What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Rob Gronkowski, TB (1 Viewer)

2nd round draft picks (by ADP):

13 Julio Jones

14 Dalvin Cook

18 Devonta Freeman

21 Rob Gronkowski

23 Jordan Howard

24 Joe Mixon

Should we be blindly putting all of these guys in our starting lineup without taking into account injury, situation or performance?
Just curious... I get the premise of what you're trying to say.  So why is Julio Jones on that list? 

Rob Gronkowski caught 6-of-7 targets for 75 yards in the Patriots' Week 5 win over the Colts.

Gronk showed zero ill effects after leaving last week's beatdown of the Dolphins early. He played close to every snap as he posted his most yardage since Week 1. Gronk now has 10 days to rest up for what could be an epic Sunday night shootout with the Chiefs in Week 6.

Oct 5 - 12:04 AM

So much for being rested.

Gronk played close to a full compliment of snaps.

Now 10 days to get ready for a KC shootout.

Rest up and deliver a 10-120-2 performance in week 6. The Pats and my fantasy team will need it.

So much for being rested.

Gronk played close to a full compliment of snaps.

Now 10 days to get ready for a KC shootout.

Rest up and deliver a 10-120-2 performance in week 6. The Pats and my fantasy team will need it.
One can only hope.  No one drafted him in the second round hoping for one touchdown in 5 games.  He's been a season killer for most owners. 

Agree, 10 days rest is nice, he looks like he's in pain just walking.  What's with that arm sleeve giant falling off on his routes.

What I did notice is with them being able to use the underneath game with White, Edelman and now being able to run the ball effectively the play action pass 15-20 yard second level throw to Gronk is back in play.  Not to mention Josh Gordon stretching the field.

I'm hoping 6-75 starts to become his floor.  Just need the TDs big man!

One can only hope.  No one drafted him in the second round hoping for one touchdown in 5 games.  He's been a season killer for most owners. 
He's averaging seven points a game standard. 

If you're drafting floor, you could have done a lot worse, though it's certainly not optimal and his clunker against Jax probably sunk a lot of rosters. 

But Detroit was excusable, as Aikman called it "punt coverage" on him last night in describing it. 

And this:

What I did notice is with them being able to use the underneath game with White, Edelman and now being able to run the ball effectively the play action pass 15-20 yard second level throw to Gronk is back in play.  Not to mention Josh Gordon stretching the field.

He's averaging seven points a game standard. 

If you're drafting floor, you could have done a lot worse, though it's certainly not optimal and his clunker against Jax probably sunk a lot of rosters. 

But Detroit was excusable, as Aikman called it "punt coverage" on him last night in describing it. 

And this:
Seven points a game is what people who wait on a tight end expect. Not people who take a TE in the second round. 

Seven points a game is what people who wait on a tight end expect. Not people who take a TE in the second round. 
Really? Through five games, he'll wind up around TE7 in my league. That's only five games. We've got eight more to go. That'll likely change if he's not hurt.  

I take what you're saying, though. In the second round, you want Kelce-like numbers. You know who is TE1, far and away? 

Ebron. By a bunch.  

Really? Through five games, he'll wind up around TE7 in my league. That's only five games. We've got eight more to go. That'll likely change if he's not hurt.  
Gronk drafters also know that he hasn't played a full season since 2011. They figured it is worth the second round pick because his point total in the 10 or 11 games he plays will be head and shoulders better than anyone else at the position.  As an owner, I hope you're right.  Maybe he'll actually play in all the games and start to become a factor near the end zone again. Obviously, that's all we can hope for. But as of now, we're getting 8th round value for our 2nd round pick. 

Gronk drafters also know that he hasn't played a full season since 2011. They figured it is worth the second round pick because his point total in the 10 or 11 games he plays will be head and shoulders better than anyone else at the position.  As an owner, I hope you're right.  Maybe he'll actually play in all the games and start to become a factor near the end zone again. Obviously, that's all we can hope for. But as of now, we're getting 8th round value for our 2nd round pick. 
I do take what you're saying. I'm disappointed I drafted him in the second, too, as last time I did that he had a clunker of a year. I guess I didn't like the other options out there, really, and was scared away from Kelce by Smith's departure, which in retrospect, is just a terrible, terrible decision whereby I question my competence going into the year. 

Okay, that's an exaggeration, but it was a bad, bad decision so far.  

For reals.  He’s killing my team.  Not single-handedly.  DJ and drake are doing their best to help him, but he’s rt there with them plotting against me each week.

Dj, Gronk, Drake.  My first 3 picks.  Can anyone guess my record?  Lol  

For reals.  He’s killing my team.  Not single-handedly.  DJ and drake are doing their best to help him, but he’s rt there with them plotting against me each week.

Dj, Gronk, Drake.  My first 3 picks.  Can anyone guess my record?  Lol  
Unless you got lucky and grabbed Mahomes, Calvin Ridley and Cooper Kupp late, I'm guess 0-4.  Like me.  lol 

Unless you got lucky and grabbed Mahomes, Calvin Ridley and Cooper Kupp late, I'm guess 0-4.  Like me.  lol 
Or Goff, Saquon Barkley, Kenny Golladay and Carlos Hyde. I'm 2-2, and that's with Lamar Miller in the third, and Gordon in the fourth, too, not to mention Edelman. 

I have three Patriot pass catchers, and that's not what I intended. This is a hodgepodge year. I'm counting on Kenny Golladay. 

Oooof.  

3-1 most points scored in the league with 2nd most points scored against.  

Alvin Kamara 1/2 ppr is why, James Whites been a nice surprise to and I did well in late rounds with Cooks and Golladay at WR 

So I’m just waiting for Gronk to make it even better.  If him and Chubb come on and my WRs stay healthy I’m making a run 

I'm 2-2 with Gronk in a shallow lineup short bench league was hoping he was the difference maker for me as everyone has stacked lineups. 12 team league we only start Q-R-W-T-F-F-K-D with 4 bench.  Hoping he can at least give me top 3 TE numbers to be better than most of the field!

I'd preach patience here.

The underneath routes are now stacked with weapons like White/Edelman.  Gordon is slowly establishing himself.  NE getting to the point where they are now able to stretch defenses vertically and horizontally.

Gronk likely on the cusp of having 2-3 big games over the next 5-6 (KC, @CHI, @BUF, GB, TEN, @NYJ).  He certainly doesn't look like his skills are eroding.

I'd preach patience here.

The underneath routes are now stacked with weapons like White/Edelman.  Gordon is slowly establishing himself.  NE getting to the point where they are now able to stretch defenses vertically and horizontally.

Gronk likely on the cusp of having 2-3 big games over the next 5-6 (KC, @CHI, @BUF, GB, TEN, @NYJ).  He certainly doesn't look like his skills are eroding.
I think Edelman made a difference for Gronk already.  He would have been like 12.8 1/2 ppr had he not dropped the one he deflected to the DB for a pick with the ball around the 10 on a drive where Brady was favoring him and a TD for Gronk there would have made sense.

There was more room in the middle of the field for Gronk with Edelman to cover.  Colts has their best LB out but they actually have a solid D and the laundry list of guys out were offensive starters mostly

Stiol think it’s a shame that wasn’t played on Sunday with at least a competitive Colts roster, even so was closer than it looked score wise 

The good news is that NE looked like they are totally out of their offensive slump as I thought it would go.  They have their full compliment of weapons.  Gronk is no worse for the wear from last night’s game and looked good.  Big games are coming.  Great buy low candidate. 

The bad news is NE has scored 10 TDs the last 2 games and none to Gronk.  In addition, I don't see Brady targeting Gronk in the redszone.  Gronk owner and disappointed.

The bad news is NE has scored 10 TDs the last 2 games and none to Gronk.  In addition, I don't see Brady targeting Gronk in the redszone.  Gronk owner and disappointed.
As defenses realize their overcompensation on covering Gronk in the RZ is yielding 35 PPG...they’ll be forced to adjust their philosophy.

Couple interesting articles have me thinking we are seeing some regression with Gronk.  But not a huge drop off like some are thinking.

Quote from the end of a Pats Pulpit article about Gronk’s current 4 game TD drought:  “since the start of the 2016 season, Gronkowski has averaged 10 or fewer touchdowns in 28 of a possible 30 weeks.” Very worthwhile read.

https://www.patspulpit.com/2018/10/5/17939910/patriots-te-rob-gronkowski-hasnt-scored-a-touchdown-in-four-straight-games

And there’s an interesting insight from Adam Hargrave’s Regression Alert for week 5 up in FBG right now.  Hargrave looks at whether stretch performance in weeks 13-16 more closely trends to ADP or performance in weeks 1-4.  

The answer for QBs, WRs and RBs is that stretch performance resembles both ADP and weeks 1-4 performance more or less equally.  For Tight Ends, however, there’s a very strong correlation between performance weeks 1-4 and weeks 13-16.  Although ADP still has some some pull as well.

https://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/article.php?article=2018-regression-alert-week-05

His model would put Gronk finishing around TE#5-6 at the end of the year.  Which to correct for the slow start means Gronk’s probably TE 3-4 from here on out.  Thats about how things feel to me.  

Week 6 against a good KC matchup after a long week will be telling for what kind of 2018 Gronk will finish with. He’ll go into the game healthier than he’s been since week 1, all the pieces are now in place as far as receivers, and Patriots coaches will have had plenty of time to work on developing their redzone playbook beyond James White.

We probably aren’t getting the 1200/12 season we all hoped for but he’s still a must start with a good floor and huge ceiling at a position that is garbage. Plus, all it takes is one of those classic 7/140/2 and Gronk is right back on pace for a big year.

We probably aren’t getting the 1200/12 season we all hoped for but he’s still a must start with a good floor and huge ceiling at a position that is garbage. Plus, all it takes is one of those classic 7/140/2 and Gronk is right back on pace for a big year.
We don't have IR and I picked up Olsen as soon as he started practicing. 

I'm not flexing TEs. I'm wondering what trades I can do. I can give rosters, etc. If you see this, I might shoot a PM or something if that's okay, bud. 

No data just my gut, but I think the Patriots having no real running game until just recently and Brady’s love affair with the a certain surprise PPR RB1 is part of what has hurt Gronk.

Is the tight end blocking or receiving this play wasn’t even a question and when defenses would cheat to take away the downfield pass Brady’s been more than happy to take what they give him, the James White check down.

Gronk’s explanation of his better game 4 performance was Sony Michel and play action passes opened up by the developing run game.  But Michel has only just begun to be worked into the redzone offense.  As that happens more I think Gronk TDs start to happen.

No data just my gut, but I think the Patriots having no real running game until just recently and Brady’s love affair with the a certain surprise PPR RB1 is part of what has hurt Gronk.

Is the tight end blocking or receiving this play wasn’t even a question and when defenses would cheat to take away the downfield pass Brady’s been more than happy to take what they give him, the James White check down.

Gronk’s explanation of his better game 4 performance was Sony Michel and play action passes opened up by the developing run game.  But Michel has only just begun to be worked into the redzone offense.  As that happens more I think Gronk TDs start to happen.
I totally agree with this. I don't know if you saw this in another thread, but Aikman said Gronk was facing "punt coverage" against Detroit. They were just hanging back and waiting for him to come downfield. Now, the defensive backs have to move up because of Michel and the run game. They weren't stacking the box against the Pats; they were unstacking it in major ways, to the best of my limited football knowledge. Tampa twos and cover twos, all other things constant, should get eaten up by a competent running game, and the Pats didn't have one.  

But end zone looks, as we know, are a roulette wheel for the most part, and I bet teams still double Gronk and dare Brady to beat them with someone else. 

I've never had Gronk until this year. Every week people are hoping "this is the week", and then he puts up average numbers. It's all my fault.

I've never had Gronk until this year. Every week people are hoping "this is the week", and then he puts up average numbers. It's all my fault.
I'm not too worried. Week 1 and 5 were good. Week 2 was @ the best D in the league. Then week 3 the Pats looked DOA. They have a game like that every year. Week 4 it was a silly blow out and he was held out to make sure he was good for the short week. I think rest of the season he's going to deliver top 2 TE value. 

Users who are viewing this thread