What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 4th Quarter "Run the Clock Out" Strategy (1 Viewer)

buck naked

Footballguy
Last night in the Pittsburgh game with 4 minutes or so left, Tomlin and Pittsburgh decide that its best to do the old, conventional "run the clock out" strategy. After 3 runs, including a run by a slow QB, Pittsburgh fails to get a first down and has to punt.

Pittsburgh had just scored 3 td's in a row before that...how? Passing the ball!! It was not by the run, which had been effectively shut down all night. They had all the momentum in the game before those three conventional plays. All Jax needed was a field goal, which off course, they got after they got the ball back.

Why do I never hear any criticism from the media or anyone else about this strategy? Is it because it goes against the "norm" and people are afraid to say anything a bit different? How about a play action pass????

I think it was a terrible, terrible decision by Tomlin to just try 3 runs. Try something DIFFERENT Coach, taht's why it is called coaching. I'm not a Pittsburgh fan, either.

I see this strategy all the time in the NFL. In the right context, it is good. But sometimes it is a bad strategy and bad coaching to do just accept the "run the clock out strategy". Why nobody ever questions this is beyond me.

Last night in the Pittsburgh game with 4 minutes or so left, Tomlin and Pittsburgh decide that its best to do the old, conventional "run the clock out" strategy. After 3 runs, including a run by a slow QB, Pittsburgh fails to get a first down and has to punt.

Pittsburgh had just scored 3 td's in a row before that...how? Passing the ball!! It was not by the run, which had been effectively shut down all night. They had all the momentum in the game before those three conventional plays. All Jax needed was a field goal, which off course, they got after they got the ball back.

Why do I never hear any criticism from the media or anyone else about this strategy? Is it because it goes against the "norm" and people are afraid to say anything a bit different? How about a play action pass????

I think it was a terrible, terrible decision by Tomlin to just try 3 runs. Try something DIFFERENT Coach, taht's why it is called coaching. I'm not a Pittsburgh fan, either.

I see this strategy all the time in the NFL. In the right context, it is good. But sometimes it is a bad strategy and bad coaching to do just accept the "run the clock out strategy". Why nobody ever questions this is beyond me.
They don't?

Last night in the Pittsburgh game with 4 minutes or so left, Tomlin and Pittsburgh decide that its best to do the old, conventional "run the clock out" strategy. After 3 runs, including a run by a slow QB, Pittsburgh fails to get a first down and has to punt. Pittsburgh had just scored 3 td's in a row before that...how? Passing the ball!! It was not by the run, which had been effectively shut down all night. They had all the momentum in the game before those three conventional plays. All Jax needed was a field goal, which off course, they got after they got the ball back.Why do I never hear any criticism from the media or anyone else about this strategy? Is it because it goes against the "norm" and people are afraid to say anything a bit different? How about a play action pass????I think it was a terrible, terrible decision by Tomlin to just try 3 runs. Try something DIFFERENT Coach, taht's why it is called coaching. I'm not a Pittsburgh fan, either.I see this strategy all the time in the NFL. In the right context, it is good. But sometimes it is a bad strategy and bad coaching to do just accept the "run the clock out strategy". Why nobody ever questions this is beyond me.
It's called Marty ball. Yes it gets questioned every time it doesn't work.But if Ben throws INT #4, then you would get the ones that would say. Why did they throw the ball? Jacksonville's Off. didn't do anything all game.Two sides to every story.

It is the worst decision a team can make. They haven't been able to run against the Jax Def at all ALL DAY and decide to try it at the end of the game? After just scoring a couple quick TD's to take the lead? Absoulutely horrible decision, no other way to look at it. HORRIBLE

It's called Marty ball. Yes it gets questioned every time it doesn't work.But if Ben throws INT #4, then you would get the ones that would say.
Exactly. Still, on 3rd and 6 it would've been nice to see a pass attempt. But they certainly weren't going to throw on 2nd and 5....
Why did they throw the ball? Jacksonville's Off. didn't do anything all game.Two sides to every story.
The Jags only had 1 real drive the entire game. Otherwise, they scored due to great starting field position from turnovers. So why shouldn't Tomlin expect his defense to stop them?

Exactly. Still, on 3rd and 6 it would've been nice to see a pass attempt. But they certainly weren't going to throw on 2nd and 5....
I agree and was screaming when he allowed Bruce Arians to call a friggin' QB on third and six FROM THE GUN.You'd been throwing all 2nd half. You needed a 6 yard dump off. Dump it off.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's called Marty ball. Yes it gets questioned every time it doesn't work.But if Ben throws INT #4, then you would get the ones that would say.
Why did they throw the ball? Jacksonville's Off. didn't do anything all game.Two sides to every story.
The Jags only had 1 real drive the entire game. Otherwise, they scored due to great starting field position from turnovers. So why shouldn't Tomlin expect his defense to stop them?
Given the way the Steelers special teams played, wasn't it a given that the Jags would get good field position if they got the ball back? It was a terrible call to play conservative there given the way the game was playing out. Not sure what he was thinking there.

Given the way the Steelers special teams played, wasn't it a given that the Jags would get good field position if they got the ball back? It was a terrible call to play conservative there given the way the game was playing out. Not sure what he was thinking there.
As always, if they had gotten a 1st down, Tomlin would be hailed as a genius.If they had thrown an INT, he would have been faulted for that.The OL should have come thru better and Najeh should have done better on 2nd and 5, they failed, not Tomlin.Ben's run on 3rd and 6 was probably a mistake, but if he had gotten it, they'd be hailed as heroes.

Ben's run on 3rd down was no mistake. They wanted to force Jax to take another timeout. Often times teams leave too much time on the clock late in the game because they refuse to run. this was followed with a great punt and a reall bad returns effort from Pitt.

Last night in the Pittsburgh game with 4 minutes or so left, Tomlin and Pittsburgh decide that its best to do the old, conventional "run the clock out" strategy. After 3 runs, including a run by a slow QB, Pittsburgh fails to get a first down and has to punt. Pittsburgh had just scored 3 td's in a row before that...how? Passing the ball!! It was not by the run, which had been effectively shut down all night. They had all the momentum in the game before those three conventional plays. All Jax needed was a field goal, which off course, they got after they got the ball back.Why do I never hear any criticism from the media or anyone else about this strategy? Is it because it goes against the "norm" and people are afraid to say anything a bit different? How about a play action pass????I think it was a terrible, terrible decision by Tomlin to just try 3 runs. Try something DIFFERENT Coach, taht's why it is called coaching. I'm not a Pittsburgh fan, either.I see this strategy all the time in the NFL. In the right context, it is good. But sometimes it is a bad strategy and bad coaching to do just accept the "run the clock out strategy". Why nobody ever questions this is beyond me.
I think its decision making based on fear of failure. If you follow the conventional strategy and it fails, well, you followed the book. It just didn't work. If you go out on a limb, try something against the norm, and it fails, then the blame falls squarely on the decision maker. You minimize your own risk as a HC by following conventional playcalling.There's a fearlessness to leaders that do what they think is right, even when it goes against convention. Those leaders are willing to be fully accountable for their decisions when they fail. But when they're right...I didn't think it was a terrible decision necessisarily, but the thought that crossed my mind was "playing to not lose"

Ben's run on 3rd down was no mistake. They wanted to force Jax to take another timeout. Often times teams leave too much time on the clock late in the game because they refuse to run. this was followed with a great punt and a reall bad returns effort from Pitt.
Jags were down by 1 pt with 2 and a half minutes to go in the game. Ok so the Steelers forced them to use their final timeout but they still had over 2 minutes to make their drive (which is plenty of time for any qb). Not only that, the Steelers were now relying on their biggest weakness of the game and season......their special teams. Sure enough, the Jags ended up with very good field position and still over 2 mins to drive a fairly short distance. Now the way the game was playing out at the time, Ben was essentially toying with the Jags defense in the 2nd half. Why not give him an opportunity to put the game away. Yes Ben made mistakes early on but he had obviously taken the game over in the 2nd half. He was on fire and Tomlin inexpicably pulls the reigns. It was an absurd call. He played not to lose....a strategy that almost always loses in the NFL.

My thinknig last nite was, "Have they run on 3 consecutive plays all nite?" With that much time on the clock, making Jax use their timeout wasn't even an issue. Getting the 1st down was paramount, and IMO, they didn't play for the 1st down but rather for the clock. I think it was poor game management, but I'm not getting paid a couple million for my decisions either.

My thinknig last nite was, "Have they run on 3 consecutive plays all nite?" With that much time on the clock, making Jax use their timeout wasn't even an issue. Getting the 1st down was paramount, and IMO, they didn't play for the 1st down but rather for the clock. I think it was poor game management, but I'm not getting paid a couple million for my decisions either.
;) The point that people seem to be missing is that the extra timeout wasn't all that relevant. The Jags would have plenty of time to drive for a fieldgoal regardless of whether or not they had a timeout. The Jags were going to get the ball back with very good field position and it's a tall order to ask the Steelers defense to step up once again. The Steelers HAD to win the game right there. I was literally in shock when I saw that play call.

There was still a ton of time left for Jacksonville to drive even after Pittsburgh forced them to burn a TO. And if youre up by 4 or more, and the other team needs a TD to beat you, then I say grinding it out is more understandable. But leading by only a single point and with Jax only needing to drive and kick a FG, youve GOT to think 1st down before killing time on the ground. You play to win in that spot. So, lesson learned there for Tomlin. But we all know there were a ton of other plays that contributed to this game's outcome. So you can only bang on this particular decision but so much.

There was still a ton of time left for Jacksonville to drive even after Pittsburgh forced them to burn a TO. And if youre up by 4 or more, and the other team needs a TD to beat you, then I say grinding it out is more understandable. But leading by only a single point and with Jax only needing to drive and kick a FG, youve GOT to think 1st down before killing time on the ground. You play to win in that spot. So, lesson learned there for Tomlin. But we all know there were a ton of other plays that contributed to this game's outcome. So you can only bang on this particular decision but so much.
There were a ton of plays that contributed to the game's outcome and you can say that about any game. However, that decision by Tomlin is magnified but because it essentially showed that he was playing not to lose rather than playing to win. A little odd to see that considering how aggressive he coached in that game and throughout the season. Anyways, lesson learned and it will definitely make him stronger......

Yes, it was. The best way from 3-6 to ensure you run out the clock and force the other team to take a TO? Get the first down. It wasn't going to happen with that run. Ben is pretty agile and a decent runner, better than he looks, but he's not Vick, Vince Young, or McNabb. His best asset is his arm, you use that. If you want to play it safe, you get Holmes, Ward, or Miller a short pass.

Last edited by a moderator:
:shrug: The point that people seem to be missing is that the extra timeout wasn't all that relevant. The Jags would have plenty of time to drive for a fieldgoal regardless of whether or not they had a timeout. The Jags were going to get the ball back with very good field position and it's a tall order to ask the Steelers defense to step up once again. The Steelers HAD to win the game right there. I was literally in shock when I saw that play call.
I thought the same thing when I saw that play and IMO it was a terrible call. As Herm said "you play to win the game".In this instance the Steelers "played not to lose the game" and it probably cost them the game.

How many times did Pitt run that same play this year? Any?

What puzzled me is that there was no threat of a pass, Ben tucked the ball and took off. Third and 1-2..maybe, but not third and 6.

I think its decision making based on fear of failure. If you follow the conventional strategy and it fails, well, you followed the book. It just didn't work. If you go out on a limb, try something against the norm, and it fails, then the blame falls squarely on the decision maker. You minimize your own risk as a HC by following conventional playcalling.There's a fearlessness to leaders that do what they think is right, even when it goes against convention. Those leaders are willing to be fully accountable for their decisions when they fail. But when they're right...I didn't think it was a terrible decision necessisarily, but the thought that crossed my mind was "playing to not lose"
Good way to say it all. I dislike decisions made on fear of failure.

I thought that was pretty horrible --- they had way too much time to be doing that. A friend of mine was just ranting about it a couple hours ago, too.

The problem was that it was a 1-point lead with more than 1 minute left.

A field goal drive needs, in most situations, 40 yards. If you have 2 minutes to work with, even if you're out of timeouts there's plenty of time to mount a field goal drive.

If they were up by 4+ points or if they could have run the clock down to 1 minute, then I could understand the strategy. But they weren't.

The Redskins played "not to lose" in the second halves of multiple games earlier this year. They succeeded in almost losing some of them and in actually losing several. After their Buffalo loss Gibbs told the offensive and defensive coordinators to stay aggressive at least through the third quarters of games. They won 4 in a row.

Users who are viewing this thread