What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tennis: Australian Open - Who opens the new season with a bang (1 Viewer)

Holy #### you must be confident.  I was expecting you to build up Cilic's current play as the second coming of Sampras or thereabouts.  Maybe give Fed a 1 in 4 shot to win.  To even suggest that Fed should win in 3 or 4 tops leads me to believe that you are way way way to overconfident.

C'mon, we like our Dentist cheap, obsessed with retirement, hating on Nadal, and constantly assuming the worse about Fed.

I feel a lot better about this final than when he played Nadal...    I was flat nervous to watch that match...   I knew that if he lost... that Nadal is then on the pathway to GOAT.   And he would have been..  it would be 17-16 going into WImbledon.

After he made that absolutely sublime comeback that represented the 30 greatest minutes of tennis I've ever watched and may EVER watch... and then subsequently blasted Nadal off the court in those two hard court tournies aftewards...  well i AM confident.. and I'm a lot less nervous.

It would suck if he lost Sunday...  but I wouldn't be flat depressed like I was at '08 Wimbledon,  '09 AO and '09 USO.

More like when he lost at '14 and '15 wimbledons..  bummed.. but accepted it.

Cilic is WAY worth the 5:1 odds he'd currently getting...   If I were betting,  I wouldn't put money on Federer at 1:5.

Cilic is at worst 3:1

Though realistically.. he's here because he had to beat virtually no-one.. 

Federer has beaten 3 guys in the top 15 to get here.

With the way Djoker and Murray are beaten up...   is it going to be a shock to see either Federer or Nadal or Wawrinka win the USO?   Nope.

If you'd told me Murrovic would play in zero major finals this year, that might have been hard to believe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just making another final at his age is UNREAL.  I fully expect him to win and nothing indicates he'll slow down at the USO and in to 2018.
True.  I mean if he wins Sunday and won the USO..   part of me would want him to say.. 20 majors..  peace out and drop the mic.   But I think Roger won't go out Sampras style... he's going to go out after he knows he couldn't get another one... kind of Roddick/Agassi style.

Looks at the results for his last several majors:

2014:  SF, 4R, F, SF

2015:  3R, QF, F, F

2016: SF, DNP, SF, DNP

2017:  W,  DNP,  Final (or W)

Thus.. in the last 6 majors he's competed in...  ALL W, Final, or SF

That's pretty close to the results he was getting at the peak!    I sure hope it's not PEDs

Let's do this Roger!  This guy robbed a major from you in 2014.

Crush his soul

#fedlegacy

Playing great, cilic terrible. 

Love it.   Not a high quality match, but I don't need the stress of the '17 ao every time

I had almost given up on 18, I thought Roger might retire after the layoff.  And now 19 and excited for the uso.  

This is the greatest year to be a fed fan, I think this is better than the glory years! .. Heck this could be a glory year.

I don't think he even needed to shower afterwards. Put on some more deodorant, wash your hands and face and get dressed. He'd be ready for a night on the town. 

I don't think he even needed to shower afterwards. Put on some more deodorant, wash your hands and face and get dressed. He'd be ready for a night on the town. 
He's ####### Roger Federer - he could smell like 10 day stank ### and be banging supermodels three at a time.

I re-watched most of the final and some of the highlights of the rest of the tournament.

Here are some of my thoughts:

- this title reminded me a lot of some of the glory tournaments from 10+ years ago.. at very few points in any match was Roger really tested.. at no point was I very nervous.  Byrdych played him the best by far, and should have probably taken a set off of him even if he didn't have much chance of winning the match.

- I was thinking to myself that in many ways this tournament must feel like what it feels like to be a Nadal fan at Roland Garros... you feel pretty damn confident you are going to win.. and in many years are hardly even bothered...  it's easy to watch.

- I found myself though significantly less gratified with this victory than a super-tense tournament like this year's AO..  I mean 3 5-set matches..  playing your biggest nemesis in the final.. being down a break in the 5th set...    you just can't write tennis drama like that.    To use a basketball comparison..... one of the things that made Jordan's Bulls runs compelling was that despite their dominance, there were still many moments where it took a last second shot, or a herculean performance to get the victory..  you felt like they COULD lose even if they actually didn't lose.   By contrast, at no point did you think the Golden State Warriors this year were actually going to lose a series.. so while I can appreciate the dominance... it doesn't make for as satisfying or compelling of an event.

I imagine I'll forget about this tournament twenty years from now, but I'll never forget watching that 2017 AO final...  the tennis might not have been as good as the 2008 Wimbledon, but the dramatics were just as high.. and the hero won.

As an aside..  I keep hearing that Federer is "better now than ever"   and while he's performed awesome.. I can't see how he could have beaten the 2007 version of himself in this tourney...  while he may have even more experience and a better backhand...  I can't see how he's quite as explosive as he was back in '06-'07...  maybe someone else can weigh in on this.

But this shows you what kind of guy Fed really is and what's important to him.  I think he and his wife have a really long relationship from before he was the GOAT.  The fact that he's stayed with her, despite what must be a plethora of opportunities, says a lot about his character I believe.

Good on you Fed!
she started with him before he even won his first major...  she's older than him..   she basically became his manager,  then they didn't get married until she was knocked up in '09...   given her age and pumping out 2 sets of twins, I don't think she looks too bad.

Again, could be bang a super-model every night.. sure.. he's roger federer and worth 9 figures.    But we all saw what happened to Tiger Woods by marrying hot and still banging like Jeter.

He's nailed the recipe for maximizing legacy.   The fact that he's doing this with 4 freakin' kids is AMAZING.  

she started with him before he even won his first major...  she's older than him..   she basically became his manager,  then they didn't get married until she was knocked up in '09...   given her age and pumping out 2 sets of twins, I don't think she looks too bad.

Again, could be bang a super-model every night.. sure.. he's roger federer and worth 9 figures.    But we all saw what happened to Tiger Woods by marrying hot and still banging like Jeter.

He's nailed the recipe for maximizing legacy.   The fact that he's doing this with 4 freakin' kids is AMAZING.  
It would still be pretty sweet to bang models though

It would still be pretty sweet to bang models though
Yeah, advantage rock star.   Rock stars can bang models without getting judged.   Football and baseball players can bang models without getting judged too much.    But there's something about golf and tennis where all of a sudden you aren't allowed to bang without the judgement.

Probably because old rich white guys are the main supporters

Djokavic shut it down for the rest of the season.

I think that's a good move for him physically and psychologically.

He's got a kid due in September, his wife is going crazy, and he's played a LOAD of really high level tennis for the last 6 years.

I think this guy could either totally pull a Federer and come back refreshed and strong and bag a few more majors...   OR he could more of less mentally check out and rest on the laurels of a historically great career and a nine figure net worth

Shapovalov? :oldunsure:
I watched the 3rd set of that match last night and was particularly satisfied with the result.

18 y.o.

Nadal won his first slam when that kid was 6...  guy probably idolized him... and at 18 I'm impressed he had the guts to take it to him rather than wither away.

I don't know who this kid is, but beating two grand slam champions in 2 days is pretty dang impressive.. and heck, he almost lost in the first round.

I watched Roger's entire match yesterday and he looked like garbage and like he didn't want to be there... but he can beat Ferrer in his sleep.

Only real competition left in this draw is A. Zveverv..  and that guy really looks like a future #1 in 2-3 years

The men's draw is a real wreck and Andy murray is a real ##### for not retiring until after the draw was made.

I have a hard time seeing Federer winning a 3rd major in a year because that seems insane...  so really the only FedDentist goal is that Ralph doesn't get anywhere near the final.  Based on his hard court masters I shouldn't worry too much.. but I always worry when it comes to Ralph.

If Ralph were to win it would be like the awesome year was a total wash...  I feel like Federer has to leave this year +4 in the slam tally...  +3 wouldn't feel so great given the form of the other top flight players

Good gosh, Roger looks like he forgot how to play.  Doesn't look anything like his Wimbledon self

The Open was awesome last night. Went for a work event in a suite in Arthur Ashe and then wandered the grounds a bit. Still the best live sporting event, such a great night, so very NY. Good times. Nothing like going in the first week and wandering all the satellite courts and stand feet from these pros who are just crushing it; wander the outdoor bars outside the stadiums on a nice night, have some food, sit and watch what's going on in Ashe on the big screen. Just such a great night. Gonna start going every year for sure, maybe even twice a year. 

Great fight by the kid. But Fed is Champion still after getting taken to limit. Hope his back holds up for him.
I was shocked it went to a fifth set.. i went to sleep after he won the 3rd set because it looked like he was on cruise control and the kid had given up.

At least if you are going to have a 5 set match early in the tournament, it was still under 3 hours so it wasn't terribly physically taxing.

We'll see where this goes...  he will obviously have to play a LOT better moving forward

No idea why there's a quote box.
Wow, Shapopalov on centre court.  I still like Raonic better, but Shapopalov will have a better career.  Hope Raonic can get it back together and make a Davis Cup run.

Hate how the announcer is saying his name.

What the heck is going on.  Byrdych out to Dogopolov..   Dimitrov is about to crash out in straights,  A. Zverev lost...   The number of real contenders is shrinking rapidly.   It's like the Fed/Nadal semi (if both make it) is the de-facto title game, or some absolute Rando is about to win a major

Federer dumps a set to youhzny?  Broken twice in the set?   Something is seriously wrong.  He may win today, but won't beat Ralph with this garbage

Federer dumps a set to youhzny?  Broken twice in the set?   Something is seriously wrong.  He may win today, but won't beat Ralph with this garbage
I don't see either of them winning this tournament. However, if Federer can survive the first week he has a decent chance to win. He is just working off the rust right now.

Users who are viewing this thread