What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Rob Gronkowski, TB (1 Viewer)

I think Gronk can take it or leave it, and if the Bucs look like a contender later in season, then maaayybee etc. 

Fantasy wise, you cannot count on him. 

Problem I have buying this is that he's not under contract and does not need to retire to miss OTA's or camps.

The fact that he's already un-retired on top of Brady's brief hiatus I sure can't sit here and say he's done-done and won't change his mind later. But I am on the side that thinks right now he his intentions are that he's truly retired.

Agreed. I think that's a fair take. We'll be digging as much as we can to find more info. But for sure, today it's best to take him at his word. But I'm not sold at all anything he says about this is rock solid truth for the future. Things change. 

Guy suffered broken ribs and a punctured lung from a hit last year. You gotta wonder if it's worth it to him anymore. That's getting into extremely serious territory. It might be enough to keep him away, but this feels like it could change at any moment. 

Brate, Otten or do they make a trade?
I mean, Brate probably starts, but I think more likely the TE position just isn't particularly valuable in TB if its not Gronk. 

If they did look to make a trade, the guy who makes the most sense to me would be Mike Gesicki, as he's playing on a franchise tag, and isn't really a fit for the new offense. But the more likely scenario to me, is just using the TE position less frequently. 

The WRs likely stand to benefit, especially Evans in the redzone, and Gage as a chain mover. Right now, I'd call Evans the most likely candidate to lead the league in TD catches. 

Sort of surprised Brady came back knowing the potential for this. Doesn't leave Tom with much. I'm with the others upthread and have sort of changed my mind. He may very well come back and his retirement may be his retirement from training camp. 

I mean, Brate probably starts, but I think more likely the TE position just isn't particularly valuable in TB if its not Gronk. 

If they did look to make a trade, the guy who makes the most sense to me would be Mike Gesicki, as he's playing on a franchise tag, and isn't really a fit for the new offense. But the more likely scenario to me, is just using the TE position less frequently. 

The WRs likely stand to benefit, especially Evans in the redzone, and Gage as a chain mover. Right now, I'd call Evans the most likely candidate to lead the league in TD catches. 
Brate is a guy Brady already likes and I’m not sure he doesn’t see some percentage of those Gronk targets. He’s not a great player but he’s trusted and solid. Maybe a sell high if he starts off productive if Godwin is out at the start of the season.

Sort of surprised Brady came back knowing the potential for this. Doesn't leave Tom with much. I'm with the others upthread and have sort of changed my mind. He may very well come back and his retirement may be his retirement from training camp. 
Edelman keeps threatening a comeback and James White should become free soon. 

Oh wait, you might be serious. 

I'll bet Edelman could still play slot. James White going to have to beat out Gio, Rachaad, and Ke'Shawn. 
I was joking about Edelman- but you may be right.

I could see them bringing in White he he’s released but I think he’s cooked.

Yea but everybody knew he was legit conflicted. Gronk could just say I’ll see y’all in November and nobody would flinch. 
Similarly if the Bucs are in contention & Brady picks up the phone, Gronk could be back & no one would be surprised. 

it’s an ugly situation for dynasty owners with roster size concerns 

Hey, I hope he hangs em up. I’ve got the 1st round pick of the Gronk shareholder. He doesn’t have a ton behind him. 

But he seems like a tough drop. At any point this season he could spring up as a top 5 TE. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Similarly if the Bucs are in contention & Brady picks up the phone, Gronk could be back & no one would be surprised. 

it’s an ugly situation for dynasty owners with roster size concerns 

Hey, I hope he hangs em up. I’ve got the 1st round pick of the Gronk shareholder. He doesn’t have a ton behind him. 

But he seems like a tough drop. At any point this season he could spring up as a top 5 TE. 
He certainly could and I wouldn’t be surprised at all I guess I just don’t know why he would make an announcement. Could just as easily say I’m not looking to sign right now and we’ll see how things go and leave it open. 

He certainly could and I wouldn’t be surprised at all I guess I just don’t know why he would make an announcement. Could just as easily say I’m not looking to sign right now and we’ll see how things go and leave it open. 
Maybe he wants the wooing? I don't know. Everybody is making good points. Nobody really believes the guy, but he's going through the rigamarole of retiring, so who knows? 

Correct... but solid shot at 5-2, and 6-1 could happen.
Looking at their schedule, I could easily see them at 1-3 through their first  4 games. Not a prediction, but Tom isn’t surrounded by what he was 2 years ago, and those first 4 games are against stiff competition. 

Looking at their schedule, I could easily see them at 1-3 through their first games. Not a prediction, but Tom isn’t surrounded by what he was 2 years ago, and those first 4 games are against stiff competition. 
"Easily see them 1-3" when they're favored all 4 games, two by more than a field goal eh? 

W1 DAL +2.5 

W2 NO +4

W3 GB +3.5

W4 KC +2.5 

W5 ATL +10.5

W6 PIT +5.5

W7CAR +7

W8 BAL +3.5 

W9 LAR +1.5 

W10 SEA +9.5 

You seem like someone I'd like to wager with. 

"Easily see them 1-3" when they're favored all 4 games, two by more than a field goal eh? 

W1 DAL +2.5 

W2 NO +4

W3 GB +3.5

W4 KC +2.5 

W5 ATL +10.5

W6 PIT +5.5

W7CAR +7

W8 BAL +3.5 

W9 LAR +1.5 

W10 SEA +9.5 

None of that means anything at this point.  

No, like I said you're MUCH sharper than Vegas. Carry on. 👍🏼 
I never claimed to be, nor did I make a prediction.  I just used a logical explanation that COULD happen.  Brady is 45 and is a mortal.  The fall off is bound to happen, it’s just no one knows when.  Carry on being Richard. 

I never claimed to be, nor did I make a prediction.  I just used a logical explanation that COULD happen.  Brady is 45 and is a mortal.  The fall off is bound to happen, it’s just no one knows when.  Carry on being Richard. 
Believe me - no one hopes Brady falls off a cliff this year more than me. 

Signed,

- Brady owner’s 1st round pick holder

W1 DAL +2.5 

W2 NO +4

W3 GB +3.5

W4 KC +2.5 

W5 ATL +10.5

W6 PIT +5.5

W7CAR +7

W8 BAL +3.5 

W9 LAR +1.5 

W10 SEA +9.5 

Looks like a 3-7 start.   

That was an incredible play. I didn’t forget it - It’s the catch i think of when I think of Gronk. 
Most of my favorite Gronk memories were plays where he ran over people like a bowling ball, stiff armed people into oblivion, or dragged 4 guys draped all over him 30 yards down the field. That's why I said I forgot some of his miraculous catches.

Most of my favorite Gronk memories were plays where he ran over people like a bowling ball, stiff armed people into oblivion, or dragged 4 guys draped all over him 30 yards down the field. That's why I said I forgot some of his miraculous catches.
He threw Sergio Brown outta the club. That one always stuck with me.

One other thing that never ceased to amaze me is how often I'd watch replays and he's getting just abused by a cornerback on his entire route. Sometimes double teamed getting interfered with and trying to fight through it. It's a homer take but I feel like that was going on a ton.

Users who are viewing this thread