What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****The 2019 Carolina Panthers Thread**** We Rhule At Losing (2 Viewers)

ummm....so no one's talking about the Cam ankle surgery? Figured I'd come in today at defcon 1 levels
I got nothing left. That is just the cherry on top of the #### sundae this offseason has been. I do wonder why they waited though to get it done. Especially given the state of the receiving corps it would have been nice for him to be ready in May. Now if everything goes perfect he is ready in June for camp. Could have used the extra time.

ummm....so no one's talking about the Cam ankle surgery? Figured I'd come in today at defcon 1 levels
I got nothing left. That is just the cherry on top of the #### sundae this offseason has been. I do wonder why they waited though to get it done. Especially given the state of the receiving corps it would have been nice for him to be ready in May. Now if everything goes perfect he is ready in June for camp. Could have used the extra time.
I wonder too why they waited this long to have Cam's ankle operated on.

When Tavarres King becomes the next out-of-nowhere stud WR a la Victor Cruz (who was added by NYG when Gettleman was head of scouting, and was an undrafted nobody), Carolina fans will stop panicking so much.
I'm a King fan and I think it's a possibility that he'll break out. I like McNutt as well.

The Victor Cruz thing is blown out of proportion however. First off, he was cut previously, and following that, he only got an opportunity because of injuries. Yes, they did a good job scouting him, but his breakout was anything but a genius move.

I am not as worried as most though. I AM worried, but I just think that we have to play it out and see how it goes. We all knew what the cap situation was like.

My guess? Gettleman hiring was based on a plan that would correct the cap situation in 2-3 years. After last season's surprise 12-4 run, the decision was made to continue on the path to clear up the cap problems...and that includes making a lot of tough decisions. There's a good chance that we're throwing in the towel (at least from a financial perspective) this season, so that we can build to a more consistent future. It's tough to swallow, but I think that's the plan. I wouldn't even be surprised if we end up cutting Deangelo or Stewart and taking the cap hit this year, just to get it off the books next year. That may cause a riot though.
Agree on this. Sounds about right with throwing in the towel financially. Instead of 5 straight years or so of mediocre success, you bite the bullet now in hopes you come out better on the other side, quicker. I was thinking, they should probably be looking at drafting a RB in the mid rounds this year too and move/cut one of Stew or DWill now. Draft 2 top WRs in this class, a top 5-7 RB, pick up 2-3 serviceable FA depth WRs, maybe grab a bunch of camp cuts due to overcrowded WR corps elsewhere. Maybe make a bigger play for a feature WR next season in free agency to pair with this years crop???

In 2015 you'd have Cam, a stud starting RB1 to pair with Barner, 2 Soph stud WRs (hopefully) from '14 class, a very good FA WR (grabbed in 2015 FA), maybe King or McNutt hit, Olsen.....Only problem is it seems like they'd not be taking the best player available in the draft and would be drafting for position. This lack of WR, now also really shows our hand in the draft. Teams will know where to jump in front of if a good WR is slipping or still on the board.

Last edited by a moderator:
This crept into my mind as well, though as I read, 4 months seems like a VERY conservative estimate. Still, he's on the shelf for a good while and that doesn't help when the WRs are brand new....all of them.

When Tavarres King becomes the next out-of-nowhere stud WR a la Victor Cruz (who was added by NYG when Gettleman was head of scouting, and was an undrafted nobody), Carolina fans will stop panicking so much.
I'm a King fan and I think it's a possibility that he'll break out. I like McNutt as well.

The Victor Cruz thing is blown out of proportion however. First off, he was cut previously, and following that, he only got an opportunity because of injuries. Yes, they did a good job scouting him, but his breakout was anything but a genius move.

I am not as worried as most though. I AM worried, but I just think that we have to play it out and see how it goes. We all knew what the cap situation was like.

My guess? Gettleman hiring was based on a plan that would correct the cap situation in 2-3 years. After last season's surprise 12-4 run, the decision was made to continue on the path to clear up the cap problems...and that includes making a lot of tough decisions. There's a good chance that we're throwing in the towel (at least from a financial perspective) this season, so that we can build to a more consistent future. It's tough to swallow, but I think that's the plan. I wouldn't even be surprised if we end up cutting Deangelo or Stewart and taking the cap hit this year, just to get it off the books next year. That may cause a riot though.
Agree on this. Sounds about right with throwing in the towel financially. Instead of 5 straight years or so of mediocre success, you bite the bullet now in hopes you come out better on the other side, quicker. I was thinking, they should probably be looking at drafting a RB in the mid rounds this year too and move/cut one of Stew or DWill now. Draft 2 top WRs in this class, a top 5-7 RB, pick up 2-3 serviceable FA depth WRs, maybe grab a bunch of camp cuts due to overcrowded WR corps elsewhere. Maybe make a bigger play for a feature WR next season in free agency to pair with this years crop???

In 2015 you'd have Cam, a stud starting RB1 to pair with Barner, 2 Soph stud WRs (hopefully) from '14 class, a very good FA WR (grabbed in 2015 FA), maybe King or McNutt hit, Olsen.....Only problem is it seems like they'd not be taking the best player available in the draft and would be drafting for position. This lack of WR, now also really shows our hand in the draft. Teams will know where to jump in front of if a good WR is slipping or still on the board.
Who is going to block for all of these players? Need to get LT sorted out ASAP.

Did I just see a report on ESPN that the panthers and chiefs have talked to the eggles about d jax?
I saw something on TV about it. I'd trade the number 28 pick for Jackson. He still commands a lot of attention from defenses.
Me too. Seems too good to be true. I was watching ESPN in a bar and I just barely read the closed caption and I swore it said the Chiefs and Panthers had talked to the Eagles about Jackson with the 2014 1rst round pick as the swap. He is only $4.5 million this year. Seems like just what the panthers need.

Did I just see a report on ESPN that the panthers and chiefs have talked to the eggles about d jax?
I saw something on TV about it. I'd trade the number 28 pick for Jackson. He still commands a lot of attention from defenses.
Me too. Seems too good to be true. I was watching ESPN in a bar and I just barely read the closed caption and I swore it said the Chiefs and Panthers had talked to the Eagles about Jackson with the 2014 1rst round pick as the swap. He is only $4.5 million this year. Seems like just what the panthers need.
Yeah if they could pull this off it would certainly settle the natives.

So no surprises in Cam's surgery today. Best news of the off season so far.
Yeah that's very good news. I'm not really that concerned with his surgery. Maybe I'm an optimist. Assuming the recovery time is in line with the reports I don't see it as a problem. They just need to get guys for him to throw to and replace his missing T.

Yeah that's very good news. I'm not really that concerned with his surgery. Maybe I'm an optimist. Assuming the recovery time is in line with the reports I don't see it as a problem. They just need to get guys for him to throw to and replace his missing T.
Yeah I am expecting a full recovery and really since it bothered him a bit last year I think he will actually be more mobile than he was. Just hope for no setbacks of any kind because he's still young enough he need time with the WRs.

I have to admit someone made a pretty good point earlier today on the Smith fiasco. They said Smitty being gone will probably lead to Cam exploring the offense even deeper and giving him a more whoever is open attitude. With Smith in the huddle that was harder to do. And I guess I could see that. But I am still not very happy with the way things are going here at this moment. It just feels like going backwards.

Panthers have to get 2 very good WRs in this draft that can play right away. In most years, you'd say fat chance, but if there is ever a year to hope to land impact WRs past the first round, this is it.

Panthers have to get 2 very good WRs in this draft that can play right away. In most years, you'd say fat chance, but if there is ever a year to hope to land impact WRs past the first round, this is it.
I really hope they land Jarvis Landry in round 2 or 3. The guy can flat play and catches everything. He's probably going to slip a good bit because if his awful measurables.

Yeah I am expecting a full recovery and really since it bothered him a bit last year I think he will actually be more mobile than he was. Just hope for no setbacks of any kind because he's still young enough he need time with the WRs.

I have to admit someone made a pretty good point earlier today on the Smith fiasco. They said Smitty being gone will probably lead to Cam exploring the offense even deeper and giving him a more whoever is open attitude. With Smith in the huddle that was harder to do. And I guess I could see that. But I am still not very happy with the way things are going here at this moment. It just feels like going backwards.
Backwards implies somewhere. I'm a little less certain. This feels a little more indefinite.

I'm sure the plan is to stay within the parameters of the salary cap and do no further harm. But, to lose your best player on the team (per PFF, Gross) to retirement, a guy that'll be in our ring of honor (Smith, maybe HOF even), numbers 2-4 WR's on the depth chart, a mass exodus on the defensive side of the ball, and have the franchise QB undergo surgery in spring for a 2013 injury and have a 4 month recovery window, all with no discernible plan in free agency... well, life is truly stranger than fiction. I don't think you can come up with that plot. Albeit, those in the know may have seen the writing on the wall. This is all "shock and awe" for the rest of us who aren't expert prognosticators. Even Gettleman, the architect, I'm sure feels at the mercy of the Scylla and Charybdis of free agency and the guesswork of the NFL Draft. Good luck banking on anything. Merciless times for sure. Oh well, thank God it's just football.

FYI, Bramel did a good writeup on the Newton injury. Well worth the read. It can work but from what I scanned, there is a chance for setback. Not cool to envision Anderson throwing to our current WR stable with a turnstyle at Left Tackle, but, :shrug: .

And, the good news is.... give me something guys! It's only one year? Or, a magic fairy tale? Or, inevitably, the best is, one day at a time. And, you don't win championships in one day. I'm sure G is doing what he can. Heck, the guy did alright in NY.

PFT, from earlier this evening. I posted the above, before even finding this:

Newton’s ankle had been bothering him for yearsPosted by Mike Florio on March 19, 2014, 5:34 PM EDT
6a3947073c1394d30679b077f57b2094.jpeg
APSo how was quarterback Cam Newton able to play in the Pro Bowl with an ankle that required surgery and a four-month recovery?

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Newton’s ankle wasn’t bothering him badly enough to prevent him from playing in the regular season, the postseason, or the Pro Bowl. He was medically cleared to play in Hawaii, and he was able to play normally.

The ankle, we’re told, nevertheless has been bothering him for several years, dating back to college. If the season were occurring now, he’d continue to play through it.

The decision was made to operate for the purposes of tightening loose ligaments after Newton rested for 4-6 weeks after the season ended. After he started working out in preparation for the coming season, the ankle was still bothering him. The decision was made to conduct the surgery.

So was the surgery a success? We asked Panthers spokesman Steve Drummond, who provided one of the better answers we’ve ever heard.

“I’m not going to call it a successful surgery,” Drummond said with a laugh, “because that’s what everybody says.”

Lafell's thoughts on moving to NE, also from PFT:

Brandon LaFell: I wanted to play with HOF quarterback, Cam isn’t there nowPosted by Josh Alper on March 19, 2014, 5:21 PM EDT
8cef3b271b7340d3663e4bcbc56b8476-e1395264009125.jpeg
Getty ImagesWide receiver Brandon LaFell was one of several 2013 Panthers wide receivers to find new teams over the last week and he explained why he wound up with the Patriots on a Wednesday conference call.

It should come as no surprise that a guy who catches passes for a living was focused on the guy throwing them when he decided to cast his lot with New England. Cam Newton may be on the rise, but LaFell wanted to play with a guy who has already built a resume that will land him in Canton.

“Because I had a chance to play with a Hall of Fame quarterback. One day Cam will be there probably but he’s not there now,” LaFell said, via Tom Curran of CSN New England.

It’s hard to construe that as much of a knock on Newton since Tom Brady’s been doing it for a lot longer and it’s pretty clear that he’s the only member of that pair that would be heading to the Hall of Fame if both careers ended today. Give Newton another decade or so playing quarterback and things might look very different, but LaFell isn’t making his decision at that point.

LaFell said he first thought about playing with Brady when the Panthers were watching film of the Patriots before their 2013 regular season matchup and the receiver noticed that all Patriots pass catchers had to do was put their hands up for a pass right on target from Brady. LaFell will get a chance to experience it for himself this season.

Englishteacher said:

Brandon LaFell: I wanted to play with HOF quarterback, Cam isn’t there nowPosted by Josh Alper on March 19, 2014, 5:21 PM EDT
Getty ImagesWide receiver Brandon LaFell was one of several 2013 Panthers wide receivers to find new teams over the last week and he explained why he wound up with the Patriots on a Wednesday conference call.

It should come as no surprise that a guy who catches passes for a living was focused on the guy throwing them when he decided to cast his lot with New England. Cam Newton may be on the rise, but LaFell wanted to play with a guy who has already built a resume that will land him in Canton.

“Because I had a chance to play with a Hall of Fame quarterback. One day Cam will be there probably but he’s not there now,” LaFell said, via Tom Curran of CSN New England.

It’s hard to construe that as much of a knock on Newton since Tom Brady’s been doing it for a lot longer and it’s pretty clear that he’s the only member of that pair that would be heading to the Hall of Fame if both careers ended today. Give Newton another decade or so playing quarterback and things might look very different, but LaFell isn’t making his decision at that point.

LaFell said he first thought about playing with Brady when the Panthers were watching film of the Patriots before their 2013 regular season matchup and the receiver noticed that all Patriots pass catchers had to do was put their hands up for a pass right on target from Brady. LaFell will get a chance to experience it for himself this season.
The problem hasn't been the passing it's been the catching(LaFell has dropped more than one on target pass), the not getting separation, the running lazy routes. The inability to step up with any consistency and be a #2 receiver.

jurb26 said:
Archer said:
I really hope they land Jarvis Landry in round 2 or 3. The guy can flat play and catches everything. He's probably going to slip a good bit because if his awful measurables.
I like Landry but man I hope he improves some in a Pro Day. He does still have a pro day coming I hope.

Englishteacher said:

FU LaFell. The best thing that happened to the Panthers this offseason was your worthless butt leaving town. Maybe you should have be thinking about how to improve your game while watching film rather than dreaming about Brady. You should be in jail for all the coin you stole from the Panthers over the years.

Englishteacher said:

FU LaFell. The best thing that happened to the Panthers this offseason was your worthless butt leaving town. Maybe you should have be thinking about how to improve your game while watching film rather than dreaming about Brady. You should be in jail for all the coin you stole from the Panthers over the years.
Wait until he drops one of those perfect Brady passes. I don't think he'll find Tom so dreamy afterwards.

COTCHERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So we got rid of a talented older receiver and signed a not quite as talented older receiver. Yay?

I guess we at least signed someone but this guy can't be the main threat. Even when he was young he wasn't a number 1 and he sure isn't today.
#3 material, nothing more. Media does this stupid "#1 now because the other guys have no stats" but he's still going to be #3 at best.

Hey, I'm just excited we signed someone. It's not much but it will help. Still, we have a 4-12 team on paper right now, especially if Cam struggles after surgery.

Rumor mill is saying we have a tentative deal with CB Antoine Cason. I would like that if it were true. He has the physical tools to be real good but hasn't been consistent. Hopefully if we sign him he is coachable.

Rumor mill is saying we have a tentative deal with CB Antoine Cason. I would like that if it were true. He has the physical tools to be real good but hasn't been consistent. Hopefully if we sign him he is coachable.
Don't know him but we could use a corner sure.
He is 6'1" 200 lbs, long arms. Played for the Cards last year had one big play with a interception return. Played for San Diego before that for 3 years at RCB and Nickel. Former first rounder. Looks to be LCB here depending on how camp goes if he is signed

COTCHERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So we got rid of a talented older receiver and signed a not quite as talented older receiver. Yay?

I guess we at least signed someone but this guy can't be the main threat. Even when he was young he wasn't a number 1 and he sure isn't today.
Cotchery isn't a number 1 but he had 10 TDs last season. I wish the Steelers could have retained him.
Seems like a good red zone target at this point in his career.

COTCHERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cotchery isn't a number 1 but he had 10 TDs last season. I wish the Steelers could have retained him.
Seems like a good red zone target at this point in his career.
:yes:

He is 6'1" 200 lbs, long arms. Played for the Cards last year had one big play with a interception return. Played for San Diego before that for 3 years at RCB and Nickel. Former first rounder. Looks to be LCB here depending on how camp goes if he is signed
PFT:

Antoine Cason visiting corner-needy Panthers tonightPosted by Darin Gantt on March 20, 2014, 3:04 PM EDT
99bcee0318a5713ed730c0fe963e8f53.jpeg
Getty ImagesWe mentioned yesterday a report that veteran cornerback Antoine Cason was expected to sign with the Panthers.

It’ll be easier if he chooses to tonight, since he’ll be there.

A league source tells PFT’s Mike Florio that Cason is visiting the Panthers tonight.

The fit is a natural one, as Cason has experience playing for Panthers coach Ron Rivera when he was defensive coordinator in San Diego.

Cason barely played defense last year, but could fill in nicely for the Panthers, who are shorter on corners than they are on wide receivers.

PFT:

Antoine Cason visiting corner-needy Panthers tonightPosted by Darin Gantt on March 20, 2014, 3:04 PM EDT
99bcee0318a5713ed730c0fe963e8f53.jpeg
Getty ImagesWe mentioned yesterday a report that veteran cornerback Antoine Cason was expected to sign with the Panthers.

It’ll be easier if he chooses to tonight, since he’ll be there.

A league source tells PFT’s Mike Florio that Cason is visiting the Panthers tonight.

The fit is a natural one, as Cason has experience playing for Panthers coach Ron Rivera when he was defensive coordinator in San Diego.

Cason barely played defense last year, but could fill in nicely for the Panthers, who are shorter on corners than they are on wide receivers.
Several sites are now saying he is expected to sign here, I guess tonight.

PFT:

Report: Panthers to meet with Texans WR Lestar JeanPosted by Mike Wilkening on March 20, 2014, 5:46 PM EDT
6ac27deca295f1abdbb2649add531fa7-e1395351250317.jpeg
Getty ImagesAs job opportunities go, this looks like a good one forLestar Jean.

The 26-year-old wide receiver, who was non-tendered as a restricted free agent by the Texans,will visit the Panthers on Thursday and Friday, Joseph Person of the Charlotte Observer reported.

A fourth-year pro from Florida Atlantic, Jean (6-3, 202) has caught 10 passes for 186 yards and one TD in his NFL career.

The Panthers currently have seven wideouts on their roster, including former Steelers pass catcher Jerricho Cotchery. More help is likely to be added as the offseason progresses, especially with Steve Smith and Brandon LaFell having moved on to new clubs.

Evidently, we've been mentioned as interested in Desean. Can we do that with the cap? And, why would we want another mercurial WR when we just got rid of Smith?

Evidently, we've been mentioned as interested in Desean. Can we do that with the cap? And, why would we want another mercurial WR when we just got rid of Smith?
His cap number this year is 4.25 million I believe. A bit steep for us this year although I believe the ability is there to get more cash with restructures if needed. His cap hit next year is 10 million. That's a lot. And it sounds like they were looking for at least a 3rd round pick.

I am hoping they draft Kelvin Benjamin. From the games I watched of Benjamin, the dude has GREAT hands, always making GREAT catches... its like he has glue on his gloves.

But with Benjamin being Cam's GO-TO WR for the next 5-10 years, I could NOT complain.
Going to be a BEAST move if they land both Desean and him.. That would not even be fair. Cam needs a 6'5" 245 LB WR like Calvin to throw to..! 7 a speedster like DJax.

O-GOD

His cap number this year is 4.25 million I believe. A bit steep for us this year although I believe the ability is there to get more cash with restructures if needed. His cap hit next year is 10 million. That's a lot. And it sounds like they were looking for at least a 3rd round pick.
If they end up signing him, I become 100% confident the moving on of Smith was personal with DG. They'd be signing an even bigger mouth who's less physical and little help in the running game. He does bring a younger solution and he'd help with replacing Ginn in the return game, but outside of that I think the negatives outweigh the positives.

Jackson's cap hit is 12.75 million this year. Zero chance the Panthers trade for him.

Panthers are paying 14 million to rbs, 30 million to there 2 DEs and another 18 million in dead money. They have no money left for anything. Only way they can make a deal is to trade one of their DEs and free some space up. They probably don't even have 3 or 4 million to take a gamble on Britt.

Jackson's cap hit is 12.75 million this year. Zero chance the Panthers trade for him.

Panthers are paying 14 million to rbs, 30 million to there 2 DEs and another 18 million in dead money. They have no money left for anything. Only way they can make a deal is to trade one of their DEs and free some space up. They probably don't even have 3 or 4 million to take a gamble on Britt.
That doesn't make any sense. How would his cap hit be $13M for the Panthers if his salary is $4M. Are you sure that isn't the Eagle's hit since they prorated his bonus already?

They do have no money. The biggest mistakes were signing the RBs for those huge deals after they both had that great year together. That was pre-Cam and that team is not the same team as today, but those contracts suck. DeAngelo through 2015 and Stewart's is even worse for cap hits.

Does anyone know when Stewart and DeAngelo can be cut safely? I found this site sportrac.com, but I don't get the dead money column and it shows the cap hits, but not clear what the cap hit would be if cut. It seems like Stewart's contract ramps up in 2015 and after 2015 Williams is an UFA. I wonder if they are trying to get through 2014 and 2015 and go from there.

Users who are viewing this thread