What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Rob Gronkowski, TB (1 Viewer)

The TDs are arguably the most important part (and what made him so valuable). For some reason, they aren't even looking his way in the red zone this year- is there reason to believe that's going to change?
I heard a stat I think during MNF or the game before that the NE has the most rushing TD's in the NFL inside the RZ the last 2 or so yrs. Maybe it was Matthew Berry who said it when talking about Sony. So that could be a factor too. I don't think it was noticeable to us since Gronk wasn't that healthy the last few yrs so it was something we'd miss. 

Dam bad week for Gronk's back to want to hurt. My Back up TD is Vance McDonald who's on a bye. I also have Goedert who I might need to cut now who's not really doing anything unless Ertz gets hurt but I know the minute I drop him Ertz will be hurt and Goedert gets those targets. 

Sucks he's playing Monday night next week too, gonna be tough to trust him if he's putting in anything less than full practices all week. 

ConnSKINS26 said:
Sucks he's playing Monday night next week too, gonna be tough to trust him if he's putting in anything less than full practices all week. 
ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Rob Gronkowski (back) is not expected to play Week 7 against the Bears, but he is expected back for Week 8.
There was at least some concern about Gronkowski's long-term outlook after he tweaked his troublesome back, but Schefter reports it will just be a one-game absence. With Jacob Hollister (hamstring) also out, Dwayne Allen should play nearly every snap against the Bears.
Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Oct 20 - 11:53 PM
In Schefter we trust. If Adam says he plays then he plays.

DJackson10 said:
Hallister is out according to Schefty too. 
Does this make Allen a viable play thus week or will he be primarily used to block Mack?  There is complete garbage on waivers 

Does this make Allen a viable play thus week or will he be primarily used to block Mack?  There is complete garbage on waivers 
Even if Allen is on the field the whole game, I can't bring myself to think he's the best dart to throw.  My ww options are O'Leary, Watson and Gates (in Londontown in an hour).  

It’s never “if” with Gronk, it’s “when”. 

In the absence of Gronk I’d expect even more passes to go to White, who may not come off the field all game. 

Possible they run a ton of 4-wide as well, and that Hogan might finally pop - but IMO it’s more likely that James White is the primary beneficiary here.  Of course we are talking about Hoodie here, so....  :shrug:

No Gronk, so who's a better play?

Kittle vs Rams

Engram vs Atl

Hooper vs NYG

I'm liking Hooper due to Sanu and Ridley hurting this week.  Ryan has to throw to someone.

Last edited by a moderator:
ConnSKINS26 said:
The shark move is clearly to pick up Clay not only for this week, but as insurance next week as well since NE plays BUFF on Monday night.

Debating Clay, Everett, Reed. Almost have to go Clay now.

DJackson10 said:
I heard a stat I think during MNF or the game before that the NE has the most rushing TD's in the NFL inside the RZ the last 2 or so yrs. Maybe it was Matthew Berry who said it when talking about Sony. So that could be a factor too. I don't think it was noticeable to us since Gronk wasn't that healthy the last few yrs so it was something we'd miss. 
Gronk used to be their unquestioned #1 target in the red zone, but this year he has been the forgotten man down there. There are likely several factors, but the bottom like is that he isn't going to score many TDs if he isn't getting red zone looks. I've yet to see a compelling argument for why they're all of the sudden going to change that (even prior to the inevitable injury bug).

Gronk used to be their unquestioned #1 target in the red zone, but this year he has been the forgotten man down there. There are likely several factors, but the bottom like is that he isn't going to score many TDs if he isn't getting red zone looks. I've yet to see a compelling argument for why they're all of the sudden going to change that (even prior to the inevitable injury bug).
No Edelman and Gordon being limited and not very involved let team’s triple team Gronk at the goal line. That made it next to impossible to target him in the red zone. 

That being said, people remember and expect Gronk to produce like his 2011 season and score every game. But since then his TD rate has dropped to close to half that. 

So he should have 3 TD in 6 games and instead only has 1. He will probably get 4 or 5 more the rest of the way if he is healthy and plays. 

And after seeing people scrambling to find a replacement, I am a little shocked that people don’t have other options already in place given his injury history. 

No Edelman and Gordon being limited and not very involved let team’s triple team Gronk at the goal line. That made it next to impossible to target him in the red zone. 

That being said, people remember and expect Gronk to produce like his 2011 season and score every game. But since then his TD rate has dropped to close to half that. 

So he should have 3 TD in 6 games and instead only has 1. He will probably get 4 or 5 more the rest of the way if he is healthy and plays. 

And after seeing people scrambling to find a replacement, I am a little shocked that people don’t have other options already in place given his injury history. 
Oh I had an option like I said Gronk's back decided to act up on the wrong weekend when Vance McDonald who I have is on a bye week. 

Anarchy99 said:

So do we see him outside of the top 5 the rest of the way 

Anarchy99 said:

Almost all of the starters suck.  No sense in rostering a replacement that may get you 2-3 points. 

Almost all of the starters suck.  No sense in rostering a replacement that may get you 2-3 points. 
I own Gronk and Olsen with the hope that one of them would be healthy each week. If both stayed healthy, I could use one as a flex.

Given Gronk's injury status, one would think people would have had a contingency plan in place knowing that he could miss time. I get that in leagues with smaller rosters, keeping multiple TE's isn't always possible, but I would only have gone with a single TE if I owned Ertz or Kelce.

Definitely not a great year to try to stream TE's as there is not a lot out there.

I own Gronk and Olsen with the hope that one of them would be healthy each week. If both stayed healthy, I could use one as a flex.

Given Gronk's injury status, one would think people would have had a contingency plan in place knowing that he could miss time. I get that in leagues with smaller rosters, keeping multiple TE's isn't always possible, but I would only have gone with a single TE if I owned Ertz or Kelce.

Definitely not a great year to try to stream TE's as there is not a lot out there.
The problem with Olsen is he's not going to be healthy this season.He needs foot surgery and is just delaying and playing through the pain.

I agree it's not a great year to stream.  But most backups on most teams aren't better than streamers. 

I will guess most teams couldn't get Olsen and Gronk.  Jordan Reed is someone who I could see as one of the last starters taken or a backup.  He's getting yardage totals in the 20's and 40's.  Am I really that much better off with him vs some scrub off waivers? 

Short bench (4) and I had to scramble to get Hooper. Have a chance tonight but need things to go well.

Howard and Njoku were free agents two weeks ago and had to pass because roster constructs.

Hooper is on bye Week 8 - so Gronk needs to play.

Short bench (4) and I had to scramble to get Hooper. Have a chance tonight but need things to go well.

Howard and Njoku were free agents two weeks ago and had to pass because roster constructs.

Hooper is on bye Week 8 - so Gronk needs to play.
I'm guessing both guys are rostered in the majority of leagues.  Even then Hooper has had games of 19, 23, and 24 yards. 

Unless he goes through a clean week of practice (he won't) how can we trust him Week 8 on MNF?

I'm already predicting I bench him for a safer play only to see him finally have a huge game...

Gronk finishing ROS as a top 5 TE or as TE 6-10 comes down to two things for me:

1- Michel needs to get back soon and without lingering issues after that knee injury.  The Patriots offense this year when they don’t have a running game is built around the James White check down as substitute for running plays, and that hasn’t been good for Gronk’s numbers.  He says he does better in a play action offense and I think this season shows he’s right.

2- Last thing is whether or not he’s lost a step or he’s just battling some injuries that week 7 off will make better.  I don’t know the answer there. I think he’s a lock to play week 8 and this week was basically the Patriots saying it was worth a week off to get him back to the type of Gronk form we all expect.  I hope they’re right.  We’ll see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gronk finishing ROS as a top 5 TE or as TE 6-10 comes down to two things for me:

1- Michel needs to get back soon and without lingering issues after that knee injury.  The Patriots offense this year when they don’t have a running game is built around the James White check down as substitute for running plays, and that hasn’t been good for Gronk’s numbers.  He says he does better in a play action offense and I think this season shows he’s right.

2- Last thing is whether or not he’s lost a step or he’s just battling some injuries that week 7 off will make better.  I don’t know the answer there. I think he’s a lock to play week 8 and this week was basically the Patriots saying it was worth a week off to get him back to the type of Gronk form we all expect.  I hope they’re right.  We’ll see.
Not to mention, he loves playing Buffalo (hometown) and it's a division game even though it won't matter the Pats are hyped whenever they play in Buffalo.  National TV.  

Sat him vs. the NFC.

Gronk did not participate in practice today (Wednesday) but is expected to be ready to go for MNF at Buffalo.

However, if he became a GTD or a late scratch, fantasy owners would not have last second swap out options to chose from (other than Patriots or Bills players).

Gronk did not participate in practice today (Wednesday) but is expected to be ready to go for MNF at Buffalo.

However, if he became a GTD or a late scratch, fantasy owners would not have last second swap out options to chose from (other than Patriots or Bills players).
as disgusting as it sounds, I scooped up Kelvin Benjamin off of waivers for precisely this reason (TE counts as WR in my league). 

I only had Goedert as my back up but picked up Vance McDonald after week 2. McDonald had his bye unfortunately same week Gronk gets hurt. I rolled with Goddert hoping for the best and he got me double digit fantasy points this week so I was quite happy with that Hail Mary. 

I'm surprised that i have not posted in a Gronk thread in all these years, but now it will  be easier to find, oh and in Yahoo leagues where you can IR a guy that is out (Gronk went back to questionable), I am trying to wait until the Out indication Monday night to pick up Clay so I don't have to drop any of my RB lotto tickets for an otherwise useless TE that will get me 2-5 points.

Mike Reiss‏Verified account @MikeReiss 1m1 minute ago

Rob Gronkowski is back at practice today. Watched him align in a three-point stance and then thrust up against a teammate holding a blocking pad, which is one indication of his back injury improving.
Expected DNP. 

Progress.

Have my eyes on C. Clay. Really have nobody to drop to pick him up as insurance. If Gronk is a DNP tmrw my hand will be forced.

Have Gronk in a league with very  limited bench. Have to sit Gronk and play Benjamin Watson instead or cut someone decent to pick up Chuck Clay. Argh. I’ve ruled out cutting Watson for Clay because if Gronk has a setback and missed the rest of the year I’d rather roll out Watson each week over Clay. You can’t even strategize week to week with this guy, you gotta do long term planning. Sucks.

I did stash Clay, but the reality is, there's a very narrow window where it's going to make a difference.  Clay only is good for 10-20 yards a week it seems.  So if you're ahead, or behind by more than a couple points, it's probably not gonna matter.

Users who are viewing this thread