What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 2014 NFL Draft All-Overrated Team: Vanderbilt WR Jordan Matthews (1 Viewer)

6-80-1 is another solid/good game. He is the eagles #1 WR and a top 15 WR in FF. He should have two TD's which would put him top 10 WR in my league.
I stopped watching in the 3rd quarter and he hadn't caught a ball. When did he get these targets?
Garbage time and he had 1 or 2 drops. Still he is the #1 option on that team. The offense was just terrible today but he still got his. He's one bad ball spot from being a top 5 WR right now. It's ridiculous for anybody to argue he doesn't have a big year ahead.

6-80-1 is another solid/good game. He is the eagles #1 WR and a top 15 WR in FF. He should have two TD's which would put him top 10 WR in my league.
I stopped watching in the 3rd quarter and he hadn't caught a ball. When did he get these targets?
Garbage time and he had 1 or 2 drops. Still he is the #1 option on that team. The offense was just terrible today but he still got his. He's one bad ball spot from being a top 5 WR right now. It's ridiculous for anybody to argue he doesn't have a big year ahead.
Yeah people are way too hard on this guy. He's in the right system and he has the goods, it's just about putting it together. He was a bit shaky this week and needs to control the drops, but overall the stars are aligning for a pretty big year.

The two early drops seemed carry over from last week. He comes up with those, Bradford probably looks his way a little more.

Im holding steady and continue to expect a solid WR2...

So I had what I would call a good trade offer yesterday but held. It's probably easy to over think and say the Eagles are burning but one thing Sam has done right FF-wise is laser in on Matthews.

Key matchups for Eagles-Jets: Marshall, Matthews and more:

http://www.csnphilly.com/blog/700-level/key-matchups-eagles-jets

Excerpt:

Jordan Matthews vs. Buster Skrine

Matthews has 16 catches for 182 yards and one touchdown. Skrine has been targeted 11 times in the slot for six catches, 52 yards and no touchdowns or interceptions, per PFF.

Matthews doesn’t anticipate winding up on Revis Island. The All-Pro cornerback primarily lines up outside, while the second-year wideout still runs almost exclusively out of the slot. Even though he’s the Eagles’ leading receiver by far, as Matthews put it, why would the Jets change anything given the way their defense has been playing?

That means it should be Matthews against Skrine the bulk of the time, and while the nickel cornerback is no slouch – he probably starts on a fair number of teams – it’s a matchup the Eagles should win. Look no further than the size disparity. Matthews is listed as 6’3”, 212 pounds. Skrine is 5’9”, 185 pounds.

Skrine is opportunistic, racking up four interceptions with the Browns last season, so Sam Bradford has to be cautious. That being said, with Darrelle Revis and Antonio Cromartie guarding the perimeters, and the rest of the Eagles receivers having difficulties getting open, the offense may require a big game from Matthews.

Rotoworld:

Reporting on ESPN, Sal Paolantonio said the Jets will have Darrelle Revis shadow Jordan Matthews on Sunday.

It's a bit of a departure for Revis as he doesn't usually cover slot receivers. With Revis on Matthews, Paolantonio suspects the Eagles will try and get tight end Zach Ertz more involved. Darren Sproles should also get plenty of receiving work out of the backfield.

Sep 27 - 11:45 AM

Last edited by a moderator:
Matthews was on this week's sell high list, again with the statement, again, that he is not a true no. 1.

I don't know if Revis really did shadow Matthews, but in a down game for the team's passing offense (Bradford threw for just 118 yards) he was still the leading target and receiver.

If Bradford snaps out of his funk, you probably want to keep Matthews. If Bradford continues to struggle and Sanchez comes in, you definitely want to keep Matthews as Matthews was Sanchez's favorite receiver last year. Finally if Bradford continues at has current pace, and Chip doesn't bench him, Matthews is on pace for 117 receptions, 1,231 yards, 5 TD's. In PPR, those are pretty decent numbers.

Eagles WR Jordan Matthews hauls in six passes in Week 3:

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasyfootball/update/25319327/eagles-wr-jordan-matthews-hauls-in-six-passes-in-week-3

Eagles wide receiver Jordan Matthews had six catches on eight targets for 49 yards, all of which led the team during Sunday's 24-17 win over the Jets.

Quarterback Sam Bradford's lone touchdown pass went to running back Ryan Mathews, but Matthews continues to be the clear top receiving option in Philadelphia.

While his receiving yards have decreased in each game this season, there's still plenty of upside for Matthews despite a tough Week 4 matchup against the Redskins.

I packaged him last week with Lewis to get Gurley. Glad I got off his bus after watching a little of the game and watching him drop a pass right in his hands.

No bump for a good game? I must be the only sucker still starting this guy.

With the # of targets I don't think I can take him out, either. I may live to regret this.

With the # of targets I don't think I can take him out, either. I may live to regret this.
What I saw last night was a much more comfortable Bradford, who had a good amount of time to throw due to the running game being effective. This should help Matthews as well as a pretty favorable schedule over the next 3 games (Miami, TB at home, Detroit on the road on thanksiving).

After Detroit, you may want to consider other options with NE, Buffalo, and Arizona, on the schedule.

What I saw last night was a much more comfortable Bradford, who had a good amount of time to throw due to the running game being effective. This should help Matthews as well as a pretty favorable schedule over the next 3 games (Miami, TB at home, Detroit on the road on thanksiving).

After Detroit, you may want to consider other options with NE, Buffalo, and Arizona, on the schedule.
Agree with you w/regards to NE, but Buffalo and Arizona are two of the worst teams, with regards to QB sacks. They are just slightly worse than Dallas. I'd have to imagine Bradford would have some time to throw against those two teams.

Detroit is actually decent, but other than NE and the Lions, the Eagles face bottom half D's, with regards to sacks. If you believe that Bradford's comfort is part of the reason Matthews produced, this outlook looks pretty good ROS.

Last edited by a moderator:

I benched him and started Crabtree, Sanders and T Austin yesterday, first time I benched him except for bye.

I started him. I'm really excited about the 2nd half.

A) Agholar comes back soon which instantly makes him the 2nd best WR on the team. That should take some heat off JMatt.

B) Also this guy is very cerebral. Confidence from last night's game can go a long way for both Bradford and Matthews.

C)It's not like there are any great options on the Eagles. Besides Ertz (who they rarely use) and Agholar (rookie), Matthews is the guy who Bradford should feed.

Gonna be a fun second half.

Hopefully he is 100% healthy now (at least I'm hoping that is the reason for all of the drop passes in the previous games), he looked good last night. His only issue to me is the drop passes. Even if he didn't get that last TD pass, I thought he looked impressive and confident.

I can't believe how badly he's playing. It's unbelievable! I've seen him get his clock rung a few times this season, I wonder if he's losing confidence and getting a little nervous after taking some serious hits.

I heard he hurt his hand earlier this season and that's been part of his problem but I doubt that's it now.

I am going to drop him this week, I'm tired of waiting around. Starting him is a real crap shoot that I am no longer willing to take. I actually had him on my bench this week....but instead started Amari Cooper! And he did worse!

Only saving grace for me right now, down thirty points, was that I started Rawls. I have Brady, LaFell, and Pats Defense going and my opponent has Pats kicker. If I can pull this out this week, it will be HUGE.

Rotoworld:

Eagles added Jordan Matthews to the injury report as questionable with a back injury.

Details of the injury are not yet known, but it is not encouraging the Eagles added him as questionable instead of probable. The good news is Philadelphia hosts Buffalo in a 1 p.m. kickoff, so we should know Matthews' status Sunday morning. The bad news is Matthews has been nothing but a garbage-time dependent WR3 the last month. The Philadelphia passing game is best avoided this week.

Source: Adam Caplan on Twitter

Coach Doug Pederson doesn't seem impressed with Jordan Matthews' ability to play outside, saying "he's better on the inside."
Pederson and OC Frank Reich have given Matthews an extended look as an outside receiver after he played strictly in the slot under ex-coach Chip Kelly. But the reviews haven't been great. It sounds like Matthews is going to continue to play the vast majority of his snaps inside, with Nelson Agholor joined by some combination of Chris Givens, Rueben Randle, or Josh Huff outside.

Source: Eliot Shorr-Parks on Twitter 
Jun 3 - 10:39 AM

Pro Football Focus' Neil Hornsby speculates Jordan Matthews could see around 200 fewer snaps this season if he is not able to secure a role on the outside.
New coach Doug Pederson attempted to use Matthews on the outside during OTAs, but it appears that experiment has already come to an unsuccessful end. "He’s better inside," Pederson said, "because he’s got that big body and he knows how to use it in space." If Pederson is uncomfortable playing Matthews outside, it could seriously limit his role in an offense which will employ a lot fewer three-wide looks than Chip Kelly did last season. Matthews has to establish himself on the perimeter to have any shot at WR3 value.

Source: Pro Football Focus 
Jun 7 - 8:42 AM

Coach Doug Pederson doesn't seem impressed with Jordan Matthews' ability to play outside, saying "he's better on the inside."

+

Pro Football Focus' Neil Hornsby speculates Jordan Matthews could see around 200 fewer snaps this season if he is not able to secure a role on the outside.

If Pederson is uncomfortable playing Matthews outside, it could seriously limit his role in an offense which will employ a lot fewer three-wide looks than Chip Kelly did last season.
=

:toilet:

I'll issue the disclaimer that I'm probably just tired of this one particular owner in a league who keeps trying to offer this guy to everyone like he is worth Gronk +Zeke or something but I just don't see why people are so high on this guy.

I think he's like a lot of guys that, in the right system, sure, he makes some fantasy noise but I never look at him and think "this is a great WR". That's not to say he doesn't have value or anything but, IMO, he's not a guy you just universally talk about as if he is one of the main wrs in the league.

Drops haven't been a problem for Jordan Matthews at Eagles' spring practices.
Matthews was charged with nine drops on 94 catchable balls last season, and many came in late, crucial situations. To this point at OTAs, it hasn't been an issue for him, and Matthews is listed as one of the five standouts from spring work by Philly Voice's Jimmy Kempski. Although the transition to outside receiver hasn't panned out, Matthews should still lead the Eagles in targets.

Source: Philly Voice 
Jun 10 - 9:52 AM

The title of this thread should be changed. I've never seen the FF community be so down on a player from day 1 and then double down on it after 1800 and 16 in his first 2 years. 

I like when it goes this way. Makes it easier to grab those players in my leagues. It's an obvious advantage to pounce on 'groupthink'

So Jordan Matthews sucked last year in an offense where he saw a TON of snaps, and now the former OC of one of the least pass-happy teams in the NFL comes in and...what, he's going to get better in FF?

So Jordan Matthews sucked last year in an offense where he saw a TON of snaps, and now the former OC of one of the least pass-happy teams in the NFL comes in and...what, he's going to get better in FF?
You really got an axe to grind with Matthews. What is the deal? Did he steal your milk money as a kid?  :lmao:

He finished as WR16 LY in ppr, thus a solid WR2 option. You have to admit that is slightly better than "sucking."

Users who are viewing this thread