down that road....

had to come in and comment on this.....just watched it back....Drea said "don't act like I am being aggressive" before Jonathan said yes you are being aggressive....so DREA is the one that brought up the "aggressive" thing....NOT Jonathan....those words probably never come out of Jonathan's mouth if DREA doesn't lead him down that road....so that should help squash the people think black people are aggressive and thats why we get voted out card that is trying to be played as well...
Just because he doesn't say(or because she said the word first) it doesn't mean he may not have thought she was aggressive.  He literally admitted it(he could have said no), even in that moment when she wasn't being aggressive and was calmly talking.  That being perceived as aggressive is exactly what her concern/worry was. 

Just because he doesn't say(or because she said the word first) it doesn't mean he may not have thought she was aggressive.  He literally admitted it(he could have said no), even in that moment when she wasn't being aggressive and was calmly talking.  That being perceived as aggressive is exactly what her concern/worry was. 
so now you are assuming Jonathan "thought" she was aggressive before Drea brought it up?.....c'mon man...

and lol....she was not calmly saying that to him....watch it again....right after saying "#### that let's play"....Jonathan tries to start talking and she keeps cutting him off....and she turns around in a raised voice and out of NOWHERE says "don't act like I am being aggressive" ....(which is exactly what she was doing)....Jonathan even immediately says...."yes you are ...let's just all calm down".....he was trying to say his perspective after they unloaded their perspective and he kept getting cut off.....thats a fact....she was driving the bus down that aggressive road....it wasn't Jonathan...

I thought it was a good conversation between the two and both made good points.

When talking about race in a show where you vote people off as part of the competition and blocks of votes are power, and you then have a group saying their race means they will not vote each other off until they have to, well it’s kind of an impossible situation to navigate. 

I thought it was a good conversation between the two and both made good points.

When talking about race in a show where you vote people off as part of the competition and blocks of votes are power, and you then have a group saying their race means they will not vote each other off until they have to, well it’s kind of an impossible situation to navigate. 
correct...its something we accept....

"we don't want race to ever be an issue".....BUT we are going to go ahead and announce that we are going to use it and make it an issue and a big part of the game.....

one group can get away with saying and doing that....the other can't....

correct...its something we accept....

"we don't want race to ever be an issue".....but we are going to go ahead and and announce that we are going to use it and make it an issue and a big part of the game.....

one group can get away with saying and doing that....the other can't....
yea i mean its a tricky thing.  But its life.  We live in a world were race IS an issue.  So of course its likely going to show up in Survivor as well.  No one is perfect and they are navigating it as best they feel they can.  And tbh until its no longer an issue in real life, it will transcend the reality shows we watch.  It doesnt bother me.  In fact, i'm intrigued at how it comes up and how its handled.  I also dont expect everyone to handle it perfectly because noone is perfect. 

Side note, if you havent seen this(i think i posted this previously) its probably worth a watch if you are interested in hearing from other black survivor contestants about their experiences.  Its 2 hours FYI.

Black Voices of SURVIVOR Roundtable LIVE - June 24, 2020

so now you are assuming Jonathan "thought" she was aggressive before Drea brought it up?.....c'mon man...
I wasnt assuming he thought she was aggressive before(meaning back in camp) Drea brought it up.  He did at that time though.  Are you saying he only thought that after she said the word and not at any point prior?    My guess is during the convo he felt like they were coming at him and calling him racist(which wasnt the case) and that led to him feeling this way.  Its not a bad thing.  He shouldn't be chastised for it.  Id probably feel the same in his shoes.   

I dont think Dreas point was that they thought she was aggressive and thats why she was targeted.  She saw Rocksroy and was triggered and spoke her mind about what things may have been in her head(most likely a trend that has happened before).  I'm not seeing why folks are so triggered by this episode. 

I wasnt assuming he thought she was aggressive before(meaning back in camp) Drea brought it up.  He did at that time though.  Are you saying he only thought that after she said the word and not at any point prior?    My guess is during the convo he felt like they were coming at him and calling him racist(which wasnt the case) and that led to him feeling this way.  Its not a bad thing.  He shouldn't be chastised for it.  Id probably feel the same in his shoes.   

I dont think Dreas point was that they thought she was aggressive and thats why she was targeted.  She saw Rocksroy and was triggered and spoke her mind about what things may have been in her head(most likely a trend that has happened before).  I'm not seeing why folks are so triggered by this episode. 
you led off your post with Jonathan's comment and didn't include the context of Drea being the one who actually brought "aggressive" into the conversation in the first place....and then you doubled down by trying to say she was "calmly" talking to him....which she absolutely was not....she was being aggressive at the moment with her attitude and use of profanity as well as interrupting and talking over Jonathan and not allowing him to speak about his perspective like everyone had just let her and Maryanne do....

and then your post went on to talk about the idea of "blacks being aggressive" on the show in the past and how that attitude comes into play....Jonathan probably wouldn't have even said anything if Drea doesn't first say "don't act like I'm being aggressive" while in the middle of talking over him and interrupting him....you are putting the same spin on Jonathan that Drea was and was indicated by them immediately panning over to see Channel reaction after Jonathan repeated the word "aggressive"....like "oh my god....!!!!....did you hear that....did you hear that....did you hear what Jonathan just said"..."see we all told you, everybody thinks black people are aggressive and they hold it against us..."...Drea created that situation.....that is exactly the narrative they and you in your post were trying to sell....and I am simply saying Drea drove that bus....she was being aggressive, but all anybody wants to walk away from it saying is "see Jonathan is just like everybody else, he thinks blacks are aggressive"....and I'm simply saying thats not the case, and it's unfortunate Drea created that situation and put Jonathan in it....

my point is he said "you are being aggressive" after she said "don't act like I'm being aggressive"....when she was being aggressive....she was not calmly taking to him....so the spin of "black people are aggressive" is something she created here....not Jonathan by accurately describing what she tried to say she wasn't doing....Channel's reaction was like "there we caught you, now we have something to throw you under the bus with....you said she was being aggressive"....people get triggered because of the false narrative that was trying to be perpetuated...which your post was seeming to support...

you led off your post with Jonathan's comment and didn't include of Drea being the one who actually brought "aggressive" into the conversation in the first place....and then doubled down by trying to say she was "calmly" talking to him....which she absolutely was not....she was being aggressive at the moment with her attitude and use of profanity as well as interrupting and talking over Jonathan and not allowing him to speak about his perspective like everyone had just let her and Maryanne do....

and then your post went on to talk about the idea of "blacks being aggressive" on the show in the past and how that attitude comes into play....Jonathan probably wouldn't have even said anything if Drea doesn't first say "don't act like I'm being aggressive" while in the middle of talking over him and interrupting him....you are putting the same spin on Jonathan that Drea was and was indicated by them immediately panning over to see Channel reaction after Jonathan repeated the word "aggressive"....like "oh my god....!!!!....did you hear that....did you hear that....did you hear what Jonathan just said"..."see we all told you, everybody thinks black people are aggressive and they hold it against us..."created that situation."....that is exactly the narrative they and you in your post were trying to sell....and I am simply saying Drea drove that bus....she was being aggressive, but we all anybody wants to walk away from it saying is "see Jonathan is just like everybody else, he thinks blacks are aggressive"....and I'm simply saying thats not the case, and it's unfortunate Drea created that situation and put Jonathan in it....

my point is he said "you are being aggressive" after she said "don't act like I'm being aggressive"....when she was being aggressive....she was not calmly taking to him....so the spin of "black people are aggressive" is something she created here....not Jonathan by accurately describing what she tried to say she wasn't doing....Channel's reaction was like "there we caught you, now we have something to throw you under the bus with....you said she was being aggressive"....people get triggered because of the false narrative that was trying to be perpetuated...which your post was seeming to support...
you do realize the show is edited, correct?

is it racist for black people on the show to say I don't like seeing black people already on the jury so I am not writing down another another black person's name until I have too....or do we say it's ok to say/do that because they are standing up for something and are "tired of it" and "over it"....so it's not really "racist" its "just how they feel" and what they feel "they need to do" so its ok....asking for a friend...

its hard to understand turning around and doing exactly what you were complaining about....seems counter productive and hypocritical...and perpetuating the problem instead of helping solve it...

and then you doubled down by trying to say she was "calmly" talking to him....which she absolutely was not.
we will have to agree to disagree.  I felt she was extremely calm even when she cursed which was amazing to me.  In fact she didnt even want to get into this convo from the start.  Likely the producers asked her over and over until she had to.  She even strategized with Jonathan while talking about it when they discussed who to put the vote on. 

she was being aggressive, but we all anybody wants to walk away from it saying is "see Jonathan is just like everybody else, he thinks blacks are aggressive".
No one said Jonathan thinks "blacks are aggressive" so don't do that first of all.  Jonathan said "Drea" was being aggressive.   Which i disagree with but hey if that's his and your perception then thats fine.  He only was interrupted when he misinterpreted the conversation like you are doing as if they were calling him racist and they clarified that they were not.  

The implication that the previous people were voted out because of race even subliminally is going to push some buttons I think.

The implication that the previous people were voted out because of race even subliminally is going to push some buttons I think.
and then also (and maybe more so)..... two people who were getting ready to vote someone out basically admitting and openly saying that because of that they are now going to vote based on race themselves.....

we will have to agree to disagree.  I felt she was extremely calm even when she cursed which was amazing to me.  In fact she didnt even want to get into this convo from the start.  Likely the producers asked her over and over until she had to.  She even strategized with Jonathan while talking about it when they discussed who to put the vote on. 

No one said Jonathan thinks "blacks are aggressive" so don't do that first of all.  Jonathan said "Drea" was being aggressive.   Which i disagree with but hey if that's his and your perception then thats fine.  He only was interrupted when he misinterpreted the conversation like you are doing as if they were calling him racist and they clarified that they were not.  
the implication was most certainly there.....not everything needs to be said or verbalized...Channels reaction said it all....

i do get it.  I dont think Jonathan did a bad thing or is a bad person.  He didnt do anything wrong.  He said what he felt.    I like his character.  Probably he could have just listened and empathized more instead of being so defensive because they werent saying he was racist.  

and then also (and maybe more so)..... two people who were getting ready to vote someone out basically admitting and openly saying that because of that they are now going to vote based on race themselves.....
do you keep this same energy when there are all guy or girl alliances? 

the implication was most certainly there.....not everything needs to be said or verbalized...Channels reaction said it all....
again we agree to disagree.  i dont recall seeing this implied at all. Can you tell me what they said that led you to believe they were?  

Maybe folks in the internet are implying it but i havent nor do i believe they did on the show. 

@PinkydaPimp   and if you don't think Drea was "aggressive" .....why did she need to say anything about it to begin with.....?....
she was worried she was being perceived as such.  Being worried about this makes her aggressive?  look we arent going to agree on this but i dont see how you watch drea handle that tribal and take away from it "man shes aggressive."  But hey, thats just me. 

i do get it.  I dont think Jonathan did a bad thing or is a bad person.  He didnt do anything wrong.  He said what he felt.    I like his character.  Probably he could have just listened and empathized more instead of being so defensive because they werent saying he was racist.  
Yeah. I don’t think either of them did anything wrong (except Maryanne’s odd game move) and thought it could have gone south quickly but they explained themselves well (Maryanne again a bit hard to follow). 

Another factor in the “aggressive” perception, is the difference between men and women.  What is perceived as aggression is interpreted WAY differently by each. 

again we agree to disagree.  i dont recall seeing this implied at all. Can you tell me what they said that led you to believe they were?  

Maybe folks in the internet are implying it but i havent nor do i believe they did on the show. 
as soon as the words "you are being aggressive" came out of Jonathan's mouth (in response to Drea bringing it up) Channel's reaction said it ALL....c'mon man, you know exactly what I am talking about....we all saw it...nothing was actually said....except that later Lindsey had to make sure she said something about her "not being aggressive" ....which also kind of threw Jonathan under the bus, even though she was referring to her what she was saying overall not that specific interaction between Drea and Jonathan...watch Channels's reaction again and tell me honestly again if you don't understand...

she was worried she was being perceived as such.  Being worried about this makes her aggressive?  look we arent going to agree on this but i dont see how you watch drea handle that tribal and take away from it "man shes aggressive."  But hey, thats just me. 
why was she worried about being perceived that way if she was acting "calmly" the whole time....?

TBH....I actually thought she handled herself very well overall....very well....but at that particular moment she was being fairly aggressive so I can see why she felt that she might be perceived that way....and Jonathan confirmed her perception was accurate...she drops the "#### it lets play" comment which is kind of a Billy Bad A$$ statement and the way she says it....then she turns and doesn't let him finish what he is trying to say, talks over him, etc....

I think she is an excellent player and going in was one of my picks to win....but she set Jonathan up by saying that and Channel's reaction is all you need to see considering the blacks being aggressive thing has come up before...

I think it all blows over eventually but just kinda sucks to see the race thing have to come up....especially when people are riding both sides of the fence on it....

do you keep this same energy when there are all guy or girl alliances? 
if someone basically stands up on a table and pounds their chest complaining about something and says they don't want to perpetuate the problem.....and then turns around and does it themselves....they should be called out on it...

One of the More amazing thing to me is that no one has beaten the #### out of someone on this show. They are all starved, sleep deprived, and wet.

Jeff Probst with his commentary during one of those competitions directing my way like “the Blue team has given up…you got to WANT IT…look at The General he’s given up”

Look you MF’er you have fed me a cup of rice for 2 weeks and I have to watch some scrub on my team trying to put together some puzzle they are sucking at  for the chance to eat a hot dog. I’d seriously might kill him. 

One of the More amazing thing to me is that no one has beaten the #### out of someone on this show. They are all starved, sleep deprived, and wet.

Jeff Probst with his commentary during one of those competitions directing my way like “the Blue team has given up…you got to WANT IT…look at The General he’s given up”

Look you MF’er you have fed me a cup of rice for 2 weeks and I have to watch some scrub on my team trying to put together some puzzle they are sucking at  for the chance to eat a hot dog. I’d seriously might kill him. 

A dude did choke out another guy in one of the 'no holds barred' challenges a few years ago... then they started barring holds lol

A dude did choke out another guy in one of the 'no holds barred' challenges a few years ago... then they started barring holds lol
Was this in one of those things were they basically set them up to murder each other in a comp? Like they had to try and drag each other out of a painted area or something. I had forgotten about those.

Yeah they def gotten away from that...although watching Jonathan throw that rail thin #####y guy with the bad haircut like a javelin would be must watch TV :lol:

Was this in one of those things were they basically set them up to murder each other in a comp? Like they had to try and drag each other out of a painted area or something. I had forgotten about those.

Yeah they def gotten away from that...although watching Jonathan throw that rail thin #####y guy with the bad haircut like a javelin would be must watch TV :lol:
Yeah the challenge where they had to cross a narrow floating bridge from opposite sides, and there was like a 3-foot section in the middle that was the "battle zone" where the players could fight it out and knock the other off to get the point. One dude just grabbed the other by the neck, choked him out, then threw him off the side into the water. Jeff DQ's him for having one foot out of the battle zone when he did it. Not for the attempted murder part.  

Yeah the challenge where they had to cross a narrow floating bridge from opposite sides, and there was like a 3-foot section in the middle that was the "battle zone" where the players could fight it out and knock the other off to get the point. One dude just grabbed the other by the neck, choked him out, then threw him off the side into the water. Jeff DQ's him for having one foot out of the battle zone when he did it. Not for the attempted murder part.  
:lol:  I don't remember this. That was a poorly thought out comp.

Btw the racial tension overshadowed how ridiculous that challenge was.  I'm stunned those 3 were able to stay on as long as they did.

Users who are viewing this thread