What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 5 Worst Trade Partners (1 Viewer)

TheBottomLine

Footballguy
I remembered an article from Yahoo! Sports from a while back that I thought was interesting. Just went and found the article and it was from July 22, 2010, and it listed the 5 worst owners to trade with, and I'm certain that my leagues feature all 5 of them.

Here's a link to the article but I'm going to switch around the explanations a bit to fit football instead of baseball:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/fantasy-roto-arcade/fantasy-rant-five-worst-owners-youre-looking-trade.html

1. The Junk Peddler - He's the guy who thinks 5 pennies equals a quarter. He thinks offering Robert Woods, Rueben Randle, and Marvin Jones FOR Dez Bryant is a good offer. When you reject, he throws in a 7th rounder to sweeten the deal.

2. The Essayist - He's the guy who gives you a six page paper as to why you should trade Charles Clay for Chris Ivory, ironing out how the trade makes sense for both teams and that their values are similar.

3. The Ricciardi - He's the guy who can never get himself to pull the trigger on ANY deal. Doesn't matter how long you've discussed it and how many offers have been made, the trade sits on the table for days and either finally gets rejected or it expires.

4. The Canceller - He's the guy who offers you a trade, but before you can pull it up, revokes it. He either sends it and then has second doubts immediately, or he purposely sends it and revokes it with hopes that you see it and comment on whether or not you are interested.

5. The Guy Who Ignores Your Needs - He's the guy who offers you Colin Kaepernick, even though you already have Aaron Rodgers, Matthew Stafford, and Eli Manning, then wonders why in the world you aren't interested in Kaepernick.

Personally, 1 through 4 hit pretty accurately in my league. Just curious as to how common these people are in other leagues, or if my league is a minority.

I think almost all active traders get accused of being a #1 aka "Junk Peddler" at some point. 90% of us are guilty of it. #2's can actually be pretty effective, especially when they deal with a new owner who just joined an existing dynasty league, but it all depend son the quality of their offers.

#5 and #1 are probably the one's who ruffle the most feathers, but #3's are the most annoying to me. Unless you have the perfect team or feel like your entire roster's value will only increase with time, you should always be open to trades.

I remembered an article from Yahoo! Sports from a while back that I thought was interesting. Just went and found the article and it was from July 22, 2010, and it listed the 5 worst owners to trade with, and I'm certain that my leagues feature all 5 of them.

Here's a link to the article but I'm going to switch around the explanations a bit to fit football instead of baseball:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/fantasy-roto-arcade/fantasy-rant-five-worst-owners-youre-looking-trade.html

1. The Junk Peddler - He's the guy who thinks 5 pennies equals a quarter. He thinks offering Robert Woods, Rueben Randle, and Marvin Jones FOR Dez Bryant is a good offer. When you reject, he throws in a 7th rounder to sweeten the deal.

2. The Essayist - He's the guy who gives you a six page paper as to why you should trade Charles Clay for Chris Ivory, ironing out how the trade makes sense for both teams and that their values are similar.

3. The Ricciardi - He's the guy who can never get himself to pull the trigger on ANY deal. Doesn't matter how long you've discussed it and how many offers have been made, the trade sits on the table for days and either finally gets rejected or it expires.

4. The Canceller - He's the guy who offers you a trade, but before you can pull it up, revokes it. He either sends it and then has second doubts immediately, or he purposely sends it and revokes it with hopes that you see it and comment on whether or not you are interested.

5. The Guy Who Ignores Your Needs - He's the guy who offers you Colin Kaepernick, even though you already have Aaron Rodgers, Matthew Stafford, and Eli Manning, then wonders why in the world you aren't interested in Kaepernick.

Personally, 1 through 4 hit pretty accurately in my league. Just curious as to how common these people are in other leagues, or if my league is a minority.
I am #2. The first step in recovery is admitting you have a problem.

I know a few #2's, have litterally never seen it work.All it does is scare timid owners and annoy savvy ones.

If you have to explain your offer, your offer is bad, ot they are bad and not going to understand it, or , think theyre being swindled

Last edited by a moderator:

As the most active trader in my league, I use all of these techniques at some point except number 3. I rarely back down from a deal. I usually consider who I am dealing with and act accordingly.

ETA- I would also propose to add "the over reactor" to the list. The guy who is shocked and appalled by your reasonable offer, or the fact that you don't want his horrible offer. Always seems to value his pieces more, yet wants to get rid of them.

6. YouShouldTradeHimBecauseGuy - The guy who wants a player from you, but tells you all his faults and reasons why said player isn't any good and you should trade him.

6. YouShouldTradeHimBecauseGuy - The guy who wants a player from you, but tells you all his faults and reasons why said player isn't any good and you should trade him.
OMG I hate this guy. I have a guy like this in a couple of my leagues. Every time he tries to trade with me for a particular guy, he explains all the cons of owning said player. I then always respond with "Well, why are you trying to trade for him then?".

Hahahaha yes, this one deserves to be mentioned. Good call! I do that a little bit, I must admit.

Aren't we all Junk Peddlers at some point. Everyone knows that you buy low and sell high. When selling a house you don't ask for is value, you ask for more and hope that you end up agreeing on a price that's around it's value.

It's smart to offer what you think is a crap trade because that person may just bite. If they don't like it that's what the counter offer button is for. Just don't make them too outrageously bad.

Aren't we all Junk Peddlers at some point. Everyone knows that you buy low and sell high. When selling a house you don't ask for is value, you ask for more and hope that you end up agreeing on a price that's around it's value.

It's smart to offer what you think is a crap trade because that person may just bite. If they don't like it that's what the counter offer button is for. Just don't make them too outrageously bad.
You're wrong. This is NOT the best way to start negotiations, it is a sure fire way to get me not to respond to you.

You're wrong. This is NOT the best way to start negotiations, it is a sure fire way to get me not to respond to you.
I couldn't agree more. There are a couple guys in a dynasty league that I run that complain that noone will trade with them. I look at the offers they are sending and they are atrocious. The recipient of the offer immediately rejects it and ignores every single email from that owner going forward.

Sounds to me the one rejecting is the problem. All you have to do in counter and if you find the next offer just as ridiculous then you can ignore them. I'm not saying you should always offer crappy trades but you should try to make a trade that you feel benefits you more.

I've never been a fan of people who feel their players are the greatest players in the league and must receive a premium for them. I find this happens a lot. Everything thinks what they have is worth more than what anyone else has to offer.

I have a fellow in one league that is a 1,2 and 5.

It's so bad that I've just stopped dealing with him. I look at every offer but don't read the comments or respond to emails anymore. Nor do I even bother with counter offers.

I've tired to counter on these incredibly unbalanced offers with a short note like "this is want I want for said player/pick"

And I will get the original offer again with an angry "That offer was more than fair and blah blah blah"

Sounds to me the one rejecting is the problem. All you have to do in counter and if you find the next offer just as ridiculous then you can ignore them. I'm not saying you should always offer crappy trades but you should try to make a trade that you feel benefits you more.

I've never been a fan of people who feel their players are the greatest players in the league and must receive a premium for them. I find this happens a lot. Everything thinks what they have is worth more than what anyone else has to offer.
I think what happens is that the offer is so bad that the recipient of the offer just figures the guy is a complete tool and he's never going to get any value out of a trade with the guy. I know that's what I think when I get offers that bad. I counter in most cases and I do alot of trades but I'm just telling you that your method of grossly low balling can backfire on you. I've seen it happen. No matter who's at "fault", you will get the result of getting ignored more than half the time.

You sound like perhaps you fall into one of these categories? Maybe hit a nerve? You seem a bit defensive. I'm just kidding.

This list is mostly about the people that offer trades but that's because the person that gets offered the trade doesn't have any bearing or impact on the league unless someone else starts the trade talks. That's almost it's own thread though.

I think what happens is that the offer is so bad that the recipient of the offer just figures the guy is a complete tool and he's never going to get any value out of a trade with the guy. I know that's what I think when I get offers that bad. I counter in most cases and I do alot of trades but I'm just telling you that your method of grossly low balling can backfire on you. I've seen it happen. No matter who's at "fault", you will get the result of getting ignored more than half the time.
I agree with you when it comes to grossly low balling. I don't recommend that. You don't want it to be extremely obvious. I myself look at every trade offered to me.

You sound like perhaps you fall into one of these categories? Maybe hit a nerve? You seem a bit defensive. I'm just kidding.

This list is mostly about the people that offer trades but that's because the person that gets offered the trade doesn't have any bearing or impact on the league unless someone else starts the trade talks. That's almost it's own thread though.
I think we all fall into these categories from time to time. I admit to being the Junk Peddler occasionally. I also have a tendency to overvalue some of my players. My biggest problem is worrying about making the wrong choice. I'm always afraid that the player I get rid of will be the reason the other team wins and the player I received does nothing to help.

Last year I had a bunch of great receivers and had Golden Tate on my bench most weeks so I tried trading him for a RB. I ended up trading Tate for Sankey straight up figuring that Sankey might come on strong at the end of the season and I wasn't using Tate anyway. Tate went on to put up some of his best games after that and Sankey was a dud.

I would like to add,

The Nothing - Never responds or offers. Any offer sent to him just sits in the abyss until the timer expires. No emails, comments or communication in general.

Obviously they are the worst trade partner but the are also the worst league member possible. I will take all the bad trade partners in a league over being in a league with these people.

I would like to add,

The Nothing - Never responds or offers. Any offer sent to him just sits in the abyss until the timer expires. No emails, comments or communication in general.

Obviously they are the worst trade partner but the are also the worst league member possible. I will take all the bad trade partners in a league over being in a league with these people.
How about the guy who only trades with one other guy and never responds to other offers and then disappears for 30 days without signing into the league, then signs in and trades again with the one guy and disappears again for 60 days.

7. TheOnlyWaitsForOffersGuy - This guy makes trades if they are offered to him, but never offers a trade to ANYONE.

I would like to add,

How about the guy who only trades with one other guy and never responds to other offers and then disappears for 30 days without signing into the league, then signs in and trades again with the one guy and disappears again for 60 days.
That sounds like borderline conclusion. Might need a different thread for that but he sounds like he could get a The Nothing title for that.

I'd like to add the "The Name Brander"

Only values players based on their name and prior performance, irregardless of current situation (injuries, age, roster, performance, etc).

I know a few #2's, have litterally never seen it work.All it does is scare timid owners and annoy savvy ones.

If you have to explain your offer, your offer is bad, ot they are bad and not going to understand it, or , think theyre being swindled
Hate these types. Like to talk down your players and then try to make you feel like they're doing you a favor. I like to play along to get their hopes up. Then ignore the offer. Give it a couple of weeks then send them a quick note saying your still interested. They bite every time.

I would like to add,

Great posting. Funny thing is that guy rarely comes out ahead in any deal.

I'd like to add the "The Name Brander"

Only values players based on their name and prior performance, irregardless of current situation (injuries, age, roster, performance, etc).
Love these guys on draft day in redraft leagues.

7. TheOnlyWaitsForOffersGuy - This guy makes trades if they are offered to him, but never offers a trade to ANYONE.
I'm a bit guilty of this.

I like most of my teams. If I really want to change something up, I make offers, but I don't sit around searching for offers that I can make, either.

Not everyone likes to trade just to trade.

The Badmouth My Own Player - The guy who offers you a deal, you reject, and he basically tells you how the guy he offered is great, and the guy you kept is garbage. Well, then aren't you dumb for offering it?

How about the guy who acts like he is glad that you rejected it? You send him a message stating how the offer was good but just not good enough, and he replies with "that's fine, I'd rather have my guys anyway." Have encountered plenty of those people.

The "I'm not even sure I'd do this, but...." guy. A sneaky way to gauge your temperature on an offer without making the offer. I guess it's a tactic for guys who fear rejection. Or maybe it's their way of making sure they are not asked to add any more value to the deal because they are already on the fence as it is.

Either way my response is usually, "probably not, but once you decide send it over and I'll take a look." Gotta fight fire with fire.

The "I'm not even sure I'd do this, but...." guy. A sneaky way to gauge your temperature on an offer without making the offer. I guess it's a tactic for guys who fear rejection. Or maybe it's their way of making sure they are not asked to add any more value to the deal because they are already on the fence as it is.

Either way my response is usually, "probably not, but once you decide send it over and I'll take a look." Gotta fight fire with fire.
Yep, that's me. I do include multiple possible deal structures in the email to gauge interest--sometimes it is an effective conversation starter or way to gauge value.

What about the waiver trader? Picks up a guy off the wire that just had 1 amazing week out of 7 and tries to package him with a WR3 for your RB1.

Who i cant stand is the handcuff stasher, overdrafts everyone handcuffs then doesnt log in for a month. Shows up randomly one day and sends you an offer of kniles davis for dez bryant. Seriously #### this guy.

Mea culpa

Sometimes these two traits come in the same package. The type of guy who sends you loads of terrible offers and always has a great story for why you should be eager to accept his trash. Pure comedy.

#1 is easy to spot and easy to avoid, but problematic if you find yourself in a league with my #6: The Fish. AKA the guy who relentlessly spews all the value on his roster in a series of bad deals until he's finally left with nothing. These types often bail on the league after 1-2 years of feeding other owners. If they stick around for the long haul, the league turns into a game of "who can rip off the mark fastest?", which suits The Junk Peddler types really well.

THE TRADE JUNKIE how about all the owners that think trading at all cost, any cost, is the name of the game and can't wait to make the next trade regardless of roster composition, strategy, etc. to obtain the "trade high"and also think an 'active' league is defined by # of trades consummated. Then belittle owners who don't make three trades a week to satisfy their addiction....these guys kill me.

Chapelboy said:
THE TRADE JUNKIE how about all the owners that think trading at all cost, any cost, is the name of the game and can't wait to make the next trade regardless of roster composition, strategy, etc. to obtain the "trade high"and also think an 'active' league is defined by # of trades consummated. Then belittle owners who don't make three trades a week to satisfy their addiction....these guys kill me.
This guy in our league is also the canceler. I think he does the "cancel" just to see if you come back with "well I would have done that" and then sends a different variation of that offer......

I hate the, "let me think about it" and it always turns into 3 days or a week later.

I'm the trade junkie - In dynasty.

I do also hate the person who texts you and offer, you accept it, then offer it on the site and they quickly change their mind because of how easy it was for you to say yes via text message.

I don't like haggling over players like a used car dealer, so I hate the 'Lowball offer to get things started' guy and the 'What do you want for Player X?' guy.

I don't like haggling over players like a used car dealer, so I hate the 'Lowball offer to get things started' guy and the 'What do you want for Player X?' guy.
For me, a big part of the fun is haggling.. As long there respect for owner's own knowledge/opinions on players I think its great to 'talk shop' while working out potential trades. I try to never send a trade that I don't feel is at least a little in my favor, but probably have sent my fair share of lowballs. I think there is a fine balance between lowballing & starting off negotiations right.

"What do you want for Player X" always leaves me nonplused. I usually respond, "I have no idea" - which is true in that if I knew what I wanted in return from them for Player X, I would have already made an offer to them.

"What do you want for Player X" always leaves me nonplused. I usually respond, "I have no idea" - which is true in that if I knew what I wanted in return from them for Player X, I would have already made an offer to them.
I ask that all the time but I'm not asking what specific player(s) they want. Say I get a notification that a manager has placed Player A on the Trade Block. I will send him a message just like that, asking "what do you want for Player A?" and they will reply with "I'd like to get a WR2 back" or if it's during/before the draft they may say "I'd like to get a 2nd rounder for him." Or perhaps they are looking for a LB3. I don't think you can say that you already would have made an offer if you knew, you're likely not going to go look around at everyone's team trying to come up with something to offer. That's the point of putting on trade block, and when I place guys on trade block, I always have a general idea of what I want in return. So, when I receive the question "what do you want for Player A?" I don't take offense at all, I always have an idea of what I want to receive in return. Occasionally, I'll trade a guy without needing anything in return, and for those times I'd just say "nothing specific but of similar value" but that's usually when I'm just dying to get someone off my roster.

So, maybe I'm in the minority but I don't take that question as "what player do you want for him?" Moreso it's just asking what you are looking for in return. Normally an answer to that question gives you a foundation to start a trade.

The "I fell in love with my team" guy - You're 2-6 and are starting Bishop Sankey at RB with a plethera of WR's and you really think things will start turning around and content right now.

One thing is clear, we all have our different ways of going about trading.. This is why I keep a spreadsheet of all league-mates with notes on their favorite team, players & also what type of trader they are. It's been a nice resource since I've started doing it that past few years.

Users who are viewing this thread