What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tavon Austin - Upside (1 Viewer)

Last week was Fools gold. They just don't make a effort to get him the ball enough

Last edited by a moderator:
he is definitely more interesting in dynasty... the importance of the breakout was in showing his physical ability and talent may be more refractory to long term bustdom than some surmised... some people were pulling the plug on justin hunter after a few games, AJ green and julio jones have spoiled some fantasy owners in recent years...

but redraft was the question...

another thing the breakout did was show what austin could do if (like lyon correctly said)...

1 - penalties don't erase his big plays from scrimmage and ST

2 - he doesn't drop the ball

3 - schotty finally calls some creative (competent) routes that were more advanced than circa knute rockne... mix in some deep and crossing routes, instead of the run one yard and squat variety "patterns"...

people might want to ask themselves, if they are summarily dismissing him, if you were the HC and OC, and your prized rookie just had one of the three best multiple long TD games in league history for a rookie or vet, in the last six games, would you...

throw the ball to him less, the same, or possibly a bit more?

that said, i wouldn't blow up the team to get him in redraft...

he is definitely more interesting in dynasty... the importance of the breakout was in showing his physical ability and talent may be more refractory to long term bustdom than some surmised... some people were pulling the plug on justin hunter after a few games, AJ green and julio jones have spoiled some fantasy owners in recent years...

but redraft was the question...

another thing the breakout did was show what austin could do if (like lyon correctly said)...

1 - penalties don't erase his big plays from scrimmage and ST

2 - he doesn't drop the ball

3 - schotty finally calls some creative (competent) routes that were more advanced than circa knute rockne... mix in some deep and crossing routes, instead of the run one yard and squat variety "patterns"...

people might want to ask themselves, if they are summarily dismissing him, if you were the HC and OC, and your prized rookie just had one of the three best multiple long TD games in league history for a rookie or vet, in the last six games, would you...

throw the ball to him less, the same, or possibly a bit more?

that said, i wouldn't blow up the team to get him in redraft...
He's on many waiver wires, and the question for me is do I go our and get him with a high wiaver bid/priority if I still have it?

Not sure he breaks my roster, but if anything at this point in time, it keeps him off another players roster if he does explode.

With playoffs 3 weeks away there is little time for breakout players, and not a lot of handcuffs I see out there that would crack the lineup if a starter went down.

Might be worth a pickup in many leagues for this reason. Especially when people are dumping their bye week pickups like extra defenses or extra tight ends that are no longer necessary.

I'll probably stash him just so no one else can, but I won't blow a high waiver on him, especially since he won't crack my lineup.

Looked special on the punt return, but not the 2 receptions. Chris Givens would have easily done the same things on the receptions. Outran the corner on the 57-yarder. Something Givens has already done many times before. Ran a pick play with a simple crossing route on the 81-yarder, made one guy miss. Didn't have to do anything special other than run really fast.
was the 65 yard TD against the bears another case of nothing special other than running really fast?

cross-posted from the other austin thread...

austin with his fourth 50+ yard TD in past two games*.

has he even been touched on any of them?

with the 65 yard rushing TD against the bears on his first touch, that made a 50+ yard score on three consecutive offensive touches (including his two against IND two weeks ago, before the bye - not counting his first score, the 98 yard punt return score in the second quarter of that game)...

for the historians/statisticians, how common is it to do those two things?

* not sure if gales sayers is the only other player to do that in league history?

not sure about the three consecutive offensive touches one?

Looked special on the punt return, but not the 2 receptions. Chris Givens would have easily done the same things on the receptions. Outran the corner on the 57-yarder. Something Givens has already done many times before. Ran a pick play with a simple crossing route on the 81-yarder, made one guy miss. Didn't have to do anything special other than run really fast.
was the 65 yard TD against the bears another case of nothing special other than running really fast?

with the 65 yard rushing TD against the bears on his first touch, that made a 50+ yard score on three consecutive offensive touches (including his two against IND two weeks ago, before the bye - not counting his first score, the 98 yard punt return score in the second quarter of that game)...

* not sure if gales sayers is the only other player to do that in league history?

Watch the play again: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/0ap2000000286456/WK-12-Can-t-Miss-Play-Tavon-turns-it-up

How many defenders did he make miss? Zero. He wasn't touched because of 2 great blindside blocks.

Watch the play again: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/0ap2000000286456/WK-12-Can-t-Miss-Play-Tavon-turns-it-up

How many defenders did he make miss? Zero. He wasn't touched because of 2 great blindside blocks.
but than the onus is on you to explain, if running really fast was all there was to it... how come there aren't a bunch of really fast dudes in NFL history that had consecutive games with a combined four 50+ yard TDs...

if he continues to have long scores, at some point, are you going to stop saying it was because he is really fast?

i saw the highlight, but imo what you don't see is as revealing as what you do (same as last week)... you neglected to mention that his instant stop/start reversal at the beginning, faked out an UNBLOCKED #99 (mcclellin?), who was tasked with contain, out of his jock... he sold the fake so well, most of the CHI defense was flowing the wrong way from the misdirection (a big reason he was able to get a TD down the opposite sideline of the fake, when more defenders should have had the angle)...

after the initial fake, he gets up to near full speed in about three strides (that isn't easy, don't try that at home)...

after given's block/screen of two defenders, he exploded out of his cut, showing not just speed, but electric suddenness, burst, short area quickness and accelleration out of his cut...

* was the oklahoma game special? or was that also just a case of running really fast? :) and again, if that is all it was, college has seen a lot of really fast dudes... how come dozens haven't racked up nearly 600 all purpose yards (and nearly broken the NCAA record for a game) against oklahoma over the years?

but than the onus is on you to explain, if running really fast was all there was to it... how come there aren't a bunch of really fast dudes in NFL history that had consecutive games with a combined four 50+ yard TDs...

if he continues to have long scores, at some point, are you going to stop saying it was because he is really fast?

i saw the highlight, but imo what you don't see is as revealing as what you do (same as last week)... you neglected to mention that his instant stop/start reversal at the beginning, faked out an UNBLOCKED #99 (mcclellin?), who was tasked with contain, out of his jock... he sold the fake so well, most of the CHI defense was flowing the wrong way from the misdirection (a big reason he was able to get a TD down the opposite sideline of the fake, when more defenders should have had the angle)...

after the initial fake, he gets up to near full speed in about three strides (that isn't easy, don't try that at home)...

after given's block/screen of two defenders, he exploded out of his cut, showing not just speed, but electric suddenness, burst, short area quickness and accelleration out of his cut...

* was the oklahoma game special? or was that also just a case of running really fast? :) and again, if that is all it was, college has seen a lot of really fast dudes... how come dozens haven't racked up nearly 600 all purpose yards (and nearly broken the NCAA record for a game) against oklahoma over the years?
I'm sure Gale Sayers would still be the same player we think he is without his 50+ yard plays. Is Austin's recent achievements a predictor of future success? That's the better question. Or is it just trivia facts that's nice to know?

McClellin was 5 yards away. He and the rest of the defense was faked out by the playcall. And even if McClellin didn't get "faked" there was Kendricks right there to block him.

One defender did have an angle. He didn't see Pettis come take him out.

Does breaking records predict success? Or is just more trivia info? Or is it trivial?

so if a player you like fakes the defense out... It was your player that did it.

but if a player who is nothing special and just runs really fast fakes the defense out... It was the playcall that did it? that is a creative way to dismiss a player and bolster your initial take.

mcclellin was five yards away... defenders do sometimes make plays from five yards away... if austin hadn't ""faked"" mcclellin, he could have gotten in front of kendricks, who was still at least five yards away at the time austin executed the spin reversal... or if austin (not the playcall) hadn't faked mcclellin out of his jock, maybe he could have been in better position to disengage from the block, force the play inside or otherwise disrupt how the play was drawn up, austin's angles and the timing of the play for the downfield blockers...

not taking anything away from the work of givens and pettis blocking, it was outstanding and they were instrumental in making austin look good... but you are pretending he didn't play an integral role in making them look good by executing and getting a TD for the payoff...

you still aren't really addressing some of the questions, though... rather than answer them, you obscure the fact that you haven't answered them with the dismissive, too cool for school, trivial labelling of the question itself... kind of like dismissing austin's game, overall talent and playmaking ability, by an exclusionary collapsing of all his traits and attributes into zippy sloganeering ("just runs really fast")... dismissal and extreme reductionism seem to be popular, go to strategies for you.

if what he was doing was so easy, and you just have to "run really fast", wouldn't you expect to see it all the time? was the Oklahoma game a case of just running really fast?

aren't a lot of NFL WRs "really fast"? if it was so easy, how come a lot of WRs never have four 50+ yard TDs in a CAREER (let alone in the span of two games)! that should be trivially easy for you to answer. :)

so you don't see special suddenness, burst, acceleration and short area quickness , besides speed (being at full speed in three strides)?

again, if he keeps getting 50+ yard scores... at what point do you stop saying he just runs really fast?

Right. That's like saying "That guy isn't any good at pool. All he makes are easy shots." Excepts he makes sure he has easy shots by playing the leaves perfectly.

How many did Tavon make miss? How many did he let get close enough to miss?

Why in the heck do they give him so few touches?
One reason is because they now have a legit running game. And they know that a key to their success is limiting the opposing offensive snaps by keeping them off the field. That, and I'm still not entirely sure the coaching staff knows how to get him a big play a game. They have the last two games, but we don't know if that will continue. If it does next week against San Fran, some folks are going to need to be looking at this guy a little differently. Me, as a Tavon owner, I'm still keeping him on the bench even this week. If he does it again (and I make the playoffs with a big game by Morris tonight), I might start him the week after.

Considering draft position the Rams have the most embarrasing WR corps in the league. Austin- Givins- Bailey don't have the body types to be #1 WRs. Austin is a great returner, but I'm just talking about him as a reciever. You can't build a offense around Quick. You paid Cook to not use him, and he has butter fingers.

I don't like any of these guys FF future assumimg the Rams are in the market for a big/physical reciever in the draft, unless it's Austin for kick/punt returns.

Considering draft position the Rams have the most embarrasing WR corps in the league. Austin- Givins- Bailey don't have the body types to be #1 WRs. Austin is a great returner, but I'm just talking about him as a reciever. You can't build a offense around Quick. You paid Cook to not use him, and he has butter fingers.

I don't like any of these guys FF future assumimg the Rams are in the market for a big/physical reciever in the draft, unless it's Austin for kick/punt returns.
Call me crazy, but Quick, Austin, and Bailey in 3WR sets sounds like money.

Keep your eyes on Bailey, imo.

I'm just going to be a troll from now on.

I'm not on the Austin fantasy bandwagon, but this "analysis" is pointless. You can do this same thing to 99% of the players in the NFL. Meaningless.
You missed my point... I would love to hear how you thoroughly did the same for 99% of the players in the NFL. Save me some time and PM me when you're done.
Your thesis statement was "Austin is a dime a dozen in the NFL."You supported that thesis by comparing size, combine numbers and college stats.

My contention is that you can find many comparable players (using those variables) that were fantasy and/or NFL failures for most any existing player. My further contention is that that analysis is meaningless.
Then why bother having a combine? What else do you guys suggest that we should to do with all of this public data, write a song? No, you turn it into something useful. If it didn't matter then what happened to Keenan Allan? Let me see you do the same for Calvin Johnson or Adrian Peterson and tell me how many flops you come up with.There's guys who's tape I like that had horrible combines like Jarvis Jones, Keenan Allen and Monte Ball. Stats and combines are not the end all be all to scouting, but I like to have as much info as I can get to have a clear picture of how he may or may not translate to the NFL. What I wanted to point out is that his production will likley depend on his situation and he isn't a scarce commodity like he's being touted as. There is Tavon Austin types on your waiver wire or wont even make a NFL roster. Everyone is saying things like "he has elite speed or whatever." A lot of players that you don't care about for dynasty have the same tools as Austin and could excel in the right situation. None of them can carry a offense. If so, why are you not all over Aldrick Robinson and Jarious Wright? How come you likely never heard of Kashif Moore? Why not just trade for Hilton or Jackson (where I put his upside for the sake of the thread) and add pieces? I got my answer: he's elite, awesome, super fast , great moves, elite vision, runs wicked routs, you can't tackle him(even though players are probably not in pads right now), was drafted high and is going to be the next Percy Harvin ect.. I went that rout because mentioning McCluster was rejected because of a 40x(but numbers don't matter). Yet, a clip of McCluster was shown where he ran for 2 million yards in one game as a WR/RB/KR and he's not even comparable. Now players that are extremely identical doesn't sit well either. I change my thinking on this site a lot, I'm one of the few that do, but the only good criticism I recieved had to do with grammar.

Jackson is the closest player I can think of, with all things considered. A small/fast/agile gimick WR that will have his moments, followed by a bunch of disapointments depending on QB play. There's a ton of hype driving Austin's value right now. History says flip him before he breaks down or disappoints. If you don't think so then cool. You have the next Percy Harvin on your Dynasty team for the next decade. Just know history says you're comparing a horse to a gimmick.
:goodposting: I still don't see Austin as a #1 WR in the league. I wonder if the Rams sign/draft a receiver with size to free up space for these little guys.

There is Tavon Austin types on your waiver wire or wont even make a NFL roster.
Sometimes I wonder if people have bothered to watch him play. Tavon Austin 'types'...

Call me crazy, but Quick, Austin, and Bailey in 3WR sets sounds like money.

Keep your eyes on Bailey, imo.
People love to blame the receivers but with that OL and Clemens at QB after week 7 what did anyone expect them to do? On top of that all those receivers were first or second year players. Austin can be used all over the field and Bailey can be a very good possession receiver. They do need either Quick or Givens to come through as a deep threat but the receivers aren't the biggest concern for the offense.

Here are some small receivers who have done well within 10 lbs. of Austin (5-8.5, 176, 4.33):

Marvin Harrison (6-0, 175, 4.49)

Wes Welker (5-9, 185, 4.61)

Steve Smith (5-9, 185, 4.45)

Santana Moss (5-9.5, 181, 4.31)

DeSean Jackson (5.9.6, 169, 4.35)

Terance Mathis (5-10, 177) - four 1000+ yard seasons

Question for the Austin doubters - what does he lack that these guys didn't? I find it hard to believe that .5 to 1 inch and a few pounds on a guy with such tremendous talent could mean he can't be like these guys.

Tavon Austin wants to bulk up a little
by Larry Hartstein | CBSSports.com
(12/30/2013) The Rams' Tavon Austin ended his rookie season with 40 catches for 418 yards and four touchdown as a receiver. He added two scores as a returner and rusher. Entering the offseason, the 5-8, 176-pounder wants to bulk up a little."I want to put on a couple more pounds, definitely not lose some speed," Austin told the team's website.

Call me crazy, but Quick, Austin, and Bailey in 3WR sets sounds like money.Keep your eyes on Bailey, imo.
People love to blame the receivers but with that OL and Clemens at QB after week 7 what did anyone expect them to do? On top of that all those receivers were first or second year players. Austin can be used all over the field and Bailey can be a very good possession receiver. They do need either Quick or Givens to come through as a deep threat but the receivers aren't the biggest concern for the offense.
Bailey can be a very good receiver, period, and can be used all over. Bailey was targeted farther downfield than Austin.

You're going to have to define "possession" receiver for me.

There is Tavon Austin types on your waiver wire or wont even make a NFL roster.
Sometimes I wonder if people have bothered to watch him play. Tavon Austin 'types'...
Don't get emotional. That was just a decent post with solid FF advise.
From someone who does not watch football it may be great advice. The fantasy football community is starting to bother me with their way of thinking. Youth and "what have you done lately" is all that matters. We wonder why we constantly see people crying about the bad moves they make on this site. A lot of hype and very little knowledge going around it seems. Seven years ago you had people who understood the fantasy game and would let their eyes do the work, now you have people just reading Rotoworld and the hype here and taking what they say as gospel and calling it a day.

The real sharks now are the people who don't follow they hype and do the unpopular things to great results. I remember before TRich was drafted, I said Lacy would be a better bet in the NFL in my fantasy circles and was laughed at to no end. I didn't follow the hype of Trent and the hate of Lacy, it's amazing what your eyes can do for you.

Austin is explosive and should be getting the so called hype Patterson is. He is not, so Austin supporters use it to your advantage. Some say Bailey is better than Austin for goodness sake. They came to that Bailey conclusion after he played way fewer games in the NFL and was drafted in the 3rd and Austin in the 1st because his talent was that much better through college, the combine, pro days, draft day, OTAs, training camp and until Austin hurt his foot. While draft spot isn't indicative of performance, it sure is after one year when Bailey played sparingly and Austin showed his upside. I have both over a few leagues in full disclosure.

Call me crazy, but Quick, Austin, and Bailey in 3WR sets sounds like money.Keep your eyes on Bailey, imo.
Bailey can be a very good receiver, period, and can be used all over. Bailey was targeted farther downfield than Austin.

That wasn't a knock on Bailey, I like him quite a bit. However, I don't see him as a big play guy - somewhere in between Golden Tate and Kendall Wright.

That wasn't a knock on Bailey, I like him quite a bit. However, I don't see him as a big play guy - somewhere in between Golden Tate and Kendall Wright.
I too like Bailey and believe they have intentions of using them both on the field quite a bit due to the chemistry they have on the field and running routes (don't underestimate that value). Austin is EXPLOSIVE AND UNDERVALUED. No way around it. Bailey may prove to be a good player even he has good upside being taken in the 3rd, but to compare him to Austin in total upside is ludacrist.

I keep hearing that if they use him as a slot receiver in the NFC West, opposing defenses are going to eat him for lunch, due to his size. I could be wrong, but it depends on how the Rams use him.
Nice idea in theory. Tavon Austin is one of the five fastest players in the league, but he's quicker than he is fast. I don't think he has an equal in lateral movement. The rams aren't going to just line him up. Teams will have to account for him, I'd be shocked if wasn't put in motion.

Tavon Austin doesn't have a comparison that really fits. I see Ted Ginn, but they couldn't be in different as far as what they do. Ginn could return kicks, and run a 9 route. Catching optional. Tavon Austin can do the things that Ginn could, but Ginn cannot do the things Austin can. Ginn didn't have the quickness in his agility that Austin has.

Tavon Austin isn't a guy who you'd line up outside to run a 9 route all game. Something that gets lost because of his size/speed/quickness is that he idolizes Wes Welker and is constantly refining his route running. He wants to be great. Saying that, he'll take his bumps in the slot, but he's going to win his fair share.

Elite slot skills/3rd down back/Punt Returner/Kick returner/9 route capable.

The closest comparison isn't a player, but a mold of player. The NFL has evolved into a space game. Percy Harvin, Randall Cobb, and Darren Sproles are the epitome of the space player. None will ever lead the league in receptions, receiving yards or TD's, but there accumulative yardage from other facets of the game will more than make up for it. Tavon Austin is a new breed in the new space game that the NFL has become. He's also the ultimate movable chess piece.

And to those that question his size, remember that he's 5 pounds lighter than DeSean Jackson, but two inches shorter. He's not thin, he's built well. He's also played running back and receiver and never missed as much as a practice game at High School or at West Virginia.
This.

I keep hearing that if they use him as a slot receiver in the NFC West, opposing defenses are going to eat him for lunch, due to his size. I could be wrong, but it depends on how the Rams use him.
Nice idea in theory. Tavon Austin is one of the five fastest players in the league, but he's quicker than he is fast. I don't think he has an equal in lateral movement. The rams aren't going to just line him up. Teams will have to account for him, I'd be shocked if wasn't put in motion.

Tavon Austin doesn't have a comparison that really fits. I see Ted Ginn, but they couldn't be in different as far as what they do. Ginn could return kicks, and run a 9 route. Catching optional. Tavon Austin can do the things that Ginn could, but Ginn cannot do the things Austin can. Ginn didn't have the quickness in his agility that Austin has.

Tavon Austin isn't a guy who you'd line up outside to run a 9 route all game. Something that gets lost because of his size/speed/quickness is that he idolizes Wes Welker and is constantly refining his route running. He wants to be great. Saying that, he'll take his bumps in the slot, but he's going to win his fair share.

Elite slot skills/3rd down back/Punt Returner/Kick returner/9 route capable.

The closest comparison isn't a player, but a mold of player. The NFL has evolved into a space game. Percy Harvin, Randall Cobb, and Darren Sproles are the epitome of the space player. None will ever lead the league in receptions, receiving yards or TD's, but there accumulative yardage from other facets of the game will more than make up for it. Tavon Austin is a new breed in the new space game that the NFL has become. He's also the ultimate movable chess piece.

And to those that question his size, remember that he's 5 pounds lighter than DeSean Jackson, but two inches shorter. He's not thin, he's built well. He's also played running back and receiver and never missed as much as a practice game at High School or at West Virginia.
This.
If I were to compare him, I would say a better version of Kendall Wright but a notch below Harvin as far as his style and talent.

I don't know that Austin merited the 8th pick on his offensive potential alone. When you factor in his return ability, it significantly increases his value and thus made him a higher pick. Look at Devin Hester. He went in the second round and his main strength was returning, albeit, he was a uber blue chip returner in college. He's never made a significant contribution as a position player. My point, I don't think Austin is worth an 8 pick in the scheme of things on offensive prowess.

I really think those expecting him to perform as such are missing this evaluation. Plus, the college game is vastly different than the pro game schematically. Spinks is very correct in saying the NFL is valuing the space game but you have to have requisite power before speed and quickness are relevant. Blocking comes first and the skill accentuates the offense. Not the other way around. The big guys come first and the little guys have to prove they can play.

Digressing a bit.

I don't see Austin as a guy who can break a tackle. He's not 180 even. This is going to limit him. Regardless, he'll be valuable offensively given time, scheme, and supporting cast. I don't think he wins you a FF championship as the cornerstone ever either.

Utilization wise, I'd love to see him in a hybrid type role in an offense like the Saints where he could again have similar function to that of a mesh of Lance Moore and Darren Sproles.

He's be great in the Amendola/Edelman role in NE.

Dexter McCluster went in the second round.

Steve Smith started as a returner. He's also aerially superior to Austin though.

Limitations I see to productivity are an inability to truly absorb sustained, plentiful contact and craft development as a receiver.

Cobb and Harvin get some carries but I don't see this as a bread and butter for Austin. None of these guys are going to be able to pass block to be even a 3rd down RB. Reverses, misdirections, end arounds, sure.

Motion and complexity in the offense also have to be there. You can't line him up as the I back in a power formation and run him between the tackles. Payton and Bellicheck would do wonders with him because you'd never be sure of his function on the play and about the time you'd figure out a guess as to one of 4 options, there's be a shift in the formation and you're back to square one with a 4.2 guy with moves like Barry Sanders.

I'm not sure Fisher, who primarily leaned on a power run game in Tennessee, knows how or will utilize Austin to his full potential. Ironically, lots of the grumblings I heard coming from Rams fans was about the play calling and lack of creativity in utiilzing their intriguing talent.

My stream of consciousness.

Whenever I see negative comments about Austin I just click this video here

Then I just say "That was only his rookie year, mostly with Kellen Clemens." Then I feel better and realize people doubting his ability forget people whose life is devoted to this game drafted him at 1.8 for a reason and see the same ability.

The thing is Austin is quick fast and elusive....on tape you see a special teams and gadget player. Then go watch Bailey and you will see a pure wide receiver. Great Hands, body control and football player finesse. In terms of the wide receiver position, IMO Bailey will have the better career. There is a reason Bailey average nearly 4 yards a catch more than Austin over the course of their college careers.

Then I just say "That was only his rookie year, mostly with Kellen Clemens." Then I feel better and realize people doubting his ability forget people whose life is devoted to this game drafted him at 1.8 for a reason and see the same ability.
I really like the fake reverse play @ 2:10

Rams coaches need to be more creative with him like they were on this play.

I don't watch highlights. I seen the actual games :) that's a part of the problem.

I don't watch highlights. I seen the actual games :) that's a part of the problem.
Where do you think they get the highlights from? Your dislike for him is noted.

The take the "highs" of his career and get people like you to believe they have an educated opinion all within 3 minutes. Please quote where I said I disliked him. Disliking a player and attempting to put a player in the proper context are two different things.

At 3:02 is the TD against the Panthers that was called back for holding.

The take the "highs" of his career and get people like you to believe they have an educated opinion all within 3 minutes.Please quote where I said I disliked him. Disliking a player and attempting to put a player in the proper context are two different things.
:sleep:

The take the "highs" of his career and get people like you to believe they have an educated opinion all within 3 minutes.Please quote where I said I disliked him. Disliking a player and attempting to put a player in the proper context are two different things.
:sleep:
Best post I've seen you make

Bailey reminds me a lot of Derrick Mason.

Stedmon Bailey is a great blocker as well. The more he plays the better the odds of Austin breaking a big play because of Bailey's blocking, timing and chemistry playing with Austin. There are likely situations where they can catch the defense in a bad situation where one key block means an explosive play for Austin. And plays to set that situation up.

The Rams were throwing the ball too much in the 1st 4 weeks of the season. For better or worse with Bradford back as the starter I expect the Rams to open up the passing game a lot more. Like they were trying to do early in the 2013 season.

Improved blocking on the outside will lead to bigger plays. Cook is a bit of a hole in that area. I don't think the Rams will play the FB as much with Bradford at QB as they did with Clemons.

Attesting to my post, I'm not knocking Austin at all. I think he has an amazing and one of a kind skill set. However, some of my points alluded to he'll have a long way to go to be a Marvin Harrison or Steve Smith on offense and his overall value to an actual NFL team is greatly augmented by his return skills. Were he not a returner, maybe he goes later 1st. Then again, I'm not a front office exec either.

The best barometric, physical prowess comparison I can think of is this guy:

http://www.nfl.com/player/dantehall/2504165/careerstats

If you compare Hall's apex on offense in 2003, you'll find them nearly identical to Austin's rookie year stats. 40 catches. 10 ypc. So Hall's offensive ceiling is Austin's floor. Obviously, Austin may have more WR skill and craftsmanship, so there is obvious room to grow. That told, they have similar physical dimensions.

Hall was the "Human Joystick" and rarely took a hit. Phenomenally fast and elusive but not physical or a tackle breaker.

Marvin Harrison was a career "ducker" when it came to tackles and protected himself well. However, he was HOF when it came to WR skill. Mastermind technician.

Steve Smith is physical and tough. He can run any route and make any catch in addition to being pound for pound, one of the fiercest, physical players in the game.

How do you see his growth progressing offensively and what can the Rams do to optimize his skill set? Also, how do you see the offense progressing as a team? Seems to me they drastically changed strategies after Bradford went down and leaned on Stacy and a smashmouth run game from what little I know about the Rams. Arguably, it may have been as effective as what they were doing early in the season.

Could you see a power / spread balance? IMO, this team greatly lacks identity.

He's be great in the Amendola/Edelman role in New England.
I liked Amendola better in the Amendola role in St. Louis, and I would like Austin even more in the Amendola role plus rushing attempts in St. Louis.
People have already forgotten what a PPR beast Amendola was when healthy with the Rams. If he could do that I have no reason to think a vastly more talented Austin can't be even more productive.

How do you see his growth progressing offensively and what can the Rams do to optimize his skill set? Also, how do you see the offense progressing as a team? Seems to me they drastically changed strategies after Bradford went down and leaned on Stacy and a smashmouth run game from what little I know about the Rams. Arguably, it may have been as effective as what they were doing early in the season.

Could you see a power / spread balance? IMO, this team greatly lacks identity.
I expect to see what the balanced attack they had weeks 5-7 when Bradford was healthy and Stacy became the starter. 30-35 passes a game from Bradford and 25 carries for Stacy seems about right. Bradford threw 7 TD's to just 1 INT in those 3 games.

The best barometric, physical prowess comparison I can think of is this guy:

http://www.nfl.com/player/dantehall/2504165/careerstats

If you compare Hall's apex on offense in 2003, you'll find them nearly identical to Austin's rookie year stats. 40 catches. 10 ypc. So Hall's offensive ceiling is Austin's floor. Obviously, Austin may have more WR skill and craftsmanship, so there is obvious room to grow. That told, they have similar physical dimensions.

Hall was the "Human Joystick" and rarely took a hit. Phenomenally fast and elusive but not physical or a tackle breaker.
Except that Hall was a RB who had 22 career receptions in college, compared to Austin's 288.

Users who are viewing this thread