What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Telling Your Kids Santa Is Real (1 Viewer)

My twins are 10. They got some gifts from Santa this year, but I'm pretty sure they know what's up. They just like waking up on Xmas morning and seeing the new gifts and tearing into them. I'll tell them the truth if/when they ask. Not sure if we'll do Santa next year. Heck my wife openly bought stocking stuffers with my son last week.

I'm very encouraged that so many 8 yr olds still believe. My 7 yr old is asking a lot of questions and I was afraid this might be his last year. I won't be asking him if he "still believes" because the question pretty much gives up the game imo.

Y'all are missing the boat on "Santa Claus." He is not-yet-another fantastical "white dude" like Jesus who gets monetized by whatever capitalist faction is pushing that form of propaganda. Santa Claus, just like Jesus, is a belief. A belief in something pure, something joyful. Something to be given, something more than just ourselves.

If Santa Claus was a religion, I would absolutely join. But yea, I absolutely 10000% believe in Santa Claus and all the magic of creating smiles and happiness as much as possible. The season of giving instead of receiving. I know it's real, just like I know love is real, because of the feeling I get watching it unfold. Its my happiest time of year and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Dont let anybody or anything take that from you and your family.

Im all in on Santa Claus. I do worry too many people out there allow corporate America to define Santa Claus for them. Just like too many Churches think they own the only definition of "The Holy Spirit" and "Jesus Christ".

🎅

After yesterday's mayhem subsided, I asked my kids (who are in college or done now: IE out of the house) if we made a mistake by "lying to them about Santa". All three looked at me very quizzically and had responses that can all be paraphrased as "Are you insane?!". I followed up with "Do you still trust us since we clearly lied to y'all". More quizzical looks, more sanity questioning.

Feeling pretty comfortable with our choices when they were little and belief in Santa was an easy thing.

(Afterwards we put on Violent Night w/David Harbor and had some awesome laughs as the night turned long.)

Santa Claus, just like Jesus, is a belief. A belief in something pure, something joyful. Something to be given, something more than just ourselves.

🎅
This is more or less the message we shared with our oldest when she was ~9 years old and was pretty well certain that Santa did not exist.

“Santa Claus” is about doing things for other people, to spread joy and cheer. It’s not necessarily simply about the idea of Santa bringing/giving gifts, but at the core it is doing things for others that lifts their spirits and make their day just a little bit better. That could be a gift, but it might be baking some cookies, adopting a family and providing gifts for the holidays, a call to a friend, donating, or a hello and “happy holidays” to a stranger…anything that might brighten someone’s day.

like a lot of people here we just let them figure it out. Our son is 7 years older than our daughter so we had a nice run and he also got to help us with various Santa related stuff for our daughter. By the time it was over our daughter was pointing out that the "Elf hadn't moved from the day before" and eventually she was moving him around - LOL.

we all found it warm and charming and just plain made all of US feel good. We loved the myth and was sorry to see it eventually go.

Last edited:
Why would you tell your kids there is no Santa?

My daughter is autistic and at 14 believed in all of it. Santa, Easter Bunny, Cupid. All of it. That can seem harmless but it had got to a point where she was arguing with other kids at school over the existence of Santa, saying stuff like it must be true if my dad says so and getting very defiant over it with other kids. Due to being on the spectrum she already was struggling with other kids thinking she was "weird" or a "freak" and I decided at that point I had to step in and I sat her down to talk about it.

Was a tough conversation. In one sit down I not only killed off Santa I killed off the whole crew.

I've had second thoughts, maybe I did not do the right thing, never felt right to me that's for sure. I crushed a lot of innocence and hope but was trying to protect her from other kids.

Just saying not all situations are similar.

My daughter is autistic and at 14 believed in all of it. Santa, Easter Bunny, Cupid. All of it. That can seem harmless but it had got to a point where she was arguing with other kids at school over the existence of Santa, saying stuff like it must be true if my dad says so and getting very defiant over it with other kids. Due to being on the spectrum she already was struggling with other kids thinking she was "weird" or a "freak" and I decided at that point I had to step in and I sat her down to talk about it.

Was a tough conversation. In one sit down I not only killed off Santa I killed off the whole crew.

I've had second thoughts, maybe I did not do the right thing, never felt right to me that's for sure. I crushed a lot of innocence and hope but was trying to protect her from other kids.

man i cant even imagine the internal fortitude it must have had to have that conversation and i just wanted to say that i think you are brave as heck and it sounds like you care a lot about your daugher which is truly awesome keep on keepin on

Y'all are missing the boat on "Santa Claus." He is not-yet-another fantastical "white dude" like Jesus who gets monetized by whatever capitalist faction is pushing that form of propaganda. Santa Claus, just like Jesus, is a belief. A belief in something pure, something joyful. Something to be given, something more than just ourselves.

If Santa Claus was a religion, I would absolutely join. But yea, I absolutely 10000% believe in Santa Claus and all the magic of creating smiles and happiness as much as possible. The season of giving instead of receiving. I know it's real, just like I know love is real, because of the feeling I get watching it unfold. Its my happiest time of year and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Dont let anybody or anything take that from you and your family.

Im all in on Santa Claus. I do worry too many people out there allow corporate America to define Santa Claus for them. Just like too many Churches think they own the only definition of "The Holy Spirit" and "Jesus Christ".

🎅
:goodposting: I couldn't have said it any better.

Parenting is hard

Users who are viewing this thread